Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2016, 07:49   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Lovely travelogue Avi. 👍👍
Just itching to get home n start riding my Blondelle.😁
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Good tip on the brake lever adjustment. I haven't been too happy with the brakes either. Let me move the lever to a farther position and check. I ride on setting five at the moment.

Great ride trip by the way. Man I love the strawberries at mahabs.
Thanks Guys. Can't wait for the All-India meet to happen so we all can ride together

Ramana : If your lever is at 5; it feels too close and gives the feeling that it might break anytime. I moved it from 3->1 and now it feels perfect and can safely say I'm quite happy with overall braking system
Old 12th June 2016, 00:35   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Great to read your adventures with the Dark Knight, mobike008. Im sure your thread will be a great reference point for any potential buyers out there, so keep those exciting posts coming in.

BTW from your pictures it looks as though your bike is still on temporary registration, legally shouldnt it be registered by now?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 09:18   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Great to read your adventures with the Dark Knight, mobike008. Im sure your thread will be a great reference point for any potential buyers out there, so keep those exciting posts coming in.
Thanks. Glad to know that my thread will be informative for future buyers. Well, I'm just sharing every minute detail which might seem like an overload of information but, someone might just benefit out of it

Quote:
BTW from your pictures it looks as though your bike is still on temporary registration, legally shouldnt it be registered by now?
Yes. It is still under T/R which is also legally generated by the government while taking delivery of bike. I was waiting for a special number (8055) but, I missed it once due to my travel and I might wait maximum until next week for next series if it doesn't work out will get whatever comes my way. Same goes for the Speed Tripple he too is waiting for a number and our odometer reading is similar as is our buying time-period

Yesterday went to the Kawasaki service center and got the chain tightened and they washed bike and then cleaned/lubed the chain and charged me a nominal INR 200/- for this service

Incidentally this morning a small spin to check air-pressure and topping fuel made the Dark Knight reach 4000kms on the odometer

It has been simply a brilliant journey !!!

4000 kms !!!

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_9541.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 10:20   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yes. It is still under T/R which is also legally generated by the government while taking delivery of bike. I was waiting for a special number (8055) but, I missed it once due to my travel and I might wait maximum until next week for next series if it doesn't work out will get whatever comes my way. Same goes for the Speed Tripple he too is waiting for a number and our odometer reading is similar as is our buying time-period
Thanks mobike008, I was under the impression that one could use a new vehicle under temporary registration only for up to 30 days after delivery and after that they have to get a permanent registration. Since you had taken delivery in March, I was wondering about the legality aspect, looks like I might have been misinformed on the 30 days bit.

4000 kms already, wow !
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 18:56   #185
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. It is still under T/R which is also legally generated by the government while taking delivery of bike.

Yesterday went to the Kawasaki service center and got the chain tightened and they washed bike and then cleaned/lubed the chain and charged me a nominal INR 200/- for this service

4000 kms !!!

Attachment 1516943
Really enjoyed your long ride narration. Munching kms @100 in poor section speaks a lot about it's ride quality. I'm using Z800 and it does not feel that bad under poor sections of road. Definitely need to try versys to know the difference.

Here at kerala, they allow to us TR plates for one month only. You've get it registered within a month, else pay the fine.

What's the interval you follow for chain cleaning & lubing? Kawasaki guys says, 500kms odd. But then is it practical on a long ride?

Last edited by Vasuki : 12th June 2016 at 18:57.
Old 13th June 2016, 08:38   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Really enjoyed your long ride narration. Munching kms @100 in poor section speaks a lot about it's ride quality. I'm using Z800 and it does not feel that bad under poor sections of road. Definitely need to try versys to know the difference.
100+ speeds not 100kmph

Take a test ride and let us know how you feel about the ride quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
What's the interval you follow for chain cleaning & lubing? Kawasaki guys says, 500kms odd. But then is it practical on a long ride?
Believe you me ! Before the Mahabaleshwar trip I had lubed the chain some 400kms ago. Then I did 1300kms kms.

Essentially, the Dark Knight underwent a chain cleaning and lubing after nearly 1800kms. Same goes for the Speed Tripple as we never bothered to do it during the trip

Cleaning and Lubing at 500kms is an overkill as we don't ride in extreme dusty conditions.

I would do it once every 1000kms

P.S: After the chain tightening, cleaning and lubing the chain the bike rides much better. Overall there is a taut and smooth feeling !!!
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 10:57   #187
BHPian

Quote:
100+ speeds not 100kmph

Believe you me ! Before the Mahabaleshwar trip I had lubed the chain some 400kms ago. Then I did 1300kms kms.

Essentially, the Dark Knight underwent a chain cleaning and lubing after nearly 1800kms. Same goes for the Speed Tripple as we never bothered to do it during the trip

Cleaning and Lubing at 500kms is an overkill as we don't ride in extreme dusty conditions.

I would do it once every 1000kms

P.S: After the chain tightening, cleaning and lubing the chain the bike rides much better. Overall there is a taut and smooth feeling !!!
mobike008,
Wonderful trip report and mouth watering pictures of the fruits/food.

I strongly recommend to try and keep the chain lubed for every 500 kms or for whatever distance before the chain goes dry. Never let the chain go dry and it has a very strong bearing on the life of the chain. Among the Ninja owners, people who never let the chain go dry got a very good life for more than 30k kms. For the others, it lasted not even for 20k kms. These chains cost anywhere around 25k INR. Apart from the cost, a well lubed chain will also give you a good ride quality.
shan_ned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 11:09   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I strongly recommend to try and keep the chain lubed for every 500 kms or for whatever distance before the chain goes dry. Never let the chain go dry and it has a very strong bearing on the life of the chain. Among the Ninja owners, people who never let the chain go dry got a very good life for more than 30k kms. For the others, it lasted not even for 20k kms. These chains cost anywhere around 25k INR. Apart from the cost, a well lubed chain will also give you a good ride quality.
Well, my comment below by no means should be taken as a confirmation that I'm ignoring taking care of the chain

I have always been diligently cleaning and lubing the chain. But, as mentioned before 500kms is an overkill for me personally so I will stick to 1000kms
Old 13th June 2016, 11:32   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks mobike008, I was under the impression that one could use a new vehicle under temporary registration only for up to 30 days after delivery and after that they have to get a permanent registration. Since you had taken delivery in March, I was wondering about the legality aspect, looks like I might have been misinformed on the 30 days bit.
One needs to extend it again, if not it is not valid afer 30 days. So yes you are right about 1 month period. Avi would have extended it i guess, in BLR they give red temp plates that can be used for people waiting for "special/vip numbers".

This running around in yellow plates is a phenomenon i have seen in erstwhile AP, like they get a feeling that vehicle is new as long as they keep the sticker and ribbon on So many of them there. One good thing about KA that way, without a valid number temp (red) or perm one can't run around without facing law.

Quote:
But, as mentioned before 500kms is an overkill for me personally so I will stick to 1000kms
Not really, i have observed the chains for quite a while now. They do get dry in 500-600 kms in our climate. Riding in rain OR long and fast runs will reduce this duration. One doesn't really need to clean the chain, but carrying the lube and spraying it makes sense. Will extend chain life of O ring type chains considerably, avoid issues like uneven slack and rough sounding chain in the long run.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th June 2016 at 11:34.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 11:44   #190
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

That was a wonderful trip Avi! Good to see that you are enjoying the Versys to the fullest. 4000 kms already you're putting in more miles than you did in the Bonnie. Since you have ridden both the bikes extensively, Would be good to have a comparison on the Bonnie vs Versys.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 16:38   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Not really, i have observed the chains for quite a while now. They do get dry in 500-600 kms in our climate. Riding in rain OR long and fast runs will reduce this duration. One doesn't really need to clean the chain, but carrying the lube and spraying it makes sense. Will extend chain life of O ring type chains considerably, avoid issues like uneven slack and rough sounding chain in the long run.
That's a good suggestion. I think carrying a small lubing can for long trips won't hurt much. Will keep that in mind for future trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
That was a wonderful trip Avi! Good to see that you are enjoying the Versys to the fullest. 4000 kms already. you're putting in more miles than you did in the Bonnie. Since you have ridden both the bikes extensively, Would be good to have a comparison on the Bonnie vs Versys.
Thanks Allen ! The urge to ride is becoming uncontrollable with the Versys

Since I have now clocked 4000kms, I think I'm qualified now to compare the Versys vs. Bonnie

Will post that comparison very soon on this thread !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2016, 23:10   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
One needs to extend it again, if not it is not valid afer 30 days. So yes you are right about 1 month period. Avi would have extended it i guess, in BLR they give red temp plates that can be used for people waiting for "special/vip numbers".

This running around in yellow plates is a phenomenon i have seen in erstwhile AP, like they get a feeling that vehicle is new as long as they keep the sticker and ribbon on So many of them there. One good thing about KA that way, without a valid number temp (red) or perm one can't run around without facing law.
I wasnt aware that you could extend it, thanks for sharing. I am most interested in hearing about the actual RTO procedures involved in this.

Quote:
Since I have now clocked 4000kms, I think I'm qualified now to compare the Versys vs. Bonnie

Will post that comparison very soon on this thread !!
mobike008, could you provide details on how you got the temporary registration extended? Some of the questions that I could think of are
- Any additional paperwork or is it a straightforward extension?
- How long can you get it extended by?
- What if you dont get the desired permanent registration number in the above mentioned extended period? Can you get another extension?
- How much does the extension cost?
- Any issues with insurance? Im sure the insurance company must be following up with you on the permanent registration.

Do add any further details that I might have missed out on listing.

Also if you have any friends who own a Himalayan and you get to experience the bike, please let us know your usual meticulously thorough, impartial feedback on the same. Initial reports suggest that in offroad conditions, the Himalayan can easily do what more expensive machines can, so it will be interesting to hear an unbiased owner's experiences as well.

Needless to say, looking forward to the updates on this great thread from this weekend's biking adventures with the 'Dark Knight'.
Old 19th June 2016, 12:43   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wasnt aware that you could extend it, thanks for sharing. I am most interested in hearing about the actual RTO procedures involved in this.
Refer last line, http://rto.kar.nic.in/Temporary%20Regn.htm i have done this a decade back, but i remember i had paid fee again and submitted one more set of application and a letter to the RTO in kerala. I needed extension only for a week or so and had contacts working in the office, so they helped me with it. I just went filled the forms and paid the fee.
Old 20th June 2016, 09:46   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mobike008, could you provide details on how you got the temporary registration extended? Some of the questions that I could think of are
- Any additional paperwork or is it a straightforward extension?
- How long can you get it extended by?
- What if you dont get the desired permanent registration number in the above mentioned extended period? Can you get another extension?
- How much does the extension cost?
- Any issues with insurance? Im sure the insurance company must be following up with you on the permanent registration.
My agent is taking care of everything as I neither have the time nor patience to track each and every thing

Here you go :

http://transport.telangana.gov.in/ht...istration.html

And, yeah the insurance is valid as it's issued on T/R and not T/C so there is no problems on that front

Quote:
Also if you have any friends who own a Himalayan and you get to experience the bike, please let us know your usual meticulously thorough, impartial feedback on the same. Initial reports suggest that in offroad conditions, the Himalayan can easily do what more expensive machines can, so it will be interesting to hear an unbiased owner's experiences as well.
Well, I used to ride a bullet in the past and still think it's a wonderful motorcycle for slow speed cruising

However, once you move out of that category of motorcycles and get into the SBK levels it is difficult to ride alongside a bullet simply for the reason that they cannot keep pace with SBK motorcycles

So it is very rare to find H riding with SBK's and if they do then they are really good friends and friend on SBK has to ride at really slow speeds to keep the H part of ride. There is nothing superiority complex or anything like that but, simple facts

Coming to your question, No I did not get opportunity to ride the H yet as none of my current riding friends own it ( I lost touch with most of the Bullet Group-Wanderer friends)

Comparing a Himalayan with Versys is little funny even if it's made to believe that it can do whatever the Versys can do most of the times.

Both are different segments of motorcycle and you will see a MAJOR difference in EVERY aspect of below :

1. Power Delivery
2. Smoothness
3. Torque
4. Braking with ABS
5. Saddle Comfort
6. SUSPENSION
7. Cornering Abilities
8. High Speed Cruising

Is there anything left?

I have a strong feeling where Himalayan will trump Versys is on Off-road conditions since it's a lighter bike and comes with knobby tyres. Whereas V is shod with road-based tyres. If Versys is also shod with knobby tyres it might do a good job off-road but, it's weight might still be a big hindrance. Anyways, Versys was never meant for hard-core off-roading and is meant to be beaten around bad/broken roads which it takes to like a fish to water

Versys has been already compared with a Tiger 800 and reviewer has found it better than the Tiger 800

Let's wait for some popular publication to do something similar with a Himalayan vs. Versys comparison

It would be an interesting to see the results and it would be an eye-opener if they pronounce Himalayan as a better motorcycle overall

Till then let's just chuckle at this thought !!!

Quote:
Needless to say, looking forward to the updates on this great thread from this weekend's biking adventures with the 'Dark Knight'.
Been terribly busy as usual with travel and haven't even laid eyes on the Dark Knight since last 10 days

Not sure when I can do another adventure. Rest assured if it's done then it will be shared here !

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th June 2016 at 09:58.
Old 27th June 2016, 11:31   #195
Senior - BHPian

How difficult is it to maneuver in traffic with just toes touching the ground? I tried the seating position on Versys, but only could only tip-toe the bike. Whereas in Ninja 300/650, I could easily place my feet completely on the ground.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks