Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:15   #541
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
All the insurance in the world won't be able to cover the period of time that the bike gets grounded at the workshop waiting for spares. Frame sliders, fork sliders, swingarm sliders, lever protectors (or spare levers) sometimes make all the difference in the world. The difference between picking up the bike and riding on after a minor slide/drop, OR having to wait for a truck to cart it back instead.

Stay safe, ride hard.
Sriku
If you see I have saved it for later as I don't have funds for it. The whole list might cost me more than 50K and that's a lot. Agree on damage protection and delayed repair time. Presently little extra cautious to save the green. Your bike seems to have all the envious add-ons, hope to get them all. Planning on going to bikerbitz in Thailand directly to get the stuff. Whats your suggestion?
Old 23rd January 2015, 12:29   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
If you see I have saved it for later as I don't have funds for it. The whole list might cost me more than 50K and that's a lot. Agree on damage protection and delayed repair time. Presently little extra cautious to save the green. Your bike seems to have all the envious add-ons, hope to get them all. Planning on going to bikerbitz in Thailand directly to get the stuff. Whats your suggestion?
Visaster, I mean no offence in my earlier post. But I am a firm believer in adding protection bits first, and any performance bits later. FlyBy Moto on facebook offer less expensive swing arm spools with delrin sliders on them (1500/-), have ordered one set after hearing good things about the product. 10k for Puig or other brand of frame sliders is not a large enough amount to delay acquisition I would imagine. Following which, you can make a wishlist of stuff you want from bikers thailand, clipons, engine case covers, fork sliders, bar ends etc. I would highly recommend upgrading the brake lines to steel braided lines from HEL or Galfer as early as possible, as these improve the stock brakes to a very large extent. A set of HID headlamps (approx 8k) go a long way in improving night time visibility, so you could consider adding those to your wishlist.
The best upgrade you can make in terms of both protection and safety remain the tyres. So keep aside 25k once a year (as per your mileage) for those. The intention is not to flaunt all these bits and bobs, or customize your bike to make it unique. The intention remains staying as safe as possible.
At the very least, frame and swing arm sliders (totally about 13k) should be your first set of addons in my opinion. A not very expensive amount to save any dents/scratches to your bike/ego.
Old 23rd January 2015, 15:03   #543
BHPian

I kind of agree with the above post. Here is the list of things I got on my bike (for biking), in that order. And the things I have plannned for later, in the order I want to add them.

Have -
0. HJC helmet (had earlier)
1. Frame Sliders
2. Swingarm spools
3. Riding gloves
4. Riding jacket
5. Tank Pad
6. Exhaust
7. K&N filter

Want to add -
1. Fork protectors
2. Riding boots (ordered, should arrive soon)
3. Brake pads
4. Braided lines
5. Double Bubble windscreen
6. PC V
7. Tyres - Whenever they wear out
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 13:45   #544
Senior - BHPian

Considering we have a long detailed thread on "power horns" on this forum, I'm surprised no one has felt the need of a more powerful horn on this motorcycle. The OE singleton is just too weak for the Indian road users.
So has anybody added a set of horns with or without a relay on their 650?
Old 29th January 2015, 13:47   #545
BHPian

While I agree that the OE horn is weak, I am more of a "defensive" rider in traffic and rarely end up using the horn. But check out redlineplus.in, they have a fabricated bracket that will help to mount additional horns.

++ I have just added the radiator guard from them and the quality is superb.
Old 30th January 2015, 13:00   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
I Here is the list of things I got on my bike
6. Exhaust
Quote:
But check out redlineplus.in, they have a fabricated bracket that will help to mount additional horns.
You got the whole new exhaust? Then a PC V should be high on your wish list.

Checked the website, they didn't have any brackets for horns. But an interesting 80 W H7 Phillips Rally bulb ~ 350/- which I think can be used without a relay.
Old 30th January 2015, 15:50   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post

Checked the website, they didn't have any brackets for horns. But an interesting 80 W H7 Phillips Rally bulb ~ 350/- which I think can be used without a relay.
Yeah man, have asked for it, lets see how quickly I can get it. Also, thinking of the Autotune, seems to be a great add on especially considering the variations in climate in India....

I wonder where I saw the horn bracket, will try to look and post the link for you.

Here is the revised list on my bike now -
Have -
1. Frame Sliders
2. Swingarm spools
3. Riding gloves
4. Riding jacket
5. Tank Pad
6. Exhaust
7. K&N filter
8. Radiator guard

Want to add -
1. PC V
2. Dynojet Autotune
3. Fork protectors
4. Riding boots (ordered, should arrive soon)
5. Brake pads (ordered, should arrive soon)
6. Braided lines
7. Double Bubble windscreen
8. Tyres - Whenever they wear out

Last edited by killjoy : 30th January 2015 at 15:52.
Old 7th February 2015, 10:39   #548
BHPian

My bike was running lean especially in the higher RPM range in gears 1 and 2 and near the redline in 3rd and 4th. Have also ordered PC V now to fix this issue. Should have it with me by around 17Th. Can't wait for it to see the full potential of this bike now.
Old 25th March 2015, 14:59   #549
BHPian

Just a quick update on the status of my bike now -

Have -
1. Puig Pro Frame Sliders
2. Swingarm spools from Amazon.com
3. Thor Riding gloves
4. Triumph Riding jacket
5. Tank Pad
6. IXIL Dual Superlow full system Exhaust
7. K&N filter
8. Radiator guard from redlineplus.in
9. PC V running with Cliff Randal's map
10. Joe Rocket RX14 Riding Boots
11. Venhill Steel braided brake lines front and rear
12. BRP clutch springs
13. Driven Racing Block off plate

Want to add -
1. Tyres - Whenever they wear out
2. Dynojet Autotune
3. Fork protectors
4. Double Bubble windscreen
5. Brake pads (ordered and have them with me but not on the bike yet)
6. Sports Bars
7. Better Levers

As you can see, there are items moving from the bottom half of the list to the top half but also newer items getting added to the bottom list

I got both the pads and braided lines together but decided to just put on the braided lines to see how much of a difference they made by themselves and then change the pads after a couple of days to see the combined effect. From just a days riding after changing the lines, it is obvious that the sponginess of the brake lever feel is gone away with the lines but the stopping power is almost the same with the original pads.
Old 28th March 2015, 13:43   #550
BHPian

Quote:

Leslie, here is the link for the horn bracket -
http://shop.redlineplus.in/2-clips-b...-clip-set.html
Old 28th March 2015, 19:00   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From just a days riding after changing the lines, it is obvious that the sponginess of the brake lever feel is gone away with the lines but the stopping power is almost the same with the original pads.
I got the EBC extreme pro pads and kept the stock lines. There was a big improvement in the stopping power. Yes, the taut feel of steel braided lines is not there, but I can happily live with that.

The IXIL silencer sounds great on the youtube videos. Would love to hear it in real life. Must meet up.
Quote:
Leslie, here is the link for the horn bracket -
http://shop.redlineplus.in/2-clips-b...-clip-set.html
Thanks. Has any one added a pair of horns, and if so where is the cut out mounted?
Old 28th March 2015, 19:20   #552
BHPian

Yeah man, should meet sometime, been a while since we started chatting here

I will get the pads on soon.
Old 31st March 2015, 12:53   #553
Senior - BHPian

Is there a speedo error in the Ninja 650?

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sh...ml#Question_30 indicates speedo shows 7 to 9 % more than actual. I did a theoretical calculation and find that what I observe practically is very close to the theoretical calculations. So IMO there is no speedo error.

Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review-untitled.jpg

If any owners could compare their GPS or other methods to calculate true speed, and give an answer it would be great. The above table was calculated with OE wheels with the wheel circumference measured manually and then applied the reductions ratios. In my 2000+ kms of riding I find the speedo to show 90 kmph @ 4000, 110 @5000, 130 @ 6000, that is about 20 kmph for every 1000 rpm.
Old 31st March 2015, 14:01   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a speedo error in the Ninja 650?

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sh...ml#Question_30 indicates speedo shows 7 to 9 % more than actual. I did a theoretical calculation and find that what I observe practically is very close to the theoretical calculations. So IMO there is no speedo error.

Attachment 1355721

If any owners could compare their GPS or other methods to calculate true speed, and give an answer it would be great. The above table was calculated with OE wheels with the wheel circumference measured manually and then applied the reductions ratios. In my 2000+ kms of riding I find the speedo to show 90 kmph @ 4000, 110 @5000, 130 @ 6000, that is about 20 kmph for every 1000 rpm.
For the 6th gear, speed-per-1000 RPM is 21.48kmph/1000RPM.
For me, the difference between the actual and the indicated speed is around 4 kmph. When I say actual, it calculated based on the the indicated RPM on the tachometer. I found this difference to be a constant at least till 6000 RPM (on the 6th gear). Beyond that range, I never tried to check the difference for obvious reasons . I heard the pre-2012 models had some significant % error deviation.

NOTE: Next time you want to calculate the speed with various gear ratios/tyres/sprockets, use this link

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Last edited by shan_ned : 31st March 2015 at 14:04.
Old 11th April 2015, 00:37   #555
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to use OWS synthomax (5W60) engine oil,along with their engine flush and Engine.

Has anyone used this before?
Any suggestions on using the OWS synthomax, or should I stay with Motul 10W40.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks