View Poll Results: What do you think of the Toll Charges? Rs. 250 one way
Too High 215 61.25%
Too Low 6 1.71%
Right amount 130 37.04%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2024, 16:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) set to open on January 12 | Toll: Rs. 250 one way

Ok. Sigh! I hope I am able to put across the issue correctly - though it is a very long post.

Every Sunday, we travel to Panvel and it entails an early morning drive - have to reach a location at Panvel before 7 am. The early morning drive on Sion-Panvel Highway from Dadar, isn't much of a hassle. The coming back drive, though on the same route is a real pain in the behind - the return journey is anytime between 11am - 2 pm
So I was overjoyed at the prospect of this bridge, more so since the exit is near Sewri, pretty close to Dadar, where I stay. But then came the killjoy moment - the one way toll of Rs. 250/-
And thus, started my devious strategy to come up with a possible mathematical equation or some sordid logic where in I am able to convince the missus that ‘taking the bridge one way at least is beneficial’
You see, the other half is also an engineer and she understands numbers and logic equally well. And I dare not take the bridge without her being on the same page or else the entire journey will have to hear her constant murmurs and sighs of how much extra we are spending.

So here are the metrics while coming back.
I take the Sion Panvel Highway till Chembur, post which I divert on to the Eastern Expressway.
The drive back is 42 kms - door to door - taking about 1h 10 minutes on an average. The top speed every now and then is 70-80 km/h where as the average speed sinks to about 29-32 km/h. The idle time is somewhere close to 8-10 mins. (All data has been culled out from Bluelink App)

The average my vehicle gives me is about 20 km/l

I had read somewhere in one of the forums that the ideal sweet spot in terms of vehicle speed to get optimum fuel saving is in between 60-100 km/h. It was just a mention - no logic or reasons given. Though intuitively one would tend to believe that is the case - highest gear, clear and open road, reduced usage of clutch and minimum stop-start.

Moreover I have also roughly calculated the total distance from the location I am at Panvel to Home, if I take the MTHL. It is around 48-50 kms. Sadly, the entry point at JNPT Road (Chirle Interchange) is about 16-17 kms from Panvel. The bridge is about 22 kms and from Sewri Interchange to Home is another 10 kms or so. i.e. a sum total of a 48-50 kms

The speed on JNPT Road (I have driven on this) and MTHL could be somewhere close to 80-100 km/h. So the average speed for the entire journey back will be close to the sweet spot - thus increasing the chances of fuel saving.

So, keeping in mind one pays 205 extra (minus the 45 at Vashil Toll) to take the MTHL and all of the data above, is there any way of coming up with an amount in hard-cash saved that I can use to coax the missus? Just was looking to throw a number at her, thus getting her to ponder over it and not grumble her way in to my irritation.
Also, something that I thought I can bandy about as a rationale to take the MTHL, though intuitively I feel there is going to be some fuel saving and not to mention the relaxed drive with less usage of clutch.

On a serious note:
How does one come up with the amount of Rs. 250 for one way toll? Surely some study should have been carried out to check what is the optimum amount saved (in terms of fuel) for taking the MTHL.

No doubt there is going to be time saved, but is there saving of fuel as well!!
How much fuel ( and money) would be saved if one chooses to take the MTHL and not the Sion-Panvel Highway? One data point that was herded around was that the fuel saving is around 6-7 litres (one of the Ministers had said it). How so? How did one come up with that number? Any study, reasons or logic behind it?

Shouldn't the general public be apprised of the rationale and the reasons thereof of the amount of fuel saving if one takes the MTHL and thus spending those 205 extra being worth it?

Moreover, the state is looking to develop Ulwe, NAINA region where the new airport is coming up in a big way. The authorities have been gung-ho about the residential markets of Ulwe, NAINA and the viability of New Mumbai Airport and the lynchpin of the above development is MTHL. Barring the direct access provided by MTHL to these markets, the other options or way too wieldy and time intensive. A metro is proposed between the two airports but this will take another 4-5 years to see light of the day.

So surely, some understanding, analysis or rationale needs to be put out in the public forum to make us lesser mortals understand why and how one should take MTHL for their travel needs to Panvel and beyond inspite one way cost being Rs. 250.

Just as an aside - Mumbai Pune Expressway toll till about 6-8 months back was around 270/- one way.
Let that sink in
Roark is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 18:36   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) set to open on January 12 | Toll: Rs. 250 one way

Don’t think ₹250 toll is too high if this saves you 30-45 minutes.

But in the near term, the issue is that this is a bridge to nowhere. The contract for the link connecting Chirle to the Expressway has not yet been awarded - so that is several years away. Similary, the Navi Mumbai airport is a couple of years away from what I can see of it’s progress. The connector from Sewri to Worli is at least 2 years away. And it does not seem to have an exit towards Ambedkar Road in any case.

Net result, we have built a fast road from Sewri to Chirle but we have no traffic between these points. And based on my Google Map estimates, even Sewri to Khalapur by this road will save only 15-20 minutes, and for anyone starting anywhere further North or West in Bombay, the saving will be even lower.

Over time, dispersal systems will be built and even a higher toll could be justified. But currently, this will be a joy ride stretch except for trucks that need to go from Mumbai Port to Nhava Sheva.
Hayek is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 19:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Dont know if this INR 250/375 is low or high, but one thing is for certain. Between 1st toll stop and 2nd toll stop, point A to B, this is the highest toll for a passenger car in India, am i right? (Pune-Bby has multi stops, I am referring to just between 2 stops).

That said, how many users are going to use this bridge to a lesser developed part of Mumbai outskirts remains to be seen after all the hoopla dies down.

Last edited by svsantosh : 8th January 2024 at 19:32.
svsantosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 22:23   #49
BHPian

I believe its too high.

We are known to create infrastructure without having a proper connect or exit/ entry to it. There is a time when I prefer to skip sea link and take Tulsi pipe road as at Bandra one is stuck for a time/ fuel I saved using it( when I need the most)Till the time authorities are not able to offer seamless entry/ exit amounting clear savings , I would take it with pinch of salt.
Old 8th January 2024, 23:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

Toll of 250 is loot and 375 for return and 12500 for a monthly pass is daylight robbery. If they want this to be mass used, this type of toll money will not help them at all. They should be concentrating on users who will use if the toll money is kept low, thus numbers increasing and they making more money than higher toll money and less users.

We pay road taxes, taxes on fuel and everything we eat, buy and breathe, tolls can't be this expensive for 22 kilometres. Mumbai to Pune toll is around 300 bucks for 100 odd kilometers and this for 22 km can't be 250 bucks.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th January 2024 at 16:31. Reason: Typo
humyum is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 10:46   #51

The toll value seems to be somewhat fair, not for private users but for shuttle services to get people to and fro.

I travel from Thane to Churchgate 5 days a week, the only issue I see is the entry point to Mumbai viz P D'Mello Road. The entire ride is smooth with traffic moving at a steady rate, although haphazardly during peak hours.

The MTHL is going to put even more pressure on the exit of P D'Mello road and the freeway, if it is going to be used more by trucks. Already the P D'Mello road causes delay of nearly 30 mins if jam packed and brings down the speed from 70-80 to 10-20.

It would have been great if they would have thought of expanding where the MTHL exits too. Since all the traffic coming in from all sides is going to pile up and defeat the purpose.

So, I do feel the purpose of charging toll on the name of time and fuel saving is a waste if we are going to again stand in traffic post exiting the good roads.
Captain Claw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 11:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

How much total distance this bridge saves? How many hours of normal traffic one can avoid with this bridge? Rs 250 paid should be worth spending. Per km 11+ Rs is way to high for me. Its governments responsibility to provide us good roads as they charge heavily when we buy any kind of vehicle.

My problem is why can't we have same amount of toll everywhere in India? Ideally all roads should have same toll charge per km across India. Honestly I think per km charge of the toll should be 50-75 paisa, that's it. So for 100 km road, you pay 50 -75 Rs only. Currently it is varied and some tolls are looting people for years now like Mumbai - Pune expressway. There are hardly any facilities provided & road condition is not that great, still they charge hefty toll over years. Also they keep increasing every 3 years. Same with Pune - Kolhapur highway. There are no facilities provided at all and for last 15 years continuously road work is on here and there. Still they (shameless people) charge heavy toll and keep increasing every year.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 12:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
for anyone starting anywhere further North or West in Bombay, the saving will be even lower.
Was about to say this, for someone like me and many others (north part of western suburbs) its not much useful at the moment until the coastal road is completed providing faster access to south-central Mumbai connecting to MTHL.

i have a feeling this may turn out to be another Bandra-Worli sea link 2.0 in terms of utility.
Old 9th January 2024, 13:19   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
How much total distance this bridge saves? How many hours of normal traffic one can avoid with this bridge? Rs 250 paid should be worth spending. Per km 11+ Rs is way to high for me. Its governments responsibility to provide us good roads as they charge heavily when we buy any kind of vehicle.

My problem is why can't we have same amount of toll everywhere in India?
Sorry, but this is a clearly incorrect solution. The cost of building 1 lane km of Concrete Road is about ₹8cr. So 132 lane km (22 km * 6 lanes) is would cost ₹ 1,056 cr plus the cost of land. Cost of land varies from place to place - 1 lane km occupies 3500 square m or 0.865 acres. So assuming a location where land is ₹20 l per acre, that would be ₹ 23 cr more for land. But in states like MH between Bombay and Poona, land would easily be ₹5cr an acre - or ₹570 cr for the land alone. So the total cost of a road the length of the trans harbour link would range from ₹1100 cr where land is cheap to ₹1600 cr where land is somewhat expensive.

Now look at the actual cost of the link, which has been built over the sea. The cost is ₹ 17,850 cr. How tolls per km be the same everywhere?
Hayek is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 13:37   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Sorry,
While the calculations may be correct but it is the normal public that has to bear such burden. First of all, the taxes are paid and we do not get the required facilities. Limiting this to toll only, Mumbai - Pune express way cost was recovered by 2017 or so. It was again allowed to run it for next I think 30 years or whatever the duration is. The argument is why the toll now is Rs. 320/- whereas it should be nominal, say Rs.100.

Frankly speaking, like one of the person said above (Rs 0.75/km), any toll more than Re. 1 per km is loot and extortion.

When I had travelled between Del and Agra in 2017 or so, the toll was Rs. 425/-. While rich may not feel the pinch but common people do.
Slowjet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 15:12   #56
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I stay at Seawoods and my office is at Nariman Point. I drive my Creta on a daily basis to my office which accounts for approximately 75 kms a day. Morning I leave by 7.30 and reaches office by 8.15. In the evening, I try to be out by 5.30 from office to reach home by 7 pm. My approximate cost of fuel per month is 12000/- per month including Vashi toll

By opening up the Harbour Link, I am not getting any time benefit as it hardly reduce my door to door time. Moreover my financial burden will be double if I consider my per day toll of Rs.500/-( considering no pass will be available for daily commuters). So for me it is once in a month leisure ride unless they make it low on toll front

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th January 2024 at 15:42. Reason: Entire post quoted
vimalvittaladas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 15:56   #57
BHPian

I think that the one-way price should be increased to 400. This is not just another expressway, the cost incurred is 10x.

Op-ex cost is also going to be 5x if not more. There is no land parcel along the bridge either, so any earnings by the side are not feasible.

Voted for the unpopular opinion - Too Low.

There's no car parking in South Mumbai anyway so I don't know what the car owners are suddenly smoking now. There's little to get excited about.

For someone driving it the other way, i.e. stays in South Mumbai and visits Navi Mumbai, well, ahem, cough cough. Why do they need the subsidy?

To lighten the load on office-goers, all the buses should run paying nominal toll fee.
mkumar79 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 16:19   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post
I think that the one-way price should be increased to 400. This is not just another expressway, the cost incurred is 10x.

Op-ex cost is also going to be 5x if not more. There is no land parcel along the bridge either, so any earnings by the side are not feasible.

Voted for the unpopular opinion - Too Low.

There's no car parking in South Mumbai anyway so I don't know what the car owners are suddenly smoking now. There's little to get excited about.

For someone driving it the other way, i.e. stays in South Mumbai and visits Navi Mumbai, well, ahem, cough cough. Why do they need the subsidy?

To lighten the load on office-goers, all the buses should run paying nominal toll fee.
Totally agreed to this.. Instead of road they should have made a metro line or doubling up the harbour line so that Navi Mumbai - Mumbai connectivity using Harbour line would have become like Central Line.. Frequency of local trains would have increased and faster trains would have provided faster connectivity.
souvikjana83 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 17:02   #59
BHPian

Though I voted for “Too high”, I still feel that 175-200 Rs would have been a sweet spot. I was discussing this with my father who is a retired senior civil engineer and he told me that how high maintenance these infrastructures are and not to forget about high cost incurred to build the project which is usually 3-4 times more than normal land infrastructure.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th January 2024 at 22:35. Reason: Clean up edits.
Vernafied is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 19:36   #60
BHPian

City won't expand outwards if you make it expensive to get into City, don't have much to say about road toll but government missed a trick by not adding a rail line for metro or suburban rail here.

Navi Mumbai is still connected to Mumbai by aging harbour lines with no real plans of having new rail connection.

It's a very myopic decision from government considering it was earlier present in plans but dropped for costs.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th January 2024 at 22:36. Reason: Para spacing and punctuation.
Anikesh11 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks