Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 23:04   #10486
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Funnily enough, imagine you are offering a Uber ride to a female passenger, your girl friend/wife sees that. How would you handle it ?

On a serious note, if owner of the car is not aware of the rider details, its a good opportunity for a tech savvy thug. Today, all you need is an email ID and phone number to register with Uber. So what if some thug registers, books a car and if his day is good, gets a good victim ? I've sent an email to Uber customer support with these questions, let's see what they come back with.
sunishsamuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 23:32   #10487
Distinguished - BHPian

Between Ola, Uber, autorickshaws & buses along with the tens of thousands of cars & lakhs of 2-wheelers we have an unholy mess on the roads of the city. My view is simple and perhaps terribly unpopular - ban Ola & Uber with immediate effect.. they drive terribly rash and break every rule in the book. Autos & buses are necessary evil - keep them, just no more cabs please.

As for the private transport - implement odd/even rule with immediate effect like Delhi, applicable to 2-wheelers as well. I take public transport to work for the most part of the week now and couldn't be happier. The roads of Bangalore are equipped to handle about 1/3rd of the current population, period. The only solution out of this is to reduce the number of vehicles drastically, its getting worse everyday and the best example is today > took an hour and a half to get from Langford Road to further down K'la hardly 6 km and that too in an auto. "App-based" cabs simply drive like devils when passengers have boarded, or drive at 1kmph to find an address, its about time people got off their rear ends and onto the roads to catch a ride themselves.

Last edited by dark.knight : 4th January 2016 at 23:33.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 08:05   #10488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
As for the private transport - implement odd/even rule with immediate effect like Delhi [...] The roads of Bangalore are equipped to handle about 1/3rd of the current population
You need to keep 2/3rd of the vehicles at home if the roads are equipped to handle only 1/3rd the current vehicle population. So you need a remainder-when-divided-by-three rule to decide which vehicles to let on the road on which day - simple odd-even will not help based on your logic.

And you need to stop new vehicles being sold or brought in to city from elsewhere. Otherwise it won't stay at 1/3 very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I take public transport to work for the most part of the week now and couldn't be happier.
Be careful what you wish for. If you force 2/3rd of the commuters to take the currently available public transport, your daily bus ride wouldn't be all that happy anymore.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 08:59   #10489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you accept even one paisa for that and are shown to have the uber rideshare option enabled, just pray that your insurance doesn't find out when you have an accident, and just pray that none of the ride sharers are injured in that accident.

A yellow board taxi has some very complex and expensive insurance to cover the vehicle, owner, driver and pax.

Your normal car insurance, zero depreciation and bought from the dealer, or an el cheapo online policy regardless, has a very clear exclusion clause - if you operate your vehicle for hire, you will not be able to claim insurance.
Agree, this is where the 'greyness' I mentioned in the previous post comes in. You do not accept any money during or at the end of the ride. Uber settles your share later (end of week or 2 weeks if I am not mistaken). So in my view that line between carpooling/sharing costs and picking up people as a hired car is pretty hazy.

BTW, if I take a cab-am I covered in case of an accident? The insurance is always on the car and at max the driver right? I tried reading through a commercial insurance policy document and that is what I would infer.

Also, it is not just Uber. I recently did a quick analysis on carpooling options (Thread Link) and there are a lot of providers who support this. In Blablacar-Which is an intercity pooling provider, the riders pay cash at the end of the ride.

Maybe any insurance expert here can clarify on how the insurance companies are seeing this trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Good idea, until I came across the following detail:

"Uber’s product safety features will be on before, during and after the ride–such as the ability to see your driver’s details in advance, GPS tracking, share my journey and the HELP button in case of an emergency."

So the rider would have the details of the driver, though the driver will be ignorant of that of the rider(s). Either mask the details for both or be transparent both ways. Also in this case, security is equally a big question mark for the driver/ owner as well. In case of an accident the driver would be at the mercy of Uber to identify his passengers? not a situation to be in..
They recently updated this, it goes both ways now- The number is masked/rerouted so that the driver/rider do not see the actual number where the call is coming from.

A rider books the ride via the Pool option on the App. So he/she has to be a registered user. So there is no reason for Uber to not know the rider details. But yes, personally the driver is ferrying strangers, so an accident scenario can get messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

On a serious note, if owner of the car is not aware of the rider details, its a good opportunity for a tech savvy thug. Today, all you need is an email ID and phone number to register with Uber. So what if some thug registers, books a car and if his day is good, gets a good victim ? I've sent an email to Uber customer support with these questions, let's see what they come back with.
The owner will see the name and the rating given by fellow drivers. In Bhpian quickdraw's thread on his experience as a driver in Delhi, he mentions this. He accepted a rider after seeing a 4.9 rating. I assume you will need to do a minimum amount of rides to get the rating public.

I mentioned this to my wife and she had another spin to it. What happens if a thug signs up his private car as a driver and starts offering rides. I assume the level of background checks will be limited for a private driver.

Note: I think I am beginning to sound like Uber PR. Just to reiterate, I have nothing to do with Uber.
Old 5th January 2016, 09:14   #10490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You need to keep 2/3rd of the vehicles at home if the roads are equipped to handle only 1/3rd the current vehicle population. So you need a remainder-when-divided-by-three rule to decide which vehicles to let on the road on which day - simple odd-even will not help based on your logic.
I was having a similar conversation with my shuttle mates yesterday. We need color coding in bangalore to really decongest it - white cars only on Sunday to black cars only on Saturday
chakri400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 09:23   #10491
Senior - BHPian

another bus breakdown on BETL after the lay by on the right towards EC; almost at the same spot as yesterday. this time it's a company bus.

keep left.
Old 5th January 2016, 09:43   #10492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You need to keep 2/3rd of the vehicles at home if the roads are equipped to handle only 1/3rd the current vehicle population.
True, the 1/3rd aspect is only optimal living conditions in the city which unfortunately can no longer be got back. However what I meant was any measure to decongest like keeping cabs off the streets or odd/even rule would help, even if its a 20-30% reduction in traffic. This city is growing at an alarming rate population wise while not having expanded in area like Mumbai/Delhi, logically someday the backlash of this can be expected

Quote:
If you force 2/3rd of the commuters to take the currently available public transport, your daily bus ride wouldn't be all that happy anymore.
True, trying to plug traffic is like trying to plug a 3 holed leak from a barrel.. close one and intensity of flow increases in the other 2 and so on. Surely though, the solution is also not in watching this rampant destruction happen, something has to be done otherwise in 2020 there will be no room to move and long flowing jams will become a norm with no one complaining about it.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th January 2016 at 11:31. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:01   #10493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Maybe any insurance expert here can clarify on how the insurance companies are seeing this trend.
Doesn't matter whether one is accepting money during the ride, after the ride or after an year, if the insurer gets even a whiff that your car was being used for "Hire or reward", they will outright deny the claim.
A private car insurance policy is for personal use only. Also there is a chance, the passenger can claim damages in case of accident. There is no clear policy on how to tackle such eventualities by none of the car pool apps, rideshare providers.
Until such time a clear policy is formulated, I would stay away from such initiatives.
Old 5th January 2016, 12:36   #10494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
if the insurer gets even a whiff that your car was being used for "Hire or reward", they will outright deny the claim.
This actually happened, well, even under a false impression like this below!!

A case last year with my friend's Punto done 1L kms in under 3 years and met with an accident near Kolhapur driven by 4 of his friends in while he took the flight from Pune due to stringent schedules.

A well known Service Provider (mostly with Fiats), sent a lawyer to Bangalore from Mumbai to meet my friend to ask these questions:

1. How as a Teacher by profession, you have managed to drive to much in less than 3 years unless you are using your car for hiring. In reality, he drives a lot and has covered almost the entire country barring the North East

2. What is the proof that you may have not rented out your car to 4 of your friends who met with an accident (all safe) while you took a flight

Eventually, after showing this fella lots and lots of photos from his trip and few Travelogues written elsewhere, the provider only managed to agree to pay 50% of amount and it was a total loss to the owner too!
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 13:39   #10495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
BTW, if I take a cab-am I covered in case of an accident? The insurance is always on the car and at max the driver right? I tried reading through a commercial insurance policy document and that is what I would infer.
Hire or reward exclusion for personal motor insurance policies is a reality worldwide.

For commercial vehicle insurance the basic policy typically covers own and third party damage and separate riders are available for coverage of injury and liability claims for named driver and unnamed pax

Sample http://www.bharti-axagi.co.in/others...icle-insurance

Last edited by hserus : 5th January 2016 at 13:40.
Old 6th January 2016, 00:55   #10496
Senior - BHPian

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/50430281.cms

In this accident, I do not know whom to blame more; BBMP for weird design or rider for riding with no helmet and under possible alcohol influence.
Old 6th January 2016, 07:00   #10497
Distinguished - BHPian

Early morning jam on ORR in front of Adobe. Slow moving traffic. Unsure of the reason
Edit : badly mangled cab. Stick to right most lane.

Last edited by audioholic : 6th January 2016 at 07:08.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 07:15   #10498
Senior - BHPian

Folks

My friend said there was collision between 2 bikes near the Helicopter division on Old airport Road. One of the bikers who fell down was run over by a bus killing him on the spot.
Old 6th January 2016, 08:18   #10499
BHPian

Old Airport Traffic Alert:

There is mess everywhere on Old Airport Road (between Borewell bus stop/Yemalur junction to Kemp Fort in both directions). Those who are planning to take this road, be prepared for delay all along the above mentioned stretch. Reason might be the accident mentioned by suresh_gs.

My suggestion: Better avoid this road for Today.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 6th January 2016 at 08:20.
Old 6th January 2016, 08:21   #10500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Early morning jam on ORR in front of Adobe. Slow moving traffic. Unsure of the reason
Edit : badly mangled cab. Stick to right most lane.
I was stuck in that Jam for 10 mins and then saw the Indica with its front smashed. Looks like the cab rear ended a truck. But I couldn't spot the truck or any other vehicle with its rear damaged.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks