Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2019, 19:08   #3976
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Govt is mulling extending date till 15 dec. Unable to post link from the TOI app, posting sreen shot.
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-20191129_190626.jpg
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 19:42   #3977
Senior - BHPian

I bought a fastag at a temporary counter on NH4 near Karur about 2 months back. I was told that it will be activated in 2 hours. I got the activation message but the tag was not recognised in any toll booth even with hand scanner. I have even added money to the tag but it is not recognised. It is suspected to be a manufacturing defect.
However on calling the helpline, I’m asked to go back to the place where I bought it from, which is a temporary counter. I've spoken to the Fasttag helpline and SBI customer care. Also mailed both and tweeted to both. But no response from either of them.
Is the only option left to dump this Fastag and get a new one? I don’t want to lose the money I have recharged. How do I remove the sticker from my windshield?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 20:05   #3978
BHPian

PTI reports that the implementation date has been extended up to the 15th of December, 2019.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 20:40   #3979
Senior - BHPian

Please read the notification from the government.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-ekjgempvuaarrjh.jpg  

ruzbehxyz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 22:49   #3980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoscenario2000 View Post
I'm exactly in the same dilemma.

My car usage is on highway once a month & on Mumbai entry/exits weekdays. Until now I wasn't facing any issues at Mumbai entry/exit toll through cash payments, so I was reluctant to go via mep etc tag way.

But now I've procured icici fastag, since I've Highway trip coming up this weekend. And I'm crossing my fingers to be not in a situation where I need to buy mep etc tag too.

Few posts back someone mentioned that fastag would be accepted on Mumbai entry/exit tolls soon, to be inline with Government's mission of one tag nationwide.

Let's hope it would be implemented soon.
I'm scheduled for Highway trip tomorrow early morning.

I'll soon update here my fastag experience on Mumbai-Nasik expressway till Dhule passing through 3 toll plazas with entry-exit scheme. All these toll plazas are mentioned as active on icici list. But I've seen lots chaos here on fastag lane in my frequent regular trips.

What I'm really wondering is how my pass through 2 interconnecting plazas will work out. Will it be same as cash reciepts scanning at exit and pass or double charged on exit plazas.
yoscenario2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 01:33   #3981
BHPian

Exactly the similar highway trip is scheduled early morning for me. I have changed my ICICI fastag for third time as both tags before this were not getting detected automatically. Now I have pasted this new fastag on screen guard film and sticked it on windshield behind IRVM with cello tape. Let's see how it works now. Meanwhile let's see if we catch each other.
Old 30th November 2019, 02:37   #3982

I tried to look for posts in this thread that explains the rationale and need to prevent fastag sharing.
Does the law clearly discourage sharing and deem it as an offense?

On the surface of it, the approach sounds like a typical complicated procedure and overkill. Almost akin to the 50s and 60s bicycle number plates, dynamo and head light laws.

Especially smart plates readily give out the RC details and so fastag should focus on serving the core purpose... 'Digital Money' only.

Cheaters across different vehicle classes can't/won't be deterred with the no sharing approach. Whereas the regular people with carpools etc are forced to bear the addon costs.

Simple case of car pool of 5 people with 5 cars on rotation means shelling out 2500 rps vs 500 rps if allowed to share the tag.

I'm not looking to start a debate, just would like to understand why and how we ended up with this approach and is there a bigger purpose and value that I've simply missed.
Old 30th November 2019, 08:05   #3983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltos98 View Post
Simple case of car pool of 5 people with 5 cars on rotation means shelling out 2500 rps vs 500 rps if allowed to share the tag.
Assuming 300M vehicles go in for this TAG, someone is going to sit on almost 9B USD equivalent of Indian money, assuming 200Rs deposit per TAG. This sort of forced fund creation seems shady to me and that's one reason I am not doing this yet for our three cars at home.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 09:24   #3984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
Exactly the similar highway trip is scheduled early morning for me. I have changed my ICICI fastag for third time as both tags before this were not getting detected automatically. Now I have pasted this new fastag on screen guard film and sticked it on windshield behind IRVM with cello tape. Let's see how it works now. Meanwhile let's see if we catch each other.
Please let us know how your fastag journey went this time.I am also in the same boat as yours. In how many days was your Fastag replaced? I have been quoted 7 days by raising a compliant on their fastag portal. Are you pasting it outside this time or inside the wind shield.
Old 30th November 2019, 09:28   #3985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Assuming 300M vehicles go in for this TAG, someone is going to sit on almost 9B USD equivalent of Indian money, assuming 200Rs deposit per TAG. This sort of forced fund creation seems shady to me and that's one reason I am not doing this yet for our three cars at home.
That's the classic Indian mentality of cooking up conspiracy theories!

Even though fund accumulation and interest thereof would definitely be a side-effect (albeit not to any one person but distributed over *several entities/banks*), pray why can't you just look at the scheme at its own merits, viz. one that would go towards reduced wait time, fuel savings, and more digital payments.

Pls don't let such conspiracy theories be the reason for not uptaking FASTag.

Last edited by vharihar : 30th November 2019 at 09:30.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 09:35   #3986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Why can't the system being implemented be portable and multi-faceted to handle other government services like the metro and parking meters etc like many other countries? When those start, again you will pay deposit for those? I am already sitting on 7 metro cards each with a certain amount of deposit and balance. See the bigger picture. I am not opposing the fasttag or rapid payment, just the mode of implementation and coercion of money in the form of a deposit. Why should this need a deposit?
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 11:30   #3987
BHPian

Quote:
someone is going to sit on almost 9B USD equivalent of Indian money.
Quoting myself, poor at math, as this should read 0.9B and not 9B.
Old 30th November 2019, 11:36   #3988
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post

Pls don't let such conspiracy theories be the reason for not uptaking FASTag.

Buddy Kindly do not be dismissive.
It is a valid point the gentleman is making. Its the agencies of today that are cooking up devious ways to fill their coffers.
Of course FasTag and other digital systems are needed to expedite transport speeds of passengers and goods but it needs to be transparent.
It cannot be allowed to become another mode of corruption and exploitation of the general public, given that its a direct access to our hard earned money.
If you notice, the question is not about reduced wait time, fuel savings, and more digital payments, all of which is a good thing.
It is about the deposit which is more usually than not, never refunded.
Only by asking pertinent questions such as these can change be effected in these systems. One has every right to know where the money is going and what this is being used for.
cheers
famousshoes is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 12:05   #3989
BANNED

I bought three more FasTAG from PayTM and my experience so far has been wonderful. Never faced an issue, always easily detected and working find too.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 17:59   #3990
BHPian

I have applied for 2 Fastags from ICICI Bank separately for my cars. Is there a provision in the web portal to link them?

Called up customer care seeking help in this regard but they're absolutely clueless.

Most Viewed