Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2014, 13:11   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Would you like to be the person sitting at the back who's the first to test how sound your theory really is?
I actually used my wife to test it out yesterday . I wouldn't be found sitting pillion on any bike, period .
Old 19th February 2014, 14:44   #227
Senior - BHPian

Some stickering job today from ideas shared by other harley owners on this forum -

Some orange radium and blower gun at work so it doesn't peel on washing
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-stickering_1.jpg

The finished job
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-stickering_2.jpg

A close-up of the finishing
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-stickering_3.jpg

And some Willie G Skull radium job too
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-stickering_4.jpg

And some radium for the pillion seat too
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-stickering_5.jpg

The final look
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-stickering_6.jpg

Next job is to fabricate a Sissy Bar that one of my mates just did at his factory with powder coating et al. Quite good finishing on closer inspection...

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sissy-bar_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sissy-bar_2.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sissy-bar_3.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 19th February 2014 at 14:57.
dkaile is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 18:40   #228
Senior - BHPian

How to : Flipped Mirrors on a Harley Davidson Sportster
Old 28th February 2014, 09:33   #229
Senior - BHPian

PC buys a Pink Harley Superlow!

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-pc-buys-pink-superlow.jpg

Planning to remove the Pillion for sometime. This guy is 6'1", 100kgs and uses mid-mounts on his Superlow!

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-superlow-forum-picture.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 28th February 2014 at 09:35.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 10:53   #230
Senior - BHPian

Had a wonderful 95 kms early morning ride this Saturday. Bike crossed the 2.2K mark. Breached 150 today for the first time ever in my life on 2 wheels. The bike still had enought torque left in reserve and maybe needs a full face helmet to breach its top speed too.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-08032014_2.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-08032014_3.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-08032014_1.jpg

Cheers...
Old 9th March 2014, 15:05   #231
Senior - BHPian

Following up on yesterday's ride we once again ventured out today, this time out on the unbeaten track, for a 115kms of a wonderful ride towards Ram Rajya on Bijnore route. There were bad roads and then there were none... The Superlow glided over all of them with aplomb.

We were pleasantly surprised to find this gem of a place in the middle of this wilderness called Monty's Millions on the Bijnore turn after Ram Rajya -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-09032014_1.jpg

The new and old version of the 'Low' looking handsome with the 48. The Screamin Eagles have really opened up to a nice growl. At least I don't feel like sitting on a "Singer Sewing Machine" each time I drive this beauty .
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-09032014_2.jpg

Visited a prehistoric mandir on a beaten village road filled with 2 feet potholes, all of which were managed without issues, unlike what the Harley critics may want you to believe.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-09032014_3.jpg

Beautiful Mango Orchards filled the background of this undiscovered track.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-09032014_4.jpg

The road was broken and can best be described as a gravel path for some distance.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-09032014_5.jpg

115kms of bliss.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-ride-09032014_6.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 9th March 2014 at 15:07.
Old 15th March 2014, 13:15   #232
Senior - BHPian

Removed the pillion seat.

I had ordered a extra nut with lock from JPcycles - http://www.jpcycles.com/product/8200095#! for the pillion seat. I already had an extra screw from a mate. This makes the job of replacing the pillion much easier at my convenience and becomes a 5 minutes job to put it back when required.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-seat-mount-nut.jpg

Here's how the bike looks without the pillion. Notice the extra nut where the pillion seat fastened instead of just a black plastic washer.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-without-pillion_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-without-pillion_2.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 15th March 2014 at 13:17.
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:32   #233
Senior - BHPian

In continuation to the previous fitment of Vance & Hines Straight Shots Staggered Exhausts (part #17227), got this Vance & Hines equipment for my friend's Fat Bob from JP Cycles and fitted it today -

Vance & Hines VO2 Free Flowing Air Intake Kit
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-vance-hines-vo2-free-flow-air-intake-kit_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-vance-hines-vo2-free-flow-air-intake-kit_2.jpg

& Vance & Hines LCD Fuelpak
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-vance-hines-lcd-fuelpak_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-vance-hines-lcd-fuelpak_2.jpg

in hand size
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-vance-hines-lcd-fuelpak_3.jpg

Now point to be asserted was that the Straight Shots should NEVER be used alone as they can damage the engine due to their ultra free flowing nature. They have to be used in conjunction with a Free Flow Air Intake kit and with the FuelPak piggy riding on the ECU. So this equipment was bought in. Fitting took about 1 hour for both and was a pretty simple affair with the installation instructions included.

Point to be careful about -
1. The left side ECU cover needs to be opened up and further semi detached from the body by removing 2 top bolts (under the seat) and one centre bolt holding it in place. Without doing this the Fuel Pak wire cannot be routed through with the final resting place of the fuelpak being under the seat.
2. The original cover of the Air Filter is reused without any body below it!! Now the air suction is from the entire open rear of the cover! Except the cover the entire kit is supplied by V&H with a oil lubricated filter element.
3. The following settings need to be carefully entered in the fuelpak which were created on their website after entering correct equipment like the model of the exhausts etc.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-fuelpak-settings-dyna-96-shortshots-17227.jpg

Observation post install -
The bike has smoothened tremendously as the engine is breathing more freely. The exhaust note has reduced marginally as the engine is not sounding constipated anymore and there is less stress on it now. Acceleration and BHP figures have increased by about 15%.

This Fat Bob is one delicious package now...
---------------
Planned a drive down to Nainital with 6 of our 'Mutineers' joining the Capital Chapter on the 18th to 20th of April. Anybody interested in this region is free to join in. This will be the longest drive I will have undertaken on two wheels and will test the bikes capability fully as there are some fairly bad patches of roads en-route. This ride, I hope, will settle the ground clearance issue raised time and again for the Superlow by its critics once and for all. Right now enjoying the Superlow tremendously as an everyday ride bike which I can maneuver and take anywhere easily. I can safely say that it is the most comfortable bike in the Sportster family.

But the ride I would definitely give an arm and leg to join would be this one that fellow HOGs have undertaken recently to the Pyramids of GIZA -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-hog-ride-giza-pyramids.jpg

One day soon...

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd March 2014 at 16:40.
Old 22nd March 2014, 16:44   #234
Senior - BHPian

Dheeraj, how much does this kit cost? And how much did the original pipes cost? No air filter changes? Or were those Stage I along with the pipes?
Old 22nd March 2014, 17:07   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Dheeraj, how much does this kit cost? And how much did the original pipes cost? No air filter changes? Or were those Stage I along with the pipes?
1. The total damages including the previous Straight Shot Staggered Exhaust Pipes (Full exhaust replacement) and these 2 items here (VO2 air intake kit and Fuelpak) have costed 80K landed including about 17K Duty and 10K freight charges. The original pipes were fitted with Screamin Eagle slipons which originally costed him around 25K when he got the bike delivered, which he has now SOLD for 20K (for the entire original exhaust system including the SE slipons). So in effect this kit has costed him 60K.
2. Air Filter has been changed as I mentioned above to a Free Flowing oil lubricated VO2 system from Vance & Hines (part #71007) 139$. Refer to the 2nd photograph in my above post and you can see the new air filter element which is quite different in shape and size from the original. It can also be used naked without the original top cover but we have attached that as recommended to save it from rain damage. The OE air filter and back housing has been removed and stored. Here is the complete VO2 Naked Air Filter Kit -
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-vo2naked_2.jpg

3. This now in effect can be called a proper Stage 1 upgrade.

Last edited by dkaile : 22nd March 2014 at 17:21.
Old 24th March 2014, 01:15   #236
Senior - BHPian

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Dheeraj , I absolutely adore the way you and shubz love your Harley. There are a multitude of motorcycles available and each one of us and we choose what we love, a lot like love marriage :-). All that counts is if you love what you choose or try and change it to what you love. For me it's the former with the ninja , for you it's what you do with the super low. Yes a bit of fine tuning always happens .It's awesome to read your updates, keep them coming
sammyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 12:41   #237
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sammyboy. It's love for sure and its growing day by day. I am amazed how well built this bike is. And there is so much more I can do with it. The possibilities are endless...
---------------
Another Sunday, another 100+km ride.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-ride-23032014_3.jpg

We tested out the changes made on the Fat Bob. The bike has really smoothened out and no more popping due to restricted air intake. But the 1600cc beast was still having a tough time keeping up with me at the high triple digit speeds we were cruising at...lolz. More to do with the rider than the machine . The 883 can blast past 99% vehicles on the road that we encounter in the blink of an eye, from the Marutis to the Innovas, except of course the Ducati and the Honda 1200 VFR that joined us today too. Though the Honda could zig zag through traffic more easily, it was the marvelous red Diavel which was the crowd puller after the Harley's, of course.

My bike crossed the 2500km mark. I am so looking forward to the Nainital drive which will exploit its full potential.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-ride-23032014_4.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-ride-23032014_2.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 24th March 2014 at 12:42.
Old 25th March 2014, 16:59   #238
Senior - BHPian

Took out my 2004 model Karizma out of cold storage today

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-karizma-2004-25032014_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-karizma-2004-25032014_2.jpg

It has done only 5420kms in the last 10 years!!
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-karizma-2004-25032014_3.jpg

Serviced it myself. Changed the battery (SF by Exide), Spark Plug (NGK), One front brake light switch. Oil was synthetic and in perfect condition as I had just changed it 500kms back (read 2 years... lolz). Cleaned the air filter and petrol drain. Purred into life in half a self start.

Will go to my son (with a helmet, of course) provided he gets CGPA 10 in his boards.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-karizma-2004-25032014_4.jpg

Cheers...
Old 27th March 2014, 08:32   #239
Senior - BHPian

Drove my Karizma for an extended distance yesterday and within 10 minutes my hands were tiring and my back was aching. That is how comfortable the Superlow is. I tried to corner it like the 883 and nearly slipped. That is how well the Superlow handles. I tried to accelerate the Karizma and though it was sufficient to leave the rest behind, I felt like I was driving a moped. That is how well the Superlow's torque surges in real life conditions. I then realised what a fantastic machine this is and how could I have been living with the puny 225cc for the last 10 years. Back to the Superlow on my morning tennis run today and what a relief...
Old 27th March 2014, 10:59   #240
Senior - BHPian

Our sons are a couple of years apart in age (mine is just completing his 11th). Mine looks like he's going to be more of a driver (ralllyist probably from the look of things .....) than a rider though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks