Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 21:58   #61
BHPian

Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

Hi Folks

Can anybody advice on this issue?

Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 17:35   #62
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Need some advise!! My license expired couple of weeks back. I am currently in Mumbai but my license was issued in Pune. When I checked with local motor driving schools, they say that I need to get NOC from Pune RTO, if I have to apply for renewal in Mumbai. The RTO website says that NOC is required only for different state licenses. Now, which is true? If I can avoid going to Pune for NOC, it will be the best.

Regards
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:49   #63
BHPian

Re: The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread

My driving license of India has expired (issued at Ajmer), since I presently do not have an address proof of Ajmer, I cannot get it renewed. I have an address proof of New Delhi, my residence coming under the Janakpuri RTO, but I shall have to apply for a new license. What I have found out is after the day of application, I shall be issued a learner's license and only after 30 days can I apply for the permanent license. I am based at Oman and have obtained an International Driving Permit from here. In the list of countries where it is valid, India is listed. During my visits to India, I have been driving at Delhi and Kolkata - fortunately not stopped by the police for checking. I would like to confirm if I am within the legal framework as I am sure, most traffic policewalas would not know what is an International driving permit. By the way, at Oman, people holding IDP can only drive 'rent a cars'.
Old 20th November 2015, 14:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to renew the DL a few years before its expiry date?

My DL is a piece of paper 3 inches by 8 inches with my photo on it and I am using it for the last 14 - 15 years, folded in two and laminated. Has been re-laminated a few times, but now even that does not seem possible.
It is due to expire in 2019. Wondering if it is possible to get it renewed before time, I might as well opt for that and not worry for next 10 years.
Old 20th November 2015, 15:32   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Is it possible to renew the DL a few years before its expiry date?
No, you can't. You will get a new one, but with same validity.
Old 21st November 2015, 13:03   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
When I checked with local motor driving schools, they say that I need to get NOC from Pune RTO, if I have to apply for renewal in Mumbai. The RTO website says that NOC is required only for different state licenses. Now, which is true?
Checked on this while getting my renewal processed.

Apparently NOC is required for change in RTO office jurisdiction basis the new address even between the Mumbai offices itself.
Old 21st November 2015, 17:29   #67
BHPian

Listing below the steps for renewal of DL in Mumbai (MH-01) for cases where there was a book type DL to be renewed as a Smart Card.

Procedure may be similar across all other RTOs in the state. Counter numbers not mentioned since they differ basis the year of issue of the book type DL. However, the officials were very co-operative and one may enquire on the next step at the time of completion of each of the steps listed.

Forms for Renewal :
  • Form 1 (Application-cum-declaration as to physical fitness).
  • Form 1-A (Medical Certificate).
  • Form 9 (Form of application for the renewal of Driving License).

The above Forms may be downloaded from the following link :
http://mahatranscom.in/formsfees.aspx

Additional Forms for Smart Card issuance :
  • Form for Smart Card issuance.
  • Declaration form for destruction of DL.
These 2 additional forms are available outside the entrance gate.

Post filling all the forms and pasting photographs at the indicated places, have the Form 1-A (Medical Certificate) signed off by the approved Medical Officer (outside the entrance gate).

Steps for renewal :
  1. Go to the appropriate counter (number may be checked at enquiry counter - it is basis the year of issue of the book type DL) for retrieving the original application documents.
  2. Attach the retrieved original documents to the set of above forms filled alongwith the original book DL and obtain the Officer's approval (signature) for renewal as smart card.
  3. Pay the fees for renewal + smart card issuance at the payment counter.
  4. Await your turn for capture of biometric details for the smart card, post which you are through.

Tips :
  • Take a photocopy of your original book DL for reference / use, since the original has to be surrenderred.
  • The process is smooth and can be done in person by the applicant without special assistance of agents.
  • For MH-01, the cash counter is not open on Saturday, so if you want to finish the renewal process the same day, go only between Monday to Friday.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 06:22   #68
Senior - BHPian

I am trying to understand the process for renewing the Driving License in Bangalore. I would be going to the same RTO where it was originally issued.

After going thru the below URL:
http://www.rto.kar.nic.in/RDL-PROCcss.html

Is there any fitness or medical certificate that needs to be produced when the Individual is below the age of 40 at the time of renewal?

Also my license expires post June. How many months earlier to expiry can I renew the license or do I need to wait until it expires?
Old 30th January 2016, 08:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Also my license expires post June. How many months earlier to expiry can I renew the license or do I need to wait until it expires?
I tried renewing my license 3 months before the expiry but they refused. It has to be within 1 month before expiry or can be done after expiry.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 20:34   #70
BHPian

A query regarding legal window available for driving once license is expired and renewal is pending with RTO. My license expired on 29/May. I did apply for renewal with in the 30 day window on 06/May, but haven't received the renewed license yet. Upon enquiring at the RTO, I was told that its taking time since I had a book license and converting that to card is a slow process with the current backlog. They expect it to be ready in another two weeks.

I do have the slip issued by the RTO acknowledging my application for renewal. Is that good enough for driving vehicles until I get the renewed license ? Will I get in to any legal trouble (including insurance related) in case I get in to any unfortunate incidents during this period ?

A quick search on google did not give any conclusive results, hence the question to experts & experienced.

Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 12:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

This is a query regarding conversion of DL into smart card. Just looking for some inputs from those who have recently experienced it (preferably the karnataka ones,Blr)

I have two wheeler license from a different city, and later got the LMV added from the Bangalore KA-03 RTO.

Now i stay near KR puram, KA-53 RTO.

So my queries:
1. Do i need to go to same RTO which last processed my DL, or i can visit any RTO ? Is there any requirement such as RTO serving my present address ?
2. If i go to same RTO, will they accept my new address which does not fall under their area
3. As i dont believe in approaching agents, how much time should i set aside for running around ? Will it be a simple, fill a form, pay the challan and wait for card to be delivered by post ? Or i need to visit RTO multiple times to process this ?

Feel free to add anything if i have missed out.
Old 9th June 2016, 12:42   #72
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Just looking for some inputs from those who have recently experienced it (preferably the karnataka ones,Blr)

3. As i dont believe in approaching agents, how much time should i set aside for running around ? Will it be a simple, fill a form, pay the challan and wait for card to be delivered by post ? Or i need to visit RTO multiple times to process this ?
While I'm not sure about which RTO you need to visit (my guess is that it will be the RTO that has the jurisdiction for your current address), I'm totally with you regarding agents - there is absolutely no need if all paper work is done properly. No need to visit multiple time as well if you have all things in order, see my earlier post from 2013 on this thread for the details - here.

*Note that the medical certificate (Signed by government doctor) is mandatory and once you have that, everything else is quite simple like address proof, etc

Last edited by NPV : 9th June 2016 at 12:44.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2016, 14:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:

So my queries:
1. Do i need to go to same RTO which last processed my DL, or i can visit any RTO ? Is there any requirement such as RTO serving my present address ?
2. If i go to same RTO, will they accept my new address which does not fall under their area.
You have to go the RTO, that comes under Your current locality (KRPura).
The other RTO will not process Your application.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 9th June 2016 at 14:10.
Old 30th June 2016, 17:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
This is a query regarding conversion of DL into smart card. Just looking for some inputs from those who have recently experienced it (preferably the karnataka ones,Blr)

I have two wheeler license from a different city, and later got the LMV added from the Bangalore KA-03 RTO.

Now i stay near KR puram, KA-53 RTO.

Feel free to add anything if i have missed out.
Flashback: I got my two wheeler DL from Kerala, a few years later I moved to Bangalore and changed it to Karnataka with my Bangalore address at that time. While it had the KA government graphics, the old DL number was retained and issuing authority was still listed as the RTO in Kerala. KA-03 Bangalore East was the KA RTO where I got it done.

Present day: The 20 years have gone by and the dreaded day approached. My address changed, now it is a different locality in Bangalore.

Quote:
I'd say the RTO was not scrutinizing the address or its jurisdiction at present. The place I live is listed under KA-05 (http://rto.kar.nic.in/Jurisdictioncss.html) but at KA-51 they were either lax or it does not matter. Same should be applicable to you too.
Quote:
2. If i go to same RTO, will they accept my new address which does not fall under their area
Clueless about that. I'd say you give KA-53 a try. It has KR Puram listed in the link I shared above.
Quote:
It took 2 hours for me today. No bribe paid, no agents were involved and the staff were helpful and the office was reasonably well managed. (Only irritation was the unscrupulous driving school folks who sneak in bypassing the queues for each counter).

I would say you procure the required forms well in advance and reach the place with it duly filled. Have the medical certificate in the prescribed format ready, a self addressed envelope with 17 Rs worth of stamps for speed post, a small pouch to hold the old license, valid address proofs and three passport sized photos. Actual process is about 10 - 15 minutes, but various queues will take most of your time. For me the staff in the first counter explained the process and wrote down the sequence, that was extremely helpful. In about two hours time we were done, the new license should be reaching us in less than 30 days via speed post.

If your documentation is solid, it would be something like two or three hours maximum. Going early has its benefits, one the cash counter closes then you may have to return on a later day.

It cost me 321 Rs for license renewal and address change and that included the fees for the Smart Card. My wife had to pay 271 Rs for changing her address and shifting to a Smart Card. That was all it cost us inside the office.(Outside around 35 Rs per person for the forms bought from the vendors near by and the self addressed envelope with stamps worth 17 Rupees and a plastic pouch to hold the old license)

Yes, it was a simple fill a form, pay the challan (get the bio-metrics done) and wait for the card. Good Luck, the world has changed and for the better.

Last edited by sun_king : 30th June 2016 at 17:03. Reason: Added a missing fact
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 22:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
Flashback: I got my two wheeler DL from Kerala, a few years later I moved to Bangalore and changed it to Karnataka with my Bangalore address at that time. While it had the KA government graphics, the old DL number was retained and issuing authority was still listed as the RTO in Kerala. KA-03 Bangalore East was the KA RTO where I got it done.

Present day: The 20 years have gone by and the dreaded day approached. My address changed, now it is a different locality in Bangalore.

I'd say the RTO was not scrutinizing the address or its jurisdiction at present. The place I live is listed under KA-05 (http://rto.kar.nic.in/Jurisdictioncss.html) but at KA-51 they were either lax or it does not matter. Same should be applicable to you too.

Clueless about that. I'd say you give KA-53 a try. It has KR Puram listed in the link I shared above.

It took 2 hours for me today. No bribe paid, no agents were involved and the staff were helpful and the office was reasonably well managed. (Only irritation was the unscrupulous driving school folks who sneak in bypassing the queues for each counter).

I would say you procure the required forms well in advance and reach the place with it duly filled. Have the medical certificate in the prescribed format ready, a self addressed envelope with 17 Rs worth of stamps for speed post, a small pouch to hold the old license, valid address proofs and three passport sized photos. Actual process is about 10 - 15 minutes, but various queues will take most of your time. For me the staff in the first counter explained the process and wrote down the sequence, that was extremely helpful. In about two hours time we were done, the new license should be reaching us in less than 30 days via speed post.

If your documentation is solid, it would be something like two or three hours maximum. Going early has its benefits, one the cash counter closes then you may have to return on a later day.

It cost me 321 Rs for license renewal and address change and that included the fees for the Smart Card. My wife had to pay 271 Rs for changing her address and shifting to a Smart Card. That was all it cost us inside the office.(Outside around 35 Rs per person for the forms bought from the vendors near by and the self addressed envelope with stamps worth 17 Rupees and a plastic pouch to hold the old license)

Yes, it was a simple fill a form, pay the challan (get the bio-metrics done) and wait for the card. Good Luck, the world has changed and for the better.
Thanks for the detailed report. With digitization and online, lot of things should be streamlined and corruption free.

One more doubt, I have around 4 yrs before i need to renew my license. If i convert it to smart card, i might have to renew it again after 4 years right ?

And i guess i dont require medical certificate for just smart card conversion and address change

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks