Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:09   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

^^ Thanks for sharing!

Query - Front brake pads alone cost RS 6400? Rear for 2700? Pads alone would cost me over 9K?

God this sucks! I tend to go through pads on my Katoom pretty quick but it doesn't really hurt the wallet. The Kwacker would make me cry for sure. Hope people look at some aftermarket options

On that note - how much does a set of pads from a reputed manufacturer like EBC cost?
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:58   #332
BHPian

re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 11,500 kms !!!

That was a real big nail and I know how it feels if the tyre gets punctured. Mushroom puncture kit seems to be a better option as hillram said and better to carry one while on long rides. I will get one for me as well.
Old 2nd September 2016, 19:33   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ Thanks for sharing!

Query - Front brake pads alone cost RS 6400? Rear for 2700? Pads alone would cost me over

On that note - how much does a set of pads from a reputed manufacturer like EBC cost?
Same price. Upgrading to steel lines is a given. Then you do the ebc fully sintered to go with them.

This bike isn't ridden aggressively like the Duke, it's a bit more laid back in short sprints. The pads should last unless you go nuts with the throttle in which case this is the absolute wrong bike to begin with. A super naked is good step up.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 11:53   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Query - Front brake pads alone cost RS 6400? Rear for 2700? Pads alone would cost me over 9K?
Yes it's 9K which I agree is on higher side but, when you buy into SKB category you should be prepared for such expenses

I would not compare it with a Duke with respect to how the Versys is ridden as well as the overall quality. So you can expect them to last much longer than the Duke brake pads ( btw, curious to know what's the interval you change? And, I assume you flog it always?)

Quote:
Good question. No idea but, would be a good option to explore. Anyone have any inputs, please do share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This bike isn't ridden aggressively like the Duke, it's a bit more laid back in short sprints. The pads should last unless you go nuts with the throttle in which case this is the absolute wrong bike to begin with. A super naked is good step up.
+1. Anyone coming from Duke would be looking at naked fast sports bike so a Street Tripple/Z800 is a natural upgrade which are good for shorter distances

Versys is predominantly a fast sports cruiser where you are supposed to be comfortable to cruise in 130-150kmph for long distances. However, it's no slouch and can be ridden aggressively like a DUKE

In preparation for unknown long rides in future, I got the COOCASE cushioned from a shop that is mecca for all bikers (mostly bulleteers) who does any job related to seats/cushioning amongst host of other things. Since he was a stone throw away from home, decided to pay them a visit where I found a nice solution for cushioning the coocase which was important as it would bite into the back of a pillion due to the thin horizontal plastic sticking out that divides the case from the cover to the base of box

Owner convinced me to go for a seat cover which was exactly like the original stuff but, much thicker and darker which now blends nicely into the overall bike

Left the coocase with him overnight and next day it was ready along with the seat cover both of which were fitted in 15 minutes and off I went to Kawasaki Showroom where I was scheduled for my 2nd Service appointment

However, I decided to skip it at last minute due to some personal work that came up which needed my attention immediately. Therefore, I just got the Barkbuster handguards fixed and chain lubed and both which put a big dent in the pocket for labor

They charged me an exorbitant amount of INR 0/- for this service

Enjoying my great run with "Kawasaki"

Original Seat Cover

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-original-seat.jpg

Darker seat cover added on top of the original seat cover. Come on, you blade runners, let's play ball together

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-darker-seat-cover.jpg

Coocase is now cushioned. The top portion due to the curvature of the box is slightly uneven but, functionality is what matters

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-backrest.jpg

Barkbusters installed. Looks cool as well as now protected from falls, wind, rain, snow (err...)

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-bb1.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-bb2.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-bb3.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-bb4.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th September 2016 at 11:55.
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 13:10   #335
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Coocase is now cushioned. The top portion due to the curvature of the box is slightly uneven but, functionality is what matters
That's a good idea Avi. And will be very comfy for the pillion rider. Hope the cushioning does not restrict the opening of the case.

Now just an arm rest in either side and you'll have a Vulcan 650
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 07:43   #336
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

[i]Coocase is now cushioned. The top portion due to the curvature of the box is slightly uneven
Super avi. Pillion can now doze off.

Why did you opt for cushioning on top and botttom of coocase. The standard backrests are normally fitted on top portion only and that two only as wide the bottom one in your install.

Now the 2017 upgrades are announced. Any info on when it will reach indian shores?

Many thanks for sharing all the useful mods.
sps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 09:06   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
That's a good idea Avi. And will be very comfy for the pillion rider. Hope the cushioning does not restrict the opening of the case.
Absolutely not. I got it done in such a way that functionality is not hampered

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Now just an arm rest in either side and you'll have a Vulcan 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Super avi. Pillion can now doze off.

Why did you opt for cushioning on top and bottom of coocase. The standard backrests are normally fitted on top portion only and that two only as wide the bottom one in your install.
My wife tested the cushion during a short ride around our colony and she was ecstatic with the comfort it provided and now is behind my life for a long ride..LOL

What you said is right but, I just went with the recommendation by the seat store and I trust him because entire town goes to him and at any given day you will see at least 10-20 bullets parked outside his store for some job or other.

Once the job was done, I realized his suggestion made sense. Bottom portion of cushion provides support to lower back/acts as lumbar support while the top portion is useful when you aren't sitting ramrod straight and would like to lean back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Now the 2017 upgrades are announced. Any info on when it will reach indian shores?
I know about it as much all of you. Since Versys 650 is a super-hit motorcycle in India, they might release this version late 2017

However, they should first focus on releasing the international colors. The orange and yellow in Versys is so yummy !!!

Yesterday being a festival holiday and pooja at home to begin late morning decided last minute to go for a quick ride (215kms overall) with a close pal

I'm not much into selfies but, we tried out a few yesterday. Excuse us for some of these grotesque selfie pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-3.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-6.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-5.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-1.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 13:27   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught up with some old Triumph friends and we enjoyed a lovely 250kms ride this morning. Weather was simply outstanding, it was cloudy and while returning it poured heavily for some time.

Absolutely great way to start the weekend with some crazy stuff in store tomorrow to celebrate my 10 years as a member on Team-BHP (coincidence)....Team-BHP Drive meet with 35+ cars, 55 BHPians and 1100kms of overall driving (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post4054056)

Triple the fun

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_8828.jpg

This "piece of art" rode with us

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-1.jpg

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-3.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th September 2016 at 13:29.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 21:23   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Can't wait to lay my hands on this top-case at this mouth-watering price

Their website : http://www.coocase.com/showcase.html

P.S: Only draw-back is the 120kmph speed limit
Hello Avi sir, I bought the same case and if you remember we had a brief interaction for the same on pm. The case is fantastic.

My base plate (plastic) has broken unfortunately. I am not being able to find the base plate online anywhere. Can you guide me where to get it.

Has anyone custom made it ? Is it possible to fabricate it as I cant see the base plate being sold anywhere as an accessory.
Old 14th September 2016, 15:02   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Hello Avi sir, I bought the same case and if you remember we had a brief interaction for the same on pm. The case is fantastic.
Glad to know you are liking the Coocase. It hasn't fallen down yet even during high speed runs (Much beyond the speed limit warning on it) so you can say I'm happy with it

Btw, since when did I become a SIR?

Feel free to call me Avinash/Avi as the whole world calls me.....

Quote:
My base plate (plastic) has broken unfortunately. I am not being able to find the base plate online anywhere. Can you guide me where to get it.
A few things first that you did not explain

1. Do you ride a Versys? Or is it fitted on some other bike?

2. Are you using the Coocase just on plastic base plate? Well, that's commendable because it was discussed here and advised by Haroon also that just the plastic plate will not last long you need to augment it with a steel base plate to support it overall

Coming to your query : I dont think you can get just a base plate again but, try it from the same store.

Coming to building a base iron rack to mount the coocase then you can approach the store in Bombay who can do it for you (He has built it for a couple of Versys in Bombay) OR,

You can approach another V owner from Pune who has done a very neat job (I like his mounting rack better) and can help you sourcing one for your bike. Perhaps he working in an automotive org has helped come up with a better design and finish

Quote:
Has anyone custom made it ? Is it possible to fabricate it as I cant see the base plate being sold anywhere as an accessory.
Sending the Pune V owner number to you by PM

Hope this help?
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 23:13   #341
CGB
BHPian

Avi, redliner, urban nomad look what I did for her today those old fog lamps which I used in my duke are now in versys ! Will post more pics tomorrow !
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4757.jpg  

CGB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 23:24   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Avi, redliner, urban nomad look what I did for her today those old fog lamps which I used in my duke are now in versys ! Will post more pics tomorrow !
Aha! So you pulled the trigger on this one! I already see the PUIG windshield on. What else have you got planned? Barkbusters, engine guard, center stand, side stand extender, sump guard, panniers, top box, dual purpose tyres, phew!

Wait a sec, I just spotted engine guards too. They look like the PUIG stuff.

Welcome to journeys swiftly travelled.

Last edited by Red Liner : 24th September 2016 at 23:27.
Old 25th September 2016, 16:02   #343
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like a panther.
Can you share more details on fixing clamps, wiring and switch install. A picture on the light throw also
Old 25th September 2016, 23:31   #344
CGB
BHPian

Wiring and switch I'll share with you. Have used hella relay along with switch. Clamps have been used from FNG which mounted on crash guard.

Attaching the pic for light throw. It's pretty powerful and tight throw as expected.

Left is with low beam. Right is low beam with aux lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Wait a sec, I just spotted engine guards too. They look like the PUIG stuff.

Welcome to journeys swiftly travelled.
Engine guards and barn door are from puig. Have installed spools. Nothing more than it.
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-img_4869.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th September 2016 at 08:29. Reason: Merging Posts as its before 30 mins. Please use EDIT button to add content to existing post if its before 30 mins
CGB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 07:39   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wiring and switch I'll share with you. Have used hella relay along with switch. Clamps have been used from FNG which mounted on crash guard.

Attaching the pic for light throw. It's pretty powerful and tight throw as expected.

Left is with low beam. Right is low beam with aux lights
Oh ho. There is absolutely no throw at all. Any throw that is available is provided by the high beam. I think its been mounted far too low to be of any effect. Please remount on the number plate mounts (relocate the numberplate) with a stronger clamp to see if it improves. Just a suggestion, doesnt need to be done ofcourse.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks