Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 12:44   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nationwide UID - will it work?

Slightly off topic but makes a lot of sense with regard to privacy of data.

Nationwide UID - will it work?-obamaapplecollectfingerprints.jpg

No offense meant to either Apple or Obama or anyone.
Old 18th September 2013, 13:48   #272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My friend, we give fingerprints for biometric swiping of our attendance in our office, don't we?
I have never given biometric attendance in my 20+ years of working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
UID is a good initiative. As a citizen I approve of it.

But will I approve implanting a small microchip at the time of childbirth and monitoring it throughout it's life?
Definitely not!
Don't worry, your children's generation will care even lesser than you. They will be fine with RFID as long as it's tied to LPG Subsidy or helps fight terrorists or gives them the convenience of not carrying even one I-card or the Govt may even hook it up to Facebook/Twitter like FourSquare - the RFID will automatically tweet out current location to your friends - think of the convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If the govt is ready to give me access to fingerprint/bank account etc., details of all its officers, I will return the favor happily, but its a one way street for now.
I think Govt giving their fingerprints etc to us is OK because they are our employees. We pay their salary. Why should we give them our fingerprints.

Last edited by carboy : 18th September 2013 at 13:53.
Old 18th September 2013, 14:07   #273
Senior - BHPian

Now with Nilekani slated to contest the polls, I am not too sure about the future.
Old 18th September 2013, 17:21   #274
BHPian

Quote:
The morning's papers are awash with speculation about Nandan Nilekani, Chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), fighting the next Lok Sabha elections on a Congress ticket. Since there is no smoke without fire, one can assume that the speculation is reasonably founded in fact. Good luck to him in his career. However, there's nothing surprising about it. Nilekani has been doing the UPA's dirty work of shoving a quasi-illegal Aadhaar card down our throats in the name of empowering the poor. If an articulate and intelligent man like Nilekani can push such a major initiative without any law backing it and still survive the political challenges, he is surely half a politician already.
http://m.firstpost.com/india/neta-ni...r-1116703.html

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2013 at 14:19. Reason: Adding QUOTE tag
Old 19th September 2013, 00:52   #275
BHPian

I am disappointed by the whole enrollment procedure and governance around it. The enrollment agencies are holding camps in apartments for Rs. 100 per head. It is illegal but convenient for common people because general enrollment camps are too crowded.

I received the card after 4 months of applying and the card left me disappointed - its a piece of photo paper. They should have printed it on a hard card like PAN card or DL etc. Afterall its our 'National ID'! I would be embarrassed to show this card as my national ID when I am out of India.

Last edited by pahwa : 19th September 2013 at 00:53. Reason: addition
Old 19th September 2013, 04:26   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
I am disappointed by the whole enrollment procedure and governance around it. The enrollment agencies are holding camps in apartments for Rs. 100 per head. It is illegal but convenient for common people because general enrollment camps are too crowded.

I received the card after 4 months of applying and the card left me disappointed - its a piece of photo paper. They should have printed it on a hard card like PAN card or DL etc. Afterall its our 'National ID'! I would be embarrassed to show this card as my national ID when I am out of India.
I guess UID card is not to be considered as a ID card, its more similar to a SSN (US type) the number is more important than card itself.

Here in US , SSN is just printed on a plain piece of paper, you UID # is what matters, which will be linked to your name.
Old 19th September 2013, 09:01   #277
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I guess UID card is not to be considered as a ID card, its more similar to a SSN (US type) the number is more important than card itself.

Here in US , SSN is just printed on a plain piece of paper, you UID # is what matters, which will be linked to your name.
No. SSN is more like our PAN number. UID is like "Real ID" in the US. Fortunately for them, most states rebelled against "Real ID" and passed their own laws opposing "Real ID".
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:55   #278
Senior - BHPian

Clearly a setback for Union Govt - Aadhar cards not compulsory, don’t give them to illegal immigrants: SC

Quote:
In a significant development, the Supreme Court on Monday ruled that Aadhar cards are not mandatory even as various state governments insist on making it compulsory for a range of formalities, including marriage registration, disbursal of salaries and provident fund among other public services.

A bench of Justices BS Chauhan and SA Bobde said, "The Centre and state governments must not insist on Aadhar cards from citizens before providing them essential services."

The apex court also directed the central and the state governments not to issue the Aadhar cards to illegal immigrants.

"The scheme is complete infraction of Fundamental Rights under Articles 14 (right to equality) and 21 (right to life and liberty). The government claims that the scheme is voluntary but it is not so. Aadhaar is being made mandatory for purposes like registration of marriages and others.
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:01   #279
Senior - BHPian

With due respects to the SC Aadhar is like Social Security in the US or Natl Insce. in the UK. Does attest to the residence status and definitely not nationality.
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:43   #280
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
With due respects to the SC Aadhar is like Social Security in the US or Natl Insce. in the UK. Does attest to the residence status and definitely not nationality.
What statement of the Supreme Court are you objecting to?
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:56   #281
BHPian

Finally, I was waiting long for this judgement and while everyone else in my family has got their cards, I was staunchly against giving fingerprints and retina scan to anyone even GoI. I knew that the SC will make the sates go back on any attempt to make UID compulsory and that has been done.

That's it no Aadhar Card for me, no sir, never sir.

Can't help saying this:

"Aadhar Card? We ain't got no Aadhar Card. We don't need no Aadhar Card! I don't have to show you any stinkin' Aadhar Card!"
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:15   #282
Senior - BHPian

@Mohitkumaar; Once the Aadhar subsumes all the other nos. (PAN, etc), and also gets linked to the Passport then you may change your mind. Imagine being in the UK without a National Insurance No (at least one in a couple), or in the US without a Social Security No. Even now you may not get the Gas subsidy reimbursement without a UID, or it will be made a pain in the backside!

Last edited by sgiitk : 23rd September 2013 at 15:35.
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:35   #283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
Finally, I was waiting long for this judgement and while everyone else in my family has got their cards, I was staunchly against giving fingerprints and retina scan to anyone even GoI.
I am remarkably happy to find there atleast a few people who aren't totally for Aadhar (me, you, sa_kiran, tsk1979 etc).

Any govt will love the concept of Aadhar. Hitler controlled the German citizenry by mandating national I.D. cards without which no one could obtain work, food or travel. It's we as the citizens who have to fight against it. In the US, there are organizations like the ACLU who fight against it. If there was an organization in India which would take up civil liberties causes like these, I would gladly donate to them, but I couldn't find any. There is a civil liberties organization, but they seem to be least bothered with these kind of issues.

Different Govts use different techniques to introduce a national ID card. USA used terrorism as an excuse to introduce Real ID. ACLU and others fought against it and RealID was not fully successful.
Quote:
He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.
India used corruption free subsidy transfer as an excuse to introduce a National ID card. Now they want to make it compulsory for marriage etc.

Re your statement regarding "even GoI" - I think the Govt (not particular to the Indian Govt - but the Govt of any country I am a citizen in) is probably the one organization I would be most afraid. Private organizations aren't as omnipotent as the Govt. There was an earlier post (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3233230) which was worried the data may land up in Pakistan. Quite frankly, I am more worried about what the Indian Govt can do with my data as compared to the Pakistan Govt - the Indian Govt has far more power over me than the Pakistan Govt.

Last edited by carboy : 23rd September 2013 at 15:41.
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:56   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Mohitkumaar; Once the Aadhar subsumes all the other nos. (PAN, etc), and also gets linked to the Passport then you may change your mind. Imagine being in the UK without a National Insurance No (at least one in a couple), or in the US without a Social Security No. Even now you may not get the Gas subsidy reimbursement without a UID, or it will be made a pain in the backside!
My key concerns with Aadhar are biometrics and compulsion.

Niether US SSN not UK NIN have biometrics! As far as compulsion is concerend, US states busted the Federal Govt for Real ID and in UK the National Identity Register busted the Labour Government.

As for Gas subsidy transfer, no price is high enough for liberty.

(There was a brilliant quote about liberty and price I read a few days back but Google failed me.)
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:17   #285
Team-BHP Support

In rural areas, the Aadhar implementation is done so badly, it alone can cost a lot of goodwill to the current government. Yesterday I was talking to my parents and an uncle at my native village. They are running out of adjectives to curse this aadhar and the new hoops they are expected to jump.

Almost nobody has correct addresses. The postmen don't know how to deliver these insanely incorrect addressed aadhar cards. My parents got their card because the postmen knew them for too long. The postmen has come up with a new strategy, they are telling people to come to post office and sift through the addresses to find their card. How secure! Most addresses are just village name repeated many times.

Here is my parents address. I don't mind posting since it is garbage, even the house number is fictional. My uncle who lives in our ancestral home in the same compound has a completely different fictional address.

Nationwide UID - will it work?-wp_20130922_008.jpg

The same stupid people who implemented this are going to link our bank account, PAN, ration card, passport and every thing else? This is the garbage we can see, what about the garbage that we can't see?

No, I don't want these incredibly incompetent people getting access to all my information. They will make a mess of of everything.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd September 2013 at 16:46.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks