View Poll Results: What do you think of the Toll Charges? Rs. 250 one way
Too High 215 61.25%
Too Low 6 1.71%
Right amount 130 37.04%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2024, 00:14   #31

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai

As per news, the inauguration date is 12th January. One way toll will be 250 Rupees. Wonder if the toll charges are too high for daily commuters.

Source :
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mon...99761.html/amp
AlphaKiloPapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 15:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKiloPapa View Post
As per news, the inauguration date is 12th January. One way toll will be 250 Rupees. Wonder if the toll charges are too high for daily commuters.

Source :
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mon...99761.html/amp
Lets hope it encourages people to shift to public transport like bus where the per head charges could work out to be considerably less.
Besides my feeling is that the biggest users of this sea-link will be freight & logistics guys: trucks, transporters etc.
Thus, freeing up the Chembur, Vashi & Khargar side considerably.

~~~~

I had a relook at the first post of the thread - which shows two maps of Mumbai. I believe the maps should be represented more clearly since it can cause a massively wrong impression about land reclamation.
I have depicted the same very crudely - but I hope it helps the non-Mumbai folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-thread_pic1.jpg  

Last edited by alpha1 : 5th January 2024 at 15:34.
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 16:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Lets hope it encourages people to shift to public transport like bus where the per head charges could work out to be considerably less.
BEST (or NMMT) - they haven't announced any bus routes using MTHL as we discuss on this thread. It's a wait and watch for now.

Typically, BEST is quick to add/re-route new/existing routes using the new roads/freeways.
Eg : Back in 2013-14, BEST had announced re-routing of quite a few services originating from Thane/Mulund/Ghatkopar towards South Bombay/Wadala to use the new Eastern Freeway.

Quote:
Besides my feeling is that the biggest users of this sea-link will be freight & logistics guys: trucks, transporters etc.
Thus, freeing up the Chembur, Vashi & Khargar side considerably.
Quite unlikely, given that heavy vehicles entering Mumbai from MTHL will have to travel entire WEH/EEH to exit Mumbai. And, there's restrictions for HCVs to operate within Mumbai during peak hours.

It'll be folks from New Mumbai/Pune intending to reach SoBo or vice-versa.
That's my best bet.
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 19:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
It'll be folks from New Mumbai/Pune intending to reach SoBo or vice-versa.
That's my best bet.
And to add a few folks ferrying to and fro the new upcoming Navi Mumbai airport.

Looks like pretty low traffic (at least in immediate future) then.
Old 5th January 2024, 20:29   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Am a little surprised that the Chirle to Expressway work has not yet started. Was just looking at Google Maps to estimate time from Chirle to Khalapur and compare that to the time from Sewri to Khalapur via the current route.Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_3487.png

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_3488.png

As per GMaps, there is only a 35 minute difference between the Sewri Khalapur time and Chirle Khalapur time due to congestion in Panvel, and a 25 km difference in distance. Given the MTHL is 22 km long, all you save by the current route is 3 km and may be 15 minutes (assuming crossing the MTHL takes 20 minutes). ₹ 250 toll vs ₹40 seems like a lot for that saving.

So think this is going to be hugely under-utilised for the next few years - till the link to the Expressway and the Navi Mumbai Airport (plus link to the Airport) get ready. Will make a bigger difference for going to Alibaug or the Goa highway, and for traffic between JNPT and Mumbai Port.
Hayek is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 10:26   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Given the MTHL is 22 km long, all you save by the current route is 3 km and may be 15 minutes (assuming crossing the MTHL takes 20 minutes). ₹ 250 toll vs ₹40 seems like a lot for that saving.
Exactly my thoughts. With the current infrastructure I don't think paying 250 rupees for saving 10-15 odd minutes would be any better. There is no sufficient infrastructure connecting the MTHL to the WEH or to the MPE. Considering the snail's pace at which projects are completed in Mumbai, the supporting infrastructure would take another 3-4 years to complete at least.
Old 8th January 2024, 11:58   #37
Team-BHP Support

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) set to open on January 12 | Toll: Rs. 250 one way

Quote:
While the state government has decided on a one-way toll of Rs 250 for using the Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) connecting Sewri with Nhava Sheva—set to open on January 12—motorists, campaigners, and some political parties believe the toll charges are excessive. On January 4, the Maharashtra Cabinet approved a plan to impose a toll of Rs 250 for a one-way car ride on the MTHL which will be India’s longest sea bridge. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will officially open the much-awaited 21.8-km-long bridge on January 12.
Quote:
Earlier, the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) had planned to charge a toll of Rs 500 for a single trip, but the urban development department (UDD) reduced it to Rs 350 per car. After much debate, the state Cabinet decided on a toll fee of Rs 250 for a single trip.
Transport expert Jitendra Gupta said a lot depends on the MTHL’s per-hour carrying capacity.
Quote:
If it is found underutilised due to high toll rate, then definitely it becomes a national loss as the very purpose of building the bridge fails as such underutilisation would reduce the foreign exchange savings on the fuel saved as well as time saved for boosting the economy. But in any case, public transport as well as taxis, autos and goods transport, need to be kept toll-free so that it remains within the affordable limit for the common man. Also, daily passes could bring down toll costs for private use.
Quote:
I personally feel that there should be no toll for the MTHL which is an important project. If we calculate the per kilometre toll on the MTHL it comes to Rs 11.46. If we take into consideration the per kilometre toll on the Samruddhi highway, it comes to a minimum of Rs 1.73 and a maximum of Rs 6.38 per km. The minimum per kilometre toll on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway is Rs 3.36 and the maximum is Rs 22.78 per km. Charging such a high price to save fuel and time would be extorting from citizens. If it couldn't be done for free, a price of Rs 70 would have been widely accepted by people.
Quote:
The 21.8-km-long, six-lane bridge has three interchanges—at Sewri in south Mumbai (connecting MTHL to the Eastern Freeway on the Mumbai Side); at Shivaji Nagar in Ulwe (connecting MTHL to Navi Mumbai Coastal Road; and at the Chirle interchange). One of the key advantages of the MTHL project is its ability to provide faster connectivity to various important locations, including the proposed Navi Mumbai International Airport, JNPT Port, Mumbai-Pune Expressway and the Mumbai-Goa Highway. This improved accessibility will not only enhance transportation but also contribute to the overall growth and prosperity of the region.
Source - Mid-Day

Related Thread

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-mthl1.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-mthlaa_d.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-105210138.jpg

Last edited by Omkar : 8th January 2024 at 12:08.
Omkar is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:10   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) set to open on January 12 | Toll: Rs. 250 one way

A boon for those like me needing to commute from Kharghar in Navi Mumbai to South Bombay. Itching to test this out on my next visit to Mumbai. This bridge was being talked about literally when I lived in Mumbai in the mid & late 1970s. I'm glad the current govt had the competence to get it built.
V.Narayan is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:24   #39
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) set to open on January 12 | Toll: Rs. 250 one way

I think its on the higher side. I am not denying the fact that the cost of construction and maintenance would be extremely high, but my reason is that MTHL will continue to charge users for more than 2 decades to recover money and INR 250 is the initial fare, imagine how much will it be in couple of years!! Bandra Worli Sea Link was inaugurated in June 2009 and the concession is still not recovered inspite of extremely high usage! Maharashtra as a state charges lot of taxes from its residents (including the businesses which operate in the state), but the state of infrastructure just doesn't commensurate the taxes paid. Roads even from the airport leading to Bandra Worli Sea Link are just pathetic. State should not just pass the buck to the residents/visitors in the form of toll without providing and maintaining basic infrastructure.

I know this sounds more idealistic and people will (rightly) argue that projects like MTHL costs lot of money due to technical reasons as well, but we should also ensure/call out inefficiencies of the existing set up.
youknowitbetter is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:33   #40
BHPian

The toll seems to be on the higher side but the connectivity to Mumbai is surely expanding. If the time duration saved can be justified, I don't think this would be a problem. My dad has to frequently travel to Vashi, Panvel and Mangaon from Fort and this would surely ease it. Currently, Vashi Toll is just Rs. 45 but the traffic is too much in peak hours. Also, the roads at the end of MTHL are wide but has lots of Truck/Trailer traffic due to JNPT.

I see it in a way Mumbai-Navi Mumbai will expand further with the opening of MTHL. I expect the bridge to see some more traffic as and when the upcoming Navi Mumbai International Airport opens.

OT- They should also reconstruct the NH 66 Mumbai-Goa Highway patch. The current condition is absolutely pathetic.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:39   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, I think what the MTHL as well as other expressway/link roads, etc. charge currently (/or plan to charge) is worth the value of what they provide; as long as they maintain the standards and the benefits that the infra setup was supposed to provide the end consumers.

However, I seriously think what they charge public transport vehicles needs to be given a concession; either by the government chipping in or the SPV/organization managing the infrastructure; simply for the reason that public transport can't be aimed too expensive for the average consumer.

On the other hand, every private car owner (individuals like us or the commercial vehicles) can afford to own and use a vehicle; and we definitely are benefitting quite a bit by such infrastructure investments. So, for us, I don't think 250Rs is that much high a charge; especially if I get my travel time from New Bombay to south Bombay to be significantly reduced by using this. But if I get to see traffic jams at entry and exit points (e.g. as seen at the existing Vashi & Airoli bridge toll gates during peak hours), then it's a fail.

It's a pity I'm not going to be in Mumbai for a while to give this a try; but I look forward to bhpians sharing their experience once this opens up.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 8th January 2024 at 12:41.
ninjatalli is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:46   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't see it as being too high at all. Count the direct savings in terms of fuel & time and you got your 250 bucks back. Count the indirect advantages such as enjoying the drive, the scenic views, lesser wear & tear on your car, no dirty city speedbreakers, moving traffic at all times like the Sealink (New Bombay & Panvel are a mess during rush hours)....

It's perfectly priced. Return journey is @ 375 bucks. Can't wait to drive on it this weekend .
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 13:21   #43
BHPian

I think it's the right amount.
Now we have 2 routes, one cheap and one expensive. Want to save time and avoid traffic, want to reach airport/Pune/Goa/Alibaug/Panvel faster then you have the MTHL.
Don't want to spend much and leisurely travel, you have the old highway.

If public transport like AC buses are introduced, i can see a lot of private vehicle owners, who would use this route frequently, using public transport, saving time-cost-energy.
The MTHL last bridge towards Pune runs right in front of my house. I worry about the kolkhe to expressway patch when 4 lanes turn to 2 lanes with truckers.
PrasadS is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 14:23   #44
BHPian

Rs 8.5 per km for a return trip within a metropolis - Priced really well. And that's not just to traverse a road but shaves off hours! Passengers are happier, so are their bodies as it's a streamlined journey, cars are able to breathe better and give you better mileage with little or no strain. 4.5 years to build, 2 with COVID.

Everything about it is brilliant!
Newtown is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 14:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
After much debate, the state Cabinet decided on a toll fee of Rs 250 for a single trip.
I drove in Mumbai only occasionally and only once during peak hours (coming from Pune to Santa Cruz). On other times, was a back seat passenger. The peak hour traffic gave me heebie-jeebies. And this was more than a decade back, and traffic would have worsened now.

So, in my opinion, Rs. 250 is appropriate amount. It saves not just time, fuel and vehicle maintenance, but also brings physical and mental peace as well. Moreover, the recovery is not just for the construction cost, but also for regular operational and up-keep cost.
AutoNoob is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks