Too High 215 61.25%
Too Low 6 1.71%
Right amount 130 37.04%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2024, 08:00   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai

Amul special doodle as Atal Setu, India’s longest sea bridge opens.

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-20240114_075845.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 10:06   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
A query.
Somebody staying in Ulwe would be able to answer.

Has the ramp from MTHL to Shivajinagar in Ulwe operational

Also a query for all
How does the return journey work? With Fastag, for every exit from a location an amount is deducted from the account. Not to mention - no receipts or tags.

Yes, the Ulwe entry is now open. Toll fare is Rs. 200 for one-way & Rs. 300.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th January 2024 at 12:20. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 10:21   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post

Also a query for all
How does the return journey work? With Fastag, for every exit from a location an amount is deducted from the account. Not to mention - no receipts or tags.
How does the system calculate the return journey then? Is it then the return journey, taken as return the same day or within 24 hours?
It is 24 hours for availing the said benefit on MTHL. Read this on Today’s Indian Express. Hope this answers your query.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_8727.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th January 2024 at 12:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Amity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 10:28   #109
BHPian

Decades back in Feb 1982, when Mrs Gandhi had inaugurated 5.5 km long bridge on the Ganga we had similar child like excitement to travel on that bridge. There was no toll for the first few months and a trip to Hazipur and back was the outing for many of us !
neerajku is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 10:29   #110
BHPian

Drove twice on the MTHL yesterday once during the day and once during the night. While others have shared the experience about the road quality and speed limit, the toll booth experience bugs me.
  • They mentioned that it has open tolling but I could see the toll barricades installed at the gate.
  • While cars are not supposed to stop at the toll, the reader is located around 20 feet from the gate above the lane and it reads the tag before we reach the gate, however in case of low balance the attendant at the toll stops the car and collects money and we are back to square one of long waiting times.
Surface wise excellent surface - 10/10
Views - 10/10
Lane marking and discipline - 8/10, slow cars still hog the fast lane. Also since the paint is new, the paint line across the road are as big as speed breakers
Toll experience - 7/10
puneetakhouri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 10:33   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Was wondering, does it makes sense to take the MTHL to Mumbai airport Terminal 2 while coming down from Pune?
It depends at what time you would be travelling. It will be really beneficial during peak hours. The JNPT road is usually free most of the time but with lots of trucks. Attaching the screenshot below where you will see most of it blue and no red patches as the traffic is almost negligible during this time of the day.

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_6290.jpeg
ex-innova-guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 11:39   #112

What a marvellous beauty the Atal Setu is. Got to see it from distance it when I visited Mumbai last time somewhere in June '23 and made a mental note to drive on it when it opens for public.

Now once I am back to Pune from my hometown in Punjab, will surely plan a drive to Mumbai to specially drive on this bridge.

Google maps and Apple maps have updated to show the bridge.

Google Maps (Mumbai Trans Harbour Link):
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-googlemapsatalsetu.png

Apple Maps(Atal Bihari Vajpayee Smruti Nhava Sheva Atal Setu):
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-applemapsatalsetu.png
drGicher is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 11:51   #113
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Had a beautiful morning drive on the Trans Harbour Link. Surprisingly, not much traffic or crowds - I remember what a mess the Bandra-Worli Sealink was when it had opened.

This link is going to be a game-changer when the connectors at either end open up. Even now, it is such a calm, soothing, stress-free drive. As compared to driving on the old bridge to New Bombay and navigating through that entire city to reach the expressway. Amazing quality of tarmac (not the dirty & noisy concrete of the Mumbai-Pune expressway), stunning views at some points and a healthy 100-kmph speed limit (you can probably get away with 105 - 110 kmph keeping the speedometer error in mind). There were some points where cars had safely but illegally stopped to take in the views, so we did too. The Trans Harbour Link is safe + quick + convenient, but can get boring like American freeways.

Lots of supercars & vintage cars in the morning. There was even a 118NE being driven hard!

A truly world-class bridge! Proud of my India . Now, I'm going to visit at night to see it lit up - heard the bridge looks fab at night. Lonavla & Pune, here I come!

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-1.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-2.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-3.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-4.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-5.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-6.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-7.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-7b.jpeg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-8.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-9.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-10.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-11.jpeg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-12.jpeg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-13.jpeg

Celebrated with bun maska from Yazdani Bakery & some amazingly brewed coffee:
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-whatsapp-image-20240114-12.57.48.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2024 at 14:04.
GTO is offline   (89) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 13:05   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Was wondering, does it makes sense to take the MTHL to Mumbai airport Terminal 2 while coming down from Pune?
I think so. You can get on to the Eastern Freeway, exit at Govandi, then hop on to the SCLR and there you are at T2. Once the SCLR portion at the WEH is done, it should be seamless, yes.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 13:27   #115
BHPian

I was wondering would there be 1-2 team bhp members driving on Atal Setu - Trans Harbour link on 1st day of opening.

It's great to see so many team bhp members including the creator of this forum GTO not missing the chance and driving straight ahead to experience this wonderful sea bridge.

While at present it doesn't look to be that useful in terms of commuting between peak areas, over time areas will be established along with popular travel routes being developed around MTHL.

Indian cities now have the trend of establishing areas on roads built. For eg. ORR in Bangalore, Ghodbunder Road in Thane, Eastern Express Highway in Mumbai etc.
SidTheChamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 17:47   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
In Bangalore there are atleast 3 tiny ...infra projects that are crawling with no end in sight.
You are being very generous by saying crawling!
LoneRidder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 17:59   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Super impressed that the actual construction time on such a massive project was 5-6 years. In Bangalore there are atleast 3 tiny <1km flyovers not even 50% completed in the same 5-6 years. Not to mention other infra projects that are crawling with no end in sight.
KA has a very corrupt state govt, all parties. It's been this way for over a decade.

The only good things in Bangalore are:
- Climate
- BMTC bus service (best in India)
- KIAL airport (best in India)
- BMRCL (metro train org)
- People
- Food (for my liking atleast).

Rest everything is far, far below average, be it BESCOM, BBMP, BWSSB, BDA, RTO, KSPCB, KSRDC, KPTCL, all state/city govt organizations. Riddled with corruption and self-interest.

Last edited by vharihar : 14th January 2024 at 18:19.
vharihar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 19:55   #118
BHPian

I got a chance to try out the Trans harbour link yesterday when I had to go for a day trip to Pune.
Wonderful drive on the link on butter smooth roads last seen in Mumbai decades ago.
It is a huge time saver ….. reached Dadar from the Khalapur Toll Plaza in 1hr 10 mins flat in spite of the horrible 2.5km stretch of the old highway as soon as we get off the expressway at Panvel.
But there was a great chance to create a landmark that could have been associated with Mumbai just as the Golden Gate Bridge is with SF. Or like the Bandra Worli sea link.
I feel it is a huge missed opportunity.
gpagedar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 20:11   #119
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I drove on it yesterday night and today day time. Yesterday no toll was deducted but today it did. Amazing light show like experience yesterday night. Drove from Seawoods through it upto nariman point and came back at free of cost. Traffic was okayish with so many cars stopping for pics.

Today afternoon again drove from Seawoods to Lower Parel and back through it. But this I was charged. Today, may be due to Sunday experienced heavy traffic with lots of rush. May be the Vashi bridge might had saved time, I feel.

Overall superb driving experience with butter smooth road and stunning views, especially during night. But my daily commute from Seawoods to Nariman Point will be through Vashi as it is costlier affair for commuters.Overall nice experience and feeling proud
vimalvittaladas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 21:56   #120
BHPian

Used the Atal Setu today for to and fro trip to SoBo. As many other members opined, the trans harbour is a beautiful and practical infrastructure solution which city like Mumbai deserves.

While coming from Pune, took the JNPT road exit, continued on old Mumbai-Pune highway for a couple of kms and started on the beautiful JNPT road till the Chirle interchange. It was all effortless till the freeway exit. Even after that, it was all smooth due to today being Sunday.

If one has to visit South Mumbai, this is as smooth as it can get.

A small clip.

There is good enough space at quite a few places to park during emergencies apart from hard shoulders.
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_7259.jpeg

The original Tata Estate
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_7249.jpeg
abhi_tjet is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks