Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2019, 17:06   #17581
BHPian

Re: Bengaluru: Apathy towards humans and Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
...... Then later this guy comes to the side and asks me in Hindi if I cant see where I am going. The moment I gave him a fitting reply in Kannada, his tone changed and he didnt speak further. He was just assuming that I am not from Bangalore and trying to gain something out of it. Sad but this is the reality. All it needed was a stern response in Kannada and that guy could not continue his act since first of all, there was little fault in mine, and second he realised his act of speaking to me in Hindi was a miscalculation. ....
Sad but this is reality
Last Saturday, I was driving on Old Madras Road towards Ulsoor and came to a halt at red signal at junction of Indiranagar 100-ft-road and Old-Madras Road. I was the first vehicle to halt at the signal. I even had the time to engage hand-brake and slot into neutral. BANG! A dumper truck could not stop in time and rear-ended my car
The driver of the truck got down angrily in the mood to argue with me (probably same old excuse/blaming the vehicle ahead of stopping suddenly at red signal). The moment I got down and started admonishing him in my (broken) kannada, he was aghast as though he didn't expect it. He made a lame excuse that he couldn't stop in time due to faulty brakes and that the damage to my bumper wasn't that bad anyways!

*Kannada is not my mother-tongue but I can speak a little bit. And boy, it is useful in such unpleasant scenarios.

On a lighter note, @audioholic, you are welcome to ride shotgun with me whenever we cross paths.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 18:46   #17582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post

I do not promote violence I have said it again and again. but sometimes there is no way out.
Shivraj, I came across another post from you where you describe thrashing a "Maharashtrian Bhau" (sic) because he was blocking your path. Do you see any reason why such things are happening with you repeatedly? Link to the post below

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4624950 (Bad experience with a bike gang on the Coimbatore - Palakkad highway)

Last edited by Lambydude : 28th August 2019 at 19:02.
Lambydude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 19:02   #17583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Shivraj, I came across another post from you where you describe having bashed up a "Maharashtrian Bhau" (sic) because he was blocking your path. Do you see any reason why such things are happening with you repeatedly? Link to the post below

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4624950 (Bad experience with a bike gang on the Coimbatore - Palakkad highway)
"sometimes" shouldve been in bold letters

Yes that was me and it was 4 years back, never held back then didnt hold it last week, As I said in the initial posts as well I have a temper issue but in both the cases I didnt hit first.

The Pune police was good, they got the camera footage and got the accused in next few days and the onlookers tried to stop the fight and not put their hands on me or the other guy unlike the case here last week.
but thanks for reminding me that I am a serial offender and not the rowdies who keep law and order in their wallet.

Mods: I am sorry but had to reply to this as the blame game started.
ShivrajG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 21:17   #17584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
Yes that was me and it was 4 years back, never held back then didnt hold it last week, As I said in the initial posts as well I have a temper issue but in both the cases I didnt hit first.
but thanks for reminding me that I am a serial offender and not the rowdies who keep law and order in their wallet.
Please don't take any of the community's criticism to heart. It is meant to be purely constructive and it could prove to be helpful to you - it was recently in 2019 that a champion MMA fighter was shot dead in a road rage incident somewhere in Latin America.

As for myself, I'm guilty sometimes of starting fights which I do not intend to get into on the road. And then when a case of full-on road rage ensues, what do I do but bear the brunt of it and then moan about it on YouTube and over here? I am so stupid to (sometimes) get into fights on the road which I cannot finish.

My point is that everyone is imperfect. It's just that you and I are laying our chests bare here for the world to see.

I'll be glad though if you see the merit in not bringing your fists to what could be a gunfight on the road. Or should I reiterate any of the examples from Indian motoring history of the times when roadrage led some irate drivers to run over their opponents in a state of murderous rage? Stay safe. We mean well.
locusjag is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 21:20   #17585
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

With road rage, there are no winners.

Some may lose more than others, but nobody gets to walk away unscathed in slow motion with cheesy inspirational music playing in the background.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 22:49   #17586
Distinguished - BHPian

This is going off topic, but I'll respond to the road-rage issue in the interest of awareness for others on the reality of Bangalore traffic - yes, Bangalore has tons of blind, nearly psychopathic two-wheeler riders and autowale whose sole motive, to a passers eye would be to bump into others, or scare them off the road. Same with the plethora of Uber/Ola cabs. The reality is also this that I felt safer and much better on Bangalore roads than in Mumbai and even more so compared to NCR, the epitome of road rage.

Another topic I'm familiar with is self-defense, and any one who is adept at it or is a professional martial artist, will tell you that without self-centering, there is no martial arts, it simply does not work that way. Mike Tyson who trained himself purely on the basis of his paleomammalian/limbic brain and has thrashed many a man inside the ring is now a vegan, raising pigeons and has a demeanor of an innocent kid. Yes the very man who would've sent multiple people to kiss the road in a fight, today refuses to be a part of it. Obviously, he's more self centered than ever, today.

All I can say is that there IS road-rage, and there is road-rage. Even anticipating an attack like hand pulling or arms around the neck and preparing a counter-attack strategy IN ADVANCE is poor judgement. A martial artist who is completely self-centered will be like water, keep flowing but when the action starts just enough to disrupt the flow, the combat should be cold, calculative and directed towards restraining/stunning and moving on than just POW & BAM. Only a calm, centered mind can be capable of such feats, the limbic cortex disables the pre-frontal cortex due to the adrenaline flow, the trick is to repeat the martial art moves and joint manipulation/weak point strikes so many times that it kicks in automatically and even great speeds seem like slow-mo, this is possible only by keeping calm and using the eyes and the pre-frontal cortex.

Winning a fight is easy, if you or the opponent has brass knuckles its game over in one move. The greatest reason why martial arts has been refined, practised and modified over ages, is so that both parties have an equal fighting chance and none can walk away all that easy. That is only as far as the stage is concerned, real life, it should be put away and not be displayed the least bit till its a matter of self-preservation.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 08:26   #17587
BHPian

Having driven an XUV500 before, I've been temporarily using my BIL's i10. I noticed a big difference in fellow driver's attitude towards a small car. Those who know the Sarjapur Road - Gear School stretch may understand it better. When driving a small car, most of the drivers behind keep honking urging the smaller cars to go faster. I think it's mostly aided by the visibility they have over small cars. I noticed even smaller car drivers keep pushing you. They are well aware the road is pathetic and I'm not intentionally hogging the lane but in their perspective, if the road is free, you have to go faster no matter what the condition of the road is. So it seems the government's inability to provide proper roads and impatient fellow drivers are contributing a lot to the big SUV sales. I definitely missed my XUV many times in the past week. Awaiting my Tiguan, I hope the treatment gets better if not to the same level as owning a Fortuner or Endeavour.
Old 29th August 2019, 09:51   #17588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy
Having driven an XUV500 before, I've been temporarily using my BIL's i10. I noticed a big difference in fellow driver's attitude towards a small car.
+1 to that. My previous vehicle was a Mahindra Quanto, and I felt I got my "respect" (if I can use that word) when on that vehicle. One it had a look of a baby elephant, and the seating position was much higher. What I have also observed is that vehicles like Scorpios etc gives an impression that the owner/driver is a local of Bangalore, and so other drivers keep a bit of distance from them. And last; Mahindra jeeps, scorpios etc. still have a very "official" air about it.
Old 29th August 2019, 09:54   #17589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Having driven an XUV500 before, I've been temporarily using my BIL's i10. I noticed a big difference in fellow driver's attitude towards a small car. ....I think it's mostly aided by the visibility they have over small cars. I noticed even smaller car drivers keep pushing you. They are well aware the road is pathetic and I'm not intentionally hogging the lane but in their perspective, if the road is free, you have to go faster no matter what the condition of the road is.
This is the exact context of my last ever roadrage incident in June 2019. I was behind the wheel of my wife's stationary A Star here in Chennai as a Xylo cab honked all the worldly patience out of me, while I waited for a school-kid to finish crossing the road. I displayed my righteous rage at the cabbie with a menacingly wagging forefinger through the wide IRVM. The cabbie overtook me and dithered for a moment and was apparently confused on whether or not to get out and whack me. Thankfully for us both, he sped away. I checked my racing pulse and decided to never show my anger at another person again, no matter who's right. I've held good on my promise since then.

And I seldom get honked at in my TUV 300. It could be as you said; the morons at the back cannot see over taller vehicles...but then again, there are quite a few of those who honk because they cannot see over it
Old 29th August 2019, 10:32   #17590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Having driven an XUV500 before, I've been temporarily using my BIL's i10. I noticed a big difference in fellow driver's attitude towards a small car. Those who know the Sarjapur Road - Gear School stretch may understand it better. When driving a small car, most of the drivers behind keep honking urging the smaller cars to go faster. I think it's mostly aided by the visibility they have over small cars. I noticed even smaller car drivers keep pushing you. They are well aware the road is pathetic and I'm not intentionally hogging the lane but in their perspective, if the road is free, you have to go faster no matter what the condition of the road is. So it seems the government's inability to provide proper roads and impatient fellow drivers are contributing a lot to the big SUV sales. I definitely missed my XUV many times in the past week. Awaiting my Tiguan, I hope the treatment gets better if not to the same level as owning a Fortuner or Endeavour.
Completely agree with you. SUV command respect not just on Bangalore roads, but also on the highways. People who want to merge on to highways always think twice for an SUV, but will barge in without a care if it is an hatchback or a sedan. Even though I like sedans, the pathetic road conditions and the bullying by other road users make me settle for a SUV (CSUV)
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 10:38   #17591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
What I have also observed is that vehicles like Scorpios etc gives an impression that the owner/driver is a local of Bangalore, and so other drivers keep a bit of distance from them. And last; Mahindra jeeps, scorpios etc. still have a very "official" air about it.
Second that. I drive a Mahindra TUV300 and observed that many people give respect to the vehicle, probably due to some assumptions on kind of people normally use such vehicles.
Old 30th August 2019, 06:40   #17592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Please don't say that. I am not initiating a debate here however the reason why the locals here initiate a conversation in another language is to accommodate the folks from outside states. Yes people do not upfront speak in Kannada however imagine a local else where speaking in Kannada and then switching to the local language. Have gratitude to the land from where you earn your living and is your "Karma Bhumi"
I am respectful to the land where I earn my living. For me that’s India.

We should all be ashamed of the fact that fellow Indians decide to treat other Indians differently.

I have spent considerable amount of time in USA, Canada, Europe and Australia, everywhere driving across the continent. Never ever have I been treated in any unfair way. I was always treated with respect.

That respect is missing. Across India. I am originally from kolkata but I regularly drive across India. I have faced my fair share of language discrimination in bangalore. Situation is even worse in kolkata. It’s bad everywhere.

Comparatively speaking I think bangalore is also a place with many wonderful people. It’s mostly the cab drivers or people who migrate from nearby villages who create unnecessary issues. Not sure. But bangalore is better definitely compared to kolkata or Delhi.

I travel to north east frequently. People are wonderful there and they treat you with respect. Doesn’t matter that I can’t speak their language.

Our discussion should not be focused on Bangaloreans vs non Bangaloreans. We all belong to the same country and every person from every part of this country should be treated with respect by other person.
sumannandy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 06:51   #17593
Senior - BHPian

The thing I can't fathom is the number of speed breakers on B'lore roads: there are almost 3 to every street and those on steep inclines must take the cake!!
Old 30th August 2019, 10:06   #17594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I am respectful to the land where I earn my living. For me that’s India.

Comparatively speaking I think bangalore is also a place with many wonderful people. It’s mostly the cab drivers or people who migrate from nearby villages who create unnecessary issues.

We all belong to the same country and every person from every part of this country should be treated with respect by other person.
They too have a human side, imagine how many villages have been gobbled up around Bangalore and people have lost their source of livelihood. They are forced to find other jobs, the exploitation of the drivers is a reality. This is not happening just because people migrated to Bangalore from nearby villages. There is another section of people who have spoiled the culture of peaceful cities like Bangalore and Chennai. We think it is because of one section but there is no such differentiation amongst bad people. India as a federal republic should first concentrate on uniform development across the country.

Last edited by deehunk : 30th August 2019 at 10:21.
Old 30th August 2019, 10:10   #17595
Senior - BHPian

Average commute speed in Bengaluru drops to 18.7 kmph
Survey stating the obvious facts here. Once I have also managed to attain a very high average commute speed of 10 kmph :.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks