Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 13:30   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhimanyu_singh View Post
I liked the earlier superlow even better with the peanut gas tank.

According to HD India website, the new sportsters (2014) are coming with engine immobilizers along with Tach and Gear Indicator Readout.

Would there be any issues in that, apart from the RTO thing, which I can handle. I'm guessing I still can get membership of the Hyd Chapter of HOGs after purchasing from Delhi.
Yes, the old Low's tank is just beautiful but then it hampers range due to low fuel capacity as that is about 6L less. Also the ride of the Low is much more harsher than the Superlow.

Engine immobilizers have been there all throughout. In fact earlier Superlow's had remote lock/unlock as standard (though not on mine) which is now a paid extra. The Tach/Gear (one at a time) readout is a nice addition though I doubt its everyday usability. Also I don't like the fonts used on the 2014 readouts. But the major grouse for me is that the engine sound/tuning has been altered to adhere to stricter emission norms which has quietened the motor a bit. The 2013 and earlier Sportsters sounded much better with the Screamin Eagle slip-ons.

I don't think that purchasing from Delhi should be a issue. Just get it registered in your name and advice them to fill up your Hyderabad address for the International HOG registration. Local HOG membership should never be an issue as long as you ride one.
Old 27th May 2014, 13:30   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

According to HD India website, the new sportsters (2014) are coming with engine immobilizers along with Tach and Gear Indicator Readout. Another niceties added IMO.

Would there be any issues in that, apart from the RTO thing, which I can handle. I'm guessing I still can get membership of the Hyd Chapter of HOGs after purchasing from Delhi.
Jumping the gun here!

Immobilizers/Tachometer are optional accessories costing 30 plus grands each.
Gear/RPM indicator are standard and built in features of 2014 Sportsters.

Doesn't matter where you buy, apart from the RTO formalities, you will not have any issues about HOG memberships. Go for it Abhi!
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 14:07   #303
BHPian

Quote:
I think you have a good point there sir, btw your bike looks quite nice, I would probably go for something like that myself, but with more mods.

Yes sir, i sure love the CHROME and the BLING!! Another thing in my case is that it has to be a long time love affair, my another concern wrt to street is that I might again be tempted to move up in couple of years. When it comes to automobiles I buy something I would keep as long as i can.

So superlow fits in that regards, I myself am not much in favor of the Iron as you rightly mentioned, the comfort. The point now is that if I need to get this, I'll probably have to wait a little longer to get the dough.

I know its quite comfortable and easy on highways, how does it fair in city driving, with potholes and speedbreakers, given the 100mm ground clearance.
abhimanyu_singh even I was in the same dilemma and ended up cancelling my street 750 booking and bought a Superlow XL 883 (pre-owned). It is one amazing bike with true potato...potato sound. While Superlow is ~ 2 L more than Street, the waiting period is more than an year here in Bangalore. One of my friend did mention that they have stopped or slowed on Superlow sales for now to push Street 750.

When it comes to braking and comfort, Superlow is amazing to ride. Incase you are ~ 6ft, suggest you go for Iron as it is more comfortable than Superlow for tall riders. Superlow is really low
Dust_Harl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 14:31   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post

When it comes to braking and comfort, Superlow is amazing to ride. Incase you are ~ 6ft, suggest you go for Iron as it is more comfortable than Superlow for tall riders. Superlow is really low
Slightly - Please get your really low Superlow to the Sunday ride?

Also do share your experiences here (or on a separate thread)
Old 27th May 2014, 14:58   #305
BHPian

Quote:
While Superlow is ~ 2 L more than Street, the waiting period is more than an year here in Bangalore. One of my friend did mention that they have stopped or slowed on Superlow sales for now to push Street 750.
Oh Man! One year is too much, I just inquired at Harley Banjara and they said the wait time is around 8-12 months. This is terrible, I had planned to get my Harley (street or superlow) by Diwali or at least the by Christmas this year. So that it could have done its madden trip to Bangalore during Christmas.

I'm really skeptical or simply afraid of the pre-owned bikes, as in its entirely based on luck, you can get a gem or a lemon. I'm sure you must have bought it from a trusted source, but unfortunately I have none. SO that option also goes out of the window.

Oh man, this just added another twist to this dilemma of mine
Old 27th May 2014, 17:01   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Slightly - Please get your really low Superlow to the Sunday ride?

Also do share your experiences here (or on a separate thread)
Yup Sure. Will join you for the first or Second Sunday ride next month.

Will shortly share my experience on a separate thread.
Old 27th May 2014, 20:00   #307
BHPian

Quote:
abhimanyu_singh even I was in the same dilemma and ended up cancelling my street 750 booking and bought a Superlow XL 883 (pre-owned). It is one amazing bike with true potato...potato sound.
Hello, I am no big fan of the 750. Found it to be lacking road presence and the obvious Harley potato sound. I was completely flabbergasted with a 750 I saw at the showroom with the new Screamin Eagle exhaust. It sounds killer. A devils trumpet if you ask me. If sound is on your mind worth an upgrade!!
AC_genius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 21:29   #308
BHPian

[quote=I'm really skeptical or simply afraid of the pre-owned bikes, as in its entirely based on luck, you can get a gem or a lemon. I'm sure you must have bought it from a trusted source, but unfortunately I have none. SO that option also goes out of the window.

Oh man, this just added another twist to this dilemma of mine [/QUOTE]

You may find some good one if you look around and carefully evaluate. You can get complete bike history in one of the Harley service station as there are not many who can repair the bike. of course you have to take the details through the seller and HD will not readily provide you the details.

I met one superlow owner in Bangalore HD showroom who has bought the bike about a month ago and unfortunately or fortunately going abroad for long term and is willing to sell his new black superlow. He had run ~ 350 Kms when we spoke. You can inbox me your email ID and I can mail his details.

PS: I am forwarding the details based on your interest on Superlow on this thread and I am not a dealer / re-seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post
Hello, I am no big fan of the 750. Found it to be lacking road presence and the obvious Harley potato sound. I was completely flabbergasted with a 750 I saw at the showroom with the new Screamin Eagle exhaust. It sounds killer. A devils trumpet if you ask me. If sound is on your mind worth an upgrade!!
Completely agree. I happen to see one in Tusker Harley at Bangalore and the sound was simply amazing. if one is keen on Harley sound then this is a "must"on your accessory list. It may not be potato-potato but it is definitely topato-topato.
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 08:13   #309
Senior - BHPian

The idiots at Snapdeal cancelled my order for the Spartan Helios Jacket citing non-availability of the item in stock. That seller has relisted the item with Medium size. Some sort of action should be taken against these sites/sellers for playing with our money. God knows when I will receive the refund.
Old 28th May 2014, 09:56   #310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The idiots at Snapdeal cancelled my order for the Spartan Helios Jacket citing non-availability of the item in stock. That seller has relisted the item with Medium size. Some sort of action should be taken against these sites/sellers for playing with our money. God knows when I will receive the refund.

I agree! we cant let these Idiots get away all the time.
why dont you borrow my F-22raptor and Nuke'em
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 12:39   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_genius View Post
I was completely flabbergasted with a 750 I saw at the showroom with the new Screamin Eagle exhaust. It sounds killer. A devils trumpet if you ask me. If sound is on your mind worth an upgrade!!
Sound is not an issue as such for me, but I have been deeply researching Superlow for the past few days and I have to admit that I'm in love with it now. I loved Street in terms of its performance but now after researching superlow so much I can completely relate to people's reaction to the street's quality issue. Man some parts feels like bajaj bikes' parts. Dkaile sir, now i completely get your earlier comments regarding quality and finsihing with respect to street 750.

Quote:
You may find some good one if you look around and carefully evaluate. You can get complete bike history in one of the Harley service station as there are not many who can repair the bike. of course you have to take the details through the seller and HD will not readily provide you the details.

I met one superlow owner in Bangalore HD showroom who has bought the bike about a month ago and unfortunately or fortunately going abroad for long term and is willing to sell his new black superlow. He had run ~ 350 Kms when we spoke. You can inbox me your email ID and I can mail his details.

Completely agree. I happen to see one in Tusker Harley at Bangalore and the sound was simply amazing. if one is keen on Harley sound then this is a "must"on your accessory list. It may not be potato-potato but it is definitely topato-topato.
Thanks mate, let me try my luck there as well, will pm you my details. But seriously I cant wait for 8-12 months, I might have to go back to street and then later who knows i might upgrade it past sportster series altogether. BTW my close friend is selling his 48 for 7L, but thats just too much for me at this point. But one thing is for sure, if I'm getting a street afterall, I'll customise it like hell, not that I have too much of spare cash, but to compensate on some things atleast.

Quote:
ebay and snapdeal are worst when it comes to such situations. No wonder ebay bought snapdeal, it was a perfect match .. lol... but dont worry sir, atleast they'll refund, but nothing for your inconvinience.
Old 28th May 2014, 13:03   #312
BANNED

I nearly lost 40k on ebay.com
I had ordered Power vision from US based seller , that nut shipped it with USPS priority flat rate envelop. In add he had put up that shipping will be through USPS priority mail , which is good enough as it is Trackable in Indian post aswell.
However USPS priority mail - Flat rate envelope is treated as ordinary post and is not trackable.
when package failed to show up for 4 weeks , I filed for refund , but EBAY decided the case in favour of seller as he had Proof of shipping.
I escalated and Reappealed , again decided in favour of Seller.
Then I took up with paypal , they said Ebay decision is Final.
I took up with Presidents office ( Paypal) , dont ask me how did I find Email add of Presendents office!

Then they returned my money , although I still lost 2k because of Dollar exchange rate.
Lesson learned - USPS priority mail International is not same as USPS priority mail - Flat rate envelope.

Then I had to order again , and get it shipped through FEDEX which costed 150$ just for shipping, while USPS was hardly 35$

Last edited by dustom_99 : 28th May 2014 at 13:13.
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 17:47   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
I nearly lost 40k on ebay.com
I had ordered Power vision from US based seller , that nut shipped it with USPS priority flat rate envelop. In add he had put up that shipping will be through USPS priority mail , which is good enough as it is Trackable in Indian post aswell.
However USPS priority mail - Flat rate envelope is treated as ordinary post and is not trackable.
when package failed to show up for 4 weeks , I filed for refund , but EBAY decided the case in favour of seller as he had Proof of shipping.
I escalated and Reappealed , again decided in favour of Seller.
Then I took up with paypal , they said Ebay decision is Final.
I took up with Presidents office ( Paypal) , dont ask me how did I find Email add of Presendents office!

Then they returned my money , although I still lost 2k because of Dollar exchange rate.
Lesson learned - USPS priority mail International is not same as USPS priority mail - Flat rate envelope.

Then I had to order again , and get it shipped through FEDEX which costed 150$ just for shipping, while USPS was hardly 35$
40k??? Is it safe to get such costly things via ebay international otherwise also??
Old 29th May 2014, 18:45   #314
BANNED

Quote:

40k??? Is it safe to get such costly things via ebay international otherwise also??
I hv had items costing several thousands $ , never had problem. But every time it was insured and registered parcel.
Just pay up the duty , sometimes you are asked for reason of import by a letter from customs.

If payment is through paypal , it is suppose to be covered
Old 29th May 2014, 23:58   #315
BHPian

Finally after all the research and endless discussions with everyone close to me I have decided that my harley has to be a SUPERLOW.... thank you all guys, i wont mind spending close to 2L extra compared to street but i'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm also willing to wait another 6-7 months but i truly belive that it'll be worth the wait. BTW one of my friend claims that he knows lotta people in Harley and can get it done quickly, lets see how capable he is.

I'll be booking the bike at Capital Harley (gurgaon), as I'm from there and would like to ultimately have an 'HR 26' number. They have promised me earliest by december if i book in next few days. I'll then drive it down to Hyderabad (will create different thread for this ultra trip, when time comes .

2 things on my agenda now:
  1. Book the bike in the next few days.
  2. Arrange for the monies (in a way longer wait time helps me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Jumping the gun here!

Immobilizers/Tachometer are optional accessories costing 30 plus grands each.
Gear/RPM indicator are standard and built in features of 2014 Sportsters.

Doesn't matter where you buy, apart from the RTO formalities, you will not have any issues about HOG memberships. Go for it Abhi!
Shubz sir, my first order of business when I get the bike here would be a bangalore trip and I'm sure I'll get a chance to ride with you.

Quote:
abhimanyu_singh even I was in the same dilemma and ended up cancelling my street 750 booking and bought a Superlow XL 883 (pre-owned).
Aravind sir, I think we share the same feeling here. I've decided against the street and i'll also get a new superlow. For which I'm even willing to wait 6-7 months as well. BTW the contact you forwarded to me, sold his bike. Its fine as I'll get a new one only. Look forward to ride with you too when I'm in Bengaluru.

Quote:

Shelling out that extra 1.5L may be the best decision you might take as you might miss out on the true Harley lineage with the Street. Though I personally do not believe in that discrimination thing though I have heard some clubs putting in a clause of taking in HOGs of only over 800cc into their fold. That however should be a immaterial point if you are a hardcore biker at heart. Superlow is the most comfortable of the Sportsters and 48 is the most 'beautiful' if I can call them so...lolz. Iron has a strong following as a compromise between the beauty and comfort levels. You won't go wrong with the Superlow especially if you are old school like me and love CHROME. Otherwise the blacked out bikes may be the preferred choice for youngsters. Superlow also has a huge customisation potential and you can make it look like whatever you like provided, once again, that you like chrome. It oozes quality unlike, sadly, the Street.
Dheeraj sir, you are absolutely right and I'm all set to join the ranks with the new superlow. It might take a while, but I'm sure I'll get to ride with you too sometime or the other. I'm bound to get back to Gurgaon sooner or later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks