Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 08:27   #5266
Team-BHP Support

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Does anyone know how to change the email address on HDFC Fastag portal. I never got to pick the email address in the first place, it just pulled it from my netbanking account. Since then I have changed company, the netbanking account has a new email address. But the HDFC fastag portal steadfastly sticking to my old email. There is simply no way to change it.
Old 12th November 2020, 10:43   #5267
BHPian

I have a question, although it is not directly related to the thread header.

Is cash also getting accepted in a FASTag lane? In West Bengal, I see that most toll plazas are allowing both cash and FASTag in a FASTag lane.

But the cash only lane, accepts only cash staying true to its name.

I am not sure if it benefits me at all, if I use a FASTag - with respect to time.

What are your observations pan India?

I have raised the issue in PG portal, but apart from receiving few apologetic calls with future promises, nothing really got done!
Old 12th November 2020, 14:31   #5268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
Is cash also getting accepted in a FASTag lane? In West Bengal, I see that most toll plazas are allowing both cash and FASTag in a FASTag lane.

I am not sure if it benefits me at all, if I use a FASTag - with respect to time.
Cash is accepted in a FASTag Lane BUT At Double Rate of Actual Toll Charges.

Example-
Suppose the Actual Toll Charges at a particular Toll Plaza for your class of vehicle is Rs. 50/- (One Way) then you will be charged Rs. 50/- (One Way) if paid through
1. FASTag,
2. Cash in Only Cash Lane.

But if want to pay Cash in FASTag Lane, you will be charged Rs. 100/- (One Way)

Also if you Return through Same Toll Plaza within 24 Hours, if you have FASTag, only 50% of Actual Toll Charges get deducted from FASTag Balance for Return Journey. Whereas you have to manually take Return Journey Ticket if paid by Cash in Only Cash Lane.

This is one of the benefits that you don't have to remember if you have taken or have to take Return Journey Ticket in Advance.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 12th November 2020 at 14:33.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:47   #5269
BHPian

IN WB it is the regular toll that is taken in cash even if you are in a FASTag lane.
Old 12th November 2020, 22:12   #5270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
That rule is only on paper, almost no toll booths are implementing it, people freely enter fastag only lanes and pay cash, not the double. This is one of the major reason why we have long serpentine lines mostly on exit and entry of cities.
Old 12th November 2020, 22:25   #5271
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
But if want to pay Cash in FASTag Lane, you will be charged Rs. 100/- (One Way)
The double charge for those using Fastag lanes for cash was mentioned on the sign boards for more than 3-4 years but I hadn't heard of any first hand experience from someone, till last week. A friend's tag was blacklisted due to low balance and he paid double the fare in cash. This was at the Salem toll in the Bangalore-Coimbatore route.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 14:02   #5272
Senior - BHPian

Around 3,000 motorists have been charged double toll (Rs 7 lakh) on Mumbai-Pune expressway since November 1 for entering dedicated FASTag lanes either without the FASTag stickers or without any balance in their fastag accounts.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/79204539.cms
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:36   #5273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Around 3,000 motorists have been charged double toll (Rs 7 lakh) on Mumbai-Pune expressway since November 1 for entering dedicated FASTag lanes either without the FASTag stickers or without any balance in their fastag accounts.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/79204539.cms
Hope they implement this in other toll booths of the country also. Fastag has been a good idea with horrible implementation. Below are some of my observations

1. Scores of people enter Fastag only lane and pay cash delaying fastag users. Havent seen anyone collecting double toll also.

2. Most toll boths in Karnataka are not fully automated, still the toll booth operator sits and type something on the computer and then only gate opens. So implementation looks like semi-automatic in most lanes. There by wasting 20-30 secs, which should have taken less than 5 sec, if it was fully automated. Why does the operator have to sit and type in the computer if fastag is automated? There are serpentine Q in Bangalore entrance like Tumkur road, Nelmangala and Airport road toll plaza, i have seen operator sitting in every toll booth and typing something before fastag get recognized. Dont know whats wrong with this system.

3. Faulty sensors - looks likes most sensors can barely pickup fastag reading, have seen scores of trucks and cars moving forward and backward before the reader picks up. We just have 500+ toll plaza and govt could not implement world class fastag reader ? or the technology behind fastag is so primitive and outdated which is resulting in delay in tag recognition ?

4. Tags should have been universal and anybody could have charged the tag with any payment method. Why associate tags with banks? what has banks got to do with collecting tolls ? Its a Herculean task to recharge especially while travelling, most of the time you have to log into crappy bank website and recharge. Why cannot they have done it somethings like mobile recharge, any platform anywhere i could have recharged. It would have helped lorry drivers where they could have got the fastag recharged in mobile recharge shops across highways. This implementation with banks really restricts the usage of fastag.

5. Sometimes gets sms after a day of deductions, again technology looks so primitive.

Dont know who is the brain behind the technology of fastag, looks like half baked idea and not customer friendly.

Just my rant on fastag.

Last edited by shamanth : 13th November 2020 at 15:43.
Old 13th November 2020, 16:16   #5274
BHPian

Did a non stop Pune>Mumbai T2>Pune run yesterday.

Very happy to see fastag in use all the way at both Expressway tolls and also both sides of the Vashi bridge. The queues did move quite fast except for a few idiots who held everyone up as they were arguing about paying the double toll because they didn't have a fastag.

Found the fastag to be especially useful in Covid times as didn't have to open the window at all anywhere.

When it works, it works beautifully!
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 20:40   #5275
BHPian

My car dealer affixed the fastag on the left side of the windshield. Its an irritant at the toll plaza, as the reader is on the driver side.
Can I remove it and fix it to the right side, or shall that get damaged?
Old 14th November 2020, 00:26   #5276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
.Its an irritant at the toll plaza, as the reader is on the driver side
Will get damaged, might as well cancel it, destroy it and get another one. Same happened to me too and i have now made my new one portable. I stuck it on a transparent sheet of plastic and stuck it so that i can move it if having problems at tolls.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 23:10   #5277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
IN WB it is the regular toll that is taken in cash even if you are in a FASTag lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
That rule is only on paper, almost no toll booths are implementing it, people freely enter fastag only lanes and pay cash, not the double.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The double charge for those using Fastag lanes for cash was mentioned on the sign boards for more than 3-4 years but I hadn't heard of any first hand experience from someone, till last week.
During Jan or Feb this year, I had to use our father's friend's Alto which did not have FASTag.
I was in a hurry and did not have time to wait in Cash Only Lane for around 20-30 minutes. That time I had to use FASTag Lane (The FASTag Lanes at these Toll Plazas are 99.9% Empty) and I had to pay Rs. 120/- (One Way) in Cash whereas the Regular Toll Charge was Rs. 60/- (One Way). I got Toll Receipt of Rs. 120/- at these toll booths.
The Toll Booths are as below-

Sawaleshwar Toll Plaza
Shankar Nagar,Solapur -Pune NH 65 highway A/p-sawaleshwar, tal- Dist, Mohol, Maharashtra
085549 84009
https://maps.app.goo.gl/vdcKnxG36PUcfrEx8

And

Pune Solapur pkg II Toll Plaza
Solapur - Pune Hwy, Warawade, Maharashtra 413211
1800 11 6062
https://maps.app.goo.gl/mBE6rE7kDzq4aJ2YA
Old 15th November 2020, 14:16   #5278
BHPian

Drove from Mangalore to Mumbai in my Hexa on 8/11/20.

At Hirebagewadi Toll Plaza 95/- was deducted with no issues.

Last night during a trip via Bandra Worli Sea Link, the Tag read as blacklisted. I was surprised since there was supposed to be sufficient balance for the same.

Logged in, and to my horror 410/- was deducted in a single transaction towards Hirebagewadi Toll Plaza, on 11/11/20, with a note stating 'vehicle class mismatch, actual class is LCV'. This is in addition to the 95/- that was deducted. So in all, 505 bucks!

FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-fastagss.jpg

Contacted Union Bank, my fastag provider, and they said it's been deducted 'by default' !?!? They'd register a complain and a tech team would attend to it on a working day and then a refund should be processed. Hope things sort out smoothly.

Anyone else ever faced or heard about this before? There's nothing similar to this on Google. Some new tactic by toll plazas to scoop up some money? Or did I probably drive into a lane predominantly used by trucks and there was a in-line weigh and hence the vehicle mismatch? Considering our gross weight must have been north of 2.5 tons on that day.
Old 15th November 2020, 14:37   #5279
BHPian

Got this as a whatsapp forward.
Maybe belongs to the Joke thread.
He has fixed the fastag on the rear windshield!
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img20201115wa0053.jpg  

KA18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 16:45   #5280
BHPian

Travelled today from Thrissur to Bangalore.
All toll gate Fastag worked except Electronic city flyover one. By the time, I reached this toll, my balance was Rs. 176. The toll was Rs. 50 and it did not get honoured.
There is a minimum fastag balance of Rs. 150 to be maintained. Since, payment of this toll, the balance would have come down to 126. Is that is the reason, the tag did not read?
I thought the tag will work even within the safety balance of Rs. 150.

By the by, I'm having the Paytm fastag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks