Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 16:16   #2821
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Active RFID tags such as BETL tags and some parking tags would be always powered and when they get a signal from a scanner, they become fully operational and try to communicate.
BETL is also passive RFID tag what you get today.

Earlier they used to have active RFID tags and moved to passive around 5 years back.

I have used both and only last year removed their passive tag as it was interfering at couple of toll plazas on my route home.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 22:01   #2822
BHPian

Hello Friends, I applied Fastag on paytm on 21 Jul. INR 150 got added to my account but I am yet to receive the Fastag physically. Delivery dates keep shifting on the paytm tracking. As I am unable to cancel, any cues on how to follow this up would be of great help!
Old 9th August 2018, 23:30   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Going towards Mumbai all lanes have Fastag enabled, while going towards Pune only the Talegoan Plaza has all lanes Fastag enabled.
All these days my Axis Bank tag had to be scanned manually everytime. It never worked automatically.

Now I have a HDFC Bank tag which has worked flawlessly at Khed Shivapur toll (both ways) last week.

Now here is my my problem

At Khalapur when coming towards Pune I usually stay on the rightmost lane to avoid truck/buses in the left and middle lane. If all lanes are not Fastag enabled I will have to pay cash

Then at Talegaon my tag will get scanned and I will endup paying 138+138 or even 230+138!!

With the Axis Bank tag I always had the option to pay cash and not worry about tag getting scanned automatically.

Can someone confirm which and how many lanes at Khalapur are Fastag enabled?
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 00:12   #2824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthacharya View Post
The Fastag which came as part of my new Vehicle Purchase has finally been activated by my Tata Dealer... the vehicle details still shows the Chassis Number. Could this be an issue going forward?
This is not an issue, because chassis number is also a unique identifier of your vehicle. However, once you get permanent registration number, you can ask the dealer/ paytm to update it in place of chassis number. It's easier to correlate in case you are having multiple FASTags (for different vehicles) under one account.

In my case, the dealer person updated the details through ICICI FASTag Dealer portal.
AutoNoob is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 21:57   #2825
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangkok's Easy Pass experience:

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th August 2018 at 21:59.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 22:31   #2826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Bangkok's Easy Pass experience:
Yes, this is how it should be. We too have few tolls which gives similar experience, but they are not consistent across. Here is one,

arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 09:08   #2827
BHPian

Was driving on the Mumbai Pune expressway yesterday, the fast tag had a balance of Rs. 200. On the first toll, Rs. 138 got deducted automatically and at the next toll since there was insufficient balance, I paid Rs. 138.

- total one way toll is Rs. 230
- if my fast tag had a balance of around 300, would 230 get deducted at the first toll or still it would be Rs. 138 and Rs. 138 at the next toll?
- if toll deduction is automatic and does not care for destination logic then a person will end up paying Rs. 276 if paid by fast tag. That's a loss of Rs. 46 per trip
- how does fast tag really give advantage in case of multiple tolls along a route where paying lump sum for the whole route is cheaper
- if this is really a flaw, it may be better to pay by cash/card i.e. If you don't mind the wait time of 1-2 mins at the toll window
Old 12th August 2018, 09:21   #2828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
- if my fast tag had a balance of around 300, would 230 get deducted at the first toll or still it would be Rs. 138 and Rs. 138 at the next toll?
If you drove the entire length of the MPEW then at your exit toll booth a further Rs. 92 would have been deducted. If you exited at any of the intermediate exits then an appropriate amount would have been deducted based on the total toll you have to pay.

Fastag is generally compatible with all the different toll collection models in practice in India.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 09:25   #2829
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- total one way toll is Rs. 230
- if toll deduction is automatic and does not care for destination logic then a person will end up paying Rs. 276 if paid by fast tag. That's a loss of Rs. 46 per trip
There wouldn't be any loss/additional charge since Fastag would first deduct Rs.138 and next time it scans if it identifies that it needs to charge a return/day charge toll amount for the sector of usage, it will only deduct the balance (230 -138) = Rs.92
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 11:32   #2830
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Ordered a Paytm Fastag early last week through the Paytm app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
I applied for payTM fastag, received the SMS to upload the RC copy. When I tried to: you know what, after all these years, still the same bloody error -- "Registration failed try again later" flashing.
After multiple follow-ups with Paytm Customer Care, each time during which I was assured,"your Fastag will be dispatched today, I assure you", I got a message today saying that my order stands cancelled and the money refunded.

I placed the order on 24-July and it was cancelled today. Funnily, my colleague order it on 25-July and got it last week.

What now? Should I get it from ICICI (no relationship) or HDFC (Preferred, and all my banking with them).
Old 13th August 2018, 12:02   #2831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What now? Should I get it from ICICI (no relationship) or HDFC (Preferred, and all my banking with them).
Go with ICICI - fairly mature and trouble free. Had no issues claiming refunds as well (slightly slow for refunds)

There is no need, nor use, for a relationship with the banking side. The two are quite independent
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 12:03   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
There wouldn't be any loss/additional charge since Fastag would first deduct Rs.138 and next time it scans if it identifies that it needs to charge a return/day charge toll amount for the sector of usage, it will only deduct the balance (230 -138) = Rs.92
Thanks. Will have to try this out. I ended up paying 138 x 2 as once it was deducted by fast tag but at the next toll since fast tag did not have the requisite balance, the toll operator asked for 138 again even though I showed him the deduction of 138 at the previous toll.
Old 13th August 2018, 19:17   #2833
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I ended up paying 138 x 2 as once it was deducted by fast tag but at the next toll since fast tag did not have the requisite balance, the toll operator asked for 138 again even though I showed him the deduction of 138 at the previous toll.
In your case, this seems like an edge case scenario since you used the Fastag for onward journey and ran out of balance during your return journey.

I think the toll booth attendant was right in charging you Rs.138 again since the day pass of Rs.230 (if paying cash like non-Fastag users do) needs to be taken at the time you enter the expressway for your onward journey (it cannot be paid retrospectively at the toll when you begin your return journey).

This is however easy and solved in case you use Fastag both ways and have requisite balance.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 08:30   #2834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
All these days my Axis Bank tag had to be scanned manually everytime. It never worked automatically.
Very interesting. I was just going to post and happened to read your post. I too have an Axis bank Fastag and this has not worked 2/2 times until now. This was affixed by the dealer on a recent Maruti Baleno that I bought and twice on the Bangalore Airport tollbooth, it didn't work.

The operator had to scan manually and after 2-3 attempts, it worked. This is painful and I cannot be doing this on a regular basis.

I'm considering returning it and getting a PayTM one probably.

Has anyone returned their Fastag and got a refund?
Old 14th August 2018, 08:38   #2835
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I recently got my ICICI tag changed because of windshield change. Called them up, placed an order. Within a week all done. The tag came home in a courier. Definitely ICICI seems to have improved quite well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed