Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2024, 16:43   #136
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
[i]The original Tata Estate
OT, but that is a Mercedes S123 (T-Modell/Estate version of the W123).
ashivas89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 17:41   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
And here is how the bridge looks like at dawn. Clicked these pics at 6.45 am. No filter.

Attachment 2558628

Attachment 2558629
This pics definitely gives vibes of SFO landing in evening .
All pictures are really amazing. Will be interesting to see how intersections are able to handle pick hour traffic. Hope for the best.
VaibhaoT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 20:26   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

If you see the road in detail, it shows it completes the eway till Panvel exit and then goes to MTHL, in which case you are paying Rs 320 for eway and then another 250 for MTHL.
I have three successive airport pick and drop trips in Feb. I am planning to take the MTHL. For this i presume i need to take the Panvel exit --> JNPT--> Chirle Interchange --> Sewri Interchange if I am not wrong?
Old 16th January 2024, 04:48   #139
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Discussion going off-topic. Please stick to the original topic of the thread - the bridge. Any more posts on law-breakers will be deleted.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 09:20   #140

We were just casually zooming by, on the new, one and only, Trans Harbour Link, When I saw something that made me laugh!

An ambulance had stopped midway driving, (Near the emergency stop) and two guys jumped out of it and started to click pictures!
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img20240114wa0039.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-20240114_084735.jpg

But overall,
The New Trans Harbour Link is awesome!
it goes uphill, Downhill, loops here and there. It's an absolute joy to ride around in, (From the backseat)

Over out,
Myra
Ms. Tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 09:57   #141
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No more off-topic posts about people stopping on the thread please. Let's instead talk about the driving experiences, conveniences, pros & cons, the marvel of engineering that the link is etc.

Thanks for the support & understanding
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 10:32   #142
BHPian

I finally had my first drive of the MTHL this morning from the Ulwe / Navi Mumbai side towards Mumbai / Sewri. There was very little traffic, so it felt like I had the bridge to myself!

Rolled down the front windows, turned off the AC and cruised at a leisurely 60 kph in the left most lane. Since the bridge is on the sea, there is a healthy amount of cross wind.

The experience was almost meditative as the bridge seems to go on an on. I did observe situations on the bridge that we aren't focusing on in this thread as pointed out by the mods, so not going to talk about those.

The Sewri interchange looks like something straight out of LA with a gazillion on and off ramps. The quality of the road / bitumen is one of the best I have driven on.

It's left a lot of pride in my heart that India is able to construct such a bridge on par with some of the best in the world. Yes, a signature architectural (like cable stayed / etc) feature would have been nice, but I support the decision not to proceed in order to protect the interests of the migratory flamingoes.

Tip: Try it on a weekday, to avoid the joy riders. The view, while travelling from Navi Mumbai -> Mumbai side is better (as there are fewer view barriers than on the other side).

Last edited by Virtualaman : 16th January 2024 at 10:39.
Virtualaman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 19:35   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I have three successive airport pick and drop trips in Feb. I am planning to take the MTHL. For this I presume i need to take the Panvel exit --> JNPT--> Chirle Interchange --> Sewri Interchange if I am not wrong?
I have no idea sir. Anyone on our forum who has done Pune-Mumbai using MTHL can shed some light here. As per route on gmaps it looks like we are paying 320 + 250 in total. (While gmaps itself says the toll is 320, maybe it’s not calculating MTHL toll right now).

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th January 2024 at 18:08. Reason: Clean up edits. Please proof read your posts before submitting. Thank you.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 08:27   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea sir, anyone on our forum who has done Pune-Mumbai using MTHL can shed some light here. As per route on gmaps it looks like we are paying 320 + 250 in total.( while gmaps itself says the toll is 320, maybe its not calculating MTHL toll right now )
I am actually fine with paying the toll instead of enduring the traffic from Vashi Toll till BKC from where I can enter western express way. The return is even more frustrating, especially the turn from eastern expressway to Mankhurd.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th January 2024 at 18:07. Reason: i —> I
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 14:52   #145
BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea sir, anyone on our forum who has done Pune-Mumbai using MTHL can shed some light here. As per route on gmaps it looks like we are paying 320 + 250 in total.( while gmaps itself says the toll is 320, maybe its not calculating MTHL toll right now )
Yes thats correct. Its 240 + 80 for both tolls on expressway and 250 for the MTHL, vs additional 45 for Bombay Exit. Google Maps has not yet factored in the updated costs.

Anyway Apple maps was also showing the bridge, on / around the time Google did.

Looking forward to the drive this weekend.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th January 2024 at 18:06. Reason: Spacing, caps where needed. Please do proof read your posts before submitting. Thank you.
Old 18th January 2024, 09:59   #146
Senior - BHPian

Building the MTHL

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-screenshot_20240118095927_youtube.jpg

Old 18th January 2024, 10:55   #147
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I Have made two return trips on the Mumbai Trans Harbour Link Bridge.

Been in the Day, Evening and Night.

My observations:

1) Smooth Tarmac
2) 100Kmph is sufficient.

But,

Crazy traffic and crazy Indians. People parked on the side of roads. Double parked, leaving just 1.5 lanes for traffic to go through at places. Hence Dangerous.

I believe this all will end in about 2 weeks.

But further:

There were people driving at 60 in the first lane. Kids and adults hanging out of the sunroof and windows.

This won't change unless strict action is taken.

I came from Thane, picked up people from Mulund and this was just a joy ride as it doesn't reduce the time taken for me reach any location in New Bombay, by taking this link. There may be the indirect benefit of reduced traffic on my existing routes in time if more people in South Bombay use this route.

A friend from Chembur infact shared a snap showing that the Trans Harbour Link was taking him more time to Kalamboli than the Vashi Bridge. Maybe it was due to reduced normal traffic on Sunday on regular route and Extra Tourists on the New Route.

Cruise control at 105kmph is the way to drive here, but that is if the first two lanes are at this kind of speed.

At the New Bombay side the last two exists that are just 100ft appart are easy to get messed up and get you to take a longer route to the destination on reaching.

Similarly on the Freeway side the exits are named a bit confusingly, am sure many first timers going toward the suburbs may select the wrong exit.

The freeway exit ramp speed limit of 40kmph feels like a walk, it should be increased to 60kmph.

The freeway with just 2 lanes frequently gets a mini traffic jam now a days if there is any work being carried out or if there is a breakdown.

I regularly see two wheelers on the freeway and they should be very heavily fined as this is too risky.

No doubt a good addition to Bombay Infrastructure.

Last edited by ACM : 18th January 2024 at 11:01.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 14:40   #148
Senior - BHPian

This is what the GMap showed me yesterday afternoon. Didn't make sense to pay Rs 250 and just save 8 minutes. Took the normal Vashi toll route and reached precisely in an hour as per the maps.

So i guess it depends which part of the city (Mumbai and Navi Mumbai) one has to commute and the time of the day, accordingly one can plan and save Time or Money.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-gdy7wqtwgaaue2f.jpg  

Old 19th January 2024, 10:08   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Official reports state 2023 as the year of completion. Not sure if we can stick to it going by our past timelines .
I'm so glad that the agencies stuck to their timelines. I had the opportunity to drive on the MTHL yesterday. Pune to Bombay Central and then Mumbai airport to Pune.

Both times, Google maps suggested hopping on the trans harbour link and it was well worth it. Took 2 hrs and 45 mins from Pune to Bombay Central. Started at 3:00pm from Pune and reached at 5:45pm sharp.

Airport to Pune was an almost midnight drive. Started at 10:45pm and was home at 1:15am. Google maps showed a 45min delay on the expressway ghat section. Diverted to the old ghat and saved 45 minutes.

The surface, finishing and convenience of the MTHL is unmatched. The toll charges are appropriate and helpful to recover the near $2billion dollar expense to put the bridge together.

Many folks from the ministry and media had claimed that we can zoom past the toll booths at 100kmph without having to stop. No one mentioned that there are speed breakers before the toll booth and you are forced to drop speeds to 10-20kmph while passing the toll booth.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd January 2024 at 12:46.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 11:21   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Airport to Pune was an almost midnight drive. Started at 10:45pm and was home at 1:15am. Google maps showed a 45min delay on the expressway ghat section. Diverted to the old ghat and saved 45 minutes.

How did you connect to the MTHL from Andheri? (airport) Did you drive to Bandra then the Sea Link to Worli followed by the Eastern Freeway?

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd January 2024 at 12:46. Reason: Editing quoted post to reflect am.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks