Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2020, 15:24   #5191
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I wanted to change from ICICI to paytm fastag.
I got Paytm fastag. Any suggestion for removal of old fastag?

I searched YouTube but couldn't find any good video. All I know is it is going to be difficult. I don't want to allow someone to enter my car just to remove it.
Old 26th September 2020, 16:32   #5192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I got Paytm fastag. Any suggestion for removal of old fastag?

I searched YouTube but couldn't find any good video. All I know is it is going to be difficult. I don't want to allow someone to enter my car just to remove it.
Heat with a hair dryer and peel off. Clean later with a glass cleaner.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 17:16   #5193
Senior - BHPian

Fed up of HDFC Fast Tag.
They are unable to resolve a simple issue since the last three months where in the car chassis no. is displayed as the Registration no.

Due to this, am unable to recharge on the go from the Apps.
Could someone help with a senior person e mail ID that I could escalate.

I have send a mail to managingdirector@hdfcbank.com but its more of an automated reply after that.
Old 26th September 2020, 17:32   #5194
BHPian

My Toyota had a fastag fitted at dealer. I haven't been out of Goa for two years since I got this car. I checked online, and it says " vrn/tag not registered". What should I do?
Old 28th September 2020, 17:28   #5195
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally I got my Fasttag! I was keen on ICICI as I have an account and thought I'll get it from one of the toll plazas listed in the website (Sriperumbudur was the choice as I had planned a drive along the route). Some change in plans meant I couldn't go there and decided I'll purchase it online. Filled up the form on the website to see an error message at the end. Tried once more and same result.

Remembered some of the friends suggesting Paytm as only 150/- (minimum balance) is blocked in the card and fasttag keeps pulling in funds from account on need basis (at the tolls). Sounded good as the amount is not blocked on the card. Installed the app and purchased the card in 5-10 mins flat. ICICI can learn a thing or two from Paytm.

Placed the order on Sep 25 morning, courier pick up from Bangalore on 26 Sep and on Sep 27 evening, the fasttag is delivered at my door step @ Chennai. Seems mine probably is the fastest delivery in the friend circle.

Few questions as am reading the thread. Can we install this on drivers side? I see most suggest this on the centre of windshield. I have a Fiesta and it has a rain sensor taking considerable space in the centre of the windshield.

Also, anything to be taking note so I dont damage the tag? The gum seems to be at the rear of the tag.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th September 2020 at 17:31.
Old 2nd October 2020, 12:49   #5196
BHPian

I am new to Fastag so got a query. I recently purchased ICICI Fastag and there are two types of balances - Tag account balance and CUG Wallet balance. What is the difference between the two and in which of these should I keep the amount?
Old 2nd October 2020, 16:10   #5197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Few questions as am reading the thread. Can we install this on drivers side? I see most suggest this on the centre of windshield. I have a Fiesta and it has a rain sensor taking considerable space in the centre of the windshield.

Also, anything to be taking note so I dont damage the tag? The gum seems to be at the rear of the tag.
You can install it on the driver side. Even i have done the same & haven't faced any issues till date.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-whatsapp-image-20201002-16.08.27.jpeg  

Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2020, 21:37   #5198
BHPian

I've Airtel Fiber connection which is also offering Fastag with 150/- cashback (One Time). Should I get this Fastag. Anybody has experience with Airtel Fastag ?
Old 4th October 2020, 00:17   #5199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have my FASTag on top left corner of the windshield (passenger side), working fine for three years now.

Quote:
I had used a transparent OHP sheet portion and pasted the FASTag on it. Then used transparent adhesive tape to put it on the windshield. It can be easily relocated or removed
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 00:41   #5200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Minimum balance is just to ensure that most of the tollbooths can be passed without your balance being insufficient. In your case, since the toll you pass through is 20 rupees, you will find the 100 rupee balance absurd. But if the same toll was 85-90 rupees, wouldnt that sound correct to have a 100 rupee balance? Unfortunately the Fastag system does not have the intelligence to understand what the typical usage conditions of individual customers are and then adopt varied minimum balance for different users.
How so.
I have a post usage debit tag with 0 balance. Some times toll operators try to act funny saying no balance but then they get the charge.
I have to log in to phone banking and approve or disapprove by 6.00 Pm, or it is auto approved and debited. It has been used a bit over 300 times in last 10 months with 0 usage in April and first half of May.

Rahul
Old 4th October 2020, 10:28   #5201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
I've disliked FASTags primarily because it has been forced upon the people. Especially considering so many unnecessary (and unclear) KYC requirements makes me feel it's more oriented towards a mass surveillance system than an easy payments system.
Fastags were first introduced in 2014 or so. In its first few years it did achieve some adoption (including by many on this thread). The "forced upon people" part came only towards end of 2017. Which is how policy interventions should be - incentivising usage in early years, and after achieving a certain minimum traction disincentivising alternatives.

As for KYC - it needs your vehicle ownership document and ID proof. Why is that such a big problem?

Anything digital is also a surveillance system. I too was in the same bandwagon as you (and hence, delayed MY OWN fastag adoption for a long time). But once I started thinking about it - that India has approx. 22 Crore registered motor vehicles, of which 17 Crore are two-wheelers - Fastag seemed a very expensive way of surveilling the remaining 5 Crore vehicles, or about ~4% of India's population if we assume each of those vehicles is driven by a separate individual.

On the other hand, after I got my Fastags for my cars I noticed a time savings of between 45 mins-1 hour in my (then) frequent Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore drives.

Quote:
the requirement to maintain a minimum balance is just absurd.
This has been explained multiple times in this thread. The tag authentication happens at the NPCI end to which each toll booth/lane has a direct line. The tag authorisation and balance deduction happens at the issuing bank's end of which there are several, with application and deployment architectures determined by those banks' IT policies. NPCI has control over the former and hence it is mandated to be done in real time. They can't mandate the latter without seriously compromising the benefits of Fastag, so they instead have only said that it is up to the banks to make sure that each vehicle has enough balance to pass through the NEXT toll booth after deducting the CURRENT one's toll.

Quote:
As a side note, is anyone aware as to the legal sanctity of the fastag mandate? I don't think it's statutorily backed; but if someone here has access to the relevant notification/order, that would be helpful.
This is the primary law that authorises government to collect toll: https://indiankanoon.org/doc/1134554/

The rules for toll collection are specified here: https://indiankanoon.org/doc/162360606/

These rules were amended in 2014 to include the concept of Fastag: http://tis.nhai.gov.in/Admin/Miscell...PM23_65881.pdf - also includes the double penalty for not using Fastag.

Quote:
What if I simply discard the SBI fastag, and get a new, fresh one (writing off whatever measly balance I have in SBI)? Would that create any problems?
I have two Fastags for one of my cars; one from HDFC Bank that is still in its original unopened package for the past 3 years. No problem at all. If you paste multiple tags to your windshield all of them might get deducted, that has happened to people.

Quote:
I'd be happy to hear what other members think about this (and my GOD, I hope everything I said is incorrect and the world is a better place in fact).
All questions repeatedly discussed here. After all this is a 4 year old thread with ~350 pages of posts.
Old 4th October 2020, 12:47   #5202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I have my FASTag on top left corner of the windshield (passenger side), working fine for three years now.
Can you post a picture on this thread ?
Old 4th October 2020, 13:28   #5203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Fastag has been started at Vashi toll plaza in Navi Mumbai. Good news for people travelling to and from Mumbai to Pune and beyond. I guess other toll nakas of Mumbai will also follow suite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Vashi Toll Naka is currently Fastag enabled at the right most lanes (2 nos) while going into and returning from Mumbai. Experienced this in the morning and thought I should share here. Hope Airoli, Mulund & Dahisar Tolls are also Fastag enabled.
I regularly cross Airoli toll and Mulund toll. Operators there keep on extending the start date for enabling NHAI Fastag. When I read your posts here about Vashi toll, I had enquired with Airoli the same day and was told that it will start from October 1st with the revised rates coming into effect ( 40 for car now vs earlier 35 ). However, yesterday they mentioned that its postponed to October 15th. Lets see.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 14:06   #5204
BHPian

I also spoke to the MEPL toll in Dahisar. They said work has started and should be implemented by Diwali.
manas27587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 15:56   #5205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_lone View Post
I've Airtel Fiber connection which is also offering Fastag with 150/- cashback (One Time). Should I get this Fastag. Anybody has experience with Airtel Fastag ?
I applied for Airtel fastag too and there was no response from them for almost 25 days. I will advise you to stay away from it. Also, read my post number 5159.

I have got my full refund now (after so many follow ups) and got the Paytm fastag.

Most Viewed