Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2012, 10:10   #3886
BHPian

Traffic lights w/o timer, stop past line

I noticed at Coffee Board/Vidhan Soudha signal today(~9.40 AM), 3 cars being photographed by TP for having stopped past the stop line. The problem is that the lights were being manually controlled without a timer and because of that there was no way for anyone of those to tell when they would change. 2 of those cars tried to reverse back, but the other one, refuted the charges and avenged it by photographing the cop who'd photographed his car A few people, me included, were amused.

How would you react if that happened to you ? Would you engage the reverse gear or pull out your camera ?

Last edited by vinu_h : 30th November 2012 at 10:11.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:14   #3887
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Traffic lights w/o timer, stop past line

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I noticed at Coffee Board/Vidhan Soudha signal today(~9.40 AM), 3 cars being photographed by TP for having stopped past the stop line. The problem is that the lights were being manually controlled without a timer and because of that there was no way for anyone of those to tell when they would change. 2 of those cars tried to reverse back, but the other one, refuted the charges and avenged it by photographing the cop who'd photographed his car A few people, me included, were amused.

How would you react if that happened to you ? Would you engage the reverse gear or pull out your camera ?
That's what the amber light is for . Slow down when the light turns amber so that one can stop the car when it turns red. Timers are only a recent addition.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:30   #3888
BHPian

Quote:

This is the exact problem with car drivers today. They are not ready to admit that they did a mistake. if you are approaching a junction, you should be ready to stop before the stop line. Everybody thinks, they are going to get their 'Nobel prize' if they make it out of the signal junction instead of waiting for a couple of minutes. If you really calculate, most junctions in bangalore have a wait time for a signal to change from Red to green of around 1.5 mins. Most traffic problems in Bangalore are because people who drive are not ready to follow rules. They expect Police to somehow just get the problems solved.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:37   #3889
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Yeddyurappa is stepping out for a walk(Padyatra). Keep away from roads near and around Vidhan Soudha till 3 PM.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:47   #3890
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdath View Post
This is the exact problem with car drivers today. They are not ready to admit that they did a mistake. if you are approaching a junction, you should be ready to stop before the stop line. Everybody thinks, they are going to get their 'Nobel prize' if they make it out of the signal junction instead of waiting for a couple of minutes. If you really calculate, most junctions in bangalore have a wait time for a signal to change from Red to green of around 1.5 mins. Most traffic problems in Bangalore are because people who drive are not ready to follow rules. They expect Police to somehow just get the problems solved.
If its a traffic signals with a functioning amber/ yellow light: YES

But in Hyderabad at least on the routes I frequent the amber light is just one second.
So you are driving at approximately 40 kmph.
Signal is green.
1 meter from the stop line, the amber comes up.
Do you slam on your breaks and get rear ended
or
Do you cross the signal and smash into traffic from other sides.
or
Do you stop such that you may violate the stop line but not enter the path of crossing traffic.

Traffic in India is bad not just because of bad drivers. But also because our ROAD SYSTEMS are faulty.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 12:00   #3891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
That's what the amber light is for . Slow down when the light turns amber so that one can stop the car when it turns red. Timers are only a recent addition.
when the signal is in automatic mode, yes; but when manually controlled i've noticed the signal goes from green to red. there is an option where the signal goes green > amber > red, however looks like the TP like the green > red combo and hence lies the problem.

not saying its all TP's problem.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 12:02   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

The amber light duration should be based on speed on that particular road. I am not sure if I have seen that here. Also, in Bengaluru I have seen tree branches covering the lights, big vehicles blocking the visibility etc.
Old 30th November 2012, 14:02   #3893
Senior - BHPian

This happened on my way to work today around 12:30pm. 27th cross signal near Jayanagar 4th Block Shopping complex.

I was the first car stopped on red on the diagonal road, signal was green for the road in front of the shopping complex (to my right, 9th Main), traffic was a little light and flowing smoothly. Signal goes red for them, green for me. All vehicles on our road had to wait a few seconds for a hand-cart to cross before we moved. By now, signal has been green for us for about 10 seconds, red for the 9th main for 15 seconds.

Biker on 9th Main decides that red is merely a suggestion, tries to plough through regardless. He got precisely nowhere, because he encountered me slap bang in front of him. I had slowed to a crawl, and then moved on.

What I appreciated, however, was the fact that 3-4 bikers around me stopped and were roundly abusing the signal jumper. I wish this happens more often. Most of the time, signal jumpers get away with it

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 30th November 2012 at 14:03.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 14:33   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
In the early 1980's, my aunt learnt to drive and applied for a drivers license. In her first driving test, which ended in about 15 minutes, she flunked.
In her 2nd attempt, the driving test lasted about 30 minutes. She passed. She was asked to (among other things) parallel park and start on a slope. I don't remember much else, I was a kid back then!

All this happened in ... RTO Bangalore South!
Similar to my experience at KA01.

First attempt: I was asked to turn right from the Reddy School lane onto 100ft Road (towards Sony World) into the oncoming lane!
I said no. He says "Parvaagilla, naaniddheeni" (Translated: Why fear when I'm here). I refused. Was promptly failed.

Second attempt: Was asked to drive around the block, reverse into a lane, parallel-park, blah blah. Failed. "Did not adjust the inside RVM" was the reason!!! Dude, if I drove the car to the RTO for the test why would I adjust it again?

Oh yeah, both times I strapped myself in but the RTO stubbornly refused to do so.

Third attempt: Different officer, passed with flying colours. And I didn't pay the guy a dime!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 2nd December 2012, 00:27   #3895
BHPian

The flyover at Intel on ORR towards bellandur is open from today.
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:21   #3896
BHPian

Now the Bangalore traffic police has an initiative called 'public eye' through which citizens can click photos of violators and upload them. They confirm that action will be taken against the violators. You can also check the status of your complaint. http://www.bangaloretrafficpolice.go...icEyePost.aspx
Old 2nd December 2012, 12:30   #3897
BHPian

Quote:

Interesting ... I got into the situation once at Kundalahalli signal, was behind a Volvo turning right at a green light. The Volvo brilliantly decided to stop without completing the turn, leaving me stuck behind. Lights turned red, Volvo moved on leaving me stranded. I reversed the car and got a ticket for "no lane discipline". So, I am confused about the reversing part being right or not.

To complete rest of that story ... The ticket was paid and closed. This was in Nov 2011. In Jan 2012, I got an advance/ anticipatory ticket - seemed a duplicate one with Nov 2012 date and rest of the details exactly same. I promptly sent a letter with explanation and relevant copies, but the ticket still seems open against me.
Old 2nd December 2012, 19:08   #3898
Senior - BHPian

I was comign from Kanakpura on Knakpura road this evening. Happened to see a private bus driving rashly, he came to a stop at the signal before metro (just before the overhead rails of namma metro end). The cleaner of the private bus started arguing with a BMTC bus driver who had stopped next to him. Cleaner was doing some kind of antics while shouting at the driver.

When the signal turned green, both buses started to move. Cleaner started shouting aga, but in the middle he was jumping up and down and voila! He fell down on the road and rolled over couple of times. BMTC Bus driver was alert enough to stop, cleaner's slippers was torn and he got up, ran back towards the bus. Me, my mom sitting next to me and the BMTC bus driver all had a hearty laugh
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:55   #3899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The amber light duration should be based on speed on that particular road. I am not sure if I have seen that here. Also, in Bengaluru I have seen tree branches covering the lights, big vehicles blocking the visibility etc.
Completely agree with you.
If you are unfortunate to be placed in a "traffic signal bind spot" due to a bigger vehicle (from a tall cargo bodied Ace to a BMTC bus) you never know for sure if you are joining in on a violation. Especially at peak hours when there is bumper to bumper traffic (ex: Vellara Junction). One has no clue if the lights have changed - of course one clue if the motorists on the other lanes also would be honking.

Also, I am yet to see a traffic cop, set the light to amber for a safe enough time.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:30   #3900
BHPian

Is it true that after 3 ticketed offences, a driver's licence is revoked? Even if all three fines have been promptly paid off?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks