Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2017, 12:09   #346
BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

There has been regular mention of some mattress retaining heat. I am a bit confused: memory foam- yes/no, latex- yes/no? In a Delhi summer it becomes critical parameter. Can someone please summarise which mattress materials retain heat?
Old 14th January 2017, 12:55   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
... Can someone please summarise which mattress materials retain heat?
I think that breathability is the key. I'm guessing that the area of mattress I'm lying on takes on the heat of my body, whatever the material. The huge difference is sweaty/non-sweaty.

Latex is non-sweaty. It breathes. It feels cool.
Old 15th January 2017, 01:12   #348
BHPian

Quote:
memory foam- yes/no?
Definitely memory foam retains heat. My spinekare kurlon has about 2.5" of memory foam while my kids kurlon has 4". I feel theirs is definitely hotter. My spinekare one doesn't feel it much but summers can be tough. We use the acs round the year so that helps, however the 4" euro top o! my kids mattresses does feel warm to me.
Old 15th January 2017, 01:47   #349
BHPian

Like many users here, I was in search of a good mattress and came across the Sunday Matress on Facebook. I thought it was some gimmicky brand but thought of taking a look.
I found their address and paid them a visit.
They were operating out of a 3 BHk house and served us green tea with soaked almonds.
Left us in the room to try out both their products for about 10 minutes.
Came back and explained why Latex mattresses are better and how they source their latex from Belgium.
We loved the full latex 6" Sunday Latex Plus mattress.
I came home and ordered it online. It coated about 36 or 37k which came with a 100 day trial period.

It has been 6 months now and I never regret this purchase. One of the best purchases we ever made.
No issues of heat retention. Super comfy to the extent that we don't like Hotel mattresses anymore.

Also, if you use the email ID of an existing curomer as a referral code, you get a 1000/- bucks discount for both parties.

I strongly strongly recommend this brand to anyone willing to shell out that kind of money because you will thank me every night (not literally, but yeah, literally )

EDIT: Their office has now moved to a commercial building on ORR near Rammurthy nagar. Very easy to find for any Team-bhpian. It's bang opposite the swanky new NEXA showroom on ORR

Last edited by Coplay : 15th January 2017 at 01:49. Reason: Added more info.
Old 15th January 2017, 20:52   #350
BHPian

Thanks to all those who responded to my previous query. So memory foam is out of the way. I am now looking for firm pocket spring mattress or latex mattress.

There is a lot of recommendation for Sunday mattress but they do not have an experience centre in Delhi yet. I would not buy without experiencing it first.

Yesterday we visited few dealers listed on SpringAir and Peps websites. None of them has these two brands. They mostly have Kurlon, Sleepwell and few lesser known brands. When it comes to spring mattress I would like to go for brands which have had long experience in making it. I am not sure whether Kurlon and Sleepwell can be trusted in spring mattress. Sealy is a bit expensive and have limited range of product in India. Serta and Tempur are beyond my budget.

A few amusing things about our shopping yesterday.
Some shops have cushion size samples and ask us to sit on it. Seriously? So you think I am buying for a sofa?
One shop keeper told me Peps Restonic is the export brand of Kurlon. Quite ingenious I must say.
Old 16th January 2017, 01:40   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all those who responded to my previous query. So memory foam is out of the way. I am now looking for firm pocket spring mattress or latex mattress.
Well I'd asked a similar question a few months back and being so unlucky with mattresses until now, I've taken no decision thus far. Flipped the existing foam mattresses upside down and they've become nice and soft once again (the quilted side had gone a bit hard and stiffer after 2 years). Though some money could've been spared towards better comfort for a new mattress, I guess this has "turned" to be cheapest solution possible, though temporary.

Did waste a few hours trying out mattresses, to be frank there is nothing to "try" at the store, Serta was soft and supportive but that's all I took away from the brief sit, Tempur LOL, the prices scared me right out and Sleepwell was all a mix of neither-here-nor-there, i.e neither soft nor hard.

I'm a cautious buyer, I try to read up thoroughly before buying anything trying to cut through marketing b.s. Furniture and mattresses, though.. I want nothing to do with because comfort is a strangely vague, obtuse concept. Till I'm fully convinced no move shall be done in this regard.

Serta Latex is the best bet at a medium budget, I almost came close to pulling the wallet for that, but didn't. Short of that Sleepwell has a good collection of similar materials at about 60% of the cost (with 2 inch memory foam on top if I remember). I'm still not convinced about Sunday despite the glowing reviews, perhaps due to my allergy towards young companies not being able to prove themselves 9 times out of 10, maybe this is among the 1/10. They need to have more showrooms and ready stocks though, this Flipkart/Amazon type system of delivery is a joke as far as mattresses are concerned.
Old 30th January 2017, 16:50   #352
BHPian

After going through various choices/ options have zeroed in on king koil chiropedic 3000 which has high tension bonell coils and is medium firm . This will
Be a replacement for my 8" spring well which has sagged and deformed in 8 years of heavy usage.
The deal for 8" is pretty good as I'm averse to spend anything upwards of 25k for a queen.
The only hitch is that there are not many reviews on the net in India for king koil.
Does anyone own a king koil spring mattress and is willing to share the experience including quality and after sales ?
Old 6th February 2017, 21:03   #353
BHPian

Guys,

Need help.

Iam confused between urban ladder comfort ( 6,8,10 inch) urban ladder cloud natural ( 7 inch) and Sunday mattress ( 6 inch).

I haven't seen or tested any of the above mattress and my short listing is purely based on few reviews.

Can the actual users of these mattresses provide their feedback. Is there anyone over here who has used both urban ladder and Sunday? Which one would you recommend. My requirement is a comfortable mattress with either spring or latex or watever ( except memory foam) Any other recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LoneWolf9 : 6th February 2017 at 21:05.
Old 6th February 2017, 21:41   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Guys,

Need help.

Iam confused between urban ladder comfort ( 6,8,10 inch) urban ladder cloud natural ( 7 inch) and Sunday mattress ( 6 inch).

I have the Cloud Natural matresses in my holiday home in all bedrooms . Absolutely awesome matresses . You should call them up and check if you could try them ou somewhere . Am sure they would work out something .

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th February 2017 at 07:57. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 8th February 2017, 14:32   #355
BHPian

I finally bought Peps Restonic Carousel Eurotop. I had been on the lookout for a mattress on the firmer side due to lower back problem. Last year I bought a very firm Sleepwell mattress but found it too hard. So I started looking for a slightly soft mattress. Online research also showed that slightly soft mattresses work fine for people with lower back pain.

Sealy pocket spring was available at 50% discount for an amount of Rs.29k for queen size. But I found that to be a bit too soft. They also had a bonnel spring version but there is too much transfer of disturbance across the mattress. Also tried Sleepwell pocket spring but the top foam layer felt cheap. Finally tried bare bone Peps Restonic pocket spring mattress. The sales man said it is categorised as medium firm. It certainly felt firm but not too hard. They also had a eurotop version, which we felt was very comfortable. The eurotop, which is supposedly made of micro fibre, added a certain plushness to the mattress. Have been using it for almost one week. It is comfortable. Mrs wants it softer; for me it is okay, need to see whether my back reacts adversely to it. Amount paid for queen size is Rs.27k.

Peps Restonic is also available in other trims like Ardene, Fontaine, etc. Price and warranty period goes up accordingly. Carousel seems to be the base version.

For the marketing gurus: I was attracted to Peps brands due to the name and sound of the word, even though that's not the only reason I choose to buy Peps. Snoozer also sounds very good (aurally) for a mattress brand. So I suppose words and sounds are very important in brand recognition.
Old 8th February 2017, 15:17   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Sealy pocket spring was available at 50% discount for an amount of Rs.29k for queen size.
Do you mind sharing where this was available? I see fabfurnish is pretty expensive.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:35   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Do you mind sharing where this was available? I see fabfurnish is pretty expensive.
It's at Mall of India, Noida. That was more than one week back, I had enquired on Republic Day.

The salesman where I bought the Peps said that Sealy is about to close down in India, that's why they are having clearance sale. Could be true, or could be about bitching another brand which they do not represent.
Old 14th February 2017, 01:29   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
I have the Cloud Natural matresses in my holiday home in all bedrooms . Absolutely awesome matresses . You should call them up and check if you could try them ou somewhere . Am sure they would work out something .
Thank You. Do they have an experience center @ Pune?
Old 18th February 2017, 00:51   #359
BHPian

Urban ladder has experience center only in Bangalore.

They couldn't help me with my request. All they said is that they have a return policy.

Iam still confused what to order. Is soft foam better or latex?
Old 18th February 2017, 20:05   #360
Senior - BHPian

Natural Latex is a far better proposition than man made foam, soft or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Urban ladder has experience center only in Bangalore.

They couldn't help me with my request. All they said is that they have a return policy.

Iam still confused what to order. Is soft foam better or latex?

Most Viewed