Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 08:44   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Avi, redliner, urban nomad look what I did for her today those old fog lamps which I used in my duke are now in versys ! Will post more pics tomorrow !
Congratulation CGB! So you finally took the plunge. Now you can stand on the foot-peg and have conversations with a truck driver

Look forward to a ownership review! If not planning (Unfortunately like many who own on forum but, have never started a thread) do share a detailed feedback on this thread

Aux lights look good! Share the price and daylight pictures of where and how it was fixed. I can see it's fixed on crash guard. Is that Hepco guards?

Btw, Did Urban Nomad also buy the V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Welcome to journeys swiftly travelled.
I like this tag line. Patent it fast or likes of O&M will steal it pretty soon for one of their automobile ads

Quote:
Oh ho. There is absolutely no throw at all. Any throw that is available is provided by the high beam. I think its been mounted far too low to be of any effect. Please remount on the number plate mounts (relocate the numberplate) with a stronger clamp to see if it improves. Just a suggestion, doesnt need to be done ofcourse.
Come on Ramana, throw ain't too bad! I agree the spread isn't there much. But, the high beam seem enough for some decent 100kmph+ speeds at night which is more than enough

I haven't been riding for around 3 weeks now due to travel and heavy rains out here. Hope to uncover the wraps next week as even this week there is prediction for heavy rains which we all are getting fed up now.

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th September 2016 at 08:45.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 08:53   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

2nd Service Report (6800kms)

I have crossed 6000kms almost a month ago and ever since then the task of getting Dark Knight 2nd service lingered on my mind. However, due to the torrential rains out here for almost a month, I could not get this done

Last weekend it was nice and sunny and called up for an appointment in the morning and went in around noon. Some weeks ago had decided to change the oil brand since all other Versys owners were using the 7100 and I was the only one using 300V and went ahead and ordered 2 Litres from Amazon

Once the bike entered the ASC, it was nice to see that they dropped all work happening on tonnes of Duke's in the garage and dived straight into the Versys service

Following was done :

1. Bike was washed

2. Got it on a paddock stand and the chain was tightned, cleaned and lubed

3. Removed the old oil (300V) and was shocked to see the oil had become jet black and happy with decision to change the oil even though manual says oil change at 12,000kms. 300V life was only 7000kms so maybe due to that this oil had turned this black?

Inputs from experts requested? Should we change the oil at 2nd service ( 6000kms) even though the manual says oil change is due at 3rd service (12,000kms)

4. New Oil was added (7100)

5. Changed the Oil Filter

I requested them to clean the air filter but, it was beyond 2:00pm and they wanted to go for lunch and come back in an hour. And, it was atleast an hour work as the air filter is below the tank and needs to be removed cleaned thoroughly and put it back. So I decided to give it a skip and get it done later. Anyways, as per manual the air filter replacement is at 12,000kms

Air filter cleaning is mandatory at 6000kms? It sits below the tank and according to the SA it will not get too dusty. Any thoughts?

The whole shebang described above was completed in 2 hours and I was handed over a bill of Rs.1984 (1000 for Service, 676 for Oil Filter, 200 for chain lubing, remaining was taxes)

So including oil which costed me Rs.805 per liter and 1.9 liters went into the bike the whole service costed me ~ Rs.3,600

Next day went for a solo ride of 200kms and the bike has now become extremely smooth. Perhaps i'm over thinking but, same level of smoothness after 300V oil change was not felt.

Overall, a happy customer with 6,800kms on odometer after 7 months with extended period of not riding. Bad figures in my opinion

Check the old oil out

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_0804.jpg

Current odometer reading

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_0803.jpg

A few pics from yesterday's 200kms solo ride

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_0797.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-5.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-1.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:10   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Avi, the air filter must be cleaned if mildly dirty by pressurized air (not too hard or close) and must be replaced if it is full of muck. You'll need to go back and open up the bike and check the air filter out. I wouldn't recommend riding a bike with an air filter - the condition of which you have no idea about.

Yes, its a PIA to get this job done.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:56   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Avi, the air filter must be cleaned if mildly dirty by pressurized air (not too hard or close) and must be replaced if it is full of muck. You'll need to go back and open up the bike and check the air filter out. I wouldn't recommend riding a bike with an air filter - the condition of which you have no idea about.
You are absolutely right! I didn't want to leave the ASC without that job done but, since that day (Saturday) being the 1st day of Navratri pooja and I had to reach home before 3:00pm and could not wait for these guys to finish their lunch and then open up the bike

Quote:
Yes, its a PIA to get this job done.
Exactly the reason I got it deffered to a later date. I just rode 200kms and will not be riding until next weekend. Will get it cleaned/replaced by this Friday/Saturday
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:18   #350
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congratulation CGB! So you finally took the plunge. Now you can stand on the foot-peg and have conversations with a truck driver

Look forward to a ownership review! If not planning (Unfortunately like many who own on forum but, have never started a thread) do share a detailed feedback on this thread

Aux lights look good! Share the price and daylight pictures of where and how it was fixed. I can see it's fixed on crash guard. Is that Hepco guards?
I'll share the mounting pictures soon. They are puig crash guards and mounted the lights on them.
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:27   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll share the mounting pictures soon. They are puig crash guards and mounted the lights on them.
Not just that! How about a detailed feedback about the bike if not a full blown ownership report?

Btw, are you part of the Pan-India V group?
Old 5th October 2016, 02:33   #352
CGB
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 : The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begiw

The lights are mounted on puig engine guards held by the clamps. I hope the pics clarify the mount of the fog lights.
The wiring has:
1- switch
2- Connection from battery terminals and connect to aux port
3- hella relay
4- 5A fuse

The wiring was done similar to the one in my D390.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_5102.jpg  

CGB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 09:54   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally after a really long wait, I got the Versys Pan India Group t-shirts delivered earlier this week

First a sample was delivered which was not liked by most as the logo on the front and back were really small and looked out of place. Most of us were unsatisfied with it

This revised version is a lot better. Even though I would have preferred the logo to be even larger

But, hey! it's a good begining

Got myself a pair

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-4.jpg

Love this logo (This is on back)

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-6.jpg

This is on front left pocket area-Looks sinister

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-1.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-5.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 00:10   #354
sps
BHPian

From where did you source Puig engine guards?

Quote:
The lights are mounted on puig engine guards held by the clamps.
Old 11th October 2016, 23:49   #355
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
From where did you source Puig engine guards?
They are purchased from revzilla. Took around a month to deliver.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 15:57   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a bit embarrassing and thought a few times whether to share it or lock it up in the closet. But, I decided this happened to me for the first time so let me share it and laugh at myself at this incident.

Last weekend I was riding out solo (A few kilometers in city and then lot of kms outside the city) and I enjoy riding in city during early hours as it helps me understand the bike's behavior in light traffic, take some known curvy roads of the city etc. while I enjoyed a brisk city ride and about to head out of the city the traffic had slightly built up ( It was around 8:00am) and I stopped at a large intersection.

From side where I approached the intersection, the road is really bad (now after rains) and lots of patches and some reasonably deep potholes. I approached this signal and stopped at red light and waited for my turn

When the lights turned green, I took off in my inimitable style-1st gear, take off as if I have a plane to catch. I must have reached the middle of the intersection (about 20 yards away) when another biker from the left tries to beat his signal (actually it had already turned red but, as you know in India we dont stop at amber, we continue even after it turns to red--you know last minute squeezing out)

I slammed on the brakes and due to sudden deceleration, bike stalled and since the road was uneven/pot-holed-my right leg didn't reach the ground and I could feel the bike steadily tilting towards the right-side and I felt as helpless as a man amidst a hurricane. I just couldn't stop the fall. It kept falling, falling and then I resisted stopping it-Let it fall with a slight THUD!

Immediate Thought : There goes a few thousand rupees

I was sure there would be some damage to fairing or brake lever or something else.

Due to this fall, I was obstructing traffic in middle of an intersection. A fellow biker stopped and helped pull the bike up as under that circumstances, there was no way I could have pulled this 215kgs mammoth up.

I quietly gulped down my embarrasment and rode a few meters and halted on left to assess for any injury to me and Dark Knight. Thankfully, not a scratch on both of us and this just amazed me and put a big grin back on my beaming face.

Learnt a lesson: Keep revvs up in traffic, if bike stalls and falls on right, it's almost impossible to save the fall. Had the bike tilted towards left, it would have been a easy to stop the fall. Is this something to do of one being a right hander/left-hander?

Also need to keep a firm grip on handlebar. I like to keep a loose grip (City Riding) as it aids in zig-zag and manaveour the bike but, a firm grip (highway riding)

Not sure if any of you got into a similar incident but, it just makes me laugh to think of this incident !!

Here is a nice video on how to pick-up a motorcycle :

mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 16:25   #357
Senior - BHPian

Glad to hear that both you and DK escaped unhurt. But I have to say:

Quote:
When the lights turned green, I took off in my inimitable style-1st gear, take off as if I have a plane to catch.

Learnt a lesson:...........
The one and only lesson to be learnt from this entire episode is to not Blaze off from red lights but be super alert till you cross the intersection. Heck, I even take cover next to a bigger vehicle till I have safely crossed the "danger zone", even though overtaking them would be an absolute breeze
Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 16:40   #358
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
if bike stalls and falls on right, it's almost impossible to save the fall. Had the bike tilted towards left, it would have been a easy to stop the fall. Is this something to do of one being a right hander/left-hander?
Yes. It is being decided with left/right hander. Avi, just one piece of advise- If she falls down slowly, let her touch the ground. Dont try to push yourself to save the bike and you end up getting cramps. If you could balance, then no worries.

Another way to lift your bike: Never lift the bike with your biceps. When she falls, go around her and lift her with your back straight. (ie) squat position in gym. This will prevent any unforeseen injuries to you

Sorry for the poor english to describe it.
CGB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 17:16   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The one and only lesson to be learnt from this entire episode is to not Blaze off from red lights but be super alert till you cross the intersection. Heck, I even take cover next to a bigger vehicle till I have safely crossed the "danger zone", even though overtaking them would be an absolute breeze
That's a nice recommendation and pretty sane too. But, you see sometimes it's hard to fight off those urges, if you know what I mean

Quote:
Yes. It is being decided with left/right hander. Avi, just one piece of advise- If she falls down slowly, let her touch the ground. Dont try to push yourself to save the bike and you end up getting cramps. If you could balance, then no worries.
This happened quite suddenly and rather unexpectedly as I never thought the bike would stall. With my 6.1 height gave me a bit of an overconfident streak that I cannot fall due to my positive height situation but, Versys brought me down to earth pretty quickly

Quote:
Another way to lift your bike: Never lift the bike with your biceps. When she falls, go around her and lift her with your back straight. (ie) squat position in gym. This will prevent any unforeseen injuries to you
Thanks for this advice. I know in moment of adrenaline rush-we lift the bike in whatever fashion we want to overcome that situation and hurt the back in an irreparable way

Quote:
Sorry for the poor english to describe it.
Well, I never referred to oxford so I wouldn't know...LOL!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 18:12   #360
Senior - BHPian

Good that you escaped without any injuries. Close call! On signals, I am never the first one to take off, I always keep someone on my right as a buffer between any idiots and me

Quote:
....my right leg didn't reach the ground and I could feel the bike steadily tilting towards the right-side and I felt as helpless as a man amidst a hurricane. I just couldn't stop the fall. It kept falling, falling and then I resisted stopping it-Let it fall with a slight THUD!
This is my only worry with Versys. At 5'8" I am sure to face this situation at most uneven roads! So for medium height people, I guess height reduction is a necessity. I remember someone on this forum was going to try the height reduction kit on his Versys, wonder what happened to him.

Quote:
Avi, just one piece of advise- If she falls down slowly, let her touch the ground. Dont try to push yourself to save the bike and you end up getting cramps. If you could balance, then no worries.
This is a great advise. I heroically saved my N300 from falling in the office parking, and had to leave it there for a few days because my back was hurting like crazy! It would be better to gently drop it and then pick it up using the squats technique, rather than picking it up while sitting on it. You can and will throw your back out.B
ani_meher is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks