Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2019, 13:13   #3166
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Bangalore - Pune - Bangalore:

This is the one in which I couldn't see any dedicated Fastag lane.
Attachment 1837789
Thanks for the update on status of fastag on NH4 Bangalore--Pune/Mumbai. That image is of the Khed Shivapur toll at Pune where in all lanes accept fastag.

By the way, in Maharashtra particularly do they allow only fastag equipped vehicles to pass through the dedicated lane or anyone can pass through ? Also, did they happen to use those handheld scanners or its mounted on the top ?

I am a regular on Mumbai--Pune--Belgaum route but I haven't got fastag for my car yet, I pay by cash and never enter the fastag lane, hence these queries.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 14:04   #3167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
By the way, in Maharashtra particularly do they allow only fastag equipped vehicles to pass through the dedicated lane or anyone can pass through ?
If booths have dedicated lane only, cars with FT can enter that lane. If all lanes are hybrid, you can enter any lane.

Few cases you can enter non FT lane and they get the hand held scanner but these days they insist you get into the dedicated lane.
Quote:
Also, did they happen to use those handheld scanners or its mounted on the top ?
The Anewadi Plaza had used handheld scanner once only because I took the next lane. Most of the times, all booths have hand held devices they use when the automated scanner is at fault or at times to help clear FT vehicles in other lanes.

FYI, the NBTL Plaza at Nelamangala has a dedicated lane but uses handheld scanner and the head of this booth had issued statement for a newspaper that "all lanes at this plaza are hybrid" .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 14:25   #3168

Used Paytm fastag for the first time in December for a trip to Amritsar after procuring it almost 8 months before. My overall impression..it should be renamed slowtag because it made no difference to the speed of crossing the plaza even when there were manned dedicated lanes. The hit and miss readings, the slow responses from the server actually made cash payments seem much faster. As if that were not enough, when the top mounted scanner could not read the windscreen sticker, one had to contend with a badly trained hand held scanner guy rushing from one side to the other and then lolling all over the bonnet in order to scan the tag. I also got charged twice at a couple of places and see very little hope of getting my money back from Paytm given the pathetic state of consumer redressal.
Fastag worked comparatively better on Punjab highways, but Haryana highways are anyway a national disgrace, being in a state of permanent construction for as long as one can remember. My dashcam video of a 30 minute period, speeded up 12 times, shows the jams leading up to a toll plaza and then the jam after the toll plaza as the 8 odd lanes again converged to 1 lane.
Old 21st January 2019, 10:29   #3169

So yesterday, I go out of Bangalore towards Vellore and was back in the afternoon same day. Used Fastag all throughout.

During both up and down, never faced any problem, except at Attibele toll on my way back.

At the Attibele Toll, apparently all lanes are Fastag enabled, while they also have a dedicated Fastag lane, which was too crowded yesterday. So picked one of the Hybrid lanes. Problem was, the scanning device in that lane was not working and they did not have manual scanning machine. I was forced to pay by cash and so I ended up paying double for a same day trip.

And the toll booth attendant was also very rude, even though I did not argue at all and paid cash straight away. He asked me if I could not see the dedicated Fastag lane and take it and that from next time, I should pay special attention to this. What nonsense!

This is what happens when there is half-hearted implementation.

1. Why can't the Fastag lane be fixed - say the first lane, at all toll booths. The lane keeps jumping at every toll, sometimes it is 2, and sometimes 4. and the lane numbering sequence either starts from the divider or from the other end. You are left to do your own guess work. It is especially very difficult at places like Krishnagiri toll - you can never reach the correct lane here, no matter how careful you are.
2. If the toll operator is not convinced with Fastag usage, replace him. Or run this toll booth using a third party who is OK with Fastag implementation.
3. The govt., if it is really looking at making this a convenience, then it should work towards making it one, instead of such shoddy implementation. First, you make it mandatory to buy Fastag along with your car and second, none of the toll operators seem happy with it. There was once, a few months back, when a toll operator closed the fastag lane saying the scanner got damaged due to lightning - Really??
Archie81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 10:52   #3170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie81 View Post
I was forced to pay by cash and so I ended up paying double for a same day trip.
One of practice that I follow for 24 hr return trip is never pay by fastag. You never know if you will be able to use fastag on return trip. Dedicated fastag lane may be clogged or fastag may not be working. Fastag is there for convenience.
Old 21st January 2019, 16:52   #3171
BHPian

I got the ICICI Bank FasTag recently. Online purchase, took 5 minutes to order, and it was delivered in 5 days. For some reason they forgot to send the account number in the envelop that is needed for registration on the website. I looked at the SMS messages they had sent since delivery and found the account number and could register successfully.

Used the FasTag from Pune to Karad and back this weekend and it worked like a charm. Only issue was there is no dedicated lane for FasTag at Khed-Shivapur (all lanes are enabled with it) and at Anewadi-Satara non-FasTag vehicles were entering the dedicated lane.

Looking forward to the day when a majority people have these tags and we are allowed to drive through these lanes without having to stop!!
shajoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:51   #3172
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys i forgot the password of my ICICI fastag login and the account got locked out after some attempts. I tried the toll free number and its coming as busy always. Any other faster alternative to get my password reset?
Old 21st January 2019, 19:41   #3173
BHPian

Just a quick question. For PayTM fasttags the toll amount gets deducted automatically from the wallet right ? Is there a requirement to keep a minimum balance ?
Old 21st January 2019, 19:47   #3174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Correct. I have been using Paytm Fastag for 1.5 years now and as long as you have balance in your Paytm wallet, you are good. Paytm keeps Rs. 150 in the Fastag wallet and toll is paid from this, but immediately recovered from the Paytm wallet.
The above post by airbus should help you with your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Just a quick question. For PayTM fasttags the toll amount gets deducted automatically from the wallet right ? Is there a requirement to keep a minimum balance ?
Old 21st January 2019, 19:49   #3175
BHPian

Thank you. Sorry I seemed to have missed this in my search
Old 21st January 2019, 20:00   #3176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Guys i forgot the password of my ICICI fastag login and the account got locked out after some attempts. I tried the toll free number and its coming as busy always. Any other faster alternative to get my password reset?

I think customer care is the only option to unlock the account. I faced this issue once and I couldn't find any other way to unlock.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 11:46   #3177
BHPian

First long drive (Bangalore - Chennai) with fasttag completed. Made sure I took the lanes dedicated to fasttag even at toll booths where most of the gates were enabled with Tag scanners.

The cashless experience was simply wonderful to say the least. PayTM makes it even more easy as deductions are from the wallet!
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:01   #3178
Distinguished - BHPian

Impressed by the ETC tag system at the Bandra Worli Sea Link - much much faster than current day FASTag.

I remember even FASTag was this quick many moons back.
Old 24th January 2019, 15:46   #3179
BHPian

I use the BETL flyover daily for my commute from Electronics City to Marathahalli in Bangalore.
A Couple of days ago the below transactions happened on my Paytm Fastag account when I got back late and crossed the toll just after midnight while returning back. Normally for a return trip a charge of Rs 70 (45+25) is deducted daily.

Silkboard to Electronics City - Rs 45 (return), after midnight
Next morning
Electronics City to Silkboard - Rs 25 (onwards)
Silkboard to Electronics City - Rs 0 (return) no deduction. The fastag was scanned by the machine as this transaction is showing in my statement.

Now my doubt is whether this is a faulty transaction or this is the way the toll collection is designed.

Last edited by jayantvs : 24th January 2019 at 15:47.
Old 24th January 2019, 16:16   #3180
Senior - BHPian

That is the way it is designed to work for BETL
12 midnight is the cut off

On NHAI tolls, it is 24 hours
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks