Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:53   #421
BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson Superlow XL883L - The Comprehensive Review

Dheeraj Sir, I know you are not a fan of increasing the GC since you're happy with the stiffest suspension. However, can you and other members please share what you know about increasing the GC?
Like, ways to increase GC, how much does it cost, by how many cm/inches can u increase it etc.

Also, does anyone know what this http://lonerindustries.com/1-inch-superlow-risers.html is for?
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:43   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avior View Post
Dheeraj Sir, I know you are not a fan of increasing the GC since you're happy with the stiffest suspension. However, can you and other members please share what you know about increasing the GC?
Like, ways to increase GC, how much does it cost, by how many cm/inches can u increase it etc.
Avior, while waiting for DKalie to reply, here is my experience.

I have installed nightster suspension for my superlow and this was readily available as a kit for Superlow here in Bangalore. It cost around 30K and they will also change the jiffy stand post increasing the suspension else the bike will be too much slanting while you park. Do not know the exact GC as I don't recollect it but it will surely take care of all road breakers even with a pillion rider.

The ride quality is also pretty good and it was a must do upgrade for me to take care of speed breakers here in Bangalore.
Dust_Harl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 00:51   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
I have installed nightster suspension for my superlow and this was readily available as a kit for Superlow here in Bangalore..
Thanks DH. Having experienced Bangalore breakers, I too would have gotten them asap. Anyhow, I'm planning to ride the bike for a few days after I get it and them see how things go. I'm hoping that like Dheeraj, I too would not feel the need to raise the GC but I'm planning to take her on long rides, interstate and the likes so was contemplating that it might be a better idea to have a better GC for these rides.
30K is steep though.

Did u check the link I'd posted? And if you did, do you have any idea about what they are?
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:08   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
please share what you know about increasing the GC?

Also, does anyone know what this http://lonerindustries.com/1-inch-superlow-risers.html is for?
I presume that those risers are just for raising the handlebars and not for ground clearance.

You can increase ground clearance by changing the rear shockers from the default 11" model to up to 13" ones. But they are costly affair and cost somewhere around 20-25k. I saw someone selling online his second hand rear shocks of the Iron (12-12.5" ones) for the Superlow for around 8k. The best ones in the business are not from the Harley fold but are from the Progressive brand. In addition you can also change the front fork springs to stiffer ones which cost around 8-10k. By these mods the ground clearance can go up by 1~2". Alternatively people have also fabricated and fitted risers (of a different kind from the ones you have stated above) between the front forks to raise the machine by 1~2". These cost around 6k but I am not to sure about their performance levels and affect on handling.

Quote:
I too would not feel the need to raise the GC but I'm planning to take her on long rides, interstate and the likes so was contemplating that it might be a better idea to have a better GC for these rides.
I have felt that the lower ground clearance is more of a issue in in-city riding with some obnoxious speed breakers and have never affected me on my long rides, interstate et al.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:16   #425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have installed nightster suspension for my superlow and this was readily available as a kit for Superlow here in Bangalore. It cost around 30K
Can you please share part numbers or copy of invoice , I am looking for such setup since many Years , local Harley guys wont have a clue to this .
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:39   #426
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can you please share part numbers or copy of invoice , I am looking for such setup since many Years , local Harley guys wont have a clue to this .
If you are planning to change shocks, why go OEM when you can upgrade to any of the following:

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...avidson/xl883l

There are several ebay sellers who will ship to India, like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive-...4e2fce&vxp=mtr

I'm sure the dealer wouldn't mind installing it if you ask nicely. You will have to do the side stand update through them anyways.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:55   #427
Team-BHP Support

I believe nightster suspension upgrade that Dust_Harl has referred is for front suspension , they probably change the front fork tubes . Progressive does have a "drop -in "setup but nothing to increase height ..

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd September 2014 at 11:08.
Old 25th September 2014, 16:09   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I believe nightster suspension upgrade that Dust_Harl has referred is for front suspension , they probably change the front fork tubes . Progressive does have a "drop -in "setup but nothing to increase height ..
The nightster kit I mentioned in my post is for both front and read suspension upgrade. It costed me around 30K for this upgrade. These are not progressive springs but actual harley suspension from nightster model that is not sold in India.

@Avior

Quote:
Check out Aeedea group in facebook. This guy does custom products for Harley and has a similar product to increase GC. It may cost few hundreds but not sure on the reliability and ride quality as I don't know anybody who has tried this.

Last edited by Dust_Harl : 25th September 2014 at 16:14.
Old 3rd October 2014, 13:53   #429
BHPian

Quote:
I have made 2 inch risers out of aluminium for my Superlow just like the one loner industries makes. It makes a hell of a difference now. I am 5'6" and my hands would stretch out, to reach for the handlebars. Now if you drop down the handle bars (on the stock setup), they only pull back an inch or two, as any more, and your turn signals would hit the tank when turning. Also, dropping the bar too low, kills the look of the bike. Now with the two inch rise, it already pulls back an inch straight up, plus it gets two inches higher, which, for me is now very comfortable on long rides. I rode from Pune to Hyderabad and back in the last week of september, and the ride was more comfortable than when I did Pune-Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer-Logewala-Udaipur-Pune in march. The riding gurus suggest that when on long rides, to be comfortable, you should have a little bend in your elbows. And now I agree with them to the fullest!

Dkaile has rightly put, that these only raise the handlebars and in no way relate to the GC of the bike.

Last edited by raghuvir : 3rd October 2014 at 13:56.
raghuvir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 20:58   #430
BHPian

Hi, good to be back.
Finally did the long awaited Ladakh tour. Awesome. But was busy since i got back so posting today.

I have a good news - My Superlow will be ready in 1-2 weeks time.
@dkaile, Do you have any suggestions for me before I take delivery of my ride?
one more thing I wanted to ask you - Have you changed your seats on the superlow? I am thinking about going for a pillion also and how to go about this - Should I just add a pillion or should I change the entire seat?

Cheers,
SD Ram

Note : can I post few of the ladakh photos here or should I start a separate thread?
Old 14th October 2014, 23:03   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
Hi, good to be back.
Finally did the long awaited Ladakh tour. Awesome. But was busy since i got back so posting today.

I have a good news - My Superlow will be ready in 1-2 weeks time.
one more thing I wanted to ask you - Have you changed your seats on the superlow? I am thinking about going for a pillion also and how to go about this - Should I just add a pillion or should I change the entire seat?

Cheers,
SD Ram

Note : can I post few of the ladakh photos here or should I start a separate thread?
Not seen Dkalie sir for sometime now. I guess he is busy riding

Let me try to answer some of your questions.

On the pillion seat, you don't need to change the entire seat. You can add only the pillion seat & rear foot pegs. I would also say backrest is a must in case you add pillion seat.

In case you do not ride very extensively then add a battery tender that will help you charge your bike battery connected to a power chord. This will cost not more than 2K or less. With this you can leave your bike for a week or two or more in case of any short or long term travel.

I guess you should start a new thread on your Ladakh experience with the photos.

Looking forward to ride together in one of our weekly HOG rides.

my two+ cents.... see you soon
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 09:37   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

can I post few of the ladakh photos here or should I start a separate thread?
Congrats on the awaited delivery of the Superlow. Just ensure you check up the VIN details before hand to confirm that the bike is a fresh manufacture. Check for any nicks and dings that can happen during transport. For the seat, you can consider going in for a Signature series seat which is more comfortable than the stock one. But it is a supposedly costly affair. The stock pillion is about 8k. Or you can ride for a while and then decide.

Regarding Ladakh photos, if they are of a biking sojourn, why not?
Old 15th October 2014, 13:16   #433
BHPian

Thanks @Dust_Harl and @dkaile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post

In case you do not ride very extensively then add a battery tender that will help you charge your bike battery connected to a power chord. This will cost not more than 2K or less. With this you can leave your bike for a week or two or more in case of any short or long term travel.
@Dust_Ha Can you please elaborate on this and give details like the make or wwere is the availability(in Bangalore since we both are from there). Actually I had not heard of it before.

Is there any problem with the batteries of HD if left for weeks at a stretch?. I have not experienced the battery drainage problem in any of my cars. Infact I had left my Neo elantra for 2 weeks during my ladakh trip and on coming back it started with the push of a button without any hassles.

@dkaile: I had searched on the net regarding decoding of VIN details of HD. But what i have found - VIN numbers of HD - are not similar to the VIN of your superlow.
For Ex. the VIN starts as 1HD1etc. but the VIN in your vehicle is not similar to that.

Coming to the photos, they are not involving any bikes. So shelving my idea and will be following Dust_Harl's opinion for now.

Cheers.
Old 15th October 2014, 14:46   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @Dust_Harl and @dkaile.

@Dust_Ha Can you please elaborate on this and give details like the make or wwere is the availability(in Bangalore since we both are from there). Actually I had not heard of it before.

Is there any problem with the batteries of HD if left for weeks at a stretch?. I have not experienced the battery drainage problem in any of my cars. Infact I had left my Neo elantra for 2 weeks during my ladakh trip and on coming back it started with the push of a button without any hassles.

Cheers.
This is available in HD showroom as an accessory and you don't need to install it outside. Usually the folks there would suggest you when you go there.

You will not have a problem till the time the bike is new and you are using it regularly. Definitely may be an issue down the lane. It is better to have this for you to charge your bike in case of not using it for long period than push start or call Harley Service to tow your bike. Considering they charge ~5000 to tow the bike after the warranty / extended warranty period.

But again. You can add this any time and not a basic must at this point.

What color is your bike and when is it expected? Have they given any specific date? I guess last few days are hard to wait. Enjoy your ride mate.
Dust_Harl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 15:21   #435
BHPian

Thanks Dust Harl.
I am going through the financing part now. Hope the ride will be mine in next week.
It is a vivid black Superlow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks