Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2018, 22:34   #2041
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

With regular rains, potholes have mushroomed in both PMC & PCMC area.
Road surfaces are so elastic & potholes so scalable that it would put a cloud service provider to shame.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 11:27   #2042
BHPian

Don't we have Palki Processions today (6th July) for Sant Tukaram Maharaj.
Starting from Dehu Gaon, to Akurdi with Night halt at Akurdi Vitthal Mandir.
Following areas will be affected (this is the Palki route - what I read):

Talegaon, Akurdi , Nigdi , Pradhikaran, Yamuna Nagar , Chinchwadgaon, Chinchwad Station.

Plus the rain around the corner, can be a perfect recipe for traffic nightmare (read disaster).
Anyone travelling to the above mentioned areas, please be careful to avoid the traffic mess en-route.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 6th July 2018 at 11:33.
Old 17th August 2018, 11:01   #2043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Took this route over the weekend for a short spin out of the city. Total time taken to complete the loop is < 2 hours. It's a fun drive with some breathtaking views the country side has to offer.
Hi Kiran,

Did you come across any decent places to have breakfast (with family) on the stretch from Paud to Kale (where you must've turned right for Kamshet)?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 17th August 2018, 12:31   #2044
BHPian

Sorry Folks for the OT post, but do we have any tbhp whatssapp pune group. If so can someone give me the number to join. Much appreciated
Old 17th August 2018, 12:52   #2045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Sorry Folks for the OT post, but do we have any tbhp whatssapp pune group. If so can someone give me the number to join. Much appreciated
There is one and I had been a member long time back. Its a hyperactive group.
Search for bhpian "599gto" and send him a message to add you to the group. That's how it worked for me back then.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 08:27   #2046
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi Kiran,

Did you come across any decent places to have breakfast (with family) on the stretch from Paud to Kale (where you must've turned right for Kamshet)?

Cheers,
Vikram

I relied on Shripad misal for breakfast. Don't think there are any other decent places on that route. I am too paranoid to explore as well
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 10:08   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi Kiran,

Cheers,
Vikram
Go to Hadshi temple right after Kovlan. That's my usual stop for temple and snacks as well.
There are no good places for meals anywhere. But, next to parking at entrance of the temple, there is a 'cafeteria' (exaggerated by ~100 times). But, this is a good family stop for a quick bite (snacks only) in my opinion.
I have also started taking tiffin whenever I got to slightly offbeat places. For 20 bucks, any roadside corner (like a few at the foothills of forts) would warm the food. That's the best case for me.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 09:20   #2048
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, any suggestions for a cafe (like German Bakery or similar) joint that I can sit for a few hours and work in PCMC/Pimple Saudagar area?
Old 13th September 2018, 10:02   #2049
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks, any suggestions for a cafe (like German Bakery or similar) joint that I can sit for a few hours and work in PCMC/Pimple Saudagar area?

Fuel Cafe (has own parking space), Peter Donuts - both in Vishal Nagar, Pimple Nilakh.
AJ
Old 13th September 2018, 16:37   #2050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJo View Post
Fuel Cafe (has own parking space), Peter Donuts - both in Vishal Nagar, Pimple Nilakh.
AJ
Thanks, but decided to park myself at a CCD
Old 28th October 2018, 09:48   #2051
BHPian

These days, there is an ongoing drive in Pune for vehicles stopping over Zebra Crossings on signals.
I feel that people here are simply not aware of the concept of Zebra Crossing. As most of my driving has been on Delhi's ring roads and New Delhi, I instinctively stop before the horizontal line at Zebra crossing. In Pune, without exception, this has resulted into people behing me honking and occasionally staring in disbelief. The silver lighting is that people on the road are far too nice by Delhi standards and no one has stepped out with a club in his hand, yet. Rarely, some college going kids did do air-slaps (the equivalent of middle finger in most cultures). But that's about it.

In my opinion, given the level of ignorance, instead of fining them right away, police should start with educational campaigns and put boards on signal warning people about the fines.
Old 28th October 2018, 17:08   #2052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
These days, there is an ongoing drive in Pune for vehicles stopping over Zebra Crossings on signals. I feel that people here are simply not aware of the concept of Zebra Crossing.
I read about these drives and fines and all, but I have hardly seen these first hand. People are blatantly abusing all traffic laws everyday at all junction points, signals and everywhere.

Either the fines have to hefty (1000+ INR) or the person's vehicles should be confiscated for a day or two, only then people might understand the severity. Education, social marketing, advertisement or even Akshay Kumar cannot put sense into these morons heads. These severe fines or punishments should not be a one day or one week "social media" act. It should be done for at least 3-4 months, until people get used to NOT breaking the laws.

Just today morning, my 65 year old aunt was trying to cross a junction on Paud Road near Kothrud Bus depot. No one was stopping for her and even for red traffic signal. Finally, I jumped into the middle of the road and stopped the vehicles and helped my aunt. Zero pedestrian empathy and zero traffic sense galore !
Old 28th October 2018, 17:26   #2053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I feel that people here are simply not aware of the concept of Zebra Crossing. As most of my driving has been on Delhi's ring roads and New Delhi, I instinctively stop before the horizontal line at Zebra crossing. In Pune, without exception, this has resulted into people behind me honking and occasionally staring in disbelief. The silver lighting is that people on the road are far too nice by Delhi standards and no one has stepped out with a club in his hand, yet.
In my opinion, given the level of ignorance, instead of fining them right away, police should start with educational campaigns and put boards on signal warning people about the fines.
You couldn't have summarized the situation here, any better!

BTW, over the last few days, as you might be aware, the Pune Police alongwith the Municipal Corporation have planned a drive to decongest 100 locations in various parts of the city by undertaking anti-encroachment and other traffic enforcement initiatives.
Related news article.

And at the helm of these affairs, is a dynamic IPS officer, Tejaswi Satpute, who has shown willingness to take the (traffic mes) bull by the horns.
Related news article.

Hoping Pune will see acchhe din soon, atleast on the traffic front.
Old 30th October 2018, 05:35   #2054
Senior - BHPian

There is a lighter note to read in this article. I was still left out of words if someone can deflate your ride and charge you a fine for parking in their spot, which to me does not seem like private property at all.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2018...cious-attitude
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 15:19   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I was still left out of words if someone can deflate your ride and charge you a fine for parking in their spot, which to me does not seem like private property at all.
That my friend, is quintessential Pune!

For more such "classics" and to understand the way people go about declaring their intentions - be it traffic, lifestyle, mannerisms etc.there are host of websites dedicated to such idiosyncrasies (if they can be called as such).

Here is a link to one of the crazy collectors' site.
and ofcourse the so-called official Facebook version, over here.

Welcome to Jurassic Park!
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks