Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 11:30   #406
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklock View Post
Confirmed with Probiking in Dehradun.
Hinted on road price: Slightly above 5 lacs. (Taxes are much lower here)
Delivery time: Approximately 30 days, deliveries starting August 2012
Booking amount: 50 k
Colour options: Green, ORANGE. That orange is news to me. Maybe he meant the passion red they have abroad. I'll see if I can find some pics & post them here.
Good to know that it is indeed coming. But 30days delivery time and deliveries starting only in august -- does it mean the booking starts only in July and not in June as per info from bangalore dealer?? Its getting a bit irritating and only if there were other options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
In August 2012, they will start delivering '12 models. That is 5 months to go before 2013. They will sell few '12 bikes and ask customers to wait (again) for 2013 model?

Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, cash on this opportunity. CBF's, FZ-6/FJR's and SV's would spice things up for sure and provide potential customers with a wider option. Hyosung GT being the only competitor.

More choices would mean better deal and customer can really pick what they wish w/o end-less wait.
Lack of competition means bajaj-kawasaki can take their own time with the 650r. Atleast they were very reasonable with the pricing last time and hopefully would continue the same this time also. I dont think we would be waiting for a 2013 model after august. The previous model was introduced in 2009, so the next should be around 2014 or 2015 right?

Also wondering they're not introducing the ABS models, atleast as an option. We've have ABS on CBRs and RTRs.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:49   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Good to know that it is indeed coming. But 30days delivery time and deliveries starting only in august -- does it mean the booking starts only in July and not in June as per info from bangalore dealer?? Its getting a bit irritating and only if there were other options

Lack of competition means bajaj-kawasaki can take their own time with the 650r. Atleast they were very reasonable with the pricing last time and hopefully would continue the same this time also. I dont think we would be waiting for a 2013 model after august. The previous model was introduced in 2009, so the next should be around 2014 or 2015 right?

Also wondering they're not introducing the ABS models, atleast as an option. We've have ABS on CBRs and RTRs.
If you're planning to buy anything bigger than a middleweight or thereabouts, I'm starting to think that a little patience now for about a year or so may be a good idea. Here's why:

1) Ducati may finally turn things around under Audi (who already have first hand experience with His Majesty Mr. Chordia and will probably have more sense than to just let Ducati continue to humiliate itself in India). FYI, we already have a working Ducati workshop in Gurgaon and things will hopefully only get better under the new owners.

2) Triumph will be here with comparitively reasonably priced (as "reasonable prices" go in India) & competent bikes.

3) The Indo-EU FTA will hopefully make some progress. Expect big duty cuts on EU-built cars & motorcycles once that goes through, bringing Indian prices a lot closer to the EU prices instead of the patently ridiculous premium we're being charged as of today. Once that happens, it seems concievable that the Japanese will be able to get some sort of accommodation as well. (They're already complaining about the FTA not being offered to them despite their investments in the Indian market in the growing stages, when none of the European marques wanted to invest here).

4) The Ninja 650 will certainly be here and will have spent a few months in the market by then. So you might like it - or not. You'll get some time to compare and decide because the likely alternatives will also all be here by then. I mean, if you're looking for an out & out sportsbike - its significantly revamped, but its certainly not from the Ninja family (Daddy and Mummy were probably not Ninjas - more likely, they were humdrum sports tourers). More than anything, its Ninja moniker is a marketing gimmick to push sales. A model revamp is not likely in 2013, because the 650 got a good going over very recently and Kawasaki do not fiddle with their models as often as Honda do. And even Honda are cutting back on new product makeovers in today's recession-dreading world. So I don't think you have a concern there.

Overall, I'm thinking that the scene today is much better than it was last year and the way I see it, it can only get better in the current market scenario.

Or maybe the Government Of India will manage to scuttle a promising scene. Er...yes, that looks more likely.

Last edited by Brocklock : 29th May 2012 at 10:56. Reason: I am stupid and cannot spell correctly. Thank you.
Brocklock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 19:32   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklock View Post
If you're planning to buy anything bigger than a middleweight or thereabouts, I'm starting to think that a little patience now for about a year or so may be a good idea. Here's why:

3) The Indo-EU FTA will hopefully make some progress. Expect big duty cuts on EU-built cars & motorcycles once that goes through, bringing Indian prices a lot closer to the EU prices instead of the patently ridiculous premium we're being charged as of today.
Thats music to my ears Brocklock. I have been hoping to see the BMW motorcycles being priced with some semblance of sanity, if this happens a lot of dreams are going to come true !
Old 30th May 2012, 15:11   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plimsollmark View Post
Thats music to my ears Brocklock. I have been hoping to see the BMW motorcycles being priced with some semblance of sanity, if this happens a lot of dreams are going to come true !
If it happens. Right now, a lot of people are trying really hard to make sure it doesn't. For example, those Indian companies who've made billions in a protected market and have no desire whatsoever to compete with European manufacturers on even tax terms, because they are sure that their products don't stand a chance.

These companies are claiming that being indigenous, they need to be protected from the foreign manufacturers. This when they themselves own entire foreign companies. This is what makes us great!

PS: For more info on this, google "Indo-EU Free trade agreement / FTA"

Last edited by Brocklock : 30th May 2012 at 15:12.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:38   #410
BHPian

A few members on a popular online biking forum have come up with the news that the bookings for the N650 2012 have opened and the price is Rs 5.8 L OTR (Bangalore) and about 5.6L OTR (Ahmedabad).

Can someone please confirm the veracity of these claims and news?
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:14   #411
BHPian

Hey Narula, the Ahmedabad price was posted by me. I'd been to PBK and also met the zonal manager. They've yet again 'assured' me that the bookings will open in July's 3rd week. Prices up by 50k on account of increased duties and road tax structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
A few members on a popular online biking forum have come up with the news that the bookings for the N650 2012 have opened and the price is Rs 5.8 L OTR (Bangalore) and about 5.6L OTR (Ahmedabad).

Can someone please confirm the veracity of these claims and news?
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:34   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Hey Narula, the Ahmedabad price was posted by me. I'd been to PBK and also met the zonal manager. They've yet again 'assured' me that the bookings will open in July's 3rd week. Prices up by 50k on account of increased duties and road tax structure.
Thanks for the heads-up Lionell. Well I am assuming that the 50k increase is on the OTR price which will make it 5.2L OTR Dehradun.

So the August commitment from the doon PBK guy wasnt all that false. Guess its time to look into the piggy bank.

My only issue is the Street Triple. Assuming a Diwali launch and an OTR price of about 6.2 lakhs, a 100+ bhp 3cyl engine and a better handling package, it really makes a mouth-watering alternative to the Ninja.

Ok. Now I am confused. Help ?
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:19   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up Lionell. Well I am assuming that the 50k increase is on the OTR price which will make it 5.2L OTR Dehradun.

So the August commitment from the doon PBK guy wasnt all that false. Guess its time to look into the piggy bank.

My only issue is the Street Triple. Assuming a Diwali launch and an OTR price of about 6.2 lakhs, a 100+ bhp 3cyl engine and a better handling package, it really makes a mouth-watering alternative to the Ninja.

Ok. Now I am confused. Help ?
Yes the August commitment seems to be realistic since its about time and I am being very very optimistic.

As afar as the Street Triple is concerned specs and price sound mouthwatering... if it suits your purpose though. Mine for example is long distance touring for which a fairing and windscreen would help fight the wind. Not that you cannot do without them, I've done 700+ kms a day on the naked comet 250. They've got their own pro's and con's and my inclination is the Ninja since it serves me just right.

My main criteria were
1) Touring friendly i.e. both single and two up with my wife.
2) Fuel friendly i.e. 91 grade octane since I might end up on desolate roads.
3) Low end torque
4) Maintenance i.e. the friendly probiking guy
5) My general liking towards Kawasaki products.

If you think the Triple tickles your fascination. Then go for it. But when is it being launched? I don't see any news bites on Triumph in India anymore.
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:25   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
If you think the Triple tickles your fascination. Then go for it. But when is it being launched? I don't see any news bites on Triumph in India anymore.
Its been too long since Triumph moved a muscle towards its India operations. Plus the fear of being stuck with a lemon always looms large with a new entrant into the market. After hearing the Ducati and Hyosung customer woes, I am a little wary on the after-sales front. But then again, newbies like HD have not given the customers too much of a reason to crib on that account. Hence, some good apples and some bad ones in the basket. Which way will Triumph lean is anyone's guess right now. With Kawa-Bajaj atleast you have the peace-of-mind on that front.

My needs are quite a mixed bag and that is why I am super confused between the two.
1. 70% city riding with 30% touring thrown in.
2. An occasional track day once in a year. CSS Maybe? Who knows.
3. I love faired bikes over naked ones anyday.
4. But I also love a slightly sporty riding position over the commuter style of the N650.
5. Yes, finding anything above 91RON can be a pain in non-metros.
6. The 103bhp vs the 72 leaves me speechless. Not to mention are the exhaust notes. The Ninja sounds like a tractor compared to the Triumph's wild growl.
7. With a budget constraint of 6 lakhs, I cant go for anything bigger. So this bike shall be with me for atleast 4-5 years before I think of a change.

Now you know why I am confused.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:29   #415
BHPian

Called the Bangalore Probiking showroom. Apparently they are expecting the release end of this month. Expected price 5.85 L.

I was promised a call back by a courteous lady on the phone.
Old 28th August 2012, 16:40   #416
BHPian

I called the bajaj probiking in bangalore, and beleive me i think its not going to come at all. They replied back that they have no info from the company what so ever.
Old 28th August 2012, 21:19   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag_kv View Post
I called the bajaj probiking in bangalore, and beleive me i think its not going to come at all. They replied back that they have no info from the company what so ever.
If you are interested, visit KTM store on 1-SEP-2012 @ 9:30AM. They are conducting a lucky draw. They have 5 bikes and will be allotting as per results of lucky draw.
Old 29th August 2012, 10:48   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sag_kv View Post
I was at the Indiranagar probiking center yesterday and they told me that bookings are not open for everyone, there are few old bookings that are not being delivered and for those people there would be lot happening on 1st Sept at 9 AM. Only after that the new bookings would happen. The delivery is expected to happen only from October.
Tommie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 10:14   #419
BHPian

Thank you tommie for the info, why is that kawasaki is keeping people wait so long , they are doinb a big mistake and potentially lose many buyers who may shift to other brands which are soon to introduce there 650 models
Old 30th August 2012, 12:03   #420
Senior - BHPian

Did some one install a Gate / sorry gaurd ?

Kawasaki Ninja 650R : Test Ride & Review-6.jpg

Last edited by black12rr : 30th August 2012 at 12:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks