Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2015, 19:07   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Looks like a good deal. Am in the market for a replacement but have been using a memory foam mattress since 2006. Wondering if my body will be able to adjust to the firmer latex. This is probably the cheapest latex mattress I've seen but think it is a combo of foam and latex. Need to check some more.
I'm not sure that the comparison is valid, and can't be sure because I've never slept on memory foam --- only briefly tried it.

I read a comparison, once from a mattress company. The upshot, if I remember correctly, was that latext is less work for your body, because it changes its profile as and when you move, whereas memory foam takes time to deform and reform. Which is why it is called memory foam.

Latex can be had in different degrees of firmness. I think they put more holes in it, or adjust the bubble size.

Latex must be pure latex to be worth it. It is the pure stuff that breathes and feels cool all night, whereas synthetic foam (used to use a layer to soften one of those rock-hard choir mattresses) feels hot and sticky.

My wife and I have been sleeping on Latex for the past six or seven years. Back in UK, I had an expensive (couple of Lakh!) spring mattress/divan, but now... I vote for Latex!
Old 14th October 2015, 02:29   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

I think memory or latex cannot be distilled to which is better --- only to which is personally preferred.

Tempur prices? I couldn't afford a pillow, let alone a whole mattress! This is not just Indian-import pricing, either: it is prohibitively expensive abroad too.

I haven't thought about certification. There are two names that I know in this city, Foams India, and MM and I can't remember which our mattress is. I lay on it at an exhibition, and soon said "yes" --- but I had suffered on a very hard coir* for some time.

I forget but I think ours is Foams India. Gosh, I'm quite surprised to see the prices now! I don't remember what we paid then.

I can't check just now, as I am the only owl in the family and Mrs G is asleep.

* did I type choir before? !

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th October 2015 at 02:30.
Old 14th October 2015, 15:46   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for letting me know about the mistake in my early post. Here are the correct links:

Foams India.

MM foam.

Our mattress is a Foams India "Pearl" Mattress. I hadn't heard of Sunday Mattress before. Their warranties certainly seem good!

About our mattress: when we first took the cover off, after delivery, there was a solvent/rubbery smell. It all vanished in 24 hours, but it would have been good if we could have arranged things for it to air outside for a few hours before taking it to the bedroom.

I think it is seven years old. There is no sign of ageing whatsoever. there is no wear, no hollows, no sagging places; nothing like that at all. It looks like it just might be immortal! It is never sweaty. It is as comfortable on a Chennai midsummer or monsoon night with a power cut ---or, at least, as comfortable as anything could be in those unpleasant circumstances

Intesting what you say about the discount situation. Other countries have clamped down on the permanent "Sale Prices" thing, but, with the help of online shopping sites, it seems to be just getting worse here. Soon we will have street tea stalls with placards, "Tea, Rs.16: 50% discount today only! Rs.8!"*

Sunday doesn't have an outlet (according to website) in my city yet. If it did, and I was buying today, your reccommendation would carry a lot of weight with me. 100 days free trial is pretty good!

* Of course, discount only available if ordered using the app!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th October 2015 at 15:50.
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:03   #259
kcz
BHPian

I was looking for a mattress for my in-laws. The spring mattress that I had purchased about a couple of years sagged prematurely. The brand was not very forthcoming with their warranty service. So, we went through the same gig of visiting showrooms and taking 5 min trials on various mattresses. It was draining and confusing to say the least bit.

Bought snoozer for my parents around 1 1/2 years back and I almost decided to go with snoozer for in-laws as well.

I came across Sunday Ortho Plus online after much research. I was sold on the mattress in the first go, after looking at the website and amount of information given there. It is an online only mattress brand supported by very experienced international team in the backend.

The icing on the cake is their pricing, which is pretty aggressive. I think it is because they do not have the typical overheads of dealers, distributor margin and showroom costs.

I really did not have a reason to go with anything else, as they offer a 100 nights risk free trial and promised to delivery the same day.

Details given in the website were pretty good but I wanted to see the mattress before I placed the order. Visited their experience center in Kasturi nagar and experienced the mattress and interacted with the folks at Sunday before I took the plunge.

My in-laws have been using the mattress for more than 3 months now, and they really like the mattress.

Attaching a couple of pics I clicked at the experience center.

Thanks,
Kiran
Attached Thumbnails
Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider-sunday-1.jpg  

Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider-sunday-2.jpg  

Last edited by kcz : 22nd October 2015 at 10:04. Reason: added signature
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:07   #260
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

looking at this thread, I was keen on getting sunday mattress for myself. spoke to the guy some 3 weeks back, he seems knowledgeable & was ready to ship to delhi. I took my own time to make a decision. Finally I decided to take the risk & tried to place the order today but seems they has stopped servicing customer outside b,lore from previous week so they declined the order.

what are the alternates with in a budget of 20-25 K . I am looking for 2 single mattress of 72" x 36 " size. do not mind placing order online if feedback from members is good .
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:21   #261
BHPian

I was looking for a decent mattress to get my 10 year old 3" coir mattress. After lot of so called market research with different dealer with their respective brands helped me in getting confused . And then came the savior! I just went through this wonderful thread and finally decided to go for Esteem Supportec of My Mattress range from Sleepwell. I hope I am taking correct decision .
Old 31st December 2015, 17:46   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Have ordered for urban Ladder - Comfort cloud mattress.

It has a latex foam top, with pocket springs and has PU foam at the bottom. Will cost me 34K when delivered. I still am on the lookout for better mattresses at this price range, and will cancel my order if I find a better one at a similar price.

Thanks for the suggestion Khoj, but Snoozer range of mattresses just reminded me, that I am not very affluent

Was looking at MM Foam very keenly, but could not find a Latex top and pocket spring equivalent from their range...
So arvind have you gone with Urban Ladder mattress? If yes how is your feedback on them?
Old 31st December 2015, 23:24   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Mattress soaked in floodwater.

We went back to Foams India and ordered the same again. We feel we are sleeping in the same bed as before: we are happy!
Old 31st December 2015, 23:44   #264
BHPian

Any long term feedback on Sunday mattress? I am preparing to order one. I see some of the members are using it for quite a while.
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:03   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We went back to Foams India and ordered the same again. We feel we are sleeping in the same bed as before: we are happy!
Which specific model? I am in the market for twin mattresses for my kids as they have recently moved from their granny's room to their own room which has silk cotton mattresses and they are not happy about it. They have been used to the memory foam in gran's room and looking for something similar. i would liked to try Sunday but it is not available yet in Chennai.
Old 3rd January 2016, 22:13   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Which specific model?
Pearl, I think. 4 or 5 inch thickness, which ever is standard.

It's been a few years, and I guess prices have gone up. Ours was nearly 24K, for a small-double size, and that included a sorry-your-old-bed-got-flooded discount.

You'd better take the kids to the shop to try it. It is not like memory foam, because it adjusts to the body shape quickly and easily, whereas memory foam has a sort of lag because of... its memory.

Some like one; some like the other. You can find comparisons on the net.
Old 4th January 2016, 15:26   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
So arvind have you gone with Urban Ladder mattress? If yes how is your feedback on them?
Have been using this for a couple of months now, the other Bonell spring mattress that I wasn't complaining about suddenly feels like a punishment! I am much happier to sleep on the Cloud mattress from Urban Ladder.

From my stay at Marriott recently, I noticed that the mattress there gave me a better feeling overall, but the one at home, 'almost' is there. And for the money, I would call it a steal !
Old 7th January 2016, 09:15   #268
BHPian

I am in the market for full latex mattress.

Options are less unless I want to spend more than a lakh on king size.

Only Sunday and Eclipse are under or near rs.50000 mark.

Anyone here using Eclipse mattress? It is US based and has full Latex mattress.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:38   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Only Sunday and Eclipse are under or near rs.50000 mark.
Don't know much about Eclipse, but I am a user of the Sunday mattress.

First the positives:
  • The mattress looks durable and is backed by a 10 year warranty
  • Delivery in Bangalore is usually within hours of placing the order. Also no need to worry about lugging the mattress by yourself as they will put it on your bed, remove the plastic cover, install the mattress protector (extra) and so on.
  • Sunday seems to be a friendly company based on my limited interaction with them. Also I like to support local startups.
  • After using latex pillows for the last few years, the mattress even though full latex, is not as springy as the pillows which is good. This mattress should be considered to be on the firmer side, but is definitely a huge step up for those used to substandard mattresses of coir and cotton.
The only negative I can think of is that the Sunday mattress is not a patch on the pocket-spring mattress with latex-top that we have upstairs. I feel sleepy whenever I sit on the latter for 10-15 minutes. However I deliberately bought the full latex mattress as I felt it would withstand abuse better and last much longer since it is relatively low tech.

By the way, some other Indian manufacturers (Duroflex?) also make full latex mattresses, but if it is a slab of latex, it would be very springy.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:48   #270
BHPian

Thank you "nowwhat"

I have to go to their experience center and feel the product.

Did that with Eclipse and their latex mattress had good soft feel.

So far I have heard only good about Sunday. Certainly in my list to consider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks