Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 22:15   #3211
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Now the second tag has the exact same problem. It just won't get scanned automatically. It doesn't get scanned manually as well.

The chances of getting two faulty tags seems remote. So now I am wondering if my windscreen has some coating on it which does not let the tag get scanned.

Anyone else facing the same issue?
I am facing exactly the same issue with PayTM Fastag. I have Llumar heat rejection film on the windshield and perhaps that's blocking the radio waves.

--------
Are all tags (from different channels) the same? Will changing to ICICI help or I need to explore some other fix?
Old 7th February 2019, 10:25   #3212
Distinguished - BHPian

Inconsistency at KIAL Toll booth continues....

This was the case today morning. The automated scanner on dedicated lane failed to recognize my tag. The handheld scanner too could not recognize despite of many tries (at least 10-12 attempts). I was made to reverse for a second attempt if the automated scanner would pick it up; it didn't!

You can notice in the video how many times the guard tries to manually scan the FASTag and finally things worked only after he scanned it from the inside!!

I don't think this has to do with faulty tags because I have passed the same toll booth more than 10 times in last few months and things have never been consistent when it comes to reading the tag. Return journey always has been trouble-free with automated scanner reading my tag and let me pass.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th February 2019 at 10:29.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 12:49   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I am facing exactly the same issue with PayTM Fastag. I have Llumar heat rejection film on the windshield and perhaps that's blocking the radio waves.

--------
Are all tags (from different channels) the same? Will changing to ICICI help or I need to explore some other fix?
All tags communicate with the toll sensors the same way, so changing the tag buying source is not going to fix your problem.
The film on your windscreen will effect the communication between the tag and the toll sensors.

I think the best approach would be to follow what other members have suggested namely, sticking the tag outside the windscreen. Or just don't fix it and carry it around in the car and see if that works by waving the tag outside the car at the tolls.
Old 7th February 2019, 16:10   #3214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
[i]
I don't think this has to do with faulty tags because I have passed the same toll booth more than 10 times in last few months and things have never been consistent when it comes to reading the tag. Return journey always has been trouble-free with automated scanner reading my tag and let me pass.
I am facing the issue the day they relocated all the tag readers from top to side. I always need to go back and forth, 90% of the time the tag doesn't get read. I request for the hand scanner and scan it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I am late to the party but better late than never. Procured Fastag for my car from Equitas on BHPian @paragsachania's recommendation, thanks to him. The process was entirely online and was a smooth affair. I even installed Equitas fastag app in my phone for future recharges. Used it during my recent drive from Krishnagiri to Bangalore--Pune--Mumbai. It worked seamlessly at each and every toll on this route. In Maharashtra, there is not much time difference whether you use tag or pay by cash, as the toll guys are pretty quick dealing with manual cash payment as well. However it's the handsfree experience that makes using Fastag a convenient one.

Unfortunately Fastag does not work at Airoli toll in Mumbai. You need their own MEP tag for the same.
I also have an equitas fastag, but am facing with some issues. Where have you stuck the tag on the windshield?

PS- Moderators, missed clubbing both the posts, apologies.

Last edited by navin : 7th February 2019 at 17:04.
Old 7th February 2019, 16:15   #3215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I request for the hand scanner and scan it myself.
Reminds me to mention that on Sunday when I was returning from Mangalore, usually as it happens, at Shantigrama L&T Toll booth, the automated scanner just failed to read my tag for nearly 2 minutes. At this booth, its the case where tag is read 5 out of 10 times at first attempt.

Arguments started and I was sure not to give up as I had passed the same booth from the other side a day before. Plus the fact that my car's tag has passed multiple toll booths in many states without issues.

So I asked him to get a hand-held scanner to which he replied that they don't use hand-held scanners there.

I was wondering how was that possible because a handheld scanner is supposed to be present to ensure service continuity. I don't know if there is a mandate regarding this but this was the first time ever I heard such a thing. Only in September near Hyderabad on the way to Nagpur, the attendant told that there was no charge in the hand-held device (This booth uses only hand-held scanners), I let it go because he was apologetic too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th February 2019 at 16:21.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 16:23   #3216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reminds me to mention that on Sunday when I was returning from Mangalore, usually as it happens, at Shantigrama L&T Toll booth, the automated scanner just failed to read my tag for nearly 2 minutes. At this booth, its the case where tag is read 5 out of 1 times at first attempt.
One point which I missed, at Khed Shivapur toll, the overhead scanner was unable to detect the tag, the toll operator simply said to clean the windshield using washer and wiper and voila the scanner was able to detect the tag.
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 23:06   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post

I also have an equitas fastag, but am facing with some issues. Where have you stuck the tag on the windshield?
I have stuck it at the top exactly in the centre of the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-screenshot_20190207230236.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 09:58   #3218
BHPian

I have also fixed the Fastag on top exactly behind irvm. Worked without any problems from Bangalore to Panvel. However, Fastag facility isn't available at Hubli - Dharwad toll plaza.
satshen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 10:55   #3219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satshen View Post
However, Fastag facility isn't available at Hubli - Dharwad toll plaza.
The bypass is not part of NHDP and is still considered as 'Private'.

One reason why it is still a single carriageway and no wonder all that is applicable to NHAI roads doesn't apply here including FASTag.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 16:35   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I have stuck it at the top exactly in the centre of the windshield.
I too have it sticked in the middle of Windshield and the problem seem to be most common in all the tolls. I am suspecting its the issue with other RFID provided for the cars by manufacturers and scanner getting confused which one to scan. As of now I have covered the car's RFID with a black tape from outside of the windshield and the fasttag works like a charm.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 17:54   #3221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The bypass is not part of NHDP and is still considered as 'Private'.

One reason why it is still a single carriageway and no wonder all that is applicable to NHAI roads doesn't apply here including FASTag.
The very same aspect applies to the Coimbatore bypass road. Private, no Fastag and the commute can be really painful.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 20:04   #3222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
I As of now I have covered the car's RFID with a black tape from outside of the windshield and the fasttag works like a charm.
Black electrical tape, should have zero effect, unless you have aluminium foil in between. Is that the case? Or did you use any special kind of tape, like the heat wrap tapes?

Unless I am very much mistaken.
Old 11th February 2019, 21:53   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Black electrical tape, should have zero effect, unless you have aluminium foil in between. Is that the case? Or did you use any special kind of tape, like the heat wrap tapes?

Unless I am very much mistaken.
Its the normal electrical tape which I have just pasted 4 or 5 layers from outside the windshield for the RFID.

This was told to me on one of the tolls near Chitradurga and while scanning he covered it with his hand and scanned which worked out like charm...
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 09:33   #3224
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
My first experience with a double/duplicate toll transaction happened today (first in 4 years of using the ICICI Fastag) at the Devanahalli toll (when returning from KIAL).
Update:
After raising the dispute on 28 Jan, on 31 Jan Rs.85 was showing up in the Tag Summary page under the head "Charge back Amount" and a trip activity entry by CHARGEBACKPROCESS and description with details of the disputed transaction ("Chargeback requested for Tag....").

2 weeks later on 11 Feb, Rs.85 was added to the Tag's Current Balance and there was another trip activity entry with the description "Transfer from chargeback for Tag..."

So, my first double debit transaction and dispute for the same has been resolved

Last edited by NPV : 12th February 2019 at 09:36.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:50   #3225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Update:
After raising the dispute on 28 Jan, on 31 Jan Rs.85 was showing up in the Tag Summary page under the head "Charge back Amount" and a trip activity entry by CHARGEBACKPROCESS and description with details of the disputed transaction ("Chargeback requested for Tag....").

2 weeks later on 11 Feb, Rs.85 was added to the Tag's Current Balance and there was another trip activity entry with the description "Transfer from chargeback for Tag..."

So, my first double debit transaction and dispute for the same has been resolved
Had my first experience too of a double transaction that too as the same toll booth as you. Had been to the airport to drop my in-laws this Monday.

Onward was smooth. On the return, I went into the fast tag lane, it did not read my tag, the attendant asked me to take the normal lane, went into the normal lane and told the toll booth operator that I’ve FasTag. He punched it in and let me go.

I come home check Paytm and have been billed twice for the same toll (₹85 and ₹45) albeit I don’t understand the charges. Could someone kindly explain.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-971a8886315741329c0543c8ef4eb82f.jpeg

Last edited by drhoneycake : 13th February 2019 at 08:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks