Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2017, 20:16   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
You cannot remove Fasttag once you stick it ,without damaging it.
Are you sure that the tag can't be removed without damaging it ?

Here's a thread on removing stickers http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...indshield.html and I thought that removal without damage would be a fairly straightforward process. I believe they use a paper sticker with plain glue on it.

I'd prefer avoiding a new tag as it involves visiting the bank again.
Old 17th August 2017, 20:19   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Are you sure that the tag can't be removed without damaging it ?
I was told when buying Fasttag that if I try to remove it, I will end up damaging it. Please contact helpline before trying to remove it.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 20:39   #1203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I need to change my windshield as it has cracked from a stone hit. What's the best way to remove the fastag sticker from the old windshield and fix it on the new one ? Soak it in water and then peel it off ? I hope it's not going to damage the tag.
My fastag got damaged while removing it. One of my friend removed his fastag sticker without much damage, but it didn't work later. I think there is a small chip inside which gets damaged easily. So, not sure if soaking it in water will help. No harm in trying it though.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 20:51   #1204
BHPian

Considering the policy announcement i.e. "All NH toll plazas to have separate lane for FASTag vehicles from Sept 1", it does make sense to have one. Any suggestions on what could be the preferred option of procuring one in terms of time and paperwork? I could see that ICICI is one of the options. I was hoping that this option would be available in netbanking login but this is not the case.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 09:39   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Read this news article from NDTV Auto which mentions that fasttag would be sold online from today. People wanting to get one can check and make use of this facility.

Quoting from the source :

Quote:
In a bid to improve the toll process in the country via electronic toll collection, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has announced the sale of FASTags online starting August 18, 2017. The regulatory body that looks after the upkeep of national highways will be retailing FASTags on the NHAI, Issuer Banks and Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) websites, while the tags will also be made available through Common Services Centre (CSC) near toll plazas. In addition, NHAI has announced that it will have exclusive FASTag lanes operational at toll plazas starting September 1, 2017.

Customers purchasing the tags online will have the same delivered to their door step, while the CSCs will immediately hand over the same. NHAI says, the move will increase the sale of FASTags by improving availability and access. The government has been taking steps to introduce electronic toll collections for smoother and faster operations at tolls and this should improve things further.
Edit : I tried online in ICICI site but could not see the link for online purchase, though one can still apply online.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 18th August 2017 at 09:45.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 10:03   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Read
And I read elsewhere that the Govt intends to have at least one lane FASTag enabled? It only means the woes are going to increase as we need at least 3 lanes to cater to FASTag equipped vehicles once most will have access to it.

Further to this, we also need a brilliant, flawless and efficient system to scan the tags and let them pass a booth automatically. Even with the current set-up, I have noticed umpteen cases where the automated scanner fails to recognise a tag and subsequently (and at times)even the manual scanner fails. Should I also say that the booth attendant at Hirisave once asked me to wipe the dust off the FASTag because it was not readable .

It will be chaotic the moment one vehicle fails to pass a booth while rest of them are kept waiting behind.

In a nutshell - We need to upgrade the system to function more efficiently before we talk about making these tags available to users. We also know that Automated systems will also take away few headcounts manning the booth.

I read PM last week from a member who drove to Pune that one of the booths (Bankapura) didn't have FASTag despite of having a lane (and it was functional before) and when he questioned the booth staff they replied that "FASTag is affecting our livelihood". Beat that!!

While the idea and implementation of this project is commendable, it is the execution as on today which needs urgent attention. A majority of us are not really happy, as things remain very inconsistent.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th August 2017 at 10:04.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 10:10   #1207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And I read elsewhere that the Govt intends to have at least one lane FASTag enabled? It only means the woes are going to increase as we need at least 3 lanes to cater to FASTag equipped vehicles once most will have access to it.
From what I read in a news article, the plan is to enable FasTag in all lanes, and then have one dedicated lane for FasTag users only. I hope once more users start getting FasTag, the regular lanes will also see faster movement. Then they can reduce the number of cash lanes.

I also read that the toll operators were not encouraging Fastag due to problems in the process. But considering that they can save the salary of a few toll operators on a monthly basis, I think that should be a worthy compensation to any delays in payment. The only problem is if the toll booth operator is indulging in any malpractice, which will have to be reduced with fastag. This would prevent them from encouraging the use of Fastag.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 10:10   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On the contrary I read that all the lanes would be fasttag enabled and new vehicles sold would come as fasttag enabled. But yes most of these news are rumors until you hear from the official source.

Quote:
I read PM last week from a member who drove to Pune that one of the booths (Bankapura) didn't have FASTag despite of having a lane (and it was functional before) and when he questioned the booth staff they replied that "FASTag is affecting our livelihood". Beat that!!
I think they are losing money by not being able to manipulate the transaction and make some illegal money. I can't think of any other reason as anyway the cash is not theirs to take . Everybody wants money free and fast.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 18th August 2017 at 10:30.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 10:20   #1209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
From what I read in a news article, the plan is to enable FasTag in all lanes, and then have one dedicated lane for FasTag users only. I hope once more users start getting FasTag, the regular lanes will also see faster movement. Then they can reduce the number of cash lanes.
This is the present state at both Kirisave (Hirisave) as well as Shantigrama Toll Plazas. There is one Dedicated Lane but all lanes are FASTag enabled, means you can take any lane and the booth operator lets you go once the tag is scanned by the scanner placed ahead. This means there is still human intervention and it saves around a minute at max.

And interestingly, a lane they have marked as FASTag (I presume this as dedicated) is where all vehicles are allowed to pass, beating the whole purpose of having a dedicated lane.

Quote:
On the contrary I read that all the lanes would be fasttag enabled and new vehicles sold would come as fasttag enabled.
I stand corrected then. May be I missed reading it right when someone shared ToI article last night on Social messaging app.

Quote:
I think they are losing money by not being able to manipulate the transaction and make some illegal money. I can't think of any other reason as anyway the cash is not theirs to take anyway. Everybody wants money free and fast.
This is THE Reason I can think of. I remember very well whenever I used to drive down from Pune to Bangalore at night during my weekly shuttling days in 2009-10, a booth in MH used a modus operandi where they would ask me to pay less than half of the toll amount while they let me go and I will be honest to say that I said yes on one such occasion and this guy bends the barrier and let me go, thus fooling the system.

And I have seen many cases where the booth operator hands over an existing receipt too.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 11:03   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Read this news article from NDTV Auto which mentions that fasttag would be sold online from today. People wanting to get one can check and make use of this facility.
It is there on the NHAI homepage. On clicking it, it asks you to select the provider (ICICI, HDFC, Axis, etc). You will be asked to provide your name and number. And then you are directed to the respective provider's FASTag application page.

So, it is not actually an online purchase, but more a centralized place for enabling people to know the service providers and be directed to their respective applications.
Aiel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 11:14   #1211
BHPian

Here is another article.

Quoting from the article

"My FASTag is a customer mobile app, where highway users can purchase and recharge their FASTag and keep track of the electronic toll collection transactions.

'Another app — FASTag Partner — can be used by agencies, CSCs and vehicle dealers to upgrade the RFID tags attached in 74 lakh vehicles sold since 2013, to FASTags. There are six lakh tags in use currently. ''

This would be a welcome move. The FASTAG could be attached to the cars original RFID.

My FASTag is on the App store, while FASTag Partner is not.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle9820779.ece
Old 18th August 2017, 11:31   #1212
Distinguished - BHPian

In ToI today. Looks like MoRTH hell bent on FASTag!
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-1503036060419.jpg  

Old 18th August 2017, 13:14   #1213
BHPian

Please don't download the app in it's present version. It just redirects you to the fastag pages on websites of various banks.

More importantly, it is not easy to uninstall it. There is a bug in it.

So, beware.
hyd_traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 13:26   #1214
BHPian

The partner app is nowhere visible.
And found a presentation on the apps (end of the page on the below link). the interesting part is the last few slides, that give some glimpse of how the partner app will be used to write 'new' fastag info on the OEM RFIDs already affixed on the car.
But i am truly astonished by the poor quality of the consumer app as well as this presentation. it is full of grammatical errors. Not expected by this government.

http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelea...x?relid=170054
Old 18th August 2017, 13:30   #1215
BHPian

Looks like FasTag is now available on PayTM. This may also be better in the long run as PayTM may not charge any transaction fee for recharging. I have not personally tried it as I already have an ICICI FasTag. Maybe someone here could apply and share their experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
This app looks shady to me as the publisher's name is "V1". Who publishes the app using a developer name V1?!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks