View Poll Results: What do you think of the Toll Charges? Rs. 250 one way
Too High 215 61.25%
Too Low 6 1.71%
Right amount 130 37.04%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2024, 20:32   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) set to open on January 12 | Toll: Rs. 250 one way

I just hope that this project is successful in it's objective and that the tolls would not stop the motorists from using the harbour link. I am not from Mumbai and so wouldn't know the intricacies and advantages/ disadvantages of using the link. The cost of making this link is huge and if the stated objective for making this is not attained as projected then it will be a a major loss.

In Calcutta, two major flyovers that have been built over the years at substantial costs are hugely under-utilised despite one being among the longest of the city. The short sighted ness while building large infra projects often leads to this type of situation. One of the flyover that was built is so under utilised that Calcutta Police has suggested additional ramps to make it more viable. Here's the link, the article is old but the situation is still the same -

https://www.telegraphindia.com/my-ko...er/cid/1856494

The above mention of the online link is just an example of wasted resources. I toll amount seems to be on the higher side for someone taking the link daily and I hope the toll amount doesn't become the Achilles heel for the ones running the trans harbour link. The project is an engineering marvel and so good to look at. I can only imagine the joy of moving through the sea bridge for the first time, congratulations to all those connected to the project.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 9th January 2024 at 20:49.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 23:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) set to open on January 12 | Toll: Rs. 250 one way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
But currently, this will be a joy ride stretch except for trucks that need to go from Mumbai Port to Nhava Sheva.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Claw View Post
The MTHL is going to put even more pressure on the exit of P D'Mello road and the freeway, if it is going to be used more by trucks.
I am not 100% sure, but does the trans-harbor link opens to eastern freeway or to the underlying road (forgot its name)?
Freeway doesn't allow trucks, so how will trucks get on to the MTHL.
Old 10th January 2024, 06:45   #63
BHPian

With the current petrol prices in Mumbai at around Rs. 107/litre, using bridge can easily help you recover a good amount of that chunk with respect to time savings and fuel savings alongside the sheer peace of mind and driving pleasure (which is the real benefit IMHO). Mumbaikars suffer day in and out due to bad road infra and I’m sure that people wouldn’t mind paying 250 bucks for the same.

Whether or not a government bridge made by a government body should be levying toll in the first place is a completely different argument.
Old 10th January 2024, 08:37   #64
BHPian

A photo from the creek below.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_20240109_174653.jpg  

adi.mariner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 09:18   #65

Re: Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai

Keeping the toll and others things aside, I feel that the actual solution to the traffic concerns is running frequent bus service between Navi Mumbai and South Mumbai. The connecting infrastructure is not adequate enough and there will be massive traffic jams towards South Mumbai. Add to that parking woes. So run frequent buses for the daily commuters, the toll for buses divided by a large number of occupants comes out to be minimal. And then let the individual car owner pay 250 as toll who is willing to pay.
Also, I feel that the best way to improve connectivity was to build a railway line along the bridge.
Note to mods : Please merge this post with my previous post if possible as I am unable to merge.
AlphaKiloPapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 09:27   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Don’t think ₹250 toll is too high if this saves you 30-45 minutes.

But in the near term, the issue is that this is a bridge to nowhere. The contract for the link connecting Chirle to the Expressway has not yet been awarded - so that is several years away. Similary, the Navi Mumbai airport is a couple of years away from what I can see of it’s progress. The connector from Sewri to Worli is at least 2 years away. And it does not seem to have an exit towards Ambedkar Road in any case.
If I am not mistaken, NMIA plans to open one runaway by December 2024 and this looks like a distinct possibility.
Secondly, do agree that the MTHL arm to Mumbai-Pune Expressway is yet to be awarded. I think the alignment also hasn't taken place, if I understand it correctly.
Yet the exit at Chirle on JNPT Road, does have a fast & seamless connect to the Mumbai Pune Expressway (barring a small patch on the Old Mumbai Pune Highway). This road links up to the Expressway a little further up beyond Panvel.
Roark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 10:03   #67
BHPian

Toll is just right amount but the usage to people living between Vashi and Kharghar commuting south Mumbai is minuscule. It would only help those living in Ulwe and commuting to south Mumbai.
Even for people looking to travel to Pune / Lonavala, the last stretch from Chirle connecting express way is really bad, for those, you’re better off taking Freeway to Deonar and using Vashi bridge.
Not to mention it is totally useless for people living in western line wanting to visit Navi Mumbai or Pune.
Only use case and I’ll not be surprised if this link will be filled with Trucks as this way would be ideal connecting JNPT to south Mumbai via road
Jangra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 14:36   #68
BHPian

Looking at the direct benefits, 250 is worth it. It straight away saves atleast 2 hours of being stuck in traffic jams.

Remember: time is money.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 20:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_4440.jpeg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_4441.jpeg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_4442.jpeg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-img_4443.jpeg

Source: Mumbai Traffic police.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 20:59   #70
BHPian

While it is the government’s responsibility to build roads and bridges, it is not the government’s responsibility to connect a remote area 22 km away from South Mumbai with a 22 km sea bridge costing 17000 crores. South Mumbai is a very expensive region, and the other side, which is getting connected by this bridge, should not be subsidized by public money. The users of the bridge should pay for it. I understand that the government came to Rs.250/- toll by subsidizing it, which is misuse of public funds in my opinion. Voted "Too Low"
antonylejos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 22:16   #71
BHPian

Just got the following SMS from MyGov about MTHL-

WATCH- India's grandest sea bridge, Atal Setu Mumbai Trans Harbour Link, bridging Mumbai and Navi Mumbai with 6-lane & 21.8 km long, Click here http://vsms.sms.gov.in/Oqsc1bj7bPv
Team MyGov
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 00:27   #72
BHPian

Just received this image on whatsapp regarding toll charges. The effective date at the bottom states it's for 1 year. We might see changes in the toll amount in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-screenshot_20240112002452.jpg  

PrasadS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 07:26   #73
BHPian

Fantastic! Looking forward to drive on this sometime.

Built in exactly 7 years, from laying of foundation stone (Dec 2016) to inauguration (Jan 2024), nice!

Only thing is, I wonder why they made it an asphalt road. With Mumbai's mind-boggling crazy rains, they ought to have made it a concrete road on the entire bridge.

Else we've seen how great we are at letting potholes develop even on flyovers and bridges, expansion joints whose alignment with surrounding asphalt changes with time, etc; if history is anything to go by!
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 10:54   #74
Senior - BHPian

India’s Longest Sea Bridge lit up before inaugration.

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link | Atal Setu

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-20240112_105336.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-20240112_105338.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-20240112_105341.jpg

Mumbai Trans Harbour Link - Connecting Southern Mumbai with Navi Mumbai-20240112_105346.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 11:27   #75
BHPian

Woo hoo, the prices I hear have come down to Rs 200 and there ain't gonna be any speed challans initially. So come one come all and lets make merry

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks