Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2021, 11:59   #5476
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Couple of weeks ago, my online login to the ICICI Fastag portal got locked out and I couldn't reset the password with the forgot password option since the SMS message wasn't delivered.
Mine was also "locked out" and I tried the forgot password option. The OTP was delivered only on second attempt.

The "locked out" message asks one to contact customer service is bit misleading because you can try the Forgot password option or the phone number based login.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 12:45   #5477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
If both tags have same issue, then either the location is the issue OR GLASS may be an issue.

Two options are available for you to isolate the problem.

1. Take same tag and stick it at back side of the mirror inside the car. If this works, then earlier stuck location is the culprit.

2. Take one of your earlier tags which did not work in your car and try from another car near the toll ( or taxi) by keeping the tag at same location where it was stuck (you will lose some money but you can isolate the issue)
If this works, then there is something wrong with the glass.
Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly I threw away the earlier tag (with a great deal of satisfaction because it never worked properly) the moment I got the new tag. Did not expect to face an issue with the new one. Maybe will peel out the new one and try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Quite strange. I have used different RFID tags (never used Fastag till date though) and never heard of such an issue.

In case nothing else works.

Buy a new fastag. Dont paste it anywhere this time. Simply stick it out of the window at toll plaza. Someone is doing this (his reason is different) and it works every time.

Added benefit is that no one will have to enter your car cabin to scan the tag (risky during COVID-19 times).

Keyword is "If nothing else works" before anyone criticizes this method.
Thank you, and the 'if nothing else works' is duly noted

Guess I will try to peel out the current one and try sticking it out the window. People entering the cabin to scan is quite scary. This will definitely help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
This here could be the reason you're facing problems with the tag:
Thank you. I was also doing some search on the net and the Volvo UK site mentions that some of the windscreens have a a heat reflective film, and I have to check the manual for the non-coated location. They say the non-coated area is usually the green tinged strip on top.

"Some cars are equipped with heat reflective film in the windscreen (IR film) that reduces the sun's heat radiation in the passenger compartment. If you use a road toll tag, Sanef-tag or a similar device to pass through road tolls, it is important that it is positioned so that it is not covered by the heat reflective film. The location of the heat reflective film differs between different car models. You can find more information in the owner's manual for the car on where you should fit the road toll tag."

I will check the manual too.

Thanks once again everyone. Team-BHP has always helped out with useful suggestions such as these.
Old 18th January 2021, 12:50   #5478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Added benefit is that no one will have to enter your car cabin to scan the tag (risky during COVID-19 times).
No one enters the car to scan the tag manually. Where did you see that?

They get off their cabin with a hand held scanner and scan the tag from outside by getting the scanner close to the tag.
Old 18th January 2021, 13:17   #5479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Quoting the OP's post below where he says tag can't be scanned from outside using the manual scanner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
At every toll booth, they have to use the manual scanner and read it from the inside. The manual scanner does not work from the outside.
Old 18th January 2021, 13:36   #5480
BHPian

Quote:

They get off their cabin with a hand held scanner and scan the tag from outside by getting the scanner close to the tag.
They tried scanning it from the outside with the manual scanner, but it did not work. So I had to lower the window, and get it scanned from the inside. And it worked when scanned from the inside.

At some of the booths they put their hand inside with the scanner, and at others, they gave me the scanner to do it on my own. Given the COVID situation, it was an uncomfortable experience.

Quote:
Quoting the OP's post below where he says tag can't be scanned from outside using the manual scanner.
It looks like heat reflective film in the windscreen (IR film) might be the issue. On one of the other threads @androdev [not sure how to link that here] was suggesting that I shine a flashlight on the windshield to spot the cut-outs in the IR, where I can affix the FASTag.
manualManuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 13:49   #5481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manualManuel View Post
They tried scanning it from the outside with the manual scanner, but it did not work. So I had to lower the window, and get it scanned from the inside. And it worked when scanned from the inside.

At some of the booths they put their hand inside with the scanner, and at others, they gave me the scanner to do it on my own. Given the COVID situation, it was an uncomfortable experience.
This is the first time I've heard of it. I'd rather just pay cash than let him lean inside the car. Numerous times they have scanned my car from outside.
Old 18th January 2021, 14:11   #5482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the first time I've heard of it. I'd rather just pay cash than let him lean inside the car. Numerous times they have scanned my car from outside.
Way back in 2017, at a toll near Avinashi, CBE, the attendant did peep inside to scan the barcode when scanning externally didn't help.

However, there are users here who have had issues with tag not getting scanned by automated readers for some models of cars that come with special windscreen. It is then where manual scanners are tried from outside and when they too fail to work, they need to scan from the inside.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 23:00   #5483
Senior - BHPian

Can I remove the fastag and stick it again or will it get ruined?

The guy who stuck it today stuck it at an angle and thats annoying me.
Old 18th January 2021, 23:17   #5484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Can I remove the fastag and stick it again or will it get ruined?

The guy who stuck it today stuck it at an angle and thats annoying me.
It is possible to reuse but very difficult to remove a fastag without damaging it. Would suggest to order a replacement tag if the current placement is too much annoying. I can relate to this
Old 18th January 2021, 23:39   #5485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
It is possible to reuse but very difficult to remove a fastag without damaging it. Would suggest to order a replacement tag if the current placement is too much annoying. I can relate to this
Thanks but I've been told that to order another it will take like 15 days and 100 bucks.
Old 19th January 2021, 10:43   #5486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Thanks but I've been told that to order another it will take like 15 days and 100 bucks.
That's right, but I have seen 2 instances where the fastag was damaged even when carefully removed. You can give it a try as I have seen some YouTube help videos.
Old 19th January 2021, 12:38   #5487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Axis bank Fastag not able to recharge since morning via their already pathetic website.

Multiple calls to call center, and they respond saying systems are slow

Need to move in an hour, and I think I have to end up paying cash .

If somebody is selling you Axis bank Fastag, avoid it like a plague and RUN!!
Update: Apparently KYC was not complete for this almost 3 year old Fastag. Fastag had come with my new car and there was no KYC then.

What was frustrating with Axis bank Fastag was there was no intimation or notification that KYC was pending and it would be deactivated . I used the Fastag last during Christmas weekend. Also they were not able to access this info for a day. Zero call backs.

So much for Axis bank's IT systems; I wonder how their core banking IT systems are.

The balance in the tag was sufficient for the onward journey but had to pay cash for the return leg.

As soon as I came back from that trip, ordered an ICICI Fastag, got it within 4 days, and used it for a weekend trip to Chennai.

Good riddance to the Axis bank Fastag.
Old 19th January 2021, 16:45   #5488
BHPian

I already have a Fastag linked to ICICI. However, I found it slightly torn a couple of days back.
When I contacted the Customer Care, I was told to completely remove the existing one and get a new Fastag from the ICICI agents from any of the Toll plazas since I am on a travel.

Please let me know
1. What is the procedure to get Fastag from Toll Plazas?
2. Is it activated instantly so I can use right away and can I use the existing Fastag account?
3. Are the Fastag agents available 24/7 in the Toll Plazas?
4. do I have to resubmit all the documents again?

Last edited by ramanan.skr : 19th January 2021 at 16:47.
Old 19th January 2021, 16:54   #5489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Way back in 2017, at a toll near Avinashi, CBE, the attendant did peep inside to scan the barcode when scanning externally didn't help.

However, there are users here who have had issues with tag not getting scanned by automated readers for some models of cars that come with special windscreen. It is then where manual scanners are tried from outside and when they too fail to work, they need to scan from the inside.
Happened on the BETL flyover this Sunday, there were couple of cars in queue ahead of me when the scanner stopped working. The attendant started writing down car numbers in a register and let us through. Later that night, I got the SMS for toll deduction. Seems they have a process of manual upload when the scanners don't work.
Old 19th January 2021, 17:02   #5490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanwithk750 View Post
Happened on the BETL flyover this Sunday, there were couple of cars in queue ahead of me when the scanner stopped working. The attendant started writing down car numbers in a register and let us through. Later that night, I got the SMS for toll deduction. Seems they have a process of manual upload when the scanners don't work.
What I am referring to is scanning manually using a "hand-held" scanner by bringing it closer to the tag.

Usual practice is to scan the tag from outside the windscreen but the instance I (and others)are referring to is when the same scanner is brought inside the cabin and the tag is scanned from the inside.

The practice of writing down vehicle numbers has been there at many tolls after which the booth sends this request to NCPI and amount is deducted from our tag accounts.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed