Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 15:30   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post

@Dust_Ha Can you please elaborate on this and give details like the make or wwere is the availability(in Bangalore since we both are from there). Actually I had not heard of it before.

Is there any problem with the batteries of HD if left for weeks at a stretch?. I have not experienced the battery drainage problem in any of my cars. Infact I had left my Neo elantra for 2 weeks during my ladakh trip and on coming back it started with the push of a button without any hassles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
This is available in HD showroom as an accessory and you don't need to install it outside. Usually the folks there would suggest you when you go there.

You will not have a problem till the time the bike is new and you are using it regularly. Definitely may be an issue down the lane. It is better to have this for you to charge your bike in case of not using it for long period than push start or call Harley Service to tow your bike. Considering they charge ~5000 to tow the bike after the warranty / extended warranty period.
Ram sir,

Battery tender, as Dusto put it up is only an accessory just in case you are traveling/not using the bike for weeks. Usually there will be no problem, your bike will start with the push of the button. But if left for long, like any battery will discharge slowly.

The battery in Jeep lasted quite long, considering the fact that the jeep is 1965 make, and is used very very sparingly. Weeks/sometimes months, it remained idle, but started in 3 cranks.

Have left my HD unattended. Mostly I start it only on a Sunday morning, and it starts without any hiccups.

Regarding seat, my two cents - If your pillion would ride with you more often than not, go for Sundowner (do not opt for anything else). If its a rare occurrence, then go for the additional pillion seat with back rest and not to forget, foot pegs (go for the 4" ones, not the regular round ones)

Welcome to the HD family in advance, hope to see you on our rides! #LLB
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 15:49   #437
BHPian

The hole in the pocket getting a bit bigger. Effective 1st Oct 2014 HD prices have gone up. This is a price increase that will apply to all deliveries made on or after October 1, 2014. I got an email from my dealer. The iron is costing me 40K more now !!
Old 15th October 2014, 16:05   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

Battery tender, as Dusto put it up is only an accessory just in case you are traveling/not using the bike for weeks. Usually there will be no problem, your bike will start with the push of the button. But if left for long, like any battery will discharge slowly.

Regarding seat, my two cents - If your pillion would ride with you more often than not, go for Sundowner (do not opt for anything else). If its a rare occurrence, then go for the additional pillion seat with back rest and not to forget, foot pegs (go for the 4" ones, not the regular round ones)

Welcome to the HD family in advance, hope to see you on our rides! #LLB
Thanks @Shubz.
So I might as well require to keep a Battery Tender on hand -just in case.
And i think that my usage of HD will also be similar to yours'.
Your advice on seats is taken and noted for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
The hole in the pocket getting a bit bigger. Effective 1st Oct 2014 HD prices have gone up. This is a price increase that will apply to all deliveries made on or after October 1, 2014. I got an email from my dealer. The iron is costing me 40K more now !!
Yep. +1 to that.
My ride has already caused a larger hole in my pocket. - the rates have gone up by 29K for the superlow. Now it is approx 7.36L on Road in Bangalore.
Old 15th October 2014, 16:12   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please elaborate on this and give details like the make or where is the availability(in Bangalore since we both are from there). Actually I had not heard of it before.

Is there any problem with the batteries of HD if left for weeks at a stretch?. I have not experienced the battery drainage problem in any of my cars. Infact I had left my Neo elantra for 2 weeks during my ladakh trip and on coming back it started with the push of a button without any hassles.

@dkaile: I had searched on the net regarding decoding of VIN details of HD. But what i have found - VIN numbers of HD - are not similar to the VIN of your superlow.
For Ex. the VIN starts as 1HD1etc. but the VIN in your vehicle is not similar to that.
In India the VIN starts with MEG instead of 1HD, meaning that the bikes are manufactured in and for sale only in India market. For your bilke, the next number will be '4' specifying that it is a middleweight motorcycle (upto 900cc). Next code will be CR which is for XL 883L Superlow. Followed by a '2' specifying the Evolution 883 air cooled fuel injected engine; then a N which again is a code for India. Then there will be a VIN check digit of no particular significance (between 0-9). Followed by a alphabet signifying model year which in my case was 'D' signifying 2013. Followed by a 'N' specifying the assembly plant (Haryana, India). And finally a 6 digit sequential number of your bike. Total 17 digit VIN number. Also the month and year of manufacture is printed alongside the VIN which in my case was 08-13. This should clearly let you know when your bike was actually made.

Battery drainage issue is there in the larger 1600cc engines as the battery goes kaput quicker due to the heavy cranking load of that engine. If you still need the charger, it is easily available at the dealership. The Sundowner is a deep bucket seat while the Signature is even slightly better.

Last edited by dkaile : 15th October 2014 at 16:14.
Old 15th October 2014, 16:25   #440
BHPian

Thanks for clearing my confusion dkaile Ji.
I am thinking of going for just a pillion right now and later change to others as per my usage characteristics.

Cheers
Old 15th October 2014, 17:53   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Call me old fashioned but it symbolises a man's steed, a horse, a pet, something to keep me fit. And after having driven one home yesterday, over a 100km drive that I did after almost 2 decades on 2 wheels, I can safely say that motorcycle driving does make you fitter and more more mentally alert. It rejuvenated all my dulled senses.

This 883cc beast of the so called 'baby' Harley had more quality than any Indian manufacturer ever offered to us.
I highly appreciate your review on Harley Davidson SuperLow and the thought you have with respect to bike on rejuvenating the senses.
Your number of pictures of every components and minimal amount of writing helps a lot because your pictures are of high quality and spoke thousands of words. These conveyed right information and proved the quality of the bike offered by this manufacturer.

A quick query:
I believe the company recommends high octane fuel. Some say 91 is optimum and some have used 89 and 93. Which one do you prefer? Thanks!

I wish you happy miles ahead.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 15th October 2014 at 17:59.
yogeshnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 18:47   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
A quick query:
I believe the company recommends high octane fuel. Some say 91 is optimum and some have used 89 and 93. Which one do you prefer?
Thanks for the kind words. Well the engine of this Sportster is a slow revving one unlike the modern sports bikes. Also the compression ratio is just 8.9:1. This is one of the most reliable engines in the Harley fold. This engine could very well run on kerosene in emergencies though I would strongly urge no one to try that. The company recommends an octane rating of 91 (95 RON) and I have been using plain old normal petrol without additives with zero issues.

Last edited by dkaile : 15th October 2014 at 18:49.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2014, 20:17   #443
BHPian

Dkaile ji, Yesterday I visited the HD showroom for some paperwork and spoke with them regarding VIN. It appears that the VIN in newer vehicles is something like what I had said earlier on this forum. The VIN number coding what you had explained maybe has been stopped from the new Year models i.e 2015 models - I am not very sure but will post the exact nature after i see my ride.
Old 21st October 2014, 15:02   #444
BHPian

@dkaile, Sir have you added a switch for the headlights for on/off since the headlights would remain on always? I have seen on such such post if i am right here on TBHP. Will have to search to retrieve it! This might be useful if we convert to HID headlamps.

Electrical mods like HID/LED? I have read a bit about HID installation or conversion. I have read that this is being done by Aeedea based in bangalore (outside of HD). If I remember right it costs about 7K. Would this be suggested by any of you senior riders of HD?

About LED lights (Not the headlights) i have seen some installations on youtube only. mostly on the Kuryakyn page. I am not sure. No practical idea. But looks good at night. However may invite unwanted attention.

Any suggestions on these.
Old 21st October 2014, 21:29   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions on these.
I have seen many upgrades and customisations but have reached the conclusion that most mods done outside the Harley fold specifically by low quality manufacturers turn out to do more harm than good. I have not added any extra switch for headlights and would not recommend you to do so as the always on headlights, as you call them, are in fact day time running lights and are mandatory in the US and EU. They are essential safety equipment for two wheelers specially, notwithstanding the many people that will keep pointing to you on Indian roads that your headlights are on. I have only added Roots Windtone horn (details on post#158 on page 11) who are incidentally also the the supplier of the OE horn attached from the factory. Only thing I carefully checked was the ampere load that these dual horns will take and whether my OE horn switch can take that load or not, which it does safely. Otherwise to play with the electricals with non approved parts could prove hazardous. Use the OE parts for a few months and then decide whether you want a upgrade. And use good reputed manufacturer's equipment only after due research.
Old 22nd October 2014, 01:11   #446
BHPian

Thanks dkaile. I had installed these Roots wind tone horns on my KB RTZ 100 way back in 1989. I think I had bought a cut-out along with it.

I have read your installation posts. will go through again. Is there a space to fit them a little higher from the spot where you had chosen? Did you retain the original ones?

Agree with you on the electricals. will research more after i have the manual in hand. I hope electrical details are all there.
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:05   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there a space to fit them a little higher from the spot where you had chosen? Did you retain the original ones?
I have retained the original horn and no wiring has been slashed. Nor have I used any relay or cutouts as its just a 5A unit instead of the original 2.5A one but still has less load compared to some units going upto 50A which needs relays and cutouts. Its a simple plug and play. I used plug in extension cable to attach these horns and can always revert back to the original in a jiffy. I did not have a crash guard installed and hence placed them lower down in the ready made slots where the crash guard attaches. You can place them higher or even on your crash guard, if you plan to install one, but you may have to fabricate some strip or attachment to install them. Should not be a big deal.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 11:21   #448
Senior - BHPian

Still going strong with more than 1 year under the belt
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-diwali-2014_1.jpg

Looking as good as new
Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review-harley-diwali-2014_2.jpg

Happy Diwali to all my TeamBhp mates...
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 12:05   #449
BHPian

!! Happy Diwali to you Dhiraj Sir and all on the HD fraternity and Team BHP !!
Vista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 12:18   #450
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride sir. Wishing you many many happy miles with it.
Autolock123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks