Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 16:10   #721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
puncture wala can set shop there and use the pothole to check for leaks from the tube
Hello Desmosedici,

I believe you generally used to take Aarey road for home - office - home commute. But since last two days I am seeing your updates over traffic situation on WEH.

Has Aarey road gone so bad that you do not dare to venture there even on your Gypsy? I remember last year when I used to travel through Aarey road during monsoons & few places were really bad, with little or no roads at all.

Thanks,
Old 7th August 2013, 16:21   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Desmosedici,

I believe you generally used to take Aarey road for home - office - home commute. But since last two days I am seeing your updates over traffic situation on WEH.

Has Aarey road gone so bad that you do not dare to venture there even on your Gypsy? I remember last year when I used to travel through Aarey road during monsoons & few places were really bad, with little or no roads at all.

Thanks,
Jignesh Bhai,

Aarey is really really bad. I dont drive daily, only sometimes and take a rick to work generally. Last week while going via Aarey, the rick went into such a big pothole that the driver lost control of the vehicle and i was thrown around within the rick, such is the condition of the road. Since that day i have stopped using Aarey Road, expecially when i take a rick. Plus ricks are known to breakdown in rains so if something like that happens i would be stuck inside Aarey. Even with a Gypsy the road is real bad, very slow moving and uncomfortable.
Old 7th August 2013, 16:30   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i was thrown around within the rick, such is the condition of the road. Since that day i have stopped using Aarey Road,
Hello Desmosedici,

That was really bad. Good to know that you were not hurt.

This should serve a warning message for all the people using Aarey Road. I personally know of a relative who suffered slipded-disc (Spinal disc herniation) due to deadly combination of Auto Rixa & huge pothole. BMC has some big plans for be-building Aarey road, let see if this is actually executed.

Infact yesterday evening I was thinking of taking Aarey road while going back home, but something in my sub-concious mind made me to travel through JVLR / WEH. Thank you for the information. I will now avoid Aarey road till it is repaired.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 16:40   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

Just wanted to highlight, how impatient Mumbai is becoming!
Similar thing with me today morning too

At the BPCL Pump neat The Amrohi studio, I was at the red light going towards WEH on JVLR. The traffic going to Powai gets the green lights first including the right turn but this Safari guy behind me starts honking like mad when he sees the auto and bikes around creep forward and almost clear the signal.

I stay put and this guy can't go around. When we get the green signal, this guy swerves to the left and overtakes me from the left side. A nice 50 year old gentleman in tie driving the Safari.

Oh and he was next to me at the WEH junction - so he didn't go far
normally_crazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 16:50   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Desmosedici,

BMC has some big plans for be-building Aarey road, let see if this is actually executed.

Thanks,
I dont think there are any plans for Aarey which would see light. It is one of the best money making roads and one of the worst maintained roads inside Bombay. Just imagine the revenue by way of the stupid toll, 5 bucks for bikes, 7 for ricks and 15 for cars.
Old 7th August 2013, 19:07   #726
BHPian

Hi all ,
Has anyone used Google maps during peak hours or any other time ? Is the real time traffic indicator helpful ? Is it worth changing route seeing heavy traffic indication on it ? Just curious how does it actually work ?
Old 7th August 2013, 19:31   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Hi all ,
Has anyone used Google maps during peak hours or any other time ? Is the real time traffic indicator helpful ? Is it worth changing route seeing heavy traffic indication on it ? Just curious how does it actually work ?
I would say its indicative. I generally check the maps before i leave home / office and i have noticed that even if the traffic is moving at medium pace the maps will show that as red (heavy traffic) since it captures the android users in that area and mostly everyone is on android nowadays.
Old 7th August 2013, 19:35   #728
BHPian

Quote:
it captures the android users in that area and mostly everyone is on android nowadays.
You sure?
I too was thinking since long that how this actually works. Never got time to google this specially.

If this is true then it might be gathering data from ones who only have the data pack activated.
Old 7th August 2013, 20:19   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
You sure?
I too was thinking since long that how this actually works. Never got time to google this specially.

If this is true then it might be gathering data from ones who only have the data pack activated.
Just googled this for you . Take a look whenever you are free.

http://www.theconnectivist.com/2013/...racks-traffic/
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 21:12   #730
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jignesh Bhai,

Aarey is really really bad. I dont drive daily, only sometimes and take a rick to work generally. Last week while going via Aarey, the rick went into such a big pothole that the driver lost control of the vehicle and i was thrown around within the rick, such is the condition of the road. Since that day i have stopped using Aarey Road, expecially when i take a rick. Plus ricks are known to breakdown in rains so if something like that happens i would be stuck inside Aarey. Even with a Gypsy the road is real bad, very slow moving and uncomfortable.
Desmo, this is precisely the reason why I don't take autos, I mean ever. May be once in a year at max. Can't trust my life with those auto-drivers (who we all curse throughout the year for bad and dangerous driving). Have 2 friends who have been thrown out of an auto (in 2 separate incidents) because the driver did not see a pothole or took a turn too fast. One of them broke his hand, the other got away with only a few bruises.

Take care buddy!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 22:33   #731
BHPian

The last couple of days have been rainfree, which means that the rudimentary pothole fixes are working. Instead of a loud thud, I now get a dull thump.

Also, I got my first ding (sort of) on my xuv today when a car decided to rear end me while at a red light at 7 am. That I was in neutral and let go of the brake when I saw this moron fast approaching in my mirror minimized the damage so apart from a scrape on the bumper, there was no evidence.

Luckily, I was at a signal where there were lots of angry mommies who sided with me about the guys breaking the signal. The chap who bumped into me was really sheepish after his initial tirade.

The things we do to be better citizens.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 01:35   #732
BHPian

Lot of pain last evening (at 5 pm) from Airport Road leading to Andheri-Kurla road and further upto Sakinaka. Crawled 1-1.5 kms in about 45 mins!!! I think its got to take the cake for one of the worst places in Mumbai to drive!
wanderlustindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 07:01   #733
BHPian

Had a close friend's sister in a weird accident two days back. The rickshaw she was riding overturned due to potholes near Kailash Complex. Result? Damage to spine and rib cage and ultimately a two months bed rest. There really need to be some outlet to make the responsible pay for this in an official manner. Else this will continue. Look at the level of the roads everywhere. Every new stretch is just heaped on the earlier surface to save preparation money for the contractor so every year, the potholes are getting bigger and deeper resulting in cases like this. A rick overturning on a pothole was unheard of 5 years back. Now there are so many cases like this that we hear regularly.
Old 8th August 2013, 07:35   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Had a close friend's sister in a weird accident two days back. The rickshaw she was riding overturned due to potholes near Kailash Complex.
File a complaint with the police, followed by a court case against the bmc commissioner, local ward officer and the contractor responsible and then Mumbai mirror know.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th August 2013 at 12:18. Reason: Please dont quote large text for a short reply..
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 07:59   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post

File a complaint with the police, followed by a court case against the bmc commissioner, local ward officer and the contractor responsible and then Mumbai mirror know.
The roads in Kailash (Powai) are private, belong to Hiranandani. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks