Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 18:17   #5401
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have a PayTm Fastag which worked very well, but I have not hit the highway since March. Can I continue with the same one from Jan 1st or any tweaking/extra feature is required?
I have come across the “Blacklisted” issue of FastTAG when I resumed my road trips. I faced this issue when I crossed NHAI Toll in the month of October 2020. The usage of FastTAG was idle due to Covid and Paytm did not send messages or updates about the usage of FastTAG. The first toll did not accept the FastTAG, and I assumed that it might have occurred due to RFID scan( I have sufficient balance of above Rs 150) and thought that maybe the next toll that I come across might accept. But this continued for around five tolls and I had paid cash to cross the toll. It was frustrating as I was trying to scan and the toll guy kept on calling out that my number was Blacklisted. I had also a decent balance and hence I was losing my cool. I then raised a complaint to 1033 and spoke to the PayTM FastTAG support team. The team asked me to replace the FastTAG ID. Thankfully the PayTM, had their support team set up near every Toll. I replaced my FastTAG near Bankapur Toll and it worked till i reached Goa without any hassles.
What I understood was that the FastTAG damage can be due sun exposure or some scratch. Don't know what could be a issue...
Old 31st December 2020, 08:03   #5402
Distinguished - BHPian

The 100% cashless FasTag transaction deadline has been extended to 15th February 2021 from earlier date of 1st January 2021.

Link
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 12:06   #5403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The 100% cashless FasTag transaction deadline has been extended to 15th February 2021 from earlier date of 1st January 2021.
As expected, the government keeps extending the deadline so often that the the word 'deadline' has lost its meaning.

They really need to start selling Fastags at all toll plaza's. Majority of the toll plaza's (if not all), does not sell fastag's which is disappointing.
logicalidiot is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 12:30   #5404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
As expected, the government keeps extending the deadline so often that the the word 'deadline' has lost its meaning.

They really need to start selling Fastags at all toll plaza's. Majority of the toll plaza's (if not all), does not sell fastag's which is disappointing.
It is not 1000 or 2000 tags. The whole country has to be on fastags.

Secondly, if they enforce very strict adherence, who, do you think, would suffer?

Its fastag users. Knowing our people behavior, if there is a long queue in cash lane, (because of strict adherence of rules), naturally all vehicles who do not have fastags will end up in fastag lanes creating huge nuisance. So, ultimately we will suffer.

It is better to extend the deadlines another 6-7 times and cover 99% population rather than creating mess near every toll booth.

Regarding your second point, I agree.

But, it is not the unavailability of Fastag that is the issue today. It is the "why fastag for me" attitude.

Spending 500 rs for a piece of paper and usage of which is just 2-3 times in a year. Should I really invest is the question. And after some x years(i think it is 5years) it needs re-purchase.

For private bus owners(based on my discussions with one owner) fastag is a big headache.

They collect the amount from customers for contract duration based on per day and per 300kms+ driver bhata

Over and above that, toll charges if any are to be paid by owner at actuals as per contract

Now if the owners purchase fastag, customer refuses to pay the amount for toll. It will be in the order of 1000s for long journeys. Hence owners do have lot of resistance to purchase fastag.

It may seem illogical, but this is how we think.

PS: I am putting together the points gathered during my discussions with various people. I have purchased fastags for all my vehicles.

Last edited by gkveda : 31st December 2020 at 12:44.
gkveda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 13:11   #5405
BHPian

I don’t understand the need of making Fastag mandatory. On the face of it, majority of the cars in India do not cross tolls even on a monthly basis.
As an example: We have two cars in family and father’s car is only used for city duties. I just see no point in getting a Fastag for that car.

Instead of mandating it for everyone, the government should discount tolls for Fastag holders so that frequent users are incentivised to get it. Combine that with strict compliance on Fastag lanes NOT entertaining cash at all and that should be a much better way to implement things.

But that will put the onus on government so let’s take the easy path of making everyone buy it even if everyone doesn’t need it

PS: I am a happy Paytm Fastag user with the only grouse that I still need to peddle cash for state highway tolls.
warrioraks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 13:17   #5406
Senior - BHPian

I read Nitin Gadkari claimed all toll plazas in NHs will be done away with in a couple of years. Currently we stop at the toll gate briefly for the RFID to be scanned. How will the toll be debited if toll plazas are dismantled and vehicles go at a good speed?
Old 31st December 2020, 14:23   #5407
BHPian

Quote:
I read Nitin Gadkari claimed all toll plazas in NHs will be done away with in a couple of years. Currently we stop at the toll gate briefly for the RFID to be scanned. How will the toll be debited if toll plazas are dismantled and vehicles go at a good speed?
A global positioning system (GPS) toll collection system that will serve to enable smooth movement of vehicles across the country when we cross NHAI toll without tailgate.
Old 31st December 2020, 15:42   #5408
BHPian

Fastag deadline extension has become hilarious. If I am not mistaken, the FIRST deadline was 1st Dec 2019 and after 13 months of efforts we still need extensions - speaks volumes of our ability to plan and implement. We should take a realistic assessment of the situation on ground and move towards positive reinforcement to Fastag adopters to increase compliance rather than levy fines (which increase the tendency of rent seeking even by private toll contractors). Rightly pointed out on this thread that 100% of the vehicles do not need Fastag as they won't cross NH but if Fastag users are incentivised anyone driving on NH is sure to consider buying one for their vehicle. Also, systemic solutions might be needed for passenger and goods fleet operators.
pathik@2020 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 15:55   #5409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read Nitin Gadkari claimed all toll plazas in NHs will be done away with in a couple of years.
What is the use of FASTag then? Can we just wait out 2 years and enjoy toll free road?
Old 31st December 2020, 15:56   #5410
BHPian

have seen enough of people backing out of fastag lanes and creating a nuisance. Instead of charging double from these guys, they are allowed to go back.

What will be the procedure going forward?
lina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 16:43   #5411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What is the use of FASTag then? Can we just wait out 2 years and enjoy toll free road?
Who said it will be toll free? The question was what method they are going to employ for debit of toll amount from us, in the absence of toll booths.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 18:02   #5412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
What will be the procedure going forward?
From 1/1 (now changed to 15/2), if you have to cross a toll booth you need to (a) have a functional Fastag, or (b) pay double toll plus Rs. 500 (ish) for a new Fastag which will be issued to you there itself.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 22:50   #5413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
It is not 1000 or 2000 tags. The whole country has to be on fastags.
It is better to extend the deadlines another 6-7 times and cover 99% population rather than creating mess near every toll booth.
Exactly my point. When is the govt going to realize that our country is so vast that it requires a lot of planning to implement throughout the country. If they are not able to make everyone get one, they need to try a different strategy instead of just extending the deadline every few months. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets extended again in Feb.

Quote:
Secondly, if they enforce very strict adherence, who, do you think, would suffer?
The NHAI need to make buying Fastags easier in the first place. See, they are willing to charge double the amount for not having a Fastag but don't have the courtesy to give the users a chance to buy one then and there. I've been traveling over the last few days and I've tried to buy one at every toll booth between Chennai-Bangalore but no luck.

Quote:
But, it is not the unavailability of Fastag that is the issue today. It is the "why fastag for me" attitude.
I'll tell you why I haven't got them yet. My usage of the car had been always through roads which doesn't have NHAI toll collection points. Hence, I was not bothered about it until now when I had to travel somewhere else.

Quote:
Spending 500 rs for a piece of paper and usage of which is just 2-3 times in a year. Should I really invest is the question. And after some x years(i think it is 5years) it needs re-purchase.
Count me on this. I'm ready to buy one instantly but there is no option to do that. And now once this trip is over, I wouldn't be seeing NHAI toll point in that car anytime soon. My average usage would be less than once a year. Why would I buy a fastag for 500 bucks when I wouldn't be travelling again through the NHAI points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
From 1/1 (now changed to 15/2), if you have to cross a toll booth you need to (a) have a functional Fastag, or (b) pay double toll plus Rs. 500 (ish) for a new Fastag which will be issued to you there itself.
Been trying to get a new Fastag then and there itself but all toll plaza's are asking me to get it online.

Last edited by logicalidiot : 31st December 2020 at 22:51.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 00:14   #5414
BHPian

From what I can tell Govt can never shut down that single cash lane at each of the Toll booths thanks to that small statement that is written on legal tender in our country. "I promise to pay the bearer the sum of xxxx rupees".

It is essentially makes it a crime to not accept cash as a form of payment. It is a legal form of payment and has to be accepted at any place when offered for payment, otherwise the cash loses it's value as form of exchange of value if it is not accepted everywhere in the country.

So they can use all the scare tactics they want, but they legally can't close that last cash lane.
ChargedGarage is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 00:43   #5415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
Been trying to get a new Fastag then and there itself but all toll plaza's are asking me to get it online.
You may be aware but stating my experience. One can get a fasttag at many local stores that stock the paytm fasttags. You can find the nearest store using the app, visit the store and get it in a few minutes all activated and ready to be used. This is what i did for an urgent trip of mine. Very simple and easy process.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed