Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 10:47   #136
BHPian

Mumbai to Nagpur in 14 Hours

Did Mumbai to Nagpur around 875 Kms in last week of december in approx 14 hours. Started from mumbai at 10.30am(22 dec) and reached nagpur around 12.10am(23 dec).
Route Followed: Mumbai->Chakan-> Ahmadnagar->Aurangabad->Jalna->Mehekar->Karanja->Pulgaon->Wardha->Nagpur.
1st Break taken after 350KM and subsequent breaks after every 250-300KM.
felt severe headache for last 200KMs.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:52   #137
BHPian

Have done Mumbai - Udaipur 784 KM and return (Udaipur - Mumbai) with just snack, tea, loo breaks. Co-passengers were wife and two kids (4.5 yrs and 18 months old). They would want to stop every time they wanted to have water or anything to eat even within the car. Tested my patience to limit but it was fun. We did the drive in Zen Lxi. Other than this I have done many 400 to 500 km drives around Mumbai.
Old 30th January 2009, 13:18   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
1st Break taken after 350KM and subsequent breaks after every 250-300KM.
felt severe headache for last 200KMs.
Shabahmad, for headaches and cramps try sipping ORS or Electral. It really works wonders for me and Ramky of 6D6KGQ fame . Hydration is the key and salt balance equally important.

One should decide the breaks on time and not on distance. e.g. I tend to stop after every two hours of driving. Irrespective of the distance covered. Keeps me fresh and the fatigue doesnt set in. You may choose to stop every three hours.
Old 30th January 2009, 14:20   #139
BHPian

Calicut bangalore

Calicut-Bangalore approx 350 KM
Old 30th January 2009, 15:13   #140
BHPian

dushmish@ Yes, Electoral helps a lot. I also come to know about it in GD Drive.

I made this trip for my urgent presence in nagpur. Also agreed that we need to take break on time basis and not on distance. But i have set the distance target to reach with 5-10 mins breaks in between.
Since i was fresh wanted to cover as much distance before taking first break.
Covered 1st 350 Km in 4 hrs 30 mins and taken break just before Nagar.
2nd break come around in Aurangabad which is for refuel.
3rd stop came in Mehekar for a tea break and
last stop around 150 kms before nagpur for a tea.
These breaks are with in 2.5 hours/200 Km distances.

Was traveling alone so has to be very cautious & alert. Every time i stop i used to do 5-10 push ups and sit ups for blood circulation also every time washed my face in cold water. Also on every stop i used to call my wife and inform my location, so it helped.

I came back by same route but taken 16 hrs to complete coz my wife is with me and i didn’t pushed to much.
Old 30th January 2009, 17:22   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
I just would like to know whether the personal cars on interstate travel in India on personal trips are subjected to any TAXES by the states?

If a person would like to travel in a Tamilnadu registered car on a trip covering various states such as Andhra, Goa, Karnataka , Kerala and back to Tamilnadu,
1. How the cops treat "alien state" registered cars?
2. Is there any special procedure to be done before taking on multiple interstate travel?

Regards,
Hariharan
The MV Act for all the states specifies that a non-commercial LMV (light motor vehicle) registered in state A does not have to pay a RTO road-tax to state B, if plying in state B for a period of less than a year/unless the owner shifts residence to state B - in which case a fresh road tax will have to be paid to state B.

An entry tax may however be levied for all (including non-commercial LMV)vehicles, not by the RTO but by the State govt.'s Dept. in charge of roads and highways - it is usually a nominal sum of Rs.25 (in HP) to Rs.100 (J&K - if I remember right). Vehicles owned/driven by members of the Armed Forces are exempt from this tax, as also from paying highway toll, on production of ID cards.

I was stopped at the WB-OR border last month and asked to pay a whopping Rs.800 road-tax for entering OR - the first time ever in all my time on the highways. I refused to pay, told them that "Faujis" don't pay such tax, and drove off. I had been warned that such a corrupt practice happens at the Orissa borders, so I was mentally more prepared.

More inputs from other members are requested. @hvkumar: what was your experience during the GQ drive?
Old 30th January 2009, 17:34   #142
BHPian

Quote:
dushmish@ Since i was fresh wanted to cover as much distance before taking first break.
Thats the most common mistake most of us make. Trying to cover maximum distance in first leg. A better idea is to keep the driving time between the breaks same and try and start early to beat the traffic. Dont let the fatigue set in.

Quote:
Was traveling alone so has to be very cautious & alert. Every time i stop i used to do 5-10 push ups and sit ups for blood circulation also every time washed my face in cold water. Also on every stop i used to call my wife and inform my location, so it helped.
I take a walk. Some streching exercises. Clean my front and rear windshield. Wash my face with cold water . Maybe have a tea or a juice. No airated beverages. It helps to wash ones legs till the knees.
Old 30th January 2009, 17:58   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Bangalore - Karwar (500+ km, 10 hrs, Tata Safari; return was with a halt at Jog Falls)
Munnar - Bangalore (550 km, 13 hrs, Tata Safari; onward was with a halt at Coimbatore, was not a member of TBHP then, and took longer route :( )
Bangalore - Kodai (400 km, 10 hrs night driving, Tata safari, return in 9 hours)
Bangalore - Ooty (300 km, several trips in Zen/Safari, 4.5 hours to 6 hours)
To add to my previous list:

Bangalore - Bijapur (530 km, 11 hrs, Tata Safari; crossed a 20 km long jam in 3 hours )

I prefer Minute Maid as a drink during drive, it is tasty and refreshing. Anybody else tried it?
Old 30th January 2009, 18:01   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Please read this thread on the effects of fatigue and sleep deprivation before embarking on long drives.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...gue-kills.html

It can save your life!!
Cure for fatigue/sleepiness while driving exists. Check out this link: New Drugs Promise More Alertness: Sleep in a Pill | Sleep | Reader's Digest. In India the drug is sold under the brand name of Modalert. A 100-mg tablet taken once in a 24-hour period works like magic for most average sized adults. Time to start working: around 1-2 hours. Not a prescription drug to the best of my knowledge, but use your own judgment and do your own research before using this. All I can say is, I've used it.

All ye Night Riders out there, please don't try setting records on this tip.
Old 1st February 2009, 10:48   #145
Senior - BHPian

My longest non-stop is 550 Kms in 17 Hrs from Seoni in MP to Hyderabad. Included a 4 hr break at Nagpur to change brake pads at the Fiat Dealership (More on this on the Delhi - Hyderabad Trip Thread).

I used to use RedBull to keep myself alert but back in India off late I try to stop every1.5-2 Hrs for 5 minutes to stretch myself and splash some water on the face.

Appropriate AC temp also helps in avoiding fatigue.
Old 1st February 2009, 13:38   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Haven't really kept track of how long I've driven non-stop, as in never stepping out of the car. My guess is 8-10 hours. That may not necessarily have covered a lot of km. In Dec.'08, on the drive to Kolkata from Delhi (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...i-5000-km.html) I remember stopping to tank up at Mathura (about 12 midnight), then stopping again at Allahabad after @ 550 km to tank up again (6:30AM). I consider loo and tea breaks to be parts of my non-stop drives, and the hypothetical non-stop drive can only be limited by the range of your car - fuel tank from full to empty. But by my criteria (that is, without sleep), I've covered the DEL-CCU stretch in 22 hours this time, and in 27 hours in January 2005.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:22   #147
Senior - BHPian

Daman - Pune without a break. 300 ish. And its was unbearable that too with half of that distance being the expressway.
Old 7th February 2009, 10:33   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Have done in excess of 500-600 KMs on numerous ocassions.

Once rode my bullet to Jammu from Delhi, dropped a friend over there, and almost immediately rode back to Delhi, that makes it 1300 KMs in less than 20 hours.

\N
Are you serious? You actually sat on the stock bullet seats for 20 hours at a stretch?
Old 6th June 2009, 23:55   #149
BHPian

Driving my Omni van on Dec 04, 2005 from Gangtok (Sikkim) to Diamond Harbour (Kolkata). Total distance covered approx. 800km. Started our journey at 8:00 am and reached Diamond Harbour at 3:30 at night. Stopage for food - Siliguri, Raiganj, Malda, Behrampore, Dumdum.

Road condition of NH34 - the attached image will tell the story. Especially from Santipore to Dalkhola - the road was not even good for one km.
Attached Thumbnails
Maximum distance without a break-573.jpg  

Old 9th August 2009, 11:49   #150
BHPian

Drove from Mumbai to Jaipur 1205 KM in 18 hrs. With wife and 2 yrs old daughter. Lone driver, no breaks except for food and loo. Did this is Zen in the heat of May 09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks