Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:24   #5386
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
A senior citizen relative of mine uses a feature phone ie a dumb phone. She has to enroll for FasTag because its being made mandatory.

How can I facilitate? Can I apply for a FasTag on get 8 behalf from my paytm account?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Yes, PayTm FasTag is best option to manage payments, but I would suggest you to buy from nearest NHAI Toll center instead applying through PayTM app.
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:53   #5387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
This Tuesday (15th Dec) I was coming back from Pune and at Talegaon plaza the overhead scanner refused to scan the tag. So the guy scanned it with some kind of handheld scanner
I had called customer care for the first incident who assured me that I need not worry and if tag not getting scanned even if having balance then it is the machinery fault.
Did anybody else face such kind of incident? Is there something I can do from my side to correct this because it feels really sad to pay less toll than others.
You must be kidding right, who doesn't like to pay less toll

But yes, it defeats the whole purpose of having a fastag and gests frustrating when the tag doesn't get read and you have to do a forward and backward dance till the toll booth attendent decides it is worty enough task to bring out the handheld scanner.

The ICICI tag I got from the showroom with my new car had this issue. Only 1% of the time it used to get read by the overhead scanner. 90% of the time, the handheld scanner would work, but like you said, toll dedudction was not consistant. Got a replacement tag (from ICICI itself) which solved the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
PLEASE DONT BUY ICICI FASTAGS EVEN THOUGHT THEY MIGHT BE GIVING THE BEST DEALS.
Sorry for your experience, but it has been absolutely smooth sailing using ICICI fastags for me. I have been using ICICI fastags from the very beginning for my older car and the only issue I faced to date was the case I had mentioned above about the damaged tag given by the showroom. Yes, the customer care is practically useless, and I had to visit an agent to get the replacement tag but from the usage POV, it has been seamless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
A senior citizen relative of mine uses a feature phone ie a dumb phone. She has to enroll for FasTag because its being made mandatory.

How can I facilitate? Can I apply for a FasTag on get 8 behalf from my paytm account?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Why can't you just visit any nearby tollbooth or an agent and get a tag of one of the banks? There is no need to use a smartphone or app. Recharge can be through the web portal.
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:05   #5388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadixLecti View Post
Here are two pictures of how I've mounted my tag. I apologise for the picture quality, my basement carpark is poorly lit.

This is the location of the tag. Lower right corner when seen from inside (i.e. lower corner, driver's side).
Attachment 2096262

This is how I've attached it. I did not peel off the protective film from the RFID side (it was thin, transparent plastic in my case). I have just stuck it reasonably neatly using two strips of sellotape.
Attachment 2096263

The initial reason for doing it this way was so that I could easily change the location if necessary, but I've not found any reason to change it.
Neat solution but in my case with the new tag the RFID side is completely sealed. New packaging perhaps! Nonetheless, thank you for this.

Update: Filed complaint against both ICICI and NETC on PGPortal. Lets see how this goes!

Last edited by coolmel : 23rd December 2020 at 17:30.
Old 23rd December 2020, 21:52   #5389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Neat solution but in my case with the new tag the RFID side is completely sealed. New packaging perhaps! Nonetheless, thank you for this.
The side doesn't matter for RFID. I have stuck my tag using cello tape without removing the opaque baking, with the opaque side inside.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 22:57   #5390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
But yes, it defeats the whole purpose of having a fastag and gets frustrating when the tag doesn't get read and you have to do a forward and backward dance till the toll booth attendant decides it is worthy enough task to bring out the handheld scanner.
I doubt multiple RFIDs confuse FASTag scanners. I have three RFIDs on my windshield - FASTag (top left), manufacturer RFID (centre) and my office RFID (top right). Overhead scanners always take some time to read the FASTag and sometimes fail to read, but I have seen instant response on handheld scanners probably because of a targeted scan.
Old 26th December 2020, 11:30   #5391
Senior - BHPian

For the first time, the toll collection through FASTag crossed Rs 80 crores per day on December 24, 2020, with a record of 50 lakh FASTag transactions per day.

With more than 2.20 crore FASTag issued till date, adoption of FASTag by highway users has seen unprecedented growth.

Quote:
With FASTag being mandatory for vehicles from January 1, 2021, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has made all necessary arrangements to provide seamless movement of vehicles at fee plazas. Adoption of FASTag has helped highway travellers to save time and fuel at the toll plazas," an official stated.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 18:34   #5392
BHPian

Now You can buy / link your FASTag account to ICICI & HDFC bank account with Google Pay (GPAY)
https://support.google.com/pay/india...85583?hl=en-GB
Old 28th December 2020, 21:21   #5393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMBLR View Post
Now You can buy / link your FASTag account to ICICI & HDFC bank account with Google Pay (GPAY)
I have seen Amazon Pay UPI works the quickest for HDFC FASTag recharges, nearly instant. I have done through BHIM, GPAY and JIO UPI as well and they take little longer.
Old 28th December 2020, 22:17   #5394
Senior - BHPian

NHAI said it has updated the FASTag app to add a new feature to provide balance status to users.

With FASTag becoming mandatory on toll plazas from 1st January 2021 and to ensure its smooth implementation, NHAI has updated its Mobile App My FASTag App with a new feature to Check Balance Status by simply entering the vehicle number, NHAI said in a statement.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 28th December 2020 at 22:18.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 23:48   #5395
Senior - BHPian

I have a PayTm Fastag which worked very well, but I have not hit the highway since March. Can I continue with the same one from Jan 1st or any tweaking/extra feature is required?
Old 29th December 2020, 07:40   #5396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can I continue with the same one from Jan 1st or any tweaking/extra feature is required?
Existing one will work perfectly fine.

Those who don't have it are being pushed to shift to pay through Fastag instead of paying cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMBLR View Post
https://support.google.com/pay/india...85583?hl=en-GB
All i could find was Gpay tied up with ICICI Bank for Fastag couldn't find HDFC Bank though - Source

However the ICICI Bank Fastag under business in GPay never worked for me. Always says this option is currently unavailable. I had to directly make payments using UPI id of my tag. That works perfectly fine for me whichever app i use.

Last edited by nick.cs : 29th December 2020 at 07:52.
Old 29th December 2020, 08:36   #5397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
By the way, I would advise removing all unused RFID tags fitted on your car including the dormant factory-fitted RFIDs or unused car park boom barrier tags etc.

Multiple tags increase FASTag response times as the FASTag reader RF waves will energize all RF tags within range, and then 'listen' for the correct encrypted response. Better to remove the unused ones with the advantage of also cleaning up the windshield!
Quoting my own post, I would recommend removing unused tags especially the manufacturer-provided one. That one is totally useless.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:05   #5398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have a PayTm Fastag which worked very well, but I have not hit the highway since March. Can I continue with the same one from Jan 1st or any tweaking/extra feature is required?
No issues. Tags don't expire or don't deactivate themselves due to inactivity.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:37   #5399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
No issues. Tags don't expire or don't deactivate themselves due to inactivity.
To be doubly sure, please confirm the tag status in your Paytm app.

From their FAQs below:

Kindly ensure the following:
You have an active tag - you can check it under the "Manage Tags" section in your FASTag sub-wallet.
You have a sufficient amount (at least 150 for Car/Jeep/Van) in your Paytm/FASTag wallet.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th December 2020 at 10:55. Reason: Typo
Old 29th December 2020, 10:23   #5400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
With FASTag becoming mandatory on toll plazas from 1st January 2021 and to ensure its smooth implementation, NHAI has updated its Mobile App My FASTag App with a new feature to Check Balance Status by simply entering the vehicle number, NHAI said in a statement.
I decided to checkout this app but it's a disaster on iOS. Looks like the app was released just for the sake of it by NHAI. Most of the features do not work and the UI is a complete mess (eg: White back button on a white background ). Looks like they don't have a Quality Assurance team and developers just push the code directly into Production where the end consumers can act as testers. Even school kids would have implemented a better app. The App Store is flooded with 1* ratings.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 29th December 2020 at 10:28.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks