Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2010, 10:27   #1726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Actually there is. There was a drive in Pune where traffic cops were given perks for issuing tickets to violators. I that case the cops were happy and the violators were under check or scared to break rules at will.
I guess this was when Suresh Bhai Kalmadi was something in MH. When he moved to Delhi then its stopped all of a sudden.
Wow ! This is what I call an "Indian solution to an Indian problem". The solution here has nothing to do with income levels of cops. If income level was a concern, they would have increased their salaries. They chose not to do that. Instead, they chose a true Indian solution. Philosophically, they tried to legitimize bribing.

Think this way. When a violator pays bribe to the cop, govt gets nothing. But what if govt pays an incentive (bribe) to the cop to catch a violator and make him pay to the govt ? Then both govt and cop keep the money. As long as the govt incentive is more than the private ones (from the violators), the cop will be loyal to the govt. I could imagine why this drive couldn't be sustained for long.

We need more such Indian solutions in our everyday life. Don't confront corruption - you can never win against a 110 crore army. Instead, think of ways to make good use of Indian behavior to come up with innovative solutions that work in spite of corruption.
Old 25th July 2010, 16:24   #1727
Senior - BHPian

^^ IIRC people were pretty happy as only violators were kept in check. There were more license check drives. It was not bribing but some encouragement to the cops to do their work for which they were employed in the first place. I think some part of that scheme is prevailant in Bangalore itself where cops go beserk to complete their targets nearing month end. Thats not bribing. Its completing the challan book.
Old 28th July 2010, 09:59   #1728
BHPian

whats cooking?

Saw a lot of traffic policemen lining up on Inner Ring road today morning. Any Rallies here? I wasn't aware that there are these many traffic policemen in Bangalore !!!
Old 28th July 2010, 10:08   #1729
Senior - BHPian

British PM's visit has caused lot of traffic restrictions.

I had a tough time reaching MG Road from HAL side. Had to take deviation via JB Nagar, Indiranagar, Cambridge layout.

There was heavy police bandobust in and around Hotel Leela Palace.

EDIT: here is the link on traffic restrictions and areas to avoid.

Last edited by sbraj : 28th July 2010 at 10:25.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:18   #1730
BHPian

Not sure whether I can post this in this thread - but I noticed a good thing in Bangalore y'day evening.
My office is in Electronics City. Y'day evening I saw a Tempo Traveller with full of employees just about to leave the office. I was standing by the side and surprised to see that all employees putting-on their Seat belts - including the driver of the TT.
Old 28th July 2010, 18:08   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Not sure whether I can post this in this thread - but I noticed a good thing in Bangalore y'day evening.
My office is in Electronics City. Y'day evening I saw a Tempo Traveller with full of employees just about to leave the office. I was standing by the side and surprised to see that all employees putting-on their Seat belts - including the driver of the TT.
TT has seatbelts even for passengers?
Old 28th July 2010, 19:05   #1732
BHPian

Took the Bellandur-Yemlur-Marathahalli road today while leaving office to avoid the traffic on ORR. When I reached the signal near Logica CMG where the road joins the main road, there were so many people jumping the signal that i got mad.In my nearly 4 year stay here, I always thought that Bangalore traffic was atleast a little bit better than other indian cities, but seems like it is getting worse by the day. I can understand people jumping the red light when there is very little traffic ( i get honked when i wait for the light to turn green during those times ), but shamelessly jumping the red light in peak hour traffic? I shouted at a few guys who did this, but they didn't even turn their heads :( .
Old 28th July 2010, 20:54   #1733
BANNED

OT: Though it is a small incident, it is very irritating. I ride from Hebbal to Mysore Road through the Mekhri Circle-Basaweshwaranagar-Vijaynagar-Attiguppe road to and from office these days.

I tend to use cross roads and bylanes as much as possible to avoid traffic. Last evening around 2000HRS I was riding down a slope at around 40kmph when I see a bike on the opposite direction coming towards me. The biker was initially on his left and when we were around 100ft away from each other, suddenly came to his complete right i.e. my left side without any indicator, slowing down, hand signal etc.
I stopped close to him.
He was around 45 years of age.
Me: Saar, what is this, you come to the right without any indication?
Him: Saar, there is a hump on road and I wanted to avoid it. It is not there on your side.
Me: What about reducing speed, signalling..something at least??
Him: (What is all that?) Yes, he had that look on his face.
Me: Parting line-Even after all these years you dont know how to ride a bike.
Him: Completely unperturbed...

I rode away shaking my head in disbelief.
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:42   #1734
BHPian

Please beware this cab a white sumo KA 01 B 7116 driver by a driver who seems to be around 30 years of age or so.
Did I forget to tell that all the cab passengers are school kids with all kids less than 10 years of age.

Today morning, this cab fellow would have got into an accident had the santro guy not braked in time.

Here is what happened...
There was a mini truck, behind that was a swift and behind the swift was the santro and behind santro was me and this cab was behind me.
All of a sudden on a narrow road, this cab driver decides to overtake and as he overtakes me and the santro ahead of me and then he sees another sumo coming in the opposite direction and merges back into the left dangerously close to the santro. The santro seeing this crazy maneuver from the sumo moves to the left and brakes really hard, seeing all this I was able to brake in time to avoid read ending the santro as I was maintaining about 2-3 feet distance between me and the santro.

All this happened near rajajinagar 1st block. I spot the exact same cab after a few minutes driving completely on the wrong side of the road near sadashivanagar police station and turning towards new bel road with at least 15 little kids.

Please spread this message.
My worry is more to do with the little kids in the cab driven by a maniac.
Old 3rd August 2010, 09:58   #1735
BHPian

Agree. I have seen this many a times , especially in Bangalore the risk is high since roads are congested and there is a un scientific mix of good and bad roads which makes such people do reckless driving. One of the reasons i still do pick and drop for my children.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:30   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hehe, you should have stayed with them till they got out of the campus. I am 100% sure all seat belts would be off by then.
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:11   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hehe, you should have stayed with them till they got out of the campus. I am 100% sure all seat belts would be off by then.
Quite possible.
"You can take the horse to the water, but you can't make him drink".
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:30   #1738
BHPian

Aren't we the culprits

Hi all,
Please take a moment to ponder on this.
We blame rick guys, BMTC/Volvo buses, cabs, trucks and everyone else.

In office most of us behave as if we are the new generation highly sophisticated people.
Also when we blame the above category of people, we also think that we are the most discpilined
Since we are talking in the context of Bangalore, we can safely assume that "we" comprises of IT guys and gals.

Now whether it be morning or evening peak traffic hours, I can confidently say that 90% oc the vehicles are privates and in the 90%, again 99% is owned by a pro working in some or other IT firm.
Have we ever noticed how so called "educated" ( We are all literate, not educated. Education has a different meaning) people like us drive.It is not hard to notice the stickers on cars/bikes etc. Most of them are of some IT firms.

And we don't drive following all traffic rules, do we?

Why do we always blame others when we are also at fault to a very good extent?

Think about it with a unbiased mind. You will get what I am trying to convey.

Best Regards,
Old 5th August 2010, 10:43   #1739
BHPian

Y'day evening in ORR, after crossing Bellandur junction an Ambulance(Omni) came in the right lane at high speed towards the oncoming traffic. I was able to notice just in time and also gave a big hand-wave signal for the Scorpio following me. And a two-wheeler who was overtaking that Scorpio missed the Ambulance by a FEW INCHES!!

That Ambulance had a small blue indicator on top which was not visible from far.
Ambulances have the right of way - fine. But the Indicators and Sirens should be big and loud enough for other vehicles to notice well ahead.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:58   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That Ambulance had a small blue indicator on top which was not visible from far.
Ambulances have the right of way - fine. But the Indicators and Sirens should be big and loud enough for other vehicles to notice well ahead.
IMO, all ambulances and fire fighting trucks ought to be loaded like the ones in the US. Hear the siren a good couple of minutes before you actually see the ambulance/truck and its so loud that it'll scare the day lights out of anyone around. No one would dare block the path of either vehicle.

My dad mentioned that he saw this moron of an autodriver, with atleast 15-20 kids completely crammed into his auto.The guy was driving in a rash manner, and some of the kids were hanging on for dear life!
All my dad could do was give him a look and move on. God be with those kids!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks