Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 23:29   #181
BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

I recently purchased a crib/toddler bed for my 2 year old. What mattress type is recommended for kids? Also where can I get non standard sizes. This one is 57 x 29. For my use we have been using Kurl-On 5" (4" Coir + 1" foam) and pretty happy with it.

~maniac
Old 20th August 2014, 10:39   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
I recently purchased a crib/toddler bed for my 2 year old. What mattress type is recommended for kids? Also where can I get non standard sizes. This one is 57 x 29. For my use we have been using Kurl-On 5" (4" Coir + 1" foam) and pretty happy with it.

~maniac
I would only go for certified products. Oeko Tek and Green Gold certifications are the most trusted ones. In lay man's language, when naked skin of baby comes in contact with the mattress or if the toddler tries to lick, chew the edges of mattress, then there are no harmful chemicals. In addition, when you sleep on a mattress, you tend to inhale any emissions from the mattress. These tend to have long term harmful effects on health of both adults and babies. Babies are more vulnerable to these allergies and toxins.

There are no certified mattresses by Indian manufacturers though. Coir, Foam and other materials are processed using chemicals but they are cleaned as thoroughly to get rid of all the chemicals.

I would suggest two ways (a) go for a cotton mattress that is made of unbleached cotton (b) go for certified mattresses from an imported brand. There are a few available in India for around 50K for the size that you are talking about.
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:51   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post

I did face real bad issues with Snoozer in terms of post sales service. I know another colleague who has been having issues with his mattress too. So I guess its a combination of product and service. The best thing is to check with a good and transparent retailer and go with their recommendation.

My 2 cents. And good luck with your purchase
Thanks Kiran. I went ahead and booked Snoozer Classic at Esteem Agencies Marathalli. Been 22 days now, havent got the mattress yet. Esteem claims Snoozer has delayed the shipping. Sales guy at esteem is being extremely annoying in the follow up. Was able to meet the owner and have my nerves calmed now. Was told should get it in another 5 days and he offered a temporary mattress which i declined. Fingers crossed now to get it ASAP.
Old 29th August 2014, 14:02   #184
BHPian

Dear Friends,

Just wanted few suggestions from you people. I am getting myself a queen size cot (5*6.5 feet- low height).

I am looking out for a mattress. Recently visited a mattress dealer and came across many options. One particular mattress ' Duroflex soft O Plus' looked great for me. It is basically an extreme soft and cushion spring mattress. The cost for which works out close to 18K.

Please let me know whether there are any other options in this segment which I can look. Also I was told by someone that always the coir mattress are good support for the backbone and not the spring mattresses.

Please advice. Thanks in advance
Old 29th August 2014, 22:17   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Dear Friends,

Just wanted few suggestions from you people. I am getting myself a queen size cot (5*6.5 feet- low height).

I am looking out for a mattress. Recently visited a mattress dealer and came across many options. One particular mattress ' Duroflex soft O Plus' looked great for me. It is basically an extreme soft and cushion spring mattress. The cost for which works out close to 18K.

Please let me know whether there are any other options in this segment which I can look. Also I was told by someone that always the coir mattress are good support for the backbone and not the spring mattresses.

Please advice. Thanks in advance
Please check out kurl on fombed.
Strongly recommended.
Bought a pair for 13k recently.
Just about the best mattress I could find.
Hard for good support for the back, and at the same time soft enough for a snug sleep.
Plus 5 years replacement guarantee for any defect of any kind.
Old 29th August 2014, 22:38   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Dear Friends,

Also I was told by someone that always the coir mattress are good support for the backbone and not the spring mattresses.

I have so far always bought spring mattress and always repented after 1 year or earler. I have now promised myself never to buy another spring mattress.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:04   #187
BANNED

How about MM Foam mattress ?.
Old 12th October 2014, 22:12   #188
BHPian

I bought MM Foam Pin Core Latex Foam mattress two years ago.
It is a comfortable, not hard, but does not sink too much either. No back problems in two years.
Downside is that MM Foam does not have anything less than 4 inches of thickness.
It is much heavier than other mattresses that I have seen.
It retains heat during the summer, and hence is hotter than other mattresses.

I was looking for PU foam only from a good company, but none seems to exist.

Anyway, all mattresses other than latext seems to result in health problems at some point or the other
Spring
1) the spring gets bent, misshapen over time and fails to provide uniform support over a period of time. Because we cannot see the change in the shape, we keep using it beyond the time of use and eventually change it only when we have back pain.
2) Similar to spring, coir also changes shape over time
3) PU Foam/Memory foam etc. Made from petrochemicals. The mattress emits chemicals and can cause health problems.
4)Coir plus foam/Spring plus foam. Adhesives are use to glue the different layers together. These adhesives emit chemicals and are harmful to health.
5)Cotton. Dust mites thrive in cotton pillows/comforter/mattresses causing asthma.

I recently saw a brand called "Indofrench" which makes latex mattresses that are only 3 inches in thickness. Does anybody know anything about this brand? They are based in Pondicherry, and I see no problems with them so far . ...
Old 27th October 2014, 09:32   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuruvil View Post
I bought MM Foam Pin Core Latex Foam mattress two years ago.
It is a comfortable, not hard, but does not sink too much either. No back problems in two years.
Downside is that MM Foam does not have anything less than 4 inches of thickness.
It is much heavier than other mattresses that I have seen.
It retains heat during the summer, and hence is hotter than other mattresses.

I was looking for PU foam only from a good company, but none seems to exist.

Anyway, all mattresses other than latext seems to result in health problems at some point or the other
Spring
1) the spring gets bent, misshapen over time and fails to provide uniform support over a period of time. Because we cannot see the change in the shape, we keep using it beyond the time of use and eventually change it only when we have back pain.
2) Similar to spring, coir also changes shape over time
3) PU Foam/Memory foam etc. Made from petrochemicals. The mattress emits chemicals and can cause health problems.
4)Coir plus foam/Spring plus foam. Adhesives are use to glue the different layers together. These adhesives emit chemicals and are harmful to health.
5)Cotton. Dust mites thrive in cotton pillows/comforter/mattresses causing asthma.

I recently saw a brand called "Indofrench" which makes latex mattresses that are only 3 inches in thickness. Does anybody know anything about this brand? They are based in Pondicherry, and I see no problems with them so far . ...
I haven't had any problems with latex mattresses so far. They are pretty good and I hear the MM foam is a pretty decent brand over all for latex mattresses. I haven't heard of latex mattresses emitting heat irrespective of the brand.

3 inch mattresses are not worth it. I think they are toppers than mattresses. From experience I can say that a mattress should not be less than 6 inches. Sure you can use the 3 inch "mattress" as well, but I think you may be better off using it as a topper than as a stand alone mattress. I don't there is a perfect mattress as yet. What seems to work best are those from tried and tested products.

What people typically tend to over look is buying good pillows with the mattress. Mattress is only as good as the rest of the products that comprise the sleeping surface (pillows, sheets, duvet etc.,). I would stay away from memory foam pillows for sure.

My two recommendations for pillows - If someone needs ample pillow height and bit firm pillows (only 10% of the crowd falls into this category) then go with latex pillows. If you need a soft pillow and average pillow height (most of us fall into this category) that is of high quality, go with down pillow. These pillows may cost between 3k and 6k each, but it pays literally as it lasts much longer than the microfibre pillows. Yes microfibre pillows are ok and there is nothing bad about them, but they flatten out in 3-6 months time but the goose down or goose feather pillows don't.

Same thing goes with sheets - I am favourite of whites or other pastel but solid colors. I feel that "practicalities" or "maintenance" should be a consideration point but should not drive the choice. for this reason, the dark colors or the prints are not ideal since they are not soothing. People go for cheaper sheets thinking that they don't matter, but those who use the good quality 400 TC Egyptian Cotton sheets vouch for them. They cost a bit more but worth every penny.
Old 5th November 2014, 17:34   #190
BHPian

Hi,
I am a 31 year old male , 6 feet, slightly overweight. No health issues, no backpain issues due to God's grace.
1) Please suggest a good reliable cotton mattress maker in Hyderabad.
2) Also, do we have a Raha mattress dealer in hyderabad. I saw a dealer in Balanagar (Near BHEL R&D) claiming to be Raha dealer. I did not check. Can someone please confirm
3) My requirement is a good night sleep without any side effects (backpain to body , maintenance free mattress). I ranked Sobha Restoplus (pocketed spring), Raha, Snoozer, Bombay Dyeing mattress in the order of preference. Is it OK?
Old 5th November 2014, 22:35   #191
Senior - BHPian

Bombay Dyeing does not belong in that list. The source of their mattresses is unknown as is the quality since they are very new in terms of mattresses.
Rest of the name have their own manufacturing units and that's a +1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
I ranked Sobha Restoplus (pocketed spring), Raha, Snoozer, Bombay Dyeing mattress in the order of preference. Is it OK?
Old 15th November 2014, 21:31   #192
BHPian

Any feedback reg eclipse mattresses ? Saw them at Asrra Koramangala in Bangalore.

Also, any feedback on the sleep well pocket spring range with/without memory foam top ?

Looking for a vfm mattress for a king size bed. Something medium soft.
Old 17th November 2014, 16:54   #193
BHPian

Guys, I have shortlisted Raha 8" Pocketed spring with Foam mattress and Sobha Restoplus Alfa premium 8" pocketed spring with foam.

The measurement is 78" by 36". (6.5 feet length and 3 feet wide).

The rate quoted is 13.5k for Raha and 18k for Sobha.
Please share your thoughts/feedback and help me decide/finalize the mattress.
Your timely inputs will contribute to my lovely sleep
My current mattress is worn out and I need to get a new one soon.
Thanks in advance
Old 17th November 2014, 17:30   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
Guys, I have shortlisted Raha 8" Pocketed spring with Foam mattress and Sobha Restoplus Alfa premium 8" pocketed spring with foam.

The measurement is 78" by 36". (6.5 feet length and 3 feet wide).

The rate quoted is 13.5k for Raha and 18k for Sobha.
Please share your thoughts/feedback and help me decide/finalize the mattress.
Your timely inputs will contribute to my lovely sleep
My current mattress is worn out and I need to get a new one soon.
Thanks in advance
I have Raha pocketed spring (14" though) bought in Oct 2011. I wanted to buy a coir+foam mattress, but somehow ended up buying this one. After couple of years, the firmness of the mattress had gone down. I am now getting frequent back pains. It might be because of other factors, but this mattress is not helping much. I would not give this mattress a very good rating.
Old 17th November 2014, 19:00   #195
A.R
BHPian

Related Question: How do you dispose off your old mattresses? I live in an apartment and am finding it hard to get rid of the old mattress. No takers for free it looks like.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks