Voters: 533. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2013, 16:54   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport versus Renault Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
In Pune, base model of Ecosport costs 6.5 L OTR with many features. Top end of Duster costs around 14 Lacs i guess. So actually you can buy 2 ES in the price of one Duster top end. Or by adding small amount you can buy one diesel & one petrol ESport instead of one top end Duster. I know its a bad comparison, but still its worth considering. Duster was good initially with VFM pricing, but they have increased it so much that it has lost its VFM tag. Same happened with XUV as well. Soon we will be able to see Duster numbers declining
Now thats a feel good post

I am one person who doesn't so much believe in top end models (having purchased Swift Ldi, Punto Active Diesel - My ex cars) at-least when it comes to my daily run cars.

For me the base diesel EcoSport makes a great case for itself in the VFM department

Last edited by karan561 : 6th July 2013 at 16:56.
karan561 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 11:40   #182
BHPian

After so much of hesitation, comparisions I have voted for the Ford EcoSport.
It seems to be a nice overall package and VFM compare to any other car in this segment.
Old 7th July 2013, 13:20   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
And precisely why test drive forms today ask the prospect to sign that any damage caused to the vehicle while during the test drive and resolving the damages back to existing condition is purely the responsibility of the individual behind the wheel.
OT, but the same thing does not apply when you give your car for servicing. The same dealer will make you sign a form that also includes that any damages (even if caused by them) is on you.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 15:27   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
OT, but the same thing does not apply when you give your car for servicing. The same dealer will make you sign a form that also includes that any damages (even if caused by them) is on you.

True! And we need a regulatory body for vehicle manufacturers and service centres to control all the crap that the dealerships and manufacturers put us through.
Old 8th July 2013, 09:47   #185
BHPian

Just saw a Ecosport in this weekend.

For the fencepost audience in this thread (like myself earlier): I would suggest to go and have a dekko at this car first. Its just a tall hatchback and is TINY. and seriously does not stand a chance against the Duster.
And conversely,the Duster's equipment levels doesnt stand an outside chance if pitted against a modern gadget crazy hatchback. (read, an ES)

From the outside itself, the ES looks so damn claustrophobic; leave alone for the folks who are gonna be sitting inside.

Nevertheless, it is a good alternative to have in the current starved market and Hatchback buying folks are seriously gonna convert. and they should.

But for now, the Duster stands its grounds of being the only proper Compact SUV around here.
BUXX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 11:17   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Just saw a Ecosport in this weekend.

For the fencepost audience in this thread (like myself earlier): I would suggest to go and have a dekko at this car first. Its just a tall hatchback and is TINY. and seriously does not stand a chance against the Duster.
And conversely,the Duster's equipment levels doesnt stand an outside chance if pitted against a modern gadget crazy hatchback.
Yes, took TD on Saturday, agree completely with your views

The rear seat is not that small and uncomfortable to use,
overall it's an amazing product.
3 years ago when I bought a hatch when my family was just 2 of us, I would have bought this over any hatchback ! For that matter Sedan too ,
Now with 5 occupants mostly a spacious Sedan or Ertiga makes sense at least for me.

If ertiga was reviewed as 85% of Innova at 35% lesser in price. .. and sells like hot cakes !
We can say ES to be 90% or more of Duster at 20 % lesser in price. .. So VFM

Last edited by drkritik : 8th July 2013 at 11:20.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:22   #187
Senior - BHPian

Can never ever buy the duster especially with those horrible interiors. They aren't fit for a car worth 8 lakhs otr, let alone 14. The ecosport takes it easily.
Old 8th July 2013, 13:31   #188
BHPian

Surprised to see such an overwhelming response towards Ecosport when many members feel that in the first place, this comparison itself should not be taking place. Anyways, my vote is for Duster.

Going by the thread, does this mean the end of road for tried and tested, top end, similar priced, Scorpio and Storme. I believe scorpio 4WD still is better "SUV" rather than a Duster or Ecosport hatch (high GC hatch, if we may call so).

Scorpio is built to take a lot more abuse than these 2 cars and provides you the freedom to go anywhere. If someone was purely looking for a 4-5 seator with decent highway capabilities I would still prefer the Swift / Ritz / i20 / Fabia or other premium Top end hatches which cost less than 10L but are time tested and better performers.

Else, if high GC and bad road handling is the prime requirement, I believe Duster is a better bet than ES.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:33   #189
BHPian

My vote is for the Duster. I agree that it is overpriced and the interiors are not up to the mark. But considering my requirements and between these two options, I will choose the Duster.

Reasons for my vote (prioritized my requirements):
  • I prefer a vehicle which is spacious and confortable for 5 pax. Here EcoSport loses
  • Next comes the looks. It is subjective and I am not very finicky about the looks
  • Feature list comes next and I agree Duster is no match for EcoSport. But as you can see, this is not on top of the list and I can live with it
  • Finally the Vitamin M part. Again here the EcoSport is the winner. But since it does not offer me the space for 5th passenger I can never consider it. If it had offered me more space at the rear, this would have been the car for me.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 14:34   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I would suggest to go and have a dekko at this car first. Its just a tall hatchback and is TINY. and seriously does not stand a chance against the Duster.
I guess there are a lot of people who are just looking for an affordable car which is slightly bigger than a hatch with good gadgetry and very good ground clearance to tackle the Indian roads. And the EcoSport is just that. If this model had been in the market when I was looking to buy my first car, I would have bought this without a second thought.

The Duster is a good vehicle if you do not consider the quality of its interiors, but it is extremely overpriced for what it is.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 15:01   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
I guess there are a lot of people who are just looking for an affordable car which is slightly bigger than a hatch with good gadgetry and very good ground clearance to tackle the Indian roads. And the EcoSport is just that. If this model had been in the market when I was looking to buy my first car, I would have bought this without a second thought.
+1. This is the reason, why many mentioned that the poll may not realistic. Because a substantial part of population voting for the Ecosport, come from a hatch upgrade point of view. So the target which Ecosport caters to is much wider than the Duster. (Which is actually good for the Ecosport).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 21:42   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Because a substantial part of population voting for the Ecosport, come from a hatch upgrade point of view.
Agree, for owners of A/B1 segment hatches. A person upgrading from a B2 hatch wouldn't (well.. ideally shouldn't) see too much value in the EcoSport. The cabin is just a tiny bit larger, and the power output is comparable. Handling? Hmm well that goes down a couple of notches owing to the higher ground clearance. What about the features? Pretty much all the hatches have top variants loaded to the gills with technology.

All a B2 hatch owner would get from 'upgrading' to the EcoBoost would be a (slightly) higher view of the road. But this combination is just perfect for someone looking to buy their first car. And if I'm not mistaken, this is Ford's chosen target segment for this car.

Last edited by EagleEye : 8th July 2013 at 22:06.
Old 8th July 2013, 21:49   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
All a hatch owner would get from 'upgrading' to the EcoBoost would be a (slightly) higher view of the road. But this combination is just perfect for someone looking to buy their first car.

I think upgrade may be a wrong word. Hence the confusion. What I meant was that a substantial section of people in the market targeting premium hatches (or as you said upgrading from basic hatch) would be interested in this product. That is where their budget draws a line. So as an answer to their requirements, Ecosport fits in well.

I am not saying if their budget was higher, they would buy the Duster. But at least they would consider other products also.

Last edited by ampere : 8th July 2013 at 21:50.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 00:42   #194
Senior - BHPian

I was upgrading from a Polo D, was mainly looking at another hatch until the Ecosport was launched. It being the second car at home,fit our requirements to the T, bigger cabin than the Polo,more powerful,reasonably big boot,waay more features,handling was one notch low but not frighteningly bad,the most important of it all was the GC which gives me a lot more flexibility than if I was stuck with a low slung sedan and a hatch.

If I was looking at a proper 5 seater SUV, would I have considered the Duster ? Most probably yes,but with the rear AC vents not sure how comfortable the 5th passenger would've been.
Old 9th July 2013, 08:23   #195
BHPian

+1 to the Duster(AWD) anyday.
I don't care how much eco-sporty the other is because it looks like a fancy hatch, ie bad. 100% overdone with the exterior & nowhere close to the compliant drive as in the Duster. Old school always ride circles around funkiness & an improved Duster with AWD will do just that to the other thing, even if they price it a bit more.
SandyX is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks