View Poll Results: What do you think of the Toll Charges? Rs. 250 one way
Too High 215 61.25%
Too Low 6 1.71%
Right amount 130 37.04%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2024, 12:41   #166

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai

Well, I travelled from Colaba to Khandala on Friday, via the MTHL.

We left home at 8AM and were in Khandala at 940AM, having gotten stuck kin a mega jam on the ghat.

Had the jam not been there, I suspect it would have taken us no more than 1h20min.

The only comment is that there is no sign on the Expressway, travelling towards Bombay, that says that this is the exit for the MTHL. Google Maps had to be relied upon.
orthopod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 08:44   #167
Senior - BHPian

First ever Marathon on the Atal Setu.

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_4857.jpeg
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 09:05   #168
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) set to open on January 12 | Toll: Rs. 250 one way

^^
You have been heard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
OT: Each side being exactly ~21kms makes it a great case to do half & full marathons just on the bridge itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Just what I was thinking.
Old 10th February 2024, 11:46   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
On a lighter note, the toll to use the bridge on foot seems to be exorbitantly high compared to motor vehicles
nagr22 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 23:05   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post

Attachment 2571332
Thanks great news. Marathon on Atal Setu - Trans Harbor Link will be fantastic. The length is perfectly suitable for half and full marathon.

I do wonder, will the half marathon be point to point i.e start at Sewri(Mumbai) and end at Chirle(Navi Mumbai) . If so then how the vast number of participants will get back to City.
Or will it be round turn at half-way.

And similarly for 10 km. They must do a turn after 5 km else will end up at middle of the Setu.

Either way, it will be a great spectacle to watch on 18th February
SidTheChamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 21:38   #171
BHPian

Mumbai's Atal Setu Gets Nearly Rs 14 Cr Toll from Over 8 Lakh Vehicles in 1 Month

Quote:
8,13,774 vehicles used this mammoth bridge between January 12 and February 13 this year. The total toll collected in the duration is Rs 13,95,85,310. The data also shows that approximately 7.97 lakh cars used the sea link in the last month.
At this rate, it would take only 110 years to recover the construction cost (around 17,800 crores)

What do you think of toll charges now?

Source: News18
Old 15th February 2024, 23:31   #172
BHPian

Guess, the numbers are way below expectations.
If I am not mistaken, the expectation was to see 70k daily volume of cars, which is restricted to only 30K in the first month. Though these are early days, I don't expect a serious bump in the numbers till NMIA becomes functional. Post NMIA is operational, then we would be able to see a serious uptick in the traffic.
Also, increasing the toll is a double-edged sword. If at all the toll is increased, perhaps one might even see a drop in the traffic. it is such a difficult and thankless job of deciding on the toll amount.
But intuitively I believe just looking to recover the cost shouldn't be the sole motive here. I remember Vashi Bridge toll starting off from Rs. 30 in 1996 or around that time and it was expected that in couple of decades the 'sunk amount' will be paid off. We are in 2024 and we are still paying - that too an increased amount.
So I guess, looking at any infrastructure from a long term 'capital cost' perspective is necessary. I don't foresee the sunk amount for MTHL to be paid off in the future and we will keep on paying a toll to use MTHL. And perhaps, that could prompt the Maharashtra Gov to reduce the toll (as a poll sop) and consequently increase the traffic comparatively.

On a related note, I have been regularly using MTHL for the past month and just about a day back, the Open Road Tolling (ORT) has been stopped. The boom barriers are being lowered and the amount is being deducted by a hand held machine. Found a related new item on TOI

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...107673318.cms#

Guess, we always find a way to beat authority and save money.

Another related point, does anybody who has travelled on MTHL, find the speed bumps at the entry towards the toll booths - either at Shivajinagar or Chirle - car shattering, back breaking and what have you!!. Even in the 1st gear at around 10-20 kmph the car just shudders going over them. It just feels that they are way too close to each other and thus the difficulty to go over them.
And now they have added the same in the lanes as well just before the boom barriers lower. I do understand the need to reduce the speed, but this!!
Old 16th February 2024, 10:09   #173
BHPian

From the videos, looks like a fantastic experience. Will need good discipline and restraint to adhere to speed limits and not get carried away. Would surely want to get a taste of this marvelous piece of engineering sometime soon. Also a pretty sight to photograph from elsewhere especially with some drama in the skies. Might perhaps become a signature element of the city in the years to come. Happy for you Mumbai folks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks