Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 00:22   #331
BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Any review on Serta by the experts? The semi-affordable all-latex model i.e. Is Sunday as good as that @ 1/5th the cost? I know Tempurpedic is THE ultimate but its prices are truly of another world.

The existing all-foam mattress isn't plush enough, hard infact, never had much luck with great sleeping so this time the need is to stretch the extra mile to get the best there is.
I own two Serta mattresses - one Latex and one i-Series mattress.

The Latex is used by my dad who has a bad back and he really likes it. He hardly uses the AC in Coimbatore weather and the mattress stays cool as well. It is supposedly a natural latex mattress made with Dunlop technology which is different from other manufactures that either use Synthetic or technology used to make Latex pillows.

The i-Series mattress is used by me. It is a gel infused memory foam pillow top spring mattress. The spring is some patented spring from Serta which gives you more support for the body especially the back and gives you more sleeping space. I can feel the difference from my old Kurl-on pocketed spring mattress and I wake up to a very comfortable sleep nowadays.

I used to live in the US for over 15 years and brands such as Serta and Sealy are very popular there. When I got back I did not realize that Serta was in India and went with Kurl-on. After some research found that Serta had a store in Bangalore. I took trip down there and ordered the Latex mattress. The mattress was delivered directly to our doorstep without any additional shipping charges. Serta has now opened a showroom in Coimbatore, TN from where I got my mattress. We have also ordered a remote controlled operated Mattress called the Ergo from Serta for our Home theater which we are expecting to be delivered end of this month.

Overall we are very happy with Serta. A few of my friends have also brought a Serta mattress and they are also very happy. I suggest you check out their range. They have a very good range - hard to very plush mattress which will suite your needs. I think it is good money spent on something that we use almost a third of our life.

Last edited by crskumar : 12th October 2016 at 00:27.
Old 12th October 2016, 00:26   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post
Hi RanjitP1, I had done some research on shipping charges w.r.t mattresses when I had bought Sunday mattresses for my parents in Andhra a few months back. The fact is that everyone charges for shipping.

1. Traditional brands have different MRPs for different states. Just as an example, Peps Spring Koil in Delhi costs 6K more than Peps Spring Koil in Karnataka. Here are the screen shots. So essentially you are paying 6K for shipping!!

2. In the case of Sunday, they have one MRP and they charge around 2K for shipping additional.

I prefer the second one because it is more economical and transparent.

And lastly, +1 on the experience with Sunday mattresses. My folks have been really happy with the mattress.

Thanks,
Kiran
Not sure if all mattress companies charge shipping or have different MRPs. I have bought two Serta mattress. One from Bangalore for my dad before they opened a showroom in my hometown. Second from the Coimbatore showroom. The MRPs were the same and shipping to my dad's house as well to my 4th floor apartment was included.
Old 12th October 2016, 12:02   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Latex Plus mattress is meant for younger couples where as the Ortho Plus Mattress is meant for senior citizens. This is a just a rule of thumb, but it might be different in your case. You can speak to customer care team to understand what suits your better.
Going by some positive reviews here, I ordered them last week and deposited money in their account. Since then no confirmation yet despite multiple messages. Today I tried their phone numbers and they are closed. Are there some holidays going on or have they closed the setup?
Old 18th October 2016, 15:27   #334
Team-BHP Support

Update:: Apparently they were closed for Dushera holidays they shipped the mattress last week to Gurgaon. I am using 2 different kinds of Hush already, will share my experience when I get the same.
Old 18th October 2016, 16:43   #335
BHPian

I am using mattresses by KingCoil in my hotel as well as my home. Their spring mattress range is quite an all rounder, soft and supportive at the same time. It is a USA based company I think.
Old 30th November 2016, 15:36   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I know Tempurpedic is THE ultimate but its prices are truly of another world.
I had a Tempurpedic mattress for a few years, and I recently gave it away to a friend for free because I did not like it. I had a couple of problems with the Tempur:

1) The memory foam is too soft and inconsistent, especially for Indian weather conditions. In summers the Tempur feels like lying down on molasses, and during winters it becomes a firmer mattress. With the Bangalore weather, the quality of the Tempur changes every other month.

2) Tempurpedic traps a lot of heat, and I find that uncomfortable during the summers. I did not sleep well on the Tempur.

I switched to a Sundayrest Latexplus mattress for a fraction of what the Tempur cost me. I'm happy with its firm and supportive quality, and it doesn't trap heat either.

FYI - Sundayrest uses a Dunlop processed Latex, which is firmer and denser.

I do see Tempur working in places where the temperatures are much lower all the time.

Last edited by Kamen_rider : 30th November 2016 at 15:41.
Old 30th November 2016, 17:02   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
I do see Tempur working in places where the temperatures are much lower all the time.
There is some controversy. Memory foam, by its very nature, takes time to change its shape and accommodate one's moving body in the night. Latex can provide the same support but respond and change instantly.

I think that maybe people like that sensation of slow-motion sinking into memory foam. It does feel rather unique! But after nearly a decade on my latex bed (and yes, it is cool on a hot, sweaty night) I don't feel any attraction in much-more-expensive memory foam such asTempur. I wouldn't even change back to an expensive spring mattress, although I do feel that it offers the most luxurious sensation. Or a good one does: a bad one is torture!
Old 30th November 2016, 17:35   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't feel any attraction in much-more-expensive memory foam such as Tempur. I wouldn't even change back to an expensive spring mattress, although I do feel that it offers the most luxurious sensation.
A mattress is an extremely personal choice. I'm sure that a lot of people love Tempur for the same reasons I hate it.

After a priceband which ensures a certain standard, paying more money over it does not necessarily equate into a better sleeping experience.

I've even spent time with the ridiculous Hastens, but honestly like you I prefer the good ol' latex mattress.
Old 19th December 2016, 14:42   #339
BHPian

Am looking to get a new mattress as the cot is now king size and the earlier mattress is queen size. Looking for the following -

1. Excellent back support (this is the most important one)
2. Doesn't heat in summers
3. Will last for sometime (5-10 years)
4. Price doesn't cause me to sell of my house

Went to a shop and got to know of a brand name eclipse. Apparently a US brand and comes with latex or memory foam over bonded foam layer. Kurlon is the other one and then there was another brand (dont recall the name). Not looking for coir/spring mattresses. Any suggestions?
Old 19th December 2016, 22:00   #340
BHPian

Got a DIY idea after a recent visit to a Taj hotel. They brought a foldable mattress because we need extra bed for our son.

So we bought for ourself a Kurlon PU foam 3'x6', 4" thick, 40 kg/m3 density, had it cut into three equal parts, selected our choice of cover fabric (double layer, one fixed cover and one removable washable cover). So we now have our own foldable mattress, which can be conveniently stored away when not in use. It can even serve as a seat/bench.

The thing I like most about it is the possibilities for customisation. 40 density is quite supportive. However if you want a softer feel you can combine it with a 1" or 2" thick layer of lower density foam. So you can design your own mattress, foldable part is optional.
Old 22nd December 2016, 15:40   #341
BHPian

Any longterm reviews of the Sunday mattress? We need one Latex and one Ortho mattress?

What is the best Latex Mattress in the Rs 50,000 range. 5" or 6" mattress will suffice for me?
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:18   #342
Senior - BHPian

Explore this. It's pure natural latex mattress no springs etc.

http://www.springair.in/product-rest.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
What is the best Latex Mattress in the Rs 50,000 range. 5" or 6" mattress will suffice for me?
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:20   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Any longterm reviews of the Sunday mattress? We need one Latex and one Ortho mattress?
I can only talk about the two king-size mattresses I have.

The 10" Sobha Restoplus pocket-spring mattress with Latex Top I bought around three years ago is heavenly to sleep in and I am yet to find anything similar in any hotel I have stayed in India.

The Sunday Latex Plus mattress cost was around 30% less, their delivery was impeccable, and it has lasted well after more than a year of daily usage. In fact, it still looks brand new and the firmness/support hasn't varied as best as I can make out.

Both mattresses came with a 10-year warranty and I feel reasonably confident they would last 7-8 years at least. Of course, I also diligently rotate the mattresses every 3 months as recommended by both the manufacturers.
Old 26th December 2016, 11:51   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Explore this. It's pure natural latex mattress no springs etc.

http://www.springair.in/product-rest.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I can only talk about the two king-size mattresses I have.

The 10" Sobha Restoplus pocket-spring mattress with Latex Top I bought around three years ago is heavenly to sleep in and I am yet to find anything similar in any hotel I have stayed in India.

The Sunday Latex Plus mattress cost was around 30% less, their delivery was impeccable, and it has lasted well after more than a year of daily usage. In fact, it still looks brand new and the firmness/support hasn't varied as best as I can make out.
Thanks everyone for the Feedback guys.

The only latex mattress I tried till now was the Springwel one. It felt good and their service seems to be excellent. Springair also has an outlet in Hyderabad got to try that once. Sunday mattress is in cart. But Wife wants to checkout the latex mattress before taking the plunge.

One Question most of the reviews online rate Latex mattress as an excellent one for bad back. But none of the doctors here seem to suggest them. My in laws both of them suffer from serious back pain and they were told to use a real firm mattress. So for now I ordered a King Size Springwel Gloria mattress with HR Foam and Rebonded foam. It has a guarantee of 7 years
Old 26th December 2016, 12:25   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crskumar View Post
One Question most of the reviews online rate Latex mattress as an excellent one for bad back. But none of the doctors here seem to suggest them. My in laws both of them suffer from serious back pain and they were told to use a real firm mattress.
Again I can only speak from my own experience. In the cold winters of Bangalore, I woke up almost every morning with a frozen shoulder. I attributed this to the fact that I fell into an open sewer (thankfully it was dry and clean) many years ago. The initial dull ache eventually worsened to the point that I met an orthopedic surgeon and on imaging, he found that I did not have any broken bones or torn muscle or nothing at all. He was as nonplussed as I.

Then one day on a whim, I bought the Sunday Latex mattress and I am pleased to say that I have never had a frozen shoulder since. Actually I feel kinda stupid that I never once realized it was the mattress that was the source of my ailments. The Sunday mattress is quite firm, though not rock hard, I use it for myself and in my mind the real barometer of how good a mattress is can only be gauged after many years. However the only problem is that Sunday hasn't been around that long that anyone can form a definitive opinion on its longevity.

Indians have traditionally used coir or cotton (both of which tend to be rock-hard over time) or various types of PU foam such as memory foam. AFAIK, latex mattresses are a somewhat recent fad in India which is surprising considering that India is a leader in latex production (though Sunday seems to be getting its latex from Belgium). Most of the latex mattress manufacturers have sophisticated molding machines imported from abroad that create pinholes in latex to make it more supple and less bouncy.

@Thad has been using a latex mattress from Foams India for donkey's years until he lost it to the Chennai floods last year, so maybe he can provide some indication.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks