Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 10:19   #1
BHPian

Hinjewadi Traffic Issues

Starting this thread to discuss the Traffic issues on the streets of Hinjewadi.

It is becoming more & more difficult each day to travel because of bumper to bumper traffic.

Just have a look at the following pic & see how much of the constructive time each intelligent mind spends on the steet of Hinjewadi :

Hinjewadi Traffic Issues-aa1.jpg
Old 13th August 2010, 10:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have told anyone driving on Pune bypass to avoid going that way in the morning and evening peak hours and ideally take it before 7 am or after 10 pm.

The flyover at Hinjewadi junction is the most idiotic ones. It should have ideally been North-South on NH4 so that the bypass traffic could have taken the flyover, instead of the Hinjewadi outflow using it now. I notice that most of the Hinjewadi traffic also comes under the flyover, many of them turning right onto the bypass, which indicates poor traffic flow analysis prior to building the flyover.

The least they can do is to build service roads so that at least there is free left at the junction for all traffic going that way so that it will decongest the junction.
Old 13th August 2010, 10:28   #3
BHPian

Notice that the jam looks more orderly. Maybe becase I can see no cabs, buses, or autos in the photo. This is in stark contrast to everywhere else in India be it Bangalore, Chennai.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2010, 10:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Just have a look at the following pic & see how much of the constructive time each intelligent mind spends on the steet of Hinjewadi :

Attachment 404839
Hehehehe! I have my own reservations though on this point. . Intelligent minds!!! You should see the roads infront of EGL Tech park in Bangalore Inner Ring road, Domlur. If the companies inside really bothered about the intelligent minds, they could have funded the underpass themselves as it costs only a few crores. You need to be one Mr.Narayanamoorthy to be able to arm twist Govt to make a flyover enter their company campus directly from a National Highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The flyover at Hinjewadi junction is the most idiotic ones. It should have ideally been North-South on NH4 so that the bypass traffic could have taken the flyover, instead of the Hinjewadi outflow using it now.

The least they can do is to build service roads so that at least there is free left at the junction for all traffic going that way so that it will decongest the junction.
+1!! We have no dearth of idiotic minds when constructing flyovers. Any sane person would have wanted to provide unobstructed traffic flow in a national highway. Is it built by NHAI? They seem to have done very good job with flyovers providing unobstructed roads over all towns/cities including Kohlapur. That flyover should have been influenced by some sh*t head in PCMC.

Even if they provide service roads, they should provide them as they did in BLR-Hosur NH7, stretching for atleast a few kilometers before the junction so that people taking a left can take that service lane much before, leaving the main road for NH4 traffic and those taking a right turn.

Nainar
Old 13th August 2010, 11:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Notice that the jam looks more orderly. Maybe becase I can see no cabs, buses, or autos in the photo. This is in stark contrast to everywhere else in India be it Bangalore, Chennai.
Dear DWind,

Hold your breath, here comes another pic showing more orderly cars, but on the other side of the road also. Usually all two wheelers will drive in whatever space they get in between these cars.

Notice the truck in this pic coming on the legal side. What happens if some biker [in wrong lane] is trapped in between the car [in wrong lane] and this truck [in right lane]?

Blame will always be on the truck driver who is driving mannerly.

Hinjewadi Traffic Issues-aa2.jpg
Old 13th August 2010, 11:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think afew solutions are:

To make the Wakad to Hinjewadi road one way in that direction in the morning say 7-11 and make it one way in the other direction in the evening say 5-9. And also to make the other two roads which join Hinjewadi junction and the McD junction from Dange Chowk more driveable and divert some traffic towards that side.

Also, we can make the Pirangut road toll free at least till Hinjewadi and let vehicles pass from that side too. It may be a few kilometers lengthier but its worth it if we can divert the traffic.

But as a second thought, I think it is not that bad when you travel towards Kothrud. Everyday my jam distance is around 3-4 kilometers out of 20 KM that I travel, so I think I can do with it! But yeah! If you have to move ahead towards aundh then it is a pain!!
Old 13th August 2010, 11:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Penning my thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007
each intelligent mind
I would still agree that they're having more common sense. I mean, look at the way the cars are standing following a discipline. How I wish for such scenes here in Chennai. I'd really appreciate people's patience over there.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Dear DWind,

Hold your breath, here comes another pic showing more orderly cars, but on the other side of the road also. Usually all two wheelers will drive in whatever space they get in between these cars.

Notice the truck in this pic coming on the legal side. What happens if some biker [in wrong lane] is trapped in between the car [in wrong lane] and this truck [in right lane]?

Blame will always be on the truck driver who is driving mannerly.

Attachment 404865

But the thing here WDM is that most of the times it is police who ask the cars to be diverted, mainly because the opposite road is empty and once the police does that, you know what happens!
Old 13th August 2010, 11:30   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@WDM. If you have taken the photos, especially the second one, then what were you doing on the other side of the divider? I used to be damn irritated seeing people going on all sides of the divider leading to a gridlock. Sad to see you doing the same.

@anilisanil. Most often I see bikes going on wrong side first. Then cabs then cars. On the return direction, I see most of them breaking rules till the gap in the median before the police checkpost. They forcefully try to merge in traffic before the police checkpost. Many times I've seen police catching violators on the return leg.
With bottlenecks on both ends (near hinjewadi flyover and the hinjewadi phase 1), there's no point in having 6 lane road inbetween. vehicles break free in this stretch and block everything at either ends.

Last edited by MX6 : 13th August 2010 at 11:33.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I have told anyone driving on Pune bypass to avoid going that way in the morning and evening peak hours and ideally take it before 7 am or after 10 pm.
These days, I can sense the traffic almost round the clock. Even if I leave for the office at 8 in the morning, there is traffic jam

What to do ?

Quote:
Road from flyover to hinjewadi Phase I is already doubled in the past couple of years, but still these jams !

Now the price of land has also escalated & touching skies. It is not possibel for the govt also to buy more land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
No cabs & no buses may be the reason. We need to have more buses from nearby areas to make people leave there cars at home.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@WDM. If you have taken the photos, especially the second one, then what were you doing on the other side of the divider?
Good catch there; I assume here that, WDM would've been directed by the cops (like in Bangalore); if its not so, then, sorry my friend, I stand to what MX6 says, you should've not taken the other side unless directed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6
Most often I see bikes going on wrong side first.
No first its the damn cyclists, followed by motorcyclists.
20 years ago, when I used to cycle to school, I used to see most cyclists afraid to even pedal the wrong way. Gradually things took a turn in 2000 when it was common for cyclists but unusual for motorcyclists & when the motorcyclists did, people even scolded.

Come 2010, every day I see a car, not even a cab, a private owned vehicle plying in wrong way & atleast once a month I see a bus doing wrong way. At this rate, by 2020...I don't know what to say, God only help this country.

Last edited by aargee : 13th August 2010 at 11:40. Reason: check spellings
Old 13th August 2010, 11:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
With bottlenecks on both ends (near hinjewadi flyover and the hinjewadi phase 1), there's no point in having 6 lane road inbetween. vehicles break free in this stretch and block everything at either ends.

But do you remember those days when jams used to extend on to the highway (if you are coming from Chandani Chowk). I think the 6 lane road at least act as a buffer from that.

But as I said, the problem (here or elsewhere) takes more than it seems to solve. And it might take decades before someone could think about it! Especially in a city like Pune where the public transport sucks big time!
Old 13th August 2010, 11:55   #13
BHPian

Simple solutions & Plan Solutions

I keep cursing this Traffic everyday (I am sure everyone facing this does). I travel 30kms (one way) everyday and it takes me around 80-90 mins to reach office (30-40 mins to reach wakad flyover which is 24Kms and 30-40 mins for the remaining 6 kms) simply PATHETIC.

The Problem is very simple; there are very less approach roads to Hinjewadi from the direction the major traffic flows in.

There are some very simple solutions to ease this.

Smart Solutions with least effort:
1) Tar the Hinjewadi chowk completely (which was recently widened).

2) Extend dividers end till Hinjewadi chowk and allow uturns in this chowk. (currently is left halfway somewhere near Shell Gas Bunk).

3) Heavy Truck/Tanker Traffic should compulsary use the Wakad-Marunji road.

4) Increase the City Bus Transport Traffic to Hinjewadi. I am sure if one is gauranteed a city bus every 10 mins during the peak hours and every 20 mins the non-peak hours to the prominent (multiple & not just Pune Corp.) city areas atleast 25-30% will opt for it. Provide them A/C buses with more expensive tickets; I am sure if one is gauranteed of the service transport they will still opt for it.

Plan Solutions like:
1) Extend the Mhaulunge road till the Hinjewadi (which may land somewhere near Phase I cognizant). This road can act as active gateway for all the Baner, Kothrud & Katraj folks.

2) Extend the Pirangute road if possible with early diversion to Hinjewadi.

3) Create proper and wide Hinjewadi entry & exits on Mum-Blr bypass to-fro Hinjewadi. These exists should offer clearway from the octroi booths which currently block the traffic during entry. Entering on bypass from Hinjewadi should be a small flyover we normally see in like US.

4) Build one more flyover(accross (+) over the existing one) for the already Toll paying bypass traffic in the right direction.

5) Extend the metro/rail/local to Hinjewadi on priority in the implementation Phase1 of metro planning for Pune.

6) Road with 2 lanes on each side is useless (that includes the bypass). The new roads as mentioned above should be planned/built with atleast 3 lanes (I am saying atleast i.e. where wide roads are not possible at all) & minimum 4 lanes. The chowks are the main bottlenecks so they should be ultrawide with end-to-end dividers.

I think the high revenue creating & high tax paying companies & people deserve atleast this much if not anything else.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:59   #14
BHPian

This mad jam is just the traffic heading mainly towards Phase I & II, what about when Phase III goes fully operational?
People regularly getting in & out of Hinjewadi pretty much like to stick to their lanes, ofcourse there is the occasional moron, but nevertheless.
More flyovers????
Old 13th August 2010, 12:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Time to build a new Pune bypass or elevated road, the city has grown.

Most Viewed