Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 16:39   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Avi, regarding the microdees, here's a link for the same-
http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/Lights1.html
I believe these come as standard in the 1200gs. The LED's are no doubt very cost effective and consume less power but the issue is they lack the range plus blinding for the oncoming traffic since the light gets scattered. I had used a pair of LEDs on my Karizma but was not happy with the reach. Instead i retrofitted a Hella comet 550 with a 55w HID along side with one of the LED lights. Result-the LED for the closer and the 550 for the longer distance.
Regarding the micro de, yes I had used but a single piece with a 35w 4300K HID (Couldnt afford the pair back in 2007) on my Unicorn which i had converted to full DC and the result was very satisfying. I am sure the Versys is very much capable of handling two 35 W HIDS. One of my friend and a bhpian owns a Karizma and runs two Hella Comet 550s retrofitted with 35 W HIDS without any issue with the battery draining off.
Regarding the cost, they do cost a bit somewhere close to 8k I guess for a pair but worth spending.
Reason for recommending- Small and compact plus Hella performance guaranteed as always.
PS- I have installed a pair of LED aux lights though smaller for the time being on my DS cl500.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 26th July 2016 at 16:43.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 18:15   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Avi, regarding the microdees, here's a link for the same-
http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/Lights1.html

Regarding the micro de, yes I had used but a single piece with a 35w 4300K HID (Couldnt afford the pair back in 2007) on my Unicorn which i had converted to full DC and the result was very satisfying. I am sure the Versys is very much capable of handling two 35 W HIDS. One of my friend and a bhpian owns a Karizma and runs two Hella Comet 550s retrofitted with 35 W HIDS without any issue with the battery draining off.
Regarding the cost, they do cost a bit somewhere close to 8k I guess for a pair but worth spending.
Reason for recommending- Small and compact plus Hella performance guaranteed as always.
PS- I have installed a pair of LED aux lights though smaller for the time being on my DS cl500.
Thanks Rakesh. Didn't quite understand what you outlined

Keeping in mind that Versys has a reserve of 55 watts that can be used for Aux lights the following to be considered if to be installed without a relay

1. Total wattage not to exceed 55 watts for both units (Left & Right)
2. Aux lights need to have both Spot & Spread
3. 6000 Lumens
4. Can choose between a 9 X 3 watts per unit OR 1 single unit of 27 watts

Now can you help me understand what is Hella Micro De specifications and where can it be bought in India?

I dont mind spending 8K (does that including mounting clamps too?) if it's good
Old 27th July 2016, 11:33   #288
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Last weekend, Bangalore Versys Riders had an overnight outing to Chikmagalur. Good roads, great bonding, superb weather and awesome food. A weekend well spent. Sharing some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-118.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-120.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-138.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-146.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-151.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-156.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-182.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 12:21   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Last weekend, Bangalore Versys Riders had an overnight outing to Chikmagalur. Good roads, great bonding, superb weather and awesome food. A weekend well spent. Sharing some pics.
Nasirkaka : Brilliant capture of the black beasts and they look eye-catching when lined up together

Few queries :

1. Which camera and lens did you use?

2. I assume that a few have their number plate as stickers on front fairing? Is Bangalore lenient as I thought you need to affix the Utsav plates which is mandatory now (At least here in Hyderabad it is)

3. Finally, any feedback that you can share either from your own experience or from your friends with respect to the Puig screen's performance?

What joke was cracked that Redliner is in splits and Rakesh seems to be in a pensive mood?
Old 27th July 2016, 15:58   #290
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Yes, 8 versys riding together was a sight. Am sure that ride will fetch some business to Kawasaki. Maybe we can ask them to sponsor our future rides

Quote:
1. Which camera and lens did you use?
D5200 nikon with a jack of all 18-250mm sigma lens.

Quote:
2. I assume that a few have their number plate as stickers on front fairing? Is Bangalore lenient as I thought you need to affix the Utsav plates which is mandatory now (At least here in Hyderabad it is)
Even i have the sticker on the visor and safe so far. Same case with others as well. Lets hope it stay that way and does not seek our cops attention.

Quote:
3. Finally, any feedback that you can share either from your own experience or from your friends with respect to the Puig screen's performance?
We had two bikes with Puig screen and did encounter some rain on the return leg. Both the screens were Clear and not smoky tint. I was on the OEM screen so no personal experience. But general feedback was it helps greatly reduce wind buffeting. Praveen reported some minor vibes from the screen at higher speeds, if i recollect correctly. But riding in rain was a bit of bother as mud and water splashed from the roads and passing vehicles reduced visibility. the screen had to be water cleaned couple of times. and this is during day light as we did not ride at night.
Quote:
What joke was cracked that Redliner is in splits and Rakesh seems to be in a pensive mood?
Redliner is like energizer bunny: Always charged and active. Rakesh must be giving some serious tips on bike/spares/maintenance?
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 16:08   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is another review of Versys 650 and surprisingly reviewer seems quite impressed with it's offroad capabilites as well :

mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 08:55   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

An Observation :

I have been enjoying riding on foot-pegs on the Versys and I keep practicing it each time I see bad roads, speed bumps or just an arrow straight back-road with greenery on sides

Just a simple act of standing on pegs is so enjoyable that it's beyond describable and it provides you with a majestic view from top of Mt.Everest (), wind blowing on to you and a general sense of peace is close to nirvana

However, all is not hunky dory if you are not careful when you are executing this act. Hence, a small piece of advice from experience

Ensure the following before standing on pegs :

1. Make sure you are in 6th gear or at-least 5th gear
2. Do not cross 75kmph
3. Slide your foot across the foot-pegs to find a good grip before standing
4. Standing on lower gears might throw a scare in you (happened a few times to me) as the accelaration goes off unconsciously and it might throw you off the bike due to the power/torque
5. If standing for extended periods, ensure it's a back-road and glance in RVM if no traffic coming from behind you before standing up

I'm blessed to be living in a city with fantastic roads, 4 lane freeways and also multiple back-roads running parallel to the freeway with mountainous circuits and little bit of off road conditions to enjoy the Versys to the full extent

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th August 2016 at 08:57.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 09:45   #293
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
[b]
Just a simple act of standing on pegs is so enjoyable that it's beyond describable and it provides you with a majestic view from top of Mt.Everest (), wind blowing on to you and a general sense of peace is close to nirvana
And a weird look from everyone when you stand atop the 'mountain'

One more point to add, your knees and elbows shouldn't be very taut. Keeping the knees slightly bent and closer to the tank gives you much control over the bike even to make turns. Elbows must be loose, becuase going over the pothole or bad roads wont disturb the balance and composure of the rider.

I am doing this on my D390 and happy with it
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 11:58   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
And a weird look from everyone when you stand atop the 'mountain'
Believe you me, when I'm standing on pegs, people gape at at this ~11 feet giant (5 feet + 6 feet) on stilts

Quote:
One more point to add, your knees and elbows shouldn't be very taut. Keeping the knees slightly bent and closer to the tank gives you much control over the bike even to make turns. Elbows must be loose, becuase going over the pothole or bad roads wont disturb the balance and composure of the rider.
Spot on! Agree that you need to keep the body loose and other than that it's good to lean forward for better control over the bike

Quote:
I am doing this on my D390 and happy with it
Nice. But, don't do it while carving corners on the D390
Old 4th August 2016, 12:47   #295
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Believe you me, when I'm standing on pegs, people gape at at this ~11 feet giant (5 feet + 6 feet) on stilts
Have ridden Himalayan and Versys. Himalayan gives a good view when you stand although it's not as tall as a versys. And facing the wind above the windshield (your case the barn wall ) is so surreal. Words cant explain it

Quote:
Nice. But, don't do it while carving corners on the D390
I have to be in the bike for corners and not on the bike
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2016, 13:27   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

These days getting time to ride on weekend is also becoming a challenge for multiple reasons and also coordination with friends not happening like it used to be before

Also ever since i got the Versys the urge to ride long distance is more than these type of 200kms breakfast rides which is fun since you haven't touched the motorcycle for the entire week but, still it's invoking a *yawn* as distance-wise it's so short

I reckon Versys has spoilt me completely as long-distance riding is what it wants

A short 200kms ride this morning with a Tiger and Bonnie and bumped into some friends who own Triumph bikes at the breakfast point (Hill-park on Bangalore Highway).

A pleasant surprise was to meet the 1st Versys owner from Hyderabad who rode in solo and we chatted up and rode back together. Here is the blog that 1st V owner of Hyderabad wrote sometime back :

https://onaversys.wordpress.com/2016...ometers-later/
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-4.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-3.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_5515.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_5514.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-1.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th August 2016 at 13:28.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 14:11   #297
BHPian

Versys is one beautiful bike.

I am seriously considering it as my next buy and hope I am able to buy it soon. Thanks for your thread which is pushing me towards Versys than n650
Old 8th August 2016, 08:28   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
I am seriously considering it as my next buy and hope I am able to buy it soon. Thanks for your thread which is pushing me towards Versys than n650
Kailash : Versys 650 is a better motorcycle in almost every aspect when compared to a Ninja 650 even though both bikes are built from the same platform

Since they are available for test rides, why don't you ride both of them and get the one you are most comfortable with?

Goodluck
Old 9th August 2016, 20:10   #299
Senior - BHPian

Rode with a versys and inline 4s last week . Enjoy the pix for now
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-tmp_17422psx_20160807_1417231252648895.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-tmp_17422psx_20160807_1414111366449167.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 21:33   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Rode with a versys and inline 4s last week . Enjoy the pix for now
Fantastic picture JK and pretty apt for this thread as it captured both my ex and present girlfriends 😜😬

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks