Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 16:52   #3871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

So I just went and got the Fastag for the car. I got it on the NHAI toll here, and there were a bunch of Airtel peeps who were in charge of the "distribution". Had to load up my Airtel Bank with 150 bucks and that was transferred to the Fastag, and I got it for free.

Now my questions:

1. I had to register (?) the fastag in my brother's airtel number to get things going. My Airtel lacked the KYC thing, and it was really getting on my nerves.

2. Can I use any gateway/wallet to recharge the Fastag or am I stuck with Airtel?

3. If yes, how do I go about it? Download the Fastag App or something?

4. If I am stuck with the Airtel Bank (i doubt this), can I add my number/bank and do the transactions from my app as against his? I'm basically asking if 1 Fastag can be shared by multiple people for loading.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 17:04   #3872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Tried recharging my SBI Fastag with UPI twice, failed both times.
I guess SBI's isn't UPI enabled. It's not possibl even from SBI's UPI app. The error is in lines of 'Vehicle number invalid'. I've tried with @sbi and @oksbi. For a year, I've been recharging from card.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 17:43   #3873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Tried recharging my SBI Fastag with UPI twice, failed both times. That was after GPay failed to recognize the netc.<reg#>@sbi VPA for an entire day.
I think only a few fastag providers support this type of recharging the tag directly like icici and equitas. Not sure if SBI does.
Old 26th November 2019, 18:55   #3874
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I have a query, I have purchased Vento TDI on November 22nd. And here in Hyderabad, first you would get a Temporary registration number and to get a permanent RC, it takes at least 2 to 3 weeks time. And I am planning for a 600 Kms trip on November 30th. So, my query is, can I get a Fastag at any NHAI tolls based on the Temporary registration number?
pkothak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 19:19   #3875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
1. I had to register (?) the fastag in my brother's airtel number to get things going. My Airtel lacked the KYC thing, and it was really getting on my nerves.

2. Can I use any gateway/wallet to recharge the Fastag or am I stuck with Airtel?

3. If yes, how do I go about it? Download the Fastag App or something?

4. If I am stuck with the Airtel Bank (i doubt this), can I add my number/bank and do the transactions from my app as against his? I'm basically asking if 1 Fastag can be shared by multiple people for loading.
1. Airtel payments bank asks only the document's number ( I used my aadhaar card) and requests us to set up an mPIN to secure our account. That is what I did.

2. There is no way to recharge our Fastag. Instead, we have to recharge our Airtel payments bank account, and the money gets deducted from that.

3. No idea.

4. There should be an option of changing the mobile number using OTP. You can replace his number with yours, set up an Airtel payments bank account and load money in yours for transaction.

Hope this helps.

However, I'm not 100% sure of how this works. I've just now filled the details for the purchase of Airtel fastag. "What to do if we are going to sell our car?" is the question which stops me from proceeding further.

Thanks,
Sooraj.
Old 26th November 2019, 20:20   #3876
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried getting a HDFC Bank Fastag for my wife’s Vento. The online link failed multiple times while using Chrome. Was finally able to get the application uploaded using Edge. (Not sure if that was because of the change of browser or because their site was clogged). After making the payment, I got a message that an email confirmation has been sent and my Fastag would reach me in a week. This was on Saturday. However, no email confirmation arrived. Spoke to my RM today, and after checking she said that they are clogged with applications and hence their systems have collapsed, and emails are not going out. However, she promised we would get our Fastag by December 1. Let’s see how this works.

I am having a bigger problem for my X3, which is owned by my employer. HDFC Bank requires the form to be submitted by the car owner, with Certificate of Incorporation, KYC of Directors etc. My admin guys seem to have other things to do - so I am not clear when I will get a Fastag for that car. Fortunately, Fastag will come to Bombay city tolls only sometime next year, so this should not be a big problem.
Old 26th November 2019, 20:30   #3877
BHPian

I applied for the Fastag through the ICICI app and paid 499 for it. The useable balance on the tag is Rs 200, the rest going towards refundable deposit and tag charges. I was pleasantly surprised to receive the tag 5 days later on the 19th. Activation was simple and I didn't need to upload KYC documents since I have an ICICI account.
I've not yet had a chance to use it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
.Paste screen protector on the windshield, and then the fastag on the screen protector.
Planning to use this method to fix the tag. I have a spare screen protector but its the tempered glass variety so I need to get the plastic one.

Last edited by Roy.S : 26th November 2019 at 20:38.
Old 26th November 2019, 21:14   #3878
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I guess SBI's isn't UPI enabled. It's not possibl even from SBI's UPI app. The error is in lines of 'Vehicle number invalid'. I've tried with @sbi and @oksbi. For a year, I've been recharging from card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
I think only a few fastag providers support this type of recharging the tag directly like icici and equitas. Not sure if SBI does.
When I type netc.<reg#>@sbi and click verify, it does recognize the entry as SBI Fastag Recharge, so the gateway definitely exists. It just seems to have a high failure rate, in line with SBI UPI transactions in general.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th November 2019 at 21:17.
Old 26th November 2019, 21:45   #3879
BHPian

A noob query: I hope icici fastag also works at Mumbai entry toll plazas as well. Or one need to have seperate mep etc tag for Mumbai entry plazas?

I couldn't find Mumbai entry plazas in icici active plaza list on icici website.

Last edited by yoscenario2000 : 26th November 2019 at 22:01. Reason: Aditional information about toll plaza list added.
Old 26th November 2019, 21:54   #3880
BHPian

My friend got this sticker on Tata nexon windshield. Is it Fastag or something else?
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img20191126wa0000.jpg  

MadTitan47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 22:52   #3881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan47 View Post
My friend got this sticker on Tata nexon windshield. Is it Fastag or something else?
That's an RFID but not a Fastag.
RFID tags are extensively used in vehicle manufacturing plants in tracking not only shipping products, but also components in manufacturing assembly. They are used majorly to in logistics, stock, and tracking assembly components to final vehicles.
This RFID helps in tracking that vehicle back down to the smallest of details.

Fastag scanners at toll gates cannot read it simply because they're not programmed to do that. Also this tag doesn't hamper the Fastag scanning
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 23:08   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoscenario2000 View Post
A noob query: I hope icici fastag also works at Mumbai entry toll plazas as well. Or one need to have seperate mep etc tag for Mumbai entry plazas?

I couldn't find Mumbai entry plazas in icici active plaza list on icici website.
the Fastag is for National Highways. So for your Mumbai entry/exits points (5 I guess) needs a separate MEP tag.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 00:29   #3883

Fastag is big and gaudy with unnecessary branding of ICICI or paytm or HDFC etc..
Has anyone tried to trim off the edges and stick only the core rfid to windshield?

Just asking if I cut off the edges will it affect the rfid stuff?
I am not savvy but can't agree with the rfid sticker being so big.
seltos98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 07:02   #3884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltos98 View Post
Has anyone tried to trim off the edges and stick only the core rfid to windshield?
Most dedicated fastag lanes are guarded and they allow you inside only when they see the fastag sticker. If the edges are trimmed they might not be able to identify it as a fastag RFID and may not allow you to use the lane.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 09:21   #3885

Guarding may not be practical once enough people start using it. we can ask them to use the handheld if they want to confirm.

I hope trimming won't be considered as tampering since the core rfid part will be intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Most dedicated fastag lanes are guarded and they allow you inside only when they see the fastag sticker. If the edges are trimmed they might not be able to identify it as a fastag RFID and may not allow you to use the lane.

Most Viewed