Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:46   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Pre and Post Long Ride Checks

I always do the following checks before and after a long ride. Keeps me and the bike in shape...

Clean the Air Filter Element. Easy job done within a few minutes with required tools. Top cover requires removal of 2 nuts.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-air-filter-cleaning_1.jpg

And 3 more nuts to dislodge the air filter
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-air-filter-cleaning_2.jpg

Throttle body visible. Solid brass part built to last a generation or two. Don't know if the same quality has been carried forward for the Street. Throttle body can be adjusted from here, if necessary, especially after hand grips replacement, which can be done in-house.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-air-filter-cleaning_3.jpg

Oil Check. Always check the oil in hot bike, or at least after 5 minutes of idle, so that it gives the correct reading. It should be near the Full mark and always above the mid way mark.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-oil-check.jpg

Rear Tyre pressure adjusted to 42 psi
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-tyre-pressure-rear-42psi.jpg

Front Tyre pressure at 36 psi
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-tyre-pressure-front-36psi.jpg

No pressure reduction post ride, so all well.

I always keep a Tubeless Tyre Repair Kit handy while travelling (in the bike or my cars). Especially needed with these tubeless tyres in desolate areas.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-tubeless-tyre-repair-kit.jpg

Also keep a First Aid Kit handy especially while travelling
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-first-aid-kit_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-first-aid-kit_2.jpg

All washed and polished yesterday and ready for the next ride.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-all-polished-22042012.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:13   #272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Pre and Post Long Ride Checks

Throttle body visible. Solid brass part built to last a generation or two. Don't know if the same quality has been carried forward for the Street. Throttle body can be adjusted from here, if necessary, especially after hand grips replacement, which can be done in-house.
Attachment 1233587

Cheers...
What Adjustments can be done from here?
(Throttle Body Adjustment?) Whats that?

All bikes (FI) No matter which manufacturer (even Herohonda) have same material for Throttle Butterfly , since its softer than Aluminium and repeated use keeps compansating for wear and tear. Thereby maintaining seal and preventing airleak into the cylinders at closed throttle!
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:43   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
What Adjustments can be done from here?
(Throttle Body Adjustment?) Whats that?

All bikes (FI) No matter which manufacturer (even Herohonda) have same material for Throttle Butterfly , since its softer than Aluminium and repeated use keeps compansating for wear and tear. Thereby maintaining seal and preventing airleak into the cylinders at closed throttle!
Lolz Dushyant, didn't expect that from you. Throttle body is controlled by the throttle wire. While changing the right hand side hand grip, the throttle wire is needed to be loosened. While adjusting it back to original it is directed in the Service Manual to check that the Throttle body is fully closed in idle position. That is what I meant.

Not so. When I opened up the throttle body of the Fat Bob it seemed to be of different material and white in colour. Not the brass type visible here.
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:08   #274
BANNED

Quote:
Lolz Dushyant, didn't expect that from you. Throttle body is controlled by the throttle wire. While changing the right hand side hand grip, the throttle wire is needed to be loosened. While adjusting it back to original it is directed in the Service Manual to check that the Throttle body is fully closed in idle position. That is what I meant.

Not so. When I opened up the throttle body of the Fat Bob it seemed to be of different material and white in colour. Not the brass type visible here.
Just to see if butterfly is closed ? You said throttle body adjustment can be done?
There is no Adjustment on Throttle body . You can only change Intake butterfly when its worn out.( One lead screw is provided for Butterfly return correction but any adjustments made by that screw will be nullified by ECU as it will adjust ICV accordingly and maintain IDLE!)
While changing throttle grip , all this is not needed . Whatever adjustment is needed has been provided in the cables itself (Both cables have Adjustment screws near right Indicator) , any rider can hear throttle butterfly closing by twisting the grip and releasing , It is spring loaded. It makes quite a bit of sound if bike is in off condition. You can loosen the cables until you hear the butterfly close and then loosed additional1 or 2 threads for keeping the system stress free.

Also if one is out of adjustment , bike will start with high Idle ( MAy be very high as on Idle even 2% throttle takes it to about 2k rpm), would you again open up the entire Intake to see if butterfly is closed or get on with adjustment of Throttle cable by loosining a few threads?

Manual Also said do not put any thing on your ride that does not have Harley stamped on it! Did you comply?

Also Brass type throttle butterfly was mentioned in context of quality being carried down to street! All low end motorcycles have brass type , White in colour you saw would be Aluminium but since it is expensive, brass alloy is the option used.
dustom_99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:31   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
There is no Adjustment on Throttle body .

While changing throttle grip , all this is not needed . Whatever adjustment is needed has been provided in the cables itself (Both cables have Adjustment screws near right Indicator) , any rider can hear throttle butterfly closing by twisting the grip and releasing , It is spring loaded.

Manual Also said do not put any thing on your ride that does not have Harley stamped on it! Did you comply?

Also Brass type throttle butterfly was mentioned in context of quality being carried down to street! All low end motorcycles have brass type , White in colour you saw would be Aluminium but since it is expensive, brass alloy is the option used.
The adjustment of the throttle body is through the throttle wire adjustment nuts and that is clearly mentioned in the Service Manual as Throttle Body Adjustment. The type of adjustment you are talking about is the 'desi mechanic jugaad method' and though in principle I agree with you and see no harm in that, what I have mentioned is the correct visual procedure as mentioned in the service manual.

Boy, you are in conflicting mood today . I do not see anything attached on my bike that is a non-Harley part till now. Though I have fabricated a sissy bar which I have not yet attached.

Since you know these details, I see no purpose of your previous post in which you feigned ignorance about the whole process and throttle body parts material and your statements are self conflicting.

Quote:
All bikes (FI) No matter which manufacturer (even Herohonda) have same material for Throttle Butterfly
Lets stop this unnecessary debate and stick to the topic please .

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd April 2014 at 14:33.
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:59   #276
BANNED

Quote:
The adjustment of the throttle body is through the throttle wire adjustment nuts and that is clearly mentioned in the Service Manual as Throttle Body Adjustment. The type of adjustment you are talking about is the 'desi mechanic jugaad method' and though in principle I agree with you and see no harm in that, what I have mentioned is the correct visual procedure as mentioned in the service manual.

Boy, you are in conflicting mood today . I do not see anything attached on my bike that is a non-Harley part till now. Though I have fabricated a sissy bar which I have not yet attached.

Since you know these details, I see no purpose of your previous post in which you feigned ignorance about the whole process and throttle body parts material and your statements are self conflicting.

Lets stop this unnecessary debate and stick to the topic please .
Dont Mind! I skipped lunch today.

Its better for Brothers to fight then not talk atall.

I have gone through the manual , may be I skipped or forgot , I fail to recall manual saying you need to physically open up the entire Intake and filter , then have a look at Butterfly to adjust throttle cables!
May be the manual says "Make sure the throttle butterfly is closed fully" .
When the Manual says "Make sure the engine oil is drained , they dont mean you send in ROBOCAMS inside the motor to make sure there is no more OIL left.

Dheeraj -"The adjustment of the throttle body is through the throttle wire adjustment nuts and that is clearly mentioned in the Service Manual as Throttle Body Adjustment. "
I guess I said the same thing! Only that I said Cable Screws instead of Throttle wire nuts!

I dont know what did you mean by Desi Jugad method? Cables have been provided with Adjustment Screws- How Adjusting them is jugad is beyond me .
Also If desi method cab shorten and simplify the procedure , I do not see any reason to go with what Uncle SAM says!

I do not see it as Unnecessary debate!
May be some new rider will infer that simple cable adjustment will need Intake to be opened up , or Brass is the New Exotic Material for motorcycles
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:16   #277
BHPian

Hi Dkaile, neat coverage on your Nainital ride. I was incidentally there for a mariage the week before and can't tell you how badly I missed my ride on the beautiful twisty roads. Glad you enjoyed and can imagine the logistcial challenge of such a large group on these roads.

Surely a lost opportunity to meet you in person thsi time. Anyways hope to catch you on some other ride soon.

PS : Don't be too harsh on the poor Capital chapter guys. There maybe some plastic show-offs but most I know are serious enthusiasts and totally focused riders.
AC_genius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 18:07   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post
Don't be too harsh on the poor Capital chapter guys.
I am sorry if my comments came out that way. On the contrary I made some great friends and majority of them were great guys. Glad you liked the coverage.

My intention in the above post was just to highlight how one could simply open up the air filter and clean it at home. That parts are built of sturdy old familiar material is a highlight of a simple machine with modern electronics and nothing 'exotic'. Just goes to prove that good engineering can give reliable machines from simple and long lasting materials. That some people like to twist the inferences and some like that, is part and parcel of public forums. So to each his own.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 19:59   #279
Senior - BHPian

Here's a beautiful video of our Nainital HOG Ride. Very very special thanks to Vishal Kaushal for this. You can catch me at a few places (3.23).

Old 25th April 2014, 22:34   #280
BHPian

Very nice video compilation Dkaile. I have been following your thread for a long time now and has helped me make a right decision to buy a superlow. I bought a pre-owned superlow recently and I am enjoying the ride thoroughly. I required one clarification / assistance from senior members like you and others on this thread. Couple of my friends said that my bike handle seems little stiff and seems very heavy to handle the bike. The rear tyre is new and I was told that the font tyre can run at least 2k before a change. While I have not ridden any other superlow, is the bike little heavy or do you think my bike may need some investigation. I got a servicing done about a week back at tusker and I was told everything is fine on the bike. I did not mention about the stiff handle though while giving it for serving. Apologize in case my query looks too simple or stupid.
Old 26th April 2014, 07:18   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
Couple of my friends said that my bike handle seems little stiff and seems very heavy to handle the bike.

got a servicing done about a week back at tusker and I was told everything is fine on the bike.
It's a heavy bike, mind you, for people upgrading from the Bullet etc. at 260kgs. But once it's up and moving all that weight seems to disappear. It's very difficult to diagnose off hand if there's anything wrong with your bike, if it has been properly evaluated by your local dealer. Talk to some other Harley owners in your area. Let them have a test ride to check out your bike. Maybe it's a case of just getting used to and nothing else.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 12:06   #282
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
Very nice video compilation Dkaile. I have been following your thread for a long time now and has helped me make a right decision to buy a superlow. I bought a pre-owned superlow recently and I am enjoying the ride thoroughly. I required one clarification / assistance from senior members like you and others on this thread. Couple of my friends said that my bike handle seems little stiff and seems very heavy to handle the bike. The rear tyre is new and I was told that the font tyre can run at least 2k before a change. While I have not ridden any other superlow, is the bike little heavy or do you think my bike may need some investigation. I got a servicing done about a week back at tusker and I was told everything is fine on the bike. I did not mention about the stiff handle though while giving it for serving. Apologize in case my query looks too simple or stupid.
As dheeraj said, most likely case of getting used to, Superlow feels front heavy on standstill, also check front Tyre pressure, if it is low , it can make bike feel even heavier.
check if in previous services triple tree was tightener , may be its over tightener. don't worry if it is, it will get to optimum all by itself as it has Tapered roller bearings instead of ball&cone set!
dustom_99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 16:33   #283
Senior - BHPian

As per PM's received by me from some members, the details of the LIMI tyre inflator have already been posted on my Fortuner's Ownership Thread here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2490560
Old 1st May 2014, 14:00   #284
Senior - BHPian

Procured the SJ 4000 HD DV Sports Camera (a substitute for Go Pro HERO camera costing 25K) from DX.com. Buying details posted here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ml#post3405341 Costed me 6,466/- landed. No customs charged as the seller had marked the packet value @15$. Landed yesterday i.e. in 25 days.

Here is the camera packaging with the optional Car windshield suction mount that I had purchased separately
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_1.jpg

This suction mount works very well with any helmet too, though the camera becomes a little high on the helmet and you look like a Mohawk... lolz. Normal flat helmet mounts x2 are also included but they are to be pasted with 3M tape and hence the interchangeability of the camera amongst all Club members becomes restricted.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_2.jpg

Here it is mounted on the handlebar of my Superlow. This is inside the 30m waterproof and shatter resistant case. The case is fully compatible with the GoPro Hero camera too and alone must be worth more than 6K going by the build quality if the same were to be procured from GoPro.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_3.jpg

The top view of the camera and the case
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_4.jpg

The back view with the 1.5" screen (not there in the Hero camera as far as I remember)
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_5.jpg

Using it with a 16GB card for now. Will upgrade to 32GB soon.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_6.jpg

All the accessories that came with the Camera. Plus there is also a charger and usb cable (not visible), plus of course the actual camera. All the accessroies are of very high quality unlike what I was expecting.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_7.jpg

The actual camera in hand
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_8.jpg

Close up of the rear. Very good rubberised build quality. With a micro sd slot, micro usb slot, and a micro hdmi port. The camera can be charged by PC also. It can also be used as a webcam and also works directly as a mass storage device.
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_9.jpg

The camera inside the waterproof case, a closeup
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_10.jpg

Size comparo
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-sj-4000-hd-dv-camera_11.jpg

Actual footage of a small tennis ride that I did today morning

Pros:
- Excellent quality comparable to Hero as you can see from the footage
- At an excellent 1/4th price
- Optical stabilisation is available (though not used in the above video)
- Can be set to automatically make videos of designated time intervals
- Car mode is available to start/stop recording when charging/not charging
- Upto 12MP stills. and 1920*1080 30fps videos. In 1280*720 it shoots at 60fps
- No major shake even at triple digit speeds and that too without optical stabilisation. More to be tested.

Cons -
- Low Speaker volume when watching video directly on camera. No ways to increase the volume
- Build quality of actual camera of Hero is a notch higher. But very satisfactory at this price
- No video editing software included
- 70 minute battery recording time
- No chest harness supplied as default. Is a optional accessory

Verdict - Highly Satisfied

Last edited by dkaile : 1st May 2014 at 14:01.
dkaile is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 10:00   #285
Senior - BHPian

Just came across news that a fellow HOG Amit Joshi, last month has done 6000km in 7 days, Ahmedabad to Sikkim (China border) and return on his Superlow 883, ALONE.

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-superlow-goes-sikkim_1.jpg

Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-superlow-goes-sikkim_2.jpg

Nice to note that this super low bike can traverse the length and breath of our country without any issues. This only further reiterates my belief that the Superlow is one of the best Tourers in the Harley family and it's true potential is quite under rated in respect to its capabilities.

Kudos and Hats off to you man!!
dkaile is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks