Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 13:28   #256
BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
And more I ride the more I am reaching the conclusion that the Superlow is one of the most under-rated bikes of the Harley stable. And I have a suspicion that Harley wants to keep it that way (even though it's their largest selling bike in India) so that it does not affect sales of their costlier/blingier models. It is more comfortable than the Iron, much much more comfortable than the 48 (whose rider can easily be called Iron Buts and are most likely to get piles soon with those darn stock seats ), easily maneuverable in Indian city traffic conditions, easy to weave through highway traffic than say the heavier lot like the Fat Bobs which prefer straight lines, can hit its top speed of 150+kmph (please try only on closed roads with no speed limits) and is one of the more customisable models of their lot. What more do you want from a bike? As I mostly ride solo this bike suits me as I rarely bottom out on the worst speed bumps after the adjustment of the suspension to the stiffest setting.

But keep the riding spirit going, on any bike you like, and that is why we are here...
Completely agree with you on SL being more comfortable than the Iron, I had the same feeling when I test rode both before taking the plunge for the StreetBob. I've been pretty comfortable weaving the SB in Delhi's chaotic traffic.

So far the max I've done is 120kmph and I don't think venturing more than this on a bike is a worth the risk no matter how tempting it might be. Might want to test it for a couple of seconds on the Taj Expressway just for kicks though, on one of the next rides on it.
ankitwanchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 19:10   #257
Senior - BHPian

The Road to Biking NIRVANA

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_11.jpg

With 2800 kms on the odo it was time to break free from the mundane and head for a 600 km short road trip to the hills of Nainital with some fellow HOGs of the Capital Chapter, Delhi. From 18th to the 20th April.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_2.jpg

Unfortunately it started drizzling the morning we had to leave. Proper gear was must with a DOT certified helmet, Eye Protection Sunglasses, Chin, Knee and Elbow guards. Topped it up with a waterproof Wind Cheater. All ready to go.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_1.jpg

Met the Delhi HOGs en-route at Gajraula about 80kms from Meerut. They were a fiesty bunch but made great friends. But then there were were some who were hard core bikers and enthusiasts. Some had even done more than 30,000kms in a year!!!
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_3.jpg

There were some great stretches of roads. Devoid of traffic and absolute pleasure to drive especially through the Kalagungi/Jim Corbett Park route.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_4.jpg

There were all shapes and sizes of Harleys
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_20.jpg

Wash up en-route
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_21.jpg

Driving in such a large group with 40+ riders was a PAIN.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_5.jpg

So I used to sometimes just go SOLO. And that is when you enjoy the pristine beauty of the Garhwal hills. Bliss...
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_6.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_7.jpg

This particular road took us straight to Biker's Heaven (not the real one, I hope; lolz)
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_8.jpg

3 from our group of 5 bunched out for a fantastic ride on day 2 towards Ramgarh and Mukteshwar. Could even settle down here.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_9.jpg

Some went into meditation mode.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_10.jpg

At Nainital
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_12.jpg

We made it in the papers
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_22.jpg

Made some new friends while leaving
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_13.jpg

Along with the good there was the UGLY. Absolutely NO roads on some long stretches and the Superlow handled it all with ZERO issues and without bottoming out even once on the entire 600km trip with careful riding.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_14.jpg

Reached home safely and topped up, ready for the next adventure
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_15.jpg

594 kms was the total road trip
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_16.jpg

The bike crossed the 3K mark
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_17.jpg

Our 5 bikers from the Meerut Mutineers who made it
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-nainital-ride-1820-april-2014_18.jpg

Now I must add that riding on the hills the Superlow BEAT them all. It's handling was impeccable. It was so confidence inspiring that I must have scrapped the footpegs at least a dozen time while cornering. No other Harley even came close, yes no other. My friends on the heavier Street Bob and Fat Bob were struggling to keep up with me especially while cornering. There was just no competition at all. Some bikers had some falls on the treacherous mountain roads. Luckily our group got spared the chagrin. Most of us are seasoned and some of us have been riding proper bikes for 20+ years. Average Fuel efficiency crossed 20kmpl. The bike has great touring capabilities with the 17L fuel tank requiring comparatively lower top ups compared to the other Harleys.

In the end highly satisfied with the XL883L. The love story and the bond deepens... Khardung La calling.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2014 at 12:14. Reason: As requested
dkaile is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 19:21   #258
Senior - BHPian

Great pics Dheeraj. Just a genuine question. When you buy such an expensive bike, why don't you and most of the others in the photos invest a fraction of that amount and buy decent proper riding gear? I mean a windcheater, elbow and knee guards, and hiing/trekking type shoes is really not going to do anything in the way of protection should you come off your bike. Its a genuine concern so please take it in the right spirit.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 19:32   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
buy decent proper riding gear
Thanks for your concern mate. Call us old fashioned but we are from the Bullet era where biking used to be more about meditation rather than these nitty gritties. But with these bikes capable of such high speeds there is no limit to safety and your concern is well placed. We were also wearing armour vests below which I forgot to mention. I am also looking for some Kevlar Jeans which I heard Royal Enfield has recently launched at a fraction of the cost of the imported ones and with no RE marking. Though I saw some of these Delhi chaps with all the fancy hardware but lacking in the real biking 'software' having some great falls. That, however is no excuse that the quality of knee and elbow guards needs to be upgraded.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 20:11   #260
BANNED

Dheeraj , nice pics!
Actual mountain road is just 35km from kathgodam to nainital. Rest off it is all normal regular plain route.
If people were falling down at the gateway of hilly roads i wonder how many will survive one way 400km of hairpins to mana.
Oh by the way that is kumoun region not Garhwal. Spend my childhood in hostel at Ranikhet.

Also lean angle of superlow is for novice riders , people keep scraping footpegs on city roundabouts .

Sometime come n join dehradun Hogs and you will see unbelievable lean on sportster as most of the time we ride in hills only.
Chase down people here, there is this 18 yr old girl in group who has clocked high speeds on her iron and on her bros modded 48.

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd April 2014 at 08:04. Reason: removing the mention of high speed numbers. Please refrain...Thanks
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 20:30   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Actual mountain road is just 35km from kathgodam to nainital.

Also lean angle of superlow is for novice riders , people keep scraping footpegs on city roundabouts .
They did a 150 km ride of the Kumaon region which we left midway, where most of the falling occurred.

We are not 18 year old immatures but more of the gentle cruisers who like to remain in the 100kmph range. Our roads are not really safe for the high speeds these machines are capable and though a occasional burst is another matter, I would advice your team too to not flirt with unsafe speeds.

And Superlow's cornering ability is good enough for me and even though on paper other machines had better figures, it is the practical pleasure that is more important to me. Your preferences may differ and you are welcome to enjoy that.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd April 2014 at 08:10. Reason: removing mention of high speed from quoted post.
Old 21st April 2014, 20:43   #262
BANNED

Quote:
They did a 150 km ride of the Kumaon region which we left midway, where most of the falling occurred.

We are not 18 year old immatures but more of the gentle cruisers who like to remain in the 100kmph range. Our roads are not really safe for the high speeds these machines are capable and though a occasional burst is another matter, I would advice your team too to not flirt with unsafe speeds.

And Superlow's cornering ability is good enough for me and even though on paper other machines had better figures, it is the practical pleasure that is more important to me. Your preferences may differ and you are welcome to enjoy that.
Since you guys left them midway , you were not in their shoes !
Calling them immature without even being there is immature!
Its perfectly ok for a rider to fall.
They went in deeper into mountains , roads get trickery with gain in heights.
18 year old does not mean immature, lot of them will put riders twice their age to Shame with their skill.
Neither am I 18 nor do i know the riders that went with your group.

Some people live with moto of - Go big or go Home!
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 20:51   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you guys left them midway , you were not in their shoes !
Calling them immature without even being there is immature!
Its perfectly ok for a rider to fall.
Lolz Dushyant. You are reaching conclusions without even being there. We saw them fall in front of us, even at steep hotel entrances. So let me be the judge of that. Falling may be good in your dictionary, it ain't in mine. So let's agree to disagree. I have seen too many 'going big' people see their maker before their time.

Last edited by dkaile : 21st April 2014 at 20:52.
Old 21st April 2014, 21:38   #264
BHPian

Quote:
But then there were were some who were hard core bikers and enthusiasts. Some had even done more than 30,000kms in a year!!!
Like your impressions about the HOGs from the Delhi chapter, wonder where you would have categorised me, had I joined the ride!

While buying the bike I was sure I wouldn't ride with the HOGs as was never a fan of group riding but in the few breakfast rides i did with them in the last two months, have met some interesting people.

Also adding to the security concerns and riding gear, may I add that it might be better to ride with a full face helmet (DOT/ Snell/ ECE certified) at least on highway rides rather than a half face one.

Last edited by GTO : 25th April 2014 at 10:25. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 21st April 2014, 21:39   #265
BANNED

Quote:
Lolz Dushyant. You are reaching conclusions without even being there. We saw them fall in front of us, even at steep hotel entrances. So let me be the judge of that. Falling may be good in your dictionary, it ain't in mine. So let's agree to disagree. I have seen too many 'going big' people see their maker before their time.
Dheeraj i am not concluding anything, just saying that age has nothing to do with riding and safe speed for one may or may not be safe for others.
No one said falling is good but falling does not mean immaturity or posers.
Best of the world GP riders fall off their rides all the time , not being scared of the fall teaches you lot more about riding than sticking to your self made limits all your life.
I agree there may be lot if posers in HOG , may be they bought the bike to pose. Nothing wrong with that too . Their money their priorities.

Now i know the secret to that 100kph limit, scared to meet the maker?
Stick to cars! They are crash tested.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 21:54   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitwanchoo View Post
wonder where you would have categorised me, had I joined the ride!

it might be better to ride with a full face helmet (DOT/ Snell/ ECE certified) at least on highway rides
Don't get me wrong. Most of them were brilliant guys. Some bad apples are always there in such a big group. Even I am not a hard core biker and I know my limits.
I am seriously looking for a good full face helmet though I already have a full face Studds. But looking for something better though not exorbitant.
Quote:
Best of the world GP riders fall off their rides all the time.

Now i know the secret to that 100kph limit, scared to meet the maker?
Stick to cars! They are crash tested.
They are professional bikers, I am not. I am an enthusiast but safe rider. Yes, I have cars too but then I don't burn the highways with those either. Scared to meet the maker? Not really. Each one will meet him one day but I try not to be stupid enough to persistently try to get there before my time.
Old 21st April 2014, 22:55   #267
BHPian

@dkaile: I was kidding and agree with your initial observations!!

I also need to change my helmet as the right cheek padding has developed a crack on the Vemar full face one that I use. I'm also not sure if it is certified, had bought it about 7-8yrs back for about 3k. Those were the days when that it was a good budget for a helmet for the Bullet. Well now with the certifications and world class helmets, a ten fold jump although sounds an outrageous amount for a helmet but has caught my fancy! Let's see what I end up buying

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 22nd April 2014, 10:52   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your concern mate. Call us old fashioned but we are from the Bullet era where biking used to be more about meditation rather than these nitty gritties. But with these bikes capable of such high speeds there is no limit to safety and your concern is well placed. We were also wearing armour vests below which I forgot to mention. I am also looking for some Kevlar Jeans which I heard Royal Enfield has recently launched at a fraction of the cost of the imported ones and with no RE marking. Though I saw some of these Delhi chaps with all the fancy hardware but lacking in the real biking 'software' having some great falls. That, however is no excuse that the quality of knee and elbow guards needs to be upgraded.
Why not simply buy a riding jacket and riding pants. Please don't forget the boots. Personally I would suggest the riding pants over the kevlar jeans with inserts.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:02   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Why not simply buy a riding jacket and riding pants. Please don't forget the boots. Personally I would suggest the riding pants over the kevlar jeans with inserts.
Planning a Harley all weather jacket soon. 2 of us were wearing those heavy leather ones with protection but somehow found them too heavy for usual riding and hot too. I think you didnt notice but all of us were wearing riding boots. 1 was steel toed and 1 was very high-end above knee length. I had nearly finalised a riding pants at IBW, tried it too, but somehow was not convinced. Will look out for something better and if you could suggest something which is good as well as value for money that would be great. Somehow heavy cloth jeans go best with cruisers for the speeds we usually stick to.
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:27   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning a Harley all weather jacket soon. 2 of us were wearing those heavy leather ones with protection but somehow found them too heavy for usual riding and hot too. I think you didnt notice but all of us were wearing riding boots. 1 was steel toed and 1 was very high-end above knee length. I had nearly finalised a riding pants at IBW, tried it too, but somehow was not convinced. Will look out for something better and if you could suggest something which is good as well as value for money that would be great. Somehow heavy cloth jeans go best with cruisers for the speeds we usually stick to.
Hmmmm let me answer each of your points.

Leather jackets are a no-no in most parts of India. Textile (cordura or equivalent) work best - with lots of vents. Mesh, if you live on the coast.

Since the jacket is designed with pockets and straps for the armor, you just have to put on and take off one thing - istead of fiddling with separate vest, knee, back protectors and then a jacket (or a rainproof windcheater/raincoat - which you need to stop to put on and stop to take off).

Ditto for pants - one riding pant with everything (armor, rain protection, pockets, zips, vents, etc.) to put on and take off is a whole lot better than wearing an underpant with built in tailbone and hip protection, separate knee and shin guards (which will keep shifting and need adjusting while riding), and then an overpant for rain (which you need to stop to put on and stop to take off).

I did notice. What you guys are wearing are not riding boots. They may be branded and sold as riding boots but they are not riding boots. There is a whole lot more that goes into building a specialized riding boot that actualy protects your foot in a biking accident than just steel toes or up to knee coverage. Its a high science (there was a program on Discovery or NatGeo, 30 minutes deicated to how a riding boot is designed and made - how many different layers there are, the materials, the stitching and pasting, the testing, etc. I think it was an AlpineStars factory).

Now coming to what I would suggest.

From the stuff available in India.

The RJays Octane jacket. Around 7-8K.(?)

The latest version of the pants Aditya was suggesting (forget the brand or the model). I have seen them and they are better than both DSG and the Cramsters pants. Around 6.5K.

And for boots, there was one pretty decent one that DSG used to stock for about 7.5-8K. SIDI I think. Otherwise the budget will be higher - at least 12-15K for a decent pair.

And yes, PLEASE get a full face helmet.

Remember, when you fall and your face hits the tarmac, a full face ISI marked helmet (Studds, Vega, etc.) is a million times better than the fancy DOT/SNELL rated hybrid (hinged) or half faced helmet you are currently wearing.

Hope that helps.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks