Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:43   #121

Midnight Scare 1

Hello Everyone!
Am Shaan, this is my first post on team bhp. I ve been an avid reader for a long time here and so now, I guess it’s time that I made some contributions of my own.
This is something that happened to me during my freshman year in college.
Back in those days I used to ride around in a Yamaha Crux 100. It isn’t a “rookie racer” kind of a ride because it’s a Yamaha, it was actually a lame commuter bike. Every time I twisted the throttle, the bike was like, “Are sure about this kid ? You really wanna do this ?” and starts its tiring attempt to overtake bicycles and donkey carts..
It was on one of those days that we (me and my college buddies) started this thing where we go for second shows at the movie theater during the weekends. Second shows start at 10 or 11 pm or so and goes on till 1 or 2 am. So, one night, I was returning back from one such movie…
I said to myself, yeah, let’s take this short cut back home rather than the main road, even though it’s the middle of the night and the road is empty (I was a bright kid). I decided to take this shortcut which led through a street which was known for a murder /mugging which happened not so long ago.
So, riding along this empty street, there was absolutely nobody in sight, not even stray dogs. When after a turn, I saw this tall dark guy with a moustache standing near the street light by the road, but I couldn’t see him that clearly, because the light was dim (both on my bike and the street light). As I got closer he pulled out his arm and started waving for a lift, he had a black bag on his other arm.

There was no way in hell that I would stop, I don’t even pick up strangers during the day! So I chose to ignore him and rode along.. A few meters on, there were a few potholes (Thanks PWD of Cochin ) followed by a huge speed bump. I immediately slowed down, but on the bump, my bike stalled, because I slowed down too much. Being a Yamaha I can start in any gear so I grabbed the clutch and gave the starter a kick…

Nothing happens, the bike didn’t start. I gave it another try, still nothing.. After 4 to 5 attempts a minor fear starts to set in, that man is walking towards me. He was just a few meters behind me, I have now started to panic a little bit and am kicking the starter round after round.. Still no response.. Its dead.
By now, the man is a lot more closer, and a million things are running through my mind, I can hear my heart beat and am starting to sweat. I thought of leaving the bike and running away, but then my dad will kill me, if I don’t leave, then this man will probably kill me. Any way there was an imminent fear of death. For a moment I was thinking about things I should have done, like, finish GTA Vice City, tell my girlfriend I never had that I love her . It all seemed to come to this and it’s gonna end like this..
By now, he’s with in arms reach. I prepare for a fight, i wasn’t gonna make this an easy job for him. With my heart beating like hell, I looked at him and then I noticed, brown leather shoes, khaki pants and a plain grey shirt. Oh my god, he’s an off duty cop !!
I have never been so glad to see a policeman. My heart is filled with relief and my pulse is getting back to normal.
“Need help ?” , he asks, I said, no, its just this stupid bike won’t start.
He starts to unplug the spark plug connector (that’s the thing with malayalee’s, they ll help you even if you say no) and blows into it, “might be some dust in there”, he says.
I try kicking it again. No luck. He then tries pushing me and my bike to a start.. and amazingly that worked, I don’t know why it started but it did. I was so happy, I offered the cop a ride and he got on and I even went further and dropped him close to him home, I thanked him for his help, as without him I would have been stuck there like a sitting duck for some real mugger.
On the way back home, I realized, people are not as they look. Like the cover of a book, never judge what’s inside from how it looks on the outside.

The End

Hope you guy’s liked my story, its named “Midnight Scare 1” because, yeah you guessed it, there’s a second part. So if you liked this, I ll write the second one too.

Till then buhbyee..

Last edited by Stratos : 22nd October 2013 at 23:33. Reason: Removing an extra smiley.
Shanavas is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 14:02   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road

An unusual experience yesterday evening. Me & my wife were going towards Deccan Gymkhana yesterday evening on the Activa. Some 100-150 ft in front of us an old grandpa was walking. He was not very old around 75-76 and looked from a good higher middle class family. Suddenly without any warning the grandpa swooned and fell down on the road. We stopped and helped him get up to his feet. No sooner had we picked him up, a bottle of liquor popped out of his pocket and rolled down the road. When we asked him if he was ok, he said he was just fine and not hurt at all; and his home was in the building on the corner. Funnily he was more concerned about the bottle than getting hurt or losing his senses. He said he had an attack of vertigo, but when we picked up he got up quick in a flash. By this time some 2-3 people had joined us and lent a helping hand to the person. Some 2-3 people from a nearby construction site helped him to his apartment. I don't know what to say, but more than vertigo we both thought later on that he must have already drunk a bit too much; he didn't have any problem getting up to his feet About the bottle with the grandpa, it's best to assume that his family maybe knew about his habits, and didn't mind it.
Old 28th October 2013, 17:37   #123
BHPian

^^^ Giving the benfit of doubt, I think it could be a case of vertigo, since a person who is too drunk would not get up quickly. Also at his age it might be difficult to change habit!!!
Old 29th October 2013, 04:14   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I'm shocked that such weirdos even exist! Throwing money even without arguing much about anything - first time I came across such a cash-rich nutcase on a bike. I guess he just wanted to avoid the trouble due to no license, non-KA vehicle and all that. Bizarreness to the core!
This post came to my attention because it was posted elsewhere; so, you're already a famous man. It's an old post now and tsk1979 has aptly summarized what I'd have wanted to say.

But here's something else; you have now made one rather harmless man a bitter driver. God forbid if someone touches his bike/car, he is going to be tempted to do exactly what you did to him. When he was himself ripped off, what's going to make him give the benefit of doubt to someone who wrongs him on the road. It's sad that an educated person like you resorted to such behavior.

And then we wonder why there's so much road rage and all the nonsense on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
One request: Please share his vehicle number, I will wait for him at Silkboard signal in case I need some cash
I pray there's sarcasm in this post.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 06:23   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This post came to my attention because it was posted elsewhere; so, you're already a famous man. It's an old post now and tsk1979 has aptly summarized what I'd have wanted to say.

But here's something else; you have now made one rather harmless man a bitter driver. God forbid if someone touches his bike/car, he is going to be tempted to do exactly what you did to him. When he was himself ripped off, what's going to make him give the benefit of doubt to someone who wrongs him on the road. It's sad that an educated person like you resorted to such behavior.

And then we wonder why there's so much road rage and all the nonsense on the road.
I think this discussion has been buried long long back. I'd pretty much said what I wanted to say and regretted doing whatever I did, in the following posts. No point in raking up the same old issues again and again. I consider it a case of road rage in hindsight, so I'd suggest the mods move my post to this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...onfession.html

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th October 2013 at 06:25.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 23:49   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
A kid playing inside the boot of i10,

Here a teen inside the boot of alto,
'hope its more comfy than inside the 'boot' of an SS80 (early Maruti 800), had an experience of being squashed into one that belonged to my uncle in the 80s, when I was 8-9 years old. 'had turned into a real spectacle that day!
Old 6th November 2013, 17:26   #127
BHPian

Mods, please move this post if found inappropriate.

We recently went on a weekend trip to Bhimeshwari in our Getz, and while returning , we went over some pretty bad roads and could smell petrol from the AC vents, we immediately switched off the AC and continued driving till we reached a safe spot(We didn't want to risk stopping immediately as the place was very eerie and isolated). Upon inspecting, we found no possible leak or crack or any petrol trail. We could smell it when the car was in motion earlier and not then.
Since Bhimeshwari is known for it's horror stories, we suspected foul play at helm or the work of miscreants wanting us to stop upon smelling petrol which they must have sprayed. Only after coming back, did we realize the place was full of goons.

but read this.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle3656706.ece
Old 24th December 2013, 15:21   #128
Senior - BHPian

A couple of weeks ago , me and the missus rolled to a stop on our two wheeler, as the signal had turned amber and was about to turn red. From behind came a guy on a scooter, clearly too fast , and with no intention of stopping for the red light. Standing on his footboard was a little kid, no more than 4-5 years old. Seeing that the man was not going to stop.... the kid started frantically yelling , "Baba red...Baba red..! ". Clearly affected by his kid's sudden admonishing outburst, the guy screeched to a stop. All the people (there were not many) present there had heard and seen what happened, and the guy gave us a sheepish smile. Sometimes it takes kids, with their innocent sense of right and wrong, to drill sense into adults. Certainly heartwarming , it was..
sajo is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 00:54   #129
BHPian

One thing that irritates me the most while on road is when you are waiting at a signal and as soon as the light turns green, the vehicles behind you start honking. What are we supposed to do in such situations? Levitate the vehicle so they can pass from under?

I'm not joking, but people have gotten used to this behavior so much that on couple of instances I've seen even the guys waiting at the "pole positions" honking before taking off.
jayded is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 16:48   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
One thing that irritates me the most while on road is when you are waiting at a signal and as soon as the light turns green, the vehicles behind you start honking. What are we supposed to do in such situations? Levitate the vehicle so they can pass from under?

I'm not joking, but people have gotten used to this behavior so much that on couple of instances I've seen even the guys waiting at the "pole positions" honking before taking off.
Going by the current trend on our roads, one can only reason as follows :
The vehicles behind us honk assuming we're taking a power nap and honking will wake us up !
The guys waiting at "pole positions" honk to warn pedestrians if any, that they're about to take-off !
However comical, it is surely irritating, no doubt.
Old 27th December 2013, 13:34   #131
Senior - BHPian

A strange experience while returning home yesterday evening. At the Nal stop signal on Karve road, we had stopped for a red light. A grey i10 with 5 people packed in; chatting merrilly oblivious to the world; came to halt next to us. We got a strong whiff of kerosene immediately. We looked right and saw there were thick fumes coming out of the grill, bonnet shut lines and the wheel well. We knocked on their window and told them about the smoke coming out! They casually said it's ok, they know about it. By this time the lights had changed to green and the i10 went away, smoking like that.

We were wondering what could have been the thing under the bonnet. Could be kerosene mixed in petrol? (are the new cars tolerant of impurities in fuel?) or could it be something else?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 13:58   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
We were wondering what could have been the thing under the bonnet.
In i10? I used to think only Fiat Uno used to have it - FIRE under it's hood!

FIRE: Fully Integrated Robotised Engine
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 14:34   #133
Senior - BHPian

Earlier this week. JM road Pune, Garware 'flyover'.
For those who dont know of this architectural marvel, it is a bump on the road to accomodate a pedestrian subway at one of the more crowded and worst planned (not sure if that word should be used with roads in Pune) road sections in the city.

We were waiting at the beginning/ base of the 'flyover' in piled up traffic due to the signal ahead. In my rear view mirror, I saw a bike squeezing its way through cars to come up and wait on the slope in front of my car. the rider tried to keep the engine running by gunning the throttle. I pointed out to my co passenger to pay attention if he wanted to see something funny.

3 seconds after I pointed him out, the biker did a wheelie and landed in the lap of the pillion rider who in turn had his rear ended on the road. The bike went flying away to the right like a deflated balloon.

I had half a thought to help out, but enough bystanders were already laughing at them and I did not want traffic to pile up by stopping my car at that junction. The signal turned green and while the guys dusted their trousers, we moved away.

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th December 2013 at 14:35.
selfdrive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 22:42   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
In i10? I used to think only Fiat Uno used to have it - FIRE under it's hood!

FIRE: Fully Integrated Robotised Engine
Lol!! But for a few minutes we both thought that this was going to be one of those incidences which we normally read about in the news - the car standing next to you catches fire and the people escape from it by the skin of their teeth!
Old 31st December 2013, 14:35   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this news of a 4 seater plane landing on NH in MP. I guess most of us would have read these kind of incidents outside India.
Funny part is the owner of plane it seems is refusing to move plane from highway as mark of protest against NHAI constructing some pillars near his runway.
NDTV News

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks