Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 14:44   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad: Updates on traffic - diversions, road expansions, alternate routes, etc.

In any Indian Metro city, the state of a road or a junction does not remain the same after 6 months, especially when the local authorities are as trigger-happy as Hyderabad's. Look at what they have done to Tarnaka-Habsiguda-Uppal road in the name of expansion of so called "inner ring road". On top of this we find dharnas or "traffic diversion to facilitate a VVIP tour" in Hyderabad on a regular basis.

So, when one is planning to attend a family function or a party or official business in the other side of the city it will be useful to check out the latest on roads, junctions and other aspects of traffic so that the logistics can be planned in advance.

Let me kick off this with an update on ECIL X road. The overall traffic levels around this area has been on the upswing ever since traffic police started diverting the trucks plying between Mumbai/Nagpur and Vijayawada via Medchal-Lal Bazar-ECIL-Uppal route (previously they used Medchal-Bowenpally-Sec'bad-Uppal route). On top of this the bus stand near ECIL X road is recently closed down because APSRTC palns to build a commercial complex within the bus stand. So all those RTC buses are parking on the roads leading to ECIL X road, and this is leading to big traffic jams. So to avoid getting stuck at ECIL X road, the following are alternate routes:

Coming from Tarnaka, going to A.S.Rao Nagar or vice versa: take Moula Ali- "lane next to Radhika Theater"-A.S. Rao Nagar route

Coming from A.S. Rao Nagar, going to Kushaiguda/Nagaram or vice versa: take left at the lane next to Sai Sudhir College or "that round building", take right after reaching Ravindra Bharati school, you will reach Kushaiguda main road near Venkateswara Swamy temple.

Coming from Tarnaka, going to Kushaiguda/Nagaram or vice versa: Endure the traffic or go via Nacharam-Mallapur-Cherlapally route
Old 20th March 2009, 10:37   #2
BHPian

March 21 - "Vijayabheri", a political meeting at Secunderabad Parade Grounds

Prajarajyam Party (PRP) is organizing a massive political meeting at Secunderabad Parade Grounds on March 21. Avoid travelling through that area between 4-8 PM.
Old 20th March 2009, 12:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is a good thread!
Thanks for the heads up regarding tomorrow's political meeting. A couple of weeks ago, I was itching for a drive on a Saturday evening, but somehow could not go for it. I was lucky, as I heard that Sonia Gandhi had held a meeting at Parade Grounds.
Many people had to walk home to Bowenpally from YMCA--my niece was one of them
As regards the routes in the first post, I don't even know places like Kushaiguda and Nagaram. Nevertheless, will keep it in mind if I ever go towards AS Rao Nagar.
Old 20th March 2009, 18:15   #4
BHPian

@ vnabhi - good you noticed this. Knowing Kushaiguda or Naagaram might be useful if you wish to go to Keesaragutta (25 KM from ECIL X Rd; home to a famous Shiva temple) or when you travel to Warangal and want to avoid Tarnaka-Uppal route. A.S. Rao Nagar-ECIL X Rd.-Naagaram-Rampally-Ghatkesar is a much quicker route.
Old 20th March 2009, 22:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks nagasivareddy.

I have an alert for those who ever get to use the shortcut from Raj Bhavan Road to KCP Jn (near RTA office). This road is a right turn after Raj Bhavan if you are going towards Khairatabad, just before Metro flats complex. It meets the other main road near Best Cafe, near Medinova Diagnostics.
There is a sharp bend near NASR primary school, and just after the bend, there is a tree on the right side blocking 20% of the road. Owing to this, the chances of a head on collision are very high----and the funny part is that any vehicle plying in either direction tends to think the other guy is on the wrong side. You will understand better only if you drive on that road.
So guys, be on the extreme alert at that bend, if you ever take that shortcut.

Another danger lurks in the road near VLCC opp MLA colony, after TRS Bhawan, when you are driving towards Jubilee Hills. There are sudden gaps in the median, where you may be caught off guard when the vehicle in front suddenly takes a U turn. This apart, at some places the median curves to the left, making the road narrow --so be careful while overtaking on that stretch.
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:08   #6
BHPian

Went to Langar House area after a long time. The fly over on Langar House junction is still under construction. There was a road expansion taking place on Chevella road. Traffic was moving at snail's place at both places.

But nothing could beat the road expansion work on Nizampet road. This work is on for close to 1 year, with no end in sight. The entire road, NH-9 on one end and Bachupally on the other end, is a living nightmare. AVOID IT.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Another danger lurks in the road near VLCC opp MLA colony, after TRS Bhawan, when you are driving towards Jubilee Hills. There are sudden gaps in the median, where you may be caught off guard when the vehicle in front suddenly takes a U turn. This apart, at some places the median curves to the left, making the road narrow --so be careful while overtaking on that stretch.
This might be true if you are on this road for the first time! The median gap just after VLCC is a known U turn point. The gap after that which is on a curve is really the most dangerous one and people who know this, never take a U turn there except for few! Once you are through this, there is another gap in front of Lanco which again can be very dangerous if you are not careful.
I take this road every day and I know where exactly one has to slow down and the spots where you can overtake!
This road sometimes is infested with the moving roadblocks called APSRTC and you have no other option but to follow these!
Old 24th March 2009, 12:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post

But nothing could beat the road expansion work on Nizampet road. This work is on for close to 1 year, with no end in sight. The entire road, NH-9 on one end and Bachupally on the other end, is a living nightmare. AVOID IT.
It definitely is a nightmare. I would say its better now, it was a real pain when every second day, someone or the other would dig it up to lay some pipe ... I live there and so it becomes unavoidable ... Lucky for me, I do not live way inside to deal with the nightmare for long distance

On weekday, the underpass at Hi-Tech City railway station is a nightmare too ... I usually avoid it by taking a detour through Miyapur.
Old 24th March 2009, 16:32   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
This might be true if you are on this road for the first time! The median gap just after VLCC is a known U turn point. The gap after that which is on a curve is really the most dangerous one and people who know this, never take a U turn there except for few! Once you are through this, there is another gap in front of Lanco which again can be very dangerous if you are not careful.
I take this road every day and I know where exactly one has to slow down and the spots where you can overtake!
This road sometimes is infested with the moving roadblocks called APSRTC and you have no other option but to follow these!
Even i use this road 2-3 times a week whenever i am going to Gachibowli. I absolutely agree with you. It is highly curvy and with median breaks at quite a few points along the entire stretch.

But, since i know this road like the back of my hand, i love going at a slightly higher speed on this blissfull snaky road and never never take a u-turn on that entire stretch which can if not done properly turn out to be disastrous.
Old 24th March 2009, 16:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
On weekday, the underpass at Hi-Tech City railway station is a nightmare too ... I usually avoid it by taking a detour through Miyapur.
true ,infact let the rains come and then the underpass would turn into a complementory swimming pool.

am not sure why the over bridge work next to the hi tech city station is stopped.

infact i have a couple of friends living in malaysian township who are seriously looking for a change of residence( they live in rented accomodation) due to the water logging at the underpass during monsoons.
Old 24th March 2009, 16:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Exactly! I too take this road daily. I curse myself if there is a bus ahead. I was referring to the second gap in the median--the one you said was dangerous.
As you know, the road dips after VLCC and goes up again on a slight turn to the right. Once I was behind a car that was just behind a slow moving school bus. We all stopped owing to some obstruction ahead, and to my horror, the bus started rolling back when he was leaving the clutch---the Alto in front of me must have had a heart attack. Luckily I always maintain a safe distance, especially on uphill slopes, to allow for such goof ups.

Last edited by vnabhi : 24th March 2009 at 16:45.
Old 24th March 2009, 16:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
true ,infact let the rains come and then the underpass would turn into a complementory swimming pool.

am not sure why the over bridge work next to the hi tech city station is stopped.

infact i have a couple of friends living in malaysian township who are seriously looking for a change of residence( they live in rented accomodation) due to the water logging at the underpass during monsoons.
I believe the work on the rail over bridge is stopped due to some clearances from railways ... Hoping for it to get completed and see the light ...
Old 24th March 2009, 16:49   #13
BHPian

hey pulsar ,the other day when i picked you up to go to avi's place ,we guys took that shortcut from care hospital on banjara hills rd no 1 ,which connected us to tiwari brothers wala road.

that can be used by mobike right ,to avoid traffic at khairatabad signal.

pandeyji ,helping you save some time here
Old 24th March 2009, 16:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
But, since i know this road like the back of my hand, i love going at a slightly higher speed on this blissfull snaky road and never never take a u-turn on that entire stretch which can if not done properly turn out to be disastrous.
This discussion is making me nostalgic. I used to live and work very close to that area. In early 2000's, I and wife have done "drive around the KBR park" many a time in a then-newly released Santro Xing whenever we wanted to enjoy the weather (like it is today).
Old 24th March 2009, 16:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
hey pulsar ,the other day when i picked you up to go to avi's place ,we guys took that shortcut from care hospital on banjara hills rd no 1 ,which connected us to tiwari brothers wala road.

that can be used by mobike right ,to avoid traffic at khairatabad signal.

pandeyji ,helping you save some time here
That's Anand Nagar Colony road.

I dont like this route as they are narrow, sometimes congested lanes and whenever i took a diversion into this road to avoid the main road traffic, i didnt find the traffic in these lanes any less.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks