Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2016, 19:57   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I had custom built L brackets angled with additional support attached to the indicator bolts. Its a DIY and i actually used a ruler and measurement to get the final result. I basically made the aux sit below the indicator and had a cut off switch via relay to manage power to the lights.
VW2010, Can you please post a picture of your bike along with those bracket modifications? And, which motorcycle are we talking about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
From where did you source Fender Extender? It is Pyramid make, I presume.
Yes. It is Pyramid make and I sourced it from Big Bad Bikes from Bangalore for INR 2060

Quote:
I've too ordered for PUIG windscreen for Z800. Just anxious, is it safe at high speeds, because as per Kawasaki manual incorrectly installed components can seriously alter the riding composure?
It is absolutely safe to ride at high speeds as primary purpose of these screens is to protect you from wind-blast at those speeds. Even though the stock screen for Versys is brilliant as it's adjustable and at higher position is good for majority of reasons.

But, at high speeds there is certainly a wind deflection on the helmet which shakes your head to some extent which will be completely eliminated by PUIG

Today about 40 PUIG screens landed from Spain and they were sold instantly like hot vada pav in monsoon weather . And, some of the folks got a good deal due to a group buy but, I'm always the unlucky bloke and will get mine over the weekend at a much higher rate

Some of the Bombay Versys owners got it fitted this afternoon and their initial feedback is euphoric as they are experiencing zero wind-blast and one BHPian from Bombay says he feels like riding inside a car

Can't wait to get my hands on them. Till then a couple of pictures of the PUIG screen below for your viewing pleasure

Beautiful Design & Tint (Light Smoke)

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-1.jpg

Indeed feels like seeing through a car. Right?

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-2.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th July 2016 at 20:00.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 21:19   #227
BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

It is absolutely safe to ride at high speeds as primary purpose of these screens is to protect you from wind-blast at those speeds. Even though the stock screen for Versys is brilliant as it's adjustable and at higher position is good for majority of reasons.

But, at high speeds there is certainly a wind deflection on the helmet which shakes your head to some extent which will be completely eliminated by PUIG
My god this is really big. Big would be a understatement.

I understand these screens are for wind blast protection, but my question is whether it can withstand, may I say +180 speeds? It is 3mm in thickness and also is the accessories used for fitting it to the handlebar will it sustain the wind blast for seasons?

BTW Z800 screen is comparatively small.

Last edited by Vasuki : 6th July 2016 at 21:21.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 01:21   #228
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Avi,

Thanks for your response on my points

Here are links to some of the switches I could find. These look like OE items and would not look out of place.

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-16369519201844666101.jpg
Universal Motorcycle Handlebar Fog Light Switch ON-OFF Button Switch 12VDC For U5 U7 LED Head Lamp Angel Eyes Light
http://s.aliexpress.com/URNJzeAR
(from AliExpress Android)

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-11054145811535669327.jpg
Motorcycle Switches Bullet Connector Handlebar Switches ON/OFF Button Connector push button switch Motorbike Accessories
http://s.aliexpress.com/BNFbuEVj
(from AliExpress Android)

Regarding that windscreen - wow that's huge. But I believe on a tall bike like the Versys the seating position is very upright. And couple that with the tall seat height. hence you will need a tall windscreen.

On a Z800 or any other naked bike, you are seated lower, bent forward and crouched a bit. Hence a smaller windscreen is sufficient. I believe the Z800 windscreen is almost half the size of the Versys'.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 09:28   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can say that again

Btw, I understand that screen is at lowest position. Can you see the visor on top? That is adjustable and can be pulled up even more so imagine it will certainly feel like riding inside a car

Highway riding just got little more pleasurable

Quote:
I understand these screens are for wind blast protection, but my question is whether it can withstand, may I say +180 speeds? It is 3mm in thickness and also is the accessories used for fitting it to the handlebar will it sustain the wind blast for seasons?
Vasuki : Yet again this concern never crossed my mind. I'm confident that these screens can withstand those speeds and even more too as these are meant for these bikes which are capable of such speeds.

Let me give you an example of my Coocase. There is a speed rating of maximum 120kmph on it and during my Mahabaleshwar ride I rode with Coocase at speeds that is unmentionable on the forum and it was rock solid and there was absolutely zero issues except for the lighting wire getting loose (but, that was due to bad roads)

So rest your fears and just ensure you install the screen properly and bring up the speeds "gradually" if you are really concerned of their durability

Quote:
I have seen the PUIG as well as MRA screen for Z800 and yeah they are almost puny in comparison to Versys..LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hello Avi,

Thanks for your response on my points

Here are links to some of the switches I could find. These look like OE items and would not look out of place.
Hey Allen : Thanks a bunch for these links. I'm a late entrant to Ali Express world as I discovered them just a few months ago

Looks pretty decent. Will order them.

Check out the mods done to this Versys 650. Pretty neat 'eh? He seems to be in love with Yellow...Even the bash plate is painted yellow..Haha!

Next in line is to get the beak which looks pretty cool !!!

One Airfare to Bangkok and we can haul back the whole accessories list in under a lakh

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th July 2016 at 09:30.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 09:41   #230
BHPian

Avi,
Been watching this thread with envy and was almost tempted to buy the versys but on second thought, I decide to make the Bonnie more bad road friendly.

Just a point of caution: the screen will make riding in the heat horrible as unlike a car, there's no Airconditioner on the bike and it gets very hot without any air flow
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 09:54   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post

Just a point of caution: the screen will make riding in the heat horrible as unlike a car, there's no Airconditioner on the bike and it gets very hot without any air flow

In he top most position slight air does come in from below the screen, enough to not make you sweat.

Quote:

A friend in the MVG (Mumbai Versys Group) does Mumbai Ahmedabad pretty often with this Puig Screen, and yes he does speed in that range more or less.

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th July 2016 at 10:06. Reason: Merging back to back posts
daverm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 10:04   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avi,
Been watching this thread with envy and was almost tempted to buy the versys but on second thought, I decide to make the Bonnie more bad road friendly.
Thanks! Versys 650 is almost everything that Bonnie is not. Handles better, Rides better, More Roomier and only thing you will miss is the instant torque in the Bonnie

You will enjoy long distance touring on Versys immensely so I would say it would be a great upgrade if long distance touring is primary purpose which I know for sure is indeed the primary purpose for us leisure motorcycle enthusiasts...correct?

I used to miss the Bonnie in the initial days but, I got over it now like how you get over an ex-flame

Now I'm thoroughly enjoying the Versys

Quote:
Man, you guys bring out concerns that never cross my mind..LOL!

Honestly speaking when you are riding; air flow is not just from front but, you get air from a 360" degrees and it will certainly keep you cool even in summers as long as you are wearing the ventilated gear (jacket/gloves etc.)

But, I will keep this point in mind and will report back if there is any truth in your observation
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 11:33   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Y That is adjustable and can be pulled up even more so imagine it will certainly feel like riding inside a car

Highway riding just got little more pleasurable

Check out the mods done to this Versys 650. Pretty neat 'eh? He seems to be in love with Yellow...Even the bash plate is painted yellow..Haha!
Holy cow , you'r saying that it can be pulled up even further. Now that's into cruisers territory. Enjoy.

The bloke mentioned in video, looks like to want the town painted in Yellow. Can the stock battery hold all these gizmo’s? Looks like he will visit battery service station sooner than later.

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th July 2016 at 11:54. Reason: Please avoid quoting emoticons, videos, pictures etc. Thanks!
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 12:55   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed feels like seeing through a car. Right?
This silly doubt is bothering me, hence asking, sorry if its too dumb; How do you manage when its raining? like car don't you need a wiper?

On another note, congrats for your Dark Knight and I have been lurking around this thread since many days.

Regards,
-Badri
Full_Minchingu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 17:09   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Minchingu View Post
This silly doubt is bothering me, hence asking, sorry if its too dumb; How do you manage when its raining? like car don't you need a wiper?
Now that's a fantastic question. The glass is constructed in such a way that the water tapers down when it's lashing out but, the water will still trickle down the windshield and will hamper your vision if it's raining really hard

Just same as when riding in rains with helmet you can still see through the visor but, when it rains hard you will have to wipe the water from the visor ( I do that atleast since I wear glasses)

Bottom line, it is not a constraint for riding in drizzle or low intensity rains which I had done several times in past (riding in rains is so much fun and I don't miss any opportunity to ride in them)

But, when it's pouring cats and dogs. I like to park on the side and sip on a hot cuppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Minchingu View Post
On another note, congrats for your Dark Knight and I have been lurking around this thread since many days.
Thanks! Good to see you finally step forward and share your thoughts
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 12:53   #236
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Just a point to add, when viewed from front, It's gonna scare the hell out of everyone when viewed from the front. Sheer bulk, Big nose and this monsterous windscreen !

Mobike, Does the stock mounts of the visor will be able to hold the weight of the bigger windscreen?

I am glued to your thread. And do put pics of the finalised Versys-PAN india group sticker
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2016, 13:23   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Just a point to add, when viewed from front, It's gonna scare the hell out of everyone when viewed from the front. Sheer bulk, Big nose and this monsterous windscreen !

That was the first thought that came to mind. Indeed when viewed from the front the bike looks very big/tall (without Puig) but, with this new screen addition, it will look as you rightly said "monstrous" and will stop traffic which is a bad thing..LOL!

Quote:
Mobike, Does the stock mounts of the visor will be able to hold the weight of the bigger windscreen?
I do not know the difference in weight from stock screen to Puig but, these screens are made specifically for Versys 650/1000 and one of our Pan-India member has installed it nearly 2 months ago and does some high speed riding between Bombay and Ahmedabad and he is super happy with it's performance and is one of the main reason for entire Versys fraternity buying this screen

Imagine when all of us meet it, our fun would be doubly accentuated by Puig screens due to their sheer size..Haha!

Quote:
I am glued to your thread. And do put pics of the finalised Versys-PAN india group sticker
Sure I have a couple of W.I.P pictures that I can share which are almost good to go. Will post it shortly

Btw, I had proposed Nagpur but, meet location changed to Bidar (stone throw away from Hyderabad) as one of the owner is a fighter pilot and based there and he now might be posted out so we might go back to Nagpur as our meet location. Everything is pretty fluid right now

All of above non-withstanding 3 of Hyd V owners are riding to Bidar on July 23 to meet the fighter pilot and challenge his Su-30

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th July 2016 at 13:25.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 09:41   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, our Pan-India Versys group is absolutely an eclectic mix of people from all fields of life. Airforce Pilots, Commercial Pilots, Merchant Navy, Business, IT organizations, Motorcycle automotive designers and last but not the least there are a few folks who have taken a sabbatical from their work and bought the Versys just to RIDE

This logo was conceived and designed by one of the owner who works as an automotive designer for a large motorcycle company and this logo is more or less finalized unless some of us give more ideas/inputs to improve it

One of the V owners from Hyderabad even got a T-shirt made from this design
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-1.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-2.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th July 2016 at 10:01. Reason: spell error
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 09:03   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend (July 9th & July 10th) covered below kilometers and it was an impromptu overnighter trip with the sole purpose of just meeting some friends for dinner on a Saturday

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-kms.jpg

Details and pictures coming up shortly....

To say that it was an adventure trip would be an understatement
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 12:33   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore Ride Report (July 9th, 2016)_Onward Journey of 600kms

As it always happens with me, I do things on the fly because planning has never been my forte. Maybe the thrill of doing such things have much deeper impact than planned trips. Also since these are just 2 day trips not much of planning is required. The idea for riding to Bangalore (600kms one-way) to meet friends and enjoy an evening of partying and good food was on the anvil for several weeks now but, it will happen previous weekend was something we knew only a couple of days before the actual journey.

That adds to the fun, won't it?

We booked the hotel a day before and were all set to ride/drive to Bangalore on July 9th morning

I had initially conceived this plan and primary objective as usual is to ride the motorcycle and enjoy the journey (but, this time with wifey). She normally prefers to avoid and let me do my boy trips but, this time surprisingly she was insistent that she would join and also was adamant that she would be riding pillion all the way.

Got couple of other BHPian' s interested who wanted to join with their spouses and overnight the plan got firmed up and they would be joining in their rides ( Elantra (Lucifer1881), Polo TSI (Rajesh.Rawal) and Indica (CtrlAtlDel)--who had a separate plan but, same timeframe) with a total of 6 pax and a child. But, the Indica BHPian (Andy) ditched us and drove away early in the morning (he left at 4:00am) and would be joining us for dinner in evening in Bangalore. Our plan us to leave around 6:30am-7:00am so we that we can reach by 2:00pm right in time for lunch even if we keep a leisurely pace.

Sigh! But, god had different plans for us that day.

Rohit (lucifer1881) was raring to go and arrived well before time (6:00am) at my home as we had to load our luggage in his car and off we went towards our meeting point which was near the Hyderabad Airport. we took the service road (Motorcycles are not allowed on ORR) until the meeting point and met Rajesh and family around 6:45am. After a little chit-chat, a quick snap we promptly left that point at 7:00am. Initially, kept a slow pace and had planned to stop for breakfast at Kurnool which was 180kms away. We reached Kurnool around 8:30am and stopped for breakfast which lasted a good hour and all of us digged into a sumptuous hot breakfast consisting of poori and dosas.

We then continued our journey towards Bangalore. As most know there is reasonable amount of traffic until Kurnool and beyond that the traffic thins down considerably. From hereon, we kept a brisk pace but, little after 50kms is when the nightmare started

Crosswinds : I'm not sure how many of you experienced crosswinds? All of you must have experienced it at some point in your road trips. But, what we experienced that day was a "Tsunami" of crosswinds. From the 300km point till we almost reached Bangalore (which is almost equi-distance) the crosswinds was so heavy that I on the bike was almost thrown off the road 3-4 times (I had requested wifey to move to car due to safety reasons as it required me to have extreme focus to be safe. So I rode through this 300kms of torture alone)

Below are some key observations during this 300kms journey of passing through some serious crosswinds on this highway which is a fully 4-lane divided road :

1. Crosswind was blowing heavily from right side and it was literally pushing my face/helmet towards the left and I had to use all my neck strength to push my face to right to see the roads straight ahead (Whew. Imagine!)

2. My helmet strap was continuously flapping towards my neck and left me bruised (Yeah, that's right)

3. I tried keeping the motorcycle to right of central white line so that in event of me getting pushed to left, i have some space and not go off the road into the green-fields

4. For nearly 200kms+ I was just not able to cross 90kmph and if I increase speed to 95kmph then the bike would dangerously sway towards the left and almost felt like I will be swept off the bike and fly away. This feeling especially was accentuated in every wide turns which are plenty on this highway

5. There was an instance where a bunch of buffaloes were crossing the road from left towards the divider and I nearly missed one as it came running and I decided to increase the speed to beat the running buffalo and this was in middle of this windy tsunami. Braking was not an option as I was at 90kmph speeds so increasing the speed with bike swaying was the only option. That was one close call. Thanks to god !!

6. Believe you me, Indica BHPian (Andy) called in between to warn us of the heavy cross winds as he thought his car punctured as it almost swayed off the road. Well, even the TSI, Elantra had a tough time as some instances their car too went through mother nature's powerful showcase that day. They too had to grip the wheel hard to ensure the car stays in a straight line

Well, honestly speaking I never experienced anything like this in my entire life and some stretches it was so bad that I almost felt like stopping the bike and wait for wind to settle down as i was getting exhausted and stressed due to extreme focus required to stay afloat on that motorcycle

While all this drama was going on I suddenly experienced a strong lurch on the bike at high speed and the Versys came to a sudden stop and it was yet again a close call as it took me completely by surprise. I was fuming and taken aback thinking how can a Japanese product let me down in the middle of the highway? Convoy stopped little ahead seeing my predicament and then I restarted the Versys and it rode for 200 meters and sputtered and died again. I was totally aghast and was getting all wild thoughts of complaining to Kawasaki India then Rajesh in his usual witty style asked me "Petrol Hai kya (Is petrol there in the bike)?".

I opened the fuel tank and it was "DRY". Even though the fuel gauge had the bar blinking didn't think it would just die on me like that.

During that unusually high focus on the wind situation, I lost track of the fuel gauge observations and somehow let the tank go completely "DRY". As it was somewhere near Anantpur and people familiar with that route will know that is a barren piece of stretch with nothing much around. My sweet pals then went back several kms in one of the car while me and women folks in other car rested by the highway.

They came back some 30-40 minutes later with the petrol and we filled it with 2 liters of petrol and then rode for some 20kms before finding a petrol pump and refueled the motorcycle.

I learnt one thing about the Versys during this trip. If you drive sanely between 110-130kmph it'll return an amazing mileage of 24kmpl-25kmpl but, if you are gunning the engine then FE drops faster than a brick in water. You can expect a maximum of 18kmpl-20kmpl as the fuel gauge bar drops post half-mark like it was felled with an axe!!

During this windy situation, both cars ensured that they were covering me from front and back. It was a nice flanking strategy with TSI in front and Elantra flanking my back to ensure that I was safe. They commented that they can clearly view from inside the car that my motorcycle was all over the road and I was struggling to keep it in a straight line.

This nightmare continued till almost we reached Chickballapur which is outskirts of Bangalore (40kms-50kms) around 2:00pm and we stopped at a crowded restaurant (sign of fresh food) for our lunch as I needed the rest as I was exhausted (mentally). We enjoyed a fantastic south indian thali (one of the best in a long time) and resumed our journey to reach out hotel in Brigade/Residency Road around 4:00pm.

We rested for a few hours and then our evening stint with friends started at 7:30pm and went on till 4:00am !!!!!

So now you know why it took us 9+ hours to reach Bangalore which is 600kms away which normally takes 7 hours?

To be continued with details and pictures of return journey which was an adventure of a different kind. Till then here are a few pictures taken from the humble "iPhone"......

Full Group

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-full-group.jpg

Us

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-us.jpg

Odometer reading at beginning of this trip

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-starting-odometer.jpg

Nice capture by Rajesh

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-rvm-.jpg

Beaky look

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-beaky-look.jpg

So many more kms to travel to Bangalore

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-milestone.jpg

Resting Bum by standing on foot-peg...LOL!

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-footpeg.jpg

Looks really handsome from the front..eh?

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-frontal-versys.jpg

This is how we looked when viewed from inside the TSI

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-tsi-view.jpg

Posing in front of the many toll booths. Riding a motorcycle to Bangalore you save INR 1350 in toll money..LOL!

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-toll-versys.jpg

V for "Versys"

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-tsi-along-view_versys.jpg

Petrol fiasco happened here

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-petrol-fiasco.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-tsi-back-view_versys.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-tsi-footpeg.jpg

Aggu sitting on Bonnie chachu's motorcycle

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-aggu.jpg

Fantastic Thali at Chickballapur

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-thali.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th July 2016 at 13:17.
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks