Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2016, 19:52   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Anyone experienced Paytm Fastag? Is it different from the way Fasttag works?

Additional details in the link https://blog.paytm.com/introducing-p...379#.dqcgedu2r
Related Video:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/184736...99&ref=m_notif
Old 5th December 2016, 21:14   #347
BHPian

The PayTM fasttag seems more easy to procure and operate ...
Old 5th December 2016, 23:22   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Procure possibly but operation will still be dependent on the reader reading it correctly which can be a real irritant sometimes.

Paytm must be desperate now that Mobikwik have barged in with their QR code technology.
Old 6th December 2016, 18:13   #349
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks who traveled yesterday and today - are the FasTag lanes on the Bangalore-Coimbatore route operational as before ? In the aftermath of the change shortage I wanted to know if these lanes now allow all traffic (including non-FasTag vehicles) in the dedicated FasTag lanes ?
Old 6th December 2016, 19:40   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
How does one procure it? I cannot seem to find it either on the paytm site or on the fastag site.
Old 6th December 2016, 20:42   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
How does one procure it? I cannot seem to find it either on the paytm site or on the fastag site.
Dass, I have posted a link to the video above on how PayTM works at the booth.

Have a look, again:

PayTM at Toll booth

All you will need is a phone with Data and PayTM installed and the toll booth accepting PayTM. The toll booth guy just takes out the QR code while you open the App and scan it to make the payment.

However, there is also something called PayTM FastTag as described below:

Quote:
Driving through the highway in the middle of the night and remembering you don’t have enough cash on you? Now you can use your Paytm account to pay for the toll charges at various highways in the country. The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has confirmed that it has awarded Paytm a deal for automatic toll collection. After its digital wallet and e-commerce business and the recent success owing to the demonetization of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes by the government, Paytm is now mulling spreading its wings further in the public-private partnership market in India.

Under the tie-up with the NHAI, commuters can now use Paytm FASTags to zip past toll plazas while the service automatically deducts charges from their digital wallets. Raghav Chandra, chairman for the NHAI, told Economic Times that Paytm has won contracts for automatic toll collections at highways in various states. The service has been awarded the deal for 40 out of 350 highways as part of the government’s plans to allow digital wallet companies manage its electronic toll service. The e-tolling service is aimed at reducing congestion and helping commuters save on time.

The NHAI launched its e-tolling service in April at over 300 toll plazas across the country, including NH 8, NH 24, and NH 44. The service allows vehicles with FASTag cards to pass toll plazas without having to stop. FASTag is a rechargeable tag that is fixed on the windscreen of vehicles and allows automatic deduction of toll charges with the help of radio-frequency identification technology (RFID). The tag is then linked to a prepaid account from which the amount is deducted every time the vehicle passes through the plaza. With a one-time fee of Rs 200, the FASTag requires a minimum recharge amount of Rs 100 and allows recharge up to Rs 1 lakh for commercial vehicles.

NHAI is also offering 10 percent discounts on payment through digital modes. Various branches of SBI, ICICI Bank, and Axis Bank are selling the FASTags for use on e-tolls. The banks issuing the tags will in turn receive 1.5 percent of the electronic toll revenue every time a vehicle pays using the tag. Paytm in its blog, dated September 21, 2016, explains that the Paytm FASTag is valid at more than 350 toll plazas, allowing cashless instant payments for a hassle-free transit. However, with NHAI’s confirmation, it appears the service is active only on some of the plazas.
Source

And here is more information on PayTM FasTag

Quote:
India’s highways are going cashless with Paytm. We have partnered with the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) to allow you to zip through highway tolls across the country.

It all starts with the Paytm FASTag. This small sticker on your car’s windshield is valid at more than 350 toll plazas. It’s a clever bit of RFID technology that allows instant cashless payments from your Paytm Wallet.

Here’s a little bit of how it’s going to go.
But I see no mention of this on where these are sold.

Additionally, the PayTM FasTag is exclusive to these limited toll booths only, then I see no real purpose to having this and will any day prefer NHAI's Fastag unless PayTM Fastag is also linked to this so that we can use this at all the FasTag enabled booths, whether PayTM or not.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th December 2016 at 20:58.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 20:56   #352
BHPian

I guess the current PayTM solution is a stop gap arrangement to increase their customer base using the current demonitization fiasco. But they also got approval for providing fastag as like ICICI. Like axisbank, paytm also yet to start fastag process.
smnrock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 13:05   #353
BHPian

I sent FasTag application to ICICI, Mumbai last week. It's been three weeks now. Tired of following up. I think I'll just pay cash; less of a hassle.
Old 7th December 2016, 14:56   #354
BHPian

I had submitted my application at ICICI Bommanahalli branch on Dec 3, 2016. While submitting the application, I was told that my tag will be ready when I receive the activation SMS. Yesterday, I received an SMS stating that my Fastag account is activated. I logged in to ICICI and registered online. I have got myself an ID to track the account.

Since 9.30 am to almost until 10.00 am I attempted to contact the branch and no one picked up the phone. I wanted to make sure that the tag is ready to pickup, if not my long detour on the way to work will be point less.

I decided to drop by braving the harrowing traffic on Hosur road. I reached there after an hour of driving ( for 12 kms) only to be told that the server was down in the last few days and they have not been able to match a tag to my account. Apparently, about 400 applications are pending.

I did make a little fuss about the fact that they were not receiving the phone calls and I had to drop in physically to be told about the status. I was given the mobile phone of one guy and he said, he will call me when it is ready and will also help in dropping the tag at my residence.

Keeping fingers crossed..
Old 7th December 2016, 15:34   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Dass, I have posted a link to the video above on how PayTM works at the booth.

Have a look, again:
I did take a look at this one Parag Bhai,

Quote:
But I see no mention of this on where these are sold.
My question was more on this. How to procure/buy these. There is nothing on their website about this.

I strongly feel that FAStag should be made freely available to all. This is one way of increasing its usage. Charging Rs.200 for just the tag will deter a lot of people from buying this one, as the current benefits are way to low.
dass is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 18:17   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Additionally, the PayTM FasTag is exclusive to these limited toll booths only, then I see no real purpose to having this and will any day prefer NHAI's Fastag unless PayTM Fastag is also linked to this so that we can use this at all the FasTag enabled booths, whether PayTM or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
My question was more on this. How to procure/buy these. There is nothing on their website about this.
I guess the lack of clarity and information is due to the fact that it is not launched / not commercially launched as of now.

There was a news couple of months back that apart from ICICI another 4 or so payment companies will be joining Fastag initiative. I guess the Paytm news is part of that.

Also, there was a shutdown of Fastag services for system upgrade last week, this was done to integrate the system to NPCI. Since the upgrade was during toll waiver period there was no issues for Fastag users though. I guess this migration was to enable multiple tag issuers to use the system.

Link
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 23:46   #357
BHPian

Quote:
PayTM at Toll booth

All you will need is a phone with Data and PayTM installed and the toll booth accepting PayTM. The toll booth guy just takes out the QR code while you open the App and scan it to make the payment.
Has anyone seen or used the PayTM at Toll booths between Bangalore and Mangalore?

For non-regular travellers, I think PayTM option is better than FASTag for 2 reasons:
1. Joining fees of Rs 200
2. hassles in procurement of the FASTag from ICICI Bank

Probably when new entrants join in for the issue of FASTag, hopefully ICICI would roll up their sleeves (if they are keen on this business).
Old 8th December 2016, 08:31   #358
BHPian

Fast tags are fully operational throughout all the tolls between Hyderabad and Bangalore as reported by Gajadonga on another thread.

NHAI introduces prepaid coupons valid till this year end
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-1481166068256.jpg  

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 8th December 2016 at 08:51.
hyd_traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 13:05   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

My visit to BETL Office today for FASTag
  • There are 2 Helpdesks - One for ICICI FASTag and other for BETL RFID
  • As you all know, ICICI FASTag works for all NHAI Toll plazas along with BETL
  • BETL RFID works only on BETL toll plazas, Bangalore

ICICI FASTag:
  • One needs to fill the application form and pay by CASH only
  • Documents required are : Photo, Address Proof, ID Proof, RC Copy, Completely filled form
  • Minimum amount: 500 - One time installation fees (Misc) + Tag + 100 INR Balance
  • Turnaround time for get FASTag - Instant

The Bad news: Their server is still not working and he was sitting on at least 20 applications on his desk!

BETL RFID:
  • Cash and Card - Both are accepted (No cheques)
  • Documents: Application form, RC Copy (No need of address proof also)
  • Turnaround time to get RFID - Instant
  • Fees: 150 INR for the RFID and 1000/- Balance - Total 1150/-

The better news: Their system is working flawlessly and I paid by card and got the Tag pasted on the windscreen

Even though in 2 minds, I decided to get the BETL tag mainly because I didn't want to pay by card every morning and as we all know, there is a serious "cash" crunch

Verdict:

The ICICI FASTag servers are still down even today, its almost a week now. So those thinking to visit this office hoping to get FASTag, please visit only after calling them on the number Fusionbang has mentioned earlier (Imdad - 70320 67833).

Additionally, you can also reach out to his manager on 98867 45679.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 14:59   #360
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE FROM PUNE :
-----------------------------

I visited Bhandarkar Road ICICI Bank outlet.
There are 3 ICICI bank outlets on this road.
The one where FASTAG is processed in the farthest from CENTURY TVS.
This one is opposite Bank of Baroda and 5 buildings from Signature ICICI outlet ( when you come from Century TVS side ).

Need to meet Mr.Sautik on 1st floor.

These guys accept payments only in cheque
He was not ready to accept payment in cash/card etc.

Breakup of 500rs is as below
Actual FASTAG Card = Rs 200
Refundable deposit = Rs 200
Minimum topup = Rs 100.

I will update team once I go back there and start the process.
Turn around time is 7-8 working days as was told to me.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed