Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 06:22   #3841
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
That's what I meant. It's optional meaning you opt for it on paying them INR 600/-.
It is optional, I bought a new car last month and it came without a Fastag ( I think the dealers were/are removing all the optional items to make the prices attractive). Was busy with few things, hence didn't pay attention to it (got one from icici now).
Old 25th November 2019, 06:29   #3842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
That's what I meant. It's optional meaning you opt for it on paying them INR 600/-.

None of the dealers (4 nos.) I have spoken to have said it is mandatory. Not sure what's going on here. We bought 3 cars from 2 of those dealers (one skoda and 2 Hyundai's) recently.
Also, how can something which is priced more at dealerships be mandatory than for what it is available for outside (INR 400 in Paytm).
Since December 1 2017 it is mandatory for dealers to deliver a new car with a fastag. The tag itself is not optional even though you pay for it. The only option you have is the tag company (ICICI, PAYTM, HDFC etc...) Strange that 4 dealers have told that it is not mandatory.

It is not the price that is important but the balance that is important. 400 is the minimum cost (200 for tag and 200 safety Deposit) and anything additional that you pay should come as the balance in the tag.
If you buy it for 400...balance in tag will be zero
If you buy it for 600...balance in tag should be 200
If you buy it for 800...balance in tag should be 400
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 08:27   #3843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Since December 1 2017 it is mandatory for dealers to deliver a new car with a fastag. The tag itself is not optional even though you pay for it. The only option you have is the tag company (ICICI, PAYTM, HDFC etc...) Strange that 4 dealers have told that it is not mandatory.

It is not the price that is important but the balance that is important. 400 is the minimum cost (200 for tag and 200 safety Deposit) and anything additional that you pay should come as the balance in the tag.
If you buy it for 400...balance in tag will be zero
If you buy it for 600...balance in tag should be 200
If you buy it for 800...balance in tag should be 400
If dealers are still not selling fastags with new car that is quite odd. I bought Ertiga in Oct 2016 and it was not even mentioned (was not a mandate then). However when I bought my Tiago in May 2019, dealer clearly asked to pay Rs. 600 for fastag. I did not argue and paid it. Is it like optional in a sense that you will not take your car on NH? In that case it makes sense not having a fastag.
I bought one for my Ertiga from Pratham Motors, a Maruti dealer in Bangalore (Axis Bank) over last weekend. They charged Rs. 500 but I am seeing balance of Rs. 200 in account. Does it vary from bank to bank?

Last edited by rajivtelang : 25th November 2019 at 08:29.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 09:22   #3844
Senior - BHPian

Dear all
Since it is a mandate from Govt to have fastag on all the vehicles, I had to purchase the fastag for my cars. I have purchased it from Kotak yesterday by paying 400. Now, I have below queries

1. After entering all the details for my first car, I got an email on order confirmation. But, there is no mention of when I would get the fast tag. What is the next step that I should do now?

When can I expect the fastag to be delivered to me? Please let me know
Old 25th November 2019, 09:38   #3845
BHPian

Anyone here purchased and registered tags on company leased cars? Can I register to my home address though the RC states the office address?
Old 25th November 2019, 09:42   #3846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Does it vary from bank to bank?
Yes, The actual tag issuing charges are defined by the bank and may vary from bank to bank. As per National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), FASTag issuing bank can charge a maximum of Rs 100 for each tag.

As per the latest information on ICICI website, they are selling FASTag for car at ₹499.12. This includes ₹99.12 (including GST) Tag issuance fee and ₹200 Refundable Security Deposit. The remaining ₹200 will go in to the tag balance
Old 25th November 2019, 09:58   #3847
BHPian

I have an unique question regarding fastag.

What if a vehicle with insufficient fastag balance approaches the fastag lane and is not allowed to cross the toll? Should all other vehicles in the queue behind this vehicle unnecessarily wait because of this irresponsible driver who couldn't maintain minimum balance in spite of repeated SMS alerts? Assume it is not an hybrid lane so only fastag is allowed. What happens next?

In India this kind of incidents are very common. I am not a fastag user so far, but I have just placed an order on Paytm for the one. So, I am curious what would happen in the situation I mentioned above.
Old 25th November 2019, 10:46   #3848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Road_Rover View Post
What if a vehicle with insufficient fastag balance approaches the fastag lane and is not allowed to cross the toll? Should all other vehicles in the queue behind this vehicle unnecessarily wait because of this irresponsible driver who couldn't maintain minimum balance in spite of repeated SMS alerts? Assume it is not an hybrid lane so only fastag is allowed. What happens next?
The tag will show as blacklisted and boom barrier won't open.

Until now, cash toll is collected in the dedicated Fastag lane. Possibly from December 1st, double toll shall be collected.

Some tolls have double boom barrier, where the detection point is ahead of the first and both booms open, otherwise you have to take the 'escape' road ahead of the first boom to the next lane. Space constrained/High traffic tolls don't have these 'luxury'.

Additionally, even if you recharge right after. It takes 30-45 minutes for it to work. So if you cross the next toll within half hour, very likely that'll show as blacklisted as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
3. What if there is balance but scanners failed (Open the gate, I have balance)
Hand scanners

Quote:
4. What if the scanner is OK but toll person is dumb enough saying you need to pay by cash since his system fails to acknowledge the deduction and ultimately you are doubled charged (Stop past the toll booth and go back for refund by showing the SMS?)
5. What if you do not get SMS alerts, especially weekday evenings when network is super clogged (Guess how much I am charged?)
Raise a dispute with the transaction and receipt. Parag had written about this couple of pages back. Here it is (FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!) (another incident with audioholic on same page)

Last edited by narayans80 : 25th November 2019 at 11:01.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:49   #3849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had exactly same question in my mind and still feel that we are not yet matured enough for such automation but we have to start at some point. It is going to be a nightmare with this scenario. I have seen real fights at toll booths between truck drivers and toll collection staff based on some disputed amounts charged. And it was pre-fast tag days.

Here we are talking about some simple and complex scenarios.
1. What if there is no fast tag on vehicle even if government has mandated (easy to say you pay double but imagine the time in arguments between two parties)
2. What if there is no balance (oops!, I forgot)
3. What if there is balance but scanners failed (Open the gate, I have balance)
4. What if the scanner is OK but toll person is dumb enough saying you need to pay by cash since his system fails to acknowledge the deduction and ultimately you are doubled charged (Stop past the toll booth and go back for refund by showing the SMS?)
5. What if you do not get SMS alerts, especially weekday evenings when network is super clogged (Guess how much I am charged?)
6. And many more yet to be thought of as time comes

In any case be prepared for longer lines at toll booths for initial few months

I have taken Axis Bank fast tag for my Ertiga. Does anybody know most reliable way to recharge? Their website is horrible and the page with recharge button appears for a second and vanishes on browser (both IE and Chrome). Some Quora postings suggested doing NEFT by adding your wallet ID as account number and given the IFSC code. It worked for me but still I cannot use the more generic way of using their web site. Does anybody have a better solution for this?

Last edited by rajivtelang : 25th November 2019 at 10:55.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 10:59   #3850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have an unique question regarding fastag.

In India this kind of incidents are very common. I am not a fastag user so far, but I have just placed an order on Paytm for the one. So, I am curious what would happen in the situation I mentioned above.
Ideally, a automatic fine should get levied and further legal action taken. But in India implementation is too bad.
Old 25th November 2019, 13:59   #3851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am thinking of people who just got their tag in the last week or so. Those times will be more realistic.
I raised the request in current month on 8th evening (friday), it was acknowledged, ID was created & dispatched on 12th (tuesday) and was delivered by Bluedart on 15thh (Friday).

Quite fast. Since it was nearing the deadline, I expected it to take much longer.

EDIT:
Anyone has any idea whom/where to raise an issue if one is unable to recharge via UPI? I am not as much worried about the 100 that I probably lost, but for future ease, UPI seems to be the fastest way to recharge.
I face this issue with an HDFC fasTag

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 25th November 2019 at 14:09.
Old 25th November 2019, 14:14   #3852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I raised the request in current month on 8th evening (friday), it was acknowledged, ID was created & dispatched on 12th (tuesday) and was delivered by Bluedart on 15thh (Friday).

Quite fast. Since it was nearing the deadline, I expected it to take much longer.

EDIT:
Anyone has any idea whom/where to raise an issue if one is unable to recharge via UPI? I am not as much worried about the 100 that I probably lost, but for future ease, UPI seems to be the fastest way to recharge.
Try with credit card. I found it more convenient. This entire fastag business seems to have slowed down the channels recommended to recharge. For now try with older more reliable channels for next few months until the turmoil is settled.
Old 25th November 2019, 14:14   #3853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Login to your Bank's UPI login, and raise a dispute against the transaction. It will take around 15 days or so, but the money will return to your account.

How do I know this - I faced the same with my FasTag, and followed the process. Took 15 days but the money was refunded for sure.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 14:19   #3854
BHPian

People staying close to toll gates are currently exempted from paying.(by showing adhar card i.e address proof)

Is there a way add exception by default in fasttag?
Old 25th November 2019, 14:49   #3855
BHPian

The only problem i have with this fastag business is why do we have to do a KYC to get a tag. It is only a prepaid mechanism. Why can't we just pick up any fastag from a retail PoS and recharge it using any mechanism.

Why do we need to give photo, RC, License copy, ID etc.? This can lead to massive privacy issues. Government and its agencies can track all movement patterns. Especially for political espionage.

MoRTH has already sold our Vehicle registration data to 3rd parties for marketing and other purposes.

They might sell the fastag data also. We cross a toll plaza, and get marketing messages for the food joints along the way.

And we all know how secure all this data is with the government, which uses 14 feet high walls to protect the data.

The aadhaar data that i have given for linking my LPG cylinder account subsidy, along with the bank account number for transfer of subsidy, is now in the hands of hackers and phishers. I keep receiving calls, where the caller has my LPG, Aadhaar and bank account details, and they try to extract ATM number and pin, saying that gas connection would be cancelled if we don't update this data with them.

Such scams will happen more and more, with fastag data being linked to your KYC and either sold or kept in an unsecure fashion.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks