Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 05:49   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post

Further, if I fix it temporarily with sellotape without removing the paper that is covering glue part, will it work?

Please advice.
Yes, this will work and you can test it this way. Currently I have fixed it using sellotape for testing purpose.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 10:04   #257
BHPian

Quote:

I have Hardware film on my windscreen. It is almost transparent with 85%+ visibility. When the icici person came to fix the tag, he was not sure whether it will work through film. (I trust, being RFID it should not be an issue)
Anybody has fixed it on film? Does it pose any issue?
Please advice.
I have 3M CR 70 sun-film on my Innova's windshield and pasted the tag just behind the mirror. It's working through the film and not giving me any issues.

Thanks

Last edited by kavu75 : 1st November 2016 at 10:05.
kavu75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 12:38   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody has fixed it on film? Does it pose any issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
I have 3M CR 70 sun-film on my Innova's windshield and pasted the tag just behind the mirror
+1 works fine with the film. No need to cut or do anything else.
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 12:56   #259
BHPian

I have also pasted on CR70 film behind IVRM. It works fine. No issues
AutoInt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 20:08   #260
BHPian

Kochi-Bangalore update:

All the toll booths -Thrissur, Walayar, Kaniyur, Vijayamangalam, Thoppur, Krishnagiri, Attibelle - worked flawlessly today.

I skipped Vaikuntam and Omalur, as i took a diversion. The traffic was peaking, still the lanes were kept dedicated. Would have easily saved at least 1 hour today.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 21:13   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Madurai - Trichy:

There are two tolls, both have Fastag lanes but yet to be implemented

Trichy - Tanjore:

There is one toll and it works superbly.

Trichy - Chennai:

First four tolls have Fastag and they worked flawlessly. The last two tolls doesn't even have the Fastag lane.
Old 1st November 2016, 21:56   #262
BHPian

I did Bangalore - Trivandrum - Bangalore twice this month and below are my Fastag updates on Bangalore - Trivandrum route via Salem--Madurai--Tirunelveli

First trip up was on 8th October and Fastag worked at 4 toll booths between bangalore and Salem only, including debit+cash at Thoppur L&T toll. For the rest of the journey I had to pay cash and If I remember correctly, I got a free pass at one toll after Dindigul. Return trip was on 16th October and fastag worked at 7 toll booths, including debit+cash at Thoppur L&T toll.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-second-trip.jpg

Second trip up was on 29th October and Fastag worked on 3 toll booths between Bangalore and Salem, including debit + cash at Thoppur L&T toll. None of the other fastag lanes worked after Salem till Kavalkinar and at some booths it even showed mine as blacklisted tag . Return trip was on 1st November and fastag worked at 6 toll booths, including debit+cash at Thoppur L&T toll.

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-first-trip.jpg

Overall I felt that fastag helps you exit quickly at the most crowded toll booths in Bangalore-Salem route but you cannot fully bank on it to have cash free drive across tolls. After Dindigul it may work on some tolls if you are lucky but for most part the lanes are dysfunctional. I usually make it a point to raise it as an issue and engage the staff in my interaction. They give different reasons saying rain damaged the equipment, renovation, lack of service support etc. Another point worth noting is that there is something seriously wrong with L&T Thoppur toll, where the boom barrier would not open despite many tries. I was asked to pay manually as the boom barrier did not open. After checking the account statement, I could see that my account was also debited INR 86 for the same. I did a quick check and found that this was the case in both my trips. I have raised a dispute transaction for the duplicate payment. A very good plan with lousy implementation, as usual.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st November 2016 at 22:38. Reason: Inserting images as attachments not [IMG] tags as it breaks the page boundaries. Thanks!
shinuak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:23   #263
BHPian

Did the return trip from Cochin to Bangalore yesterday. So except at LnT Coimbatore by-pass, it was fastag all along. I am yet to see the full deduction for the journey yet. The following observations:
- Thrissur toll: Non Tag vehicles in the smartcarg / tag lane. They were taking cash from such vehicles. Delayed here.
- Krishnagiri and Thoppur : There were major delays here. Infact, the vehicles in the other lanes entered and exited the toll gate before the fasttag ones. I have seen them collecting toll manually at these gates which led to delay.

At other tolls, the experience was good. Free movement at the tolls. Just have to wake up the person manning the entry to remove the barricades to enter the lane.

When do i get the cash back from the trips I made? I am yet to see any credit in my account with this regard.
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:28   #264
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Chennai-Tirupati-Bangalore in the long weekend.

FASTag is not working/not implemented in any of the tolls although boards are mentioned.

Chennai-Tirupati via Tiruvallur-Thiruttani-Puttur there are 2 tolls and nothing worked. The toll guy said it will take several years to get this working

Tirupati-Bangalore is usual route via Palamaner-Mulbagal-Kolar and even both the tolls FASTag is not implemented.

-Ravi
Old 2nd November 2016, 12:35   #265
BHPian

I did my first blore-cbe-blore trip after I purchased the fastag. The fast tag was very useful for the blore-cbe trip. Was able to get through attibele, krishnagiri and thoppur tolls very quickly. I was able to use it in chengapalli toll booth but they were allowing all other vehicles in the fastag lane. The crowd in the toll booths was moderate and I was able to access the fast tag lane quite easily.
Returning back was a completely different story. Worked fine in arasur toll booth. Did not work in chengapalli as the lane was blocked and there was no one to open it. Worked in thoppur but accessing the fastag lane was a pain as the back up was for more than a km. Once I was able to access , was able to breeze through. Probably saved 20 minutes there
Krishnagiri was useless as they were allowing all vehicles into the fastag lane. I plan to complain about it. Not sure to whom though. One of the main points of purchasing fastag is to save time. If they are going to allow everyone into fastag lanes, then the whole purpose is defeated.

Overall, I am not sure if it is worth it especially during the busy travel times.
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:21   #266
BHPian

sent an SMS to ICICI number on 22nd Oct and got back a reply saing "Thank you for your Interest ....."

No update after that.

This if for Pune City registered car.
Old 2nd November 2016, 22:50   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
I plan to complain about it. Not sure to whom though. One of the main points of purchasing fastag is to save time. If they are going to allow everyone into fastag lanes, then the whole purpose is defeated.

Overall, I am not sure if it is worth it especially during the busy travel times.
I put in a complaint on the fastag portal against the toll entry. There is an option that comes up when you select the toll detail. Not sure if there will be any use.
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:37   #268
BHPian

Completed a roadtrip from Bangalore to Rajasthan. Picked up fastag before I left, and had mixed experiences:

1. Tag worked better when I afixed it on the windscreen. Since I do not like stickers etc, I covered my tag in cling wrap and then used a cello tape to attach it to the windscreen.

2. On many stretches, there was total confusion. A board would be put up saying Fastag keep left, and the tag lane would be at extreme right

3. Non tag vehicles were allowed in many stretches. On complaining about it at a toll booth in Rajasthan, the manager replied that many trucks also have fastag. However I countered by saying that I had seen the truck driver paying cash, to which, the manager kept quite.

4. In a few booths, the tag lane was barricaded and the guard would let you in after verifying that your vehicle had a tag. I saved a lot of time in those booths.

5. In a few booths, the guard was not present. Had to waste time, honking and flashing lights, and then wait for the guard to appear. In one booth we ended up reversing and going into the regular queue. Paid cash there. Not sure if the tag reader was able to detect tags from adjacent lanes. I doubt that would have happened, as in many cases, I had to be very slow and position my car properly for the tag to be read.

6. In a few booths, the guard was not present, and the the tag readers were not functional as well. Again lost a few minutes before realizing that the Tag lane is not active.

Paid around Rs.2,500 via fastag, rest in cash. As such, appreciate the convenience that it offers. Got an sms from ICICI bank saying that my balance is low. I currently have Rs. 17 in balance, and am waiting for the cash back to happen. Not sure if the sms was an "auto send" feature, or if they are waiting to deduct more money- as a few toll trips were processed a few days after the journey. Since I do not have any major trip coming up, am loath to recharge my account right away, and instead wait for the cash back to get credited.

One quick question to those who have recently traveled from Bangalore to Coorg. Are there toll booths on this stretch. If so, are they fastag enabled?
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:20   #269
Senior - BHPian

A generic observation. One common problem I have noticed in FasTag lanes is that at many times the toll operator (and his security staff) are unable to keep this line exclusively for FasTag holders. The general public also are not aware of these tags, and hence start arguing if they find this lane blocked (or if they find only some vehicles being let through these).

May be there should be a bigger campaign on FasTag, its benefits and toll booths having lines exclusively for them. In Krishnagiri toll, when my vehicle was let through (after the FasTag was scanned), I could see some irritated looks from the drivers of a few other vehicles. Many may have assumed that, I may be some "dirty" VIP who was throwing my weight around and getting "undue" privileges and jumping queues.
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:58   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
New person- Prashanth.

Contact nos: 7026349864/ 9886745679
Hi Ajay, which location did you go to ? I am trying to find the centre for South Bangalore, but locations not listed on ICICI bank's site.

Also, I have tried the two numbers you had given. Prashanth has moved. There is supposed to be a new person Sudhir who does not respond on the 7026349864 number,

Most Viewed